PDA

View Full Version : So when are the Spurs going to age?

Jets012
12-04-2015, 12:43 AM
I mean I admire the Spurs more than any other team, but this is just ridiculous at this point. Last season we thought we finally saw Tony Parker begin a long decline. This season he's shooting 56% from the field and is having another ridiculously efficient night.

Then you got Ginobili. Manu's 38 and he's still playing like one of the best SGs in the league. He's another guy that looked like he was starting to regress the last year and a half or so. This year he's been great. His on/off court #s clearly show that he's extremely valuable.

And then there's Duncan. Dude is going to turn 40 soon and he might just be the best defensive player in the league. He's ageless, it's incredible.

I mean, it's not like they're getting anything out of Danny Green right now. He's been awful. LMA has also been awful for his standards as well. Besides Leonard, these guys are the x-factors for why SA is about to be 16-4 right now.

Nothing but respect for them right now. Hope they continue.

TrueFan420
12-04-2015, 01:15 AM
It's probably the most impressive thing about the Spurs. They just keep plugging along.

dnl123
12-04-2015, 01:31 AM
They have aged but they have a great coach who knows how to keep utilizing them. None of those guys are playing the minutes they used to and none of them relied to heavily on their athletic ability other than maybe Parker and he has adjusted well. I give Pop a lot of credit for his history of doing this with players.

On a crazy side note I really believe if Kobe checked his ego at the door and went to San Antonio Popovich could get 2 more years out of him and he could compete for a championship. I know it will never happen but it's fun to think about.

flea
12-04-2015, 01:37 AM
Parker/Duncan can P&R as well as anyone still. Duncan features more as a facilitator out of the play now but it's still a giant part of their offense because it's so rhythmic. Parker won't put up 18 this year but he's capable of maintaining his pace if he's healthy, and Duncan can still score in the post vs. anyone when he needs to. Rim protector and primary distributor are the 2 most difficult positions in the NBA and the Spurs have future HOF veterans that are still able to perform that role for 2/3 to 3/4 of the game depending on need - that is a great start for any team.

Plus, Ginobili is still good at his role as an all-purpose guard and hustle player so long as he's healthy. That's what happens when teams play together so long, people were saying this in 2007 when they'd been together just 5 years. It's been 12 years now and they've got 2 good wings and a great bench to buoy it - they're easy contenders just like they have been every year since Duncan entered the league.

Probably the undisputed 2nd best team, and that's saying nothing about Leonard who has developed his classic SF game. I know Pop's had him watching Barkley tape but his game really reminds me of mid-career MJ. No he's not as athletic and doesn't have the handle, passing, or post moves yet of prime MJ but his off-ball work through screens, the high lift on his midrange jumpers, and decisiveness when he cuts reminds me of it. He's got a better hook shot going right than MJ ever did though.

Spurs are proving post play and D still kills, even in an era where you have to let jumpshooters roam free through screens and get their shots off free of even the slightest contact. Once LMA gets his rhythm down too they will be a nightmare of Parker/Mills P&Rs combined with Bulls era triple post offense, plus D. Just hope we get to see Warriors vs. Spurs healthy in the postseason - it should be settled on the court.

tredigs
12-04-2015, 01:47 AM
Aha is it the annual "When Will The Spurs Age?" thread time already? Been having these since I joined this site in '09 and that's not an exaggeration what so ever.

They're rated the top organization in sports for a reason and the big 3 + Kawhi are a force. So is LMA if he can fully figure out/master his role. Them winning another ship with this core would not shock me.

slaker619
12-04-2015, 02:23 AM
Honestly been waiting for them to age, but just seems to never happen

nastynice
12-04-2015, 05:43 AM
never. They will never age. It is beyond ridiculous at this point.

*tbh, it was beyond ridiculous 3 yrs ago

Big Zo
12-04-2015, 07:05 AM
When they finally start getting tested for steroids. :D

BHF
12-04-2015, 09:58 AM
When they finally start getting tested for steroids. :D

Speaking of roids they never tested Wade who was 100% on steroids.

Scoots
12-04-2015, 10:43 AM
They are aging, but they have also re-tooled pretty well along the way.

Avenged
12-04-2015, 10:47 AM
They have the greatest coach of all time.. That pretty much sums it up.

omdigga
12-04-2015, 10:48 AM
The Spurs dont age, they adjust.. getting superstars who arent egocentric is key.

Avenged
12-04-2015, 10:58 AM
They have aged but they have a great coach who knows how to keep utilizing them. None of those guys are playing the minutes they used to and none of them relied to heavily on their athletic ability other than maybe Parker and he has adjusted well. I give Pop a lot of credit for his history of doing this with players.

On a crazy side note I really believe if Kobe checked his ego at the door and went to San Antonio Popovich could get 2 more years out of him and he could compete for a championship. I know it will never happen but it's fun to think about.

Kobe is the type of player the Spurs are not about. And the Spurs are the type of team Kobe is not about.. He wants/loves to be the alpha.. Heck, even now when he's putting up one of the worst seasons of all-time..

IBleedPurple
12-04-2015, 10:58 AM
Thought it'd be 3 years ago. Since it hasn't happened yet, I'm going with never.

Big Zo
12-04-2015, 11:57 AM
Speaking of roids they never tested Wade who was 100% on steroids.

Everyone is.

Stinkyoutsider
12-04-2015, 12:38 PM
One word why the Spurs are ageless : adaptability

Pop doesn't have an ego which helps him be one of the best coaches in league history. I can just see Pop in a team meeting and if something doesn't work, he just throws it out. All players in the team are treated the same and are equal. Pop will chew out Duncan just like he'll chew out some undrafted rookie on the team. That sort of treatment really motivates players to enjoy their environment and play well.

I think Duncan, Parker, and Manu also have no ego. Duncan can just as easily pout and drag down the court if he's not getting the ball but instead he has no ego and plays hard anyway. And I still think Leonard has no emotions what so ever because no matter what's going on, he keeps the straight face and continues to grind.

Wish my team could follow the Spurs in the way they play ball...

tsubibo
12-04-2015, 01:34 PM
Popovich has done a great job with the team knowing their roles. Not to mention they have had a steals in the draft.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-04-2015, 06:36 PM
Well once they finally age like all expect them too. They will hit rock bottom hard when they do. Or left in the dust when some these guys decide to retire and Spurs have nothing but bad spot in the late rounds of the draft and Spurs usually don't go after free agents. This offseason was first time in long time they went after a big name player. But I'm sure even when like Duncan and Ginobili and Parker retire I'm sure the organization will bounce back fast with a late pick and hit a home run and be near playoffs once again. Franchise is a class act/top notch. I only seen them falter once. That's when David Robinson got hurt but hit jack pot and drafted Duncan.

kdspurman
12-04-2015, 09:58 PM
Well once they finally age like all expect them too. They will hit rock bottom hard when they do. Or left in the dust when some these guys decide to retire and Spurs have nothing but bad spot in the late rounds of the draft and Spurs usually don't go after free agents. This offseason was first time in long time they went after a big name player. But I'm sure even when like Duncan and Ginobili and Parker retire I'm sure the organization will bounce back fast with a late pick and hit a home run and be near playoffs once again. Franchise is a class act/top notch. I only seen them falter once. That's when David Robinson got hurt but hit jack pot and drafted Duncan.

Idk about rock bottom when they retire. Kawhi is only 24 and they have other young pieces + LMA even when they do. So it's possible they are not as elite as they are now, but rock bottom hard any time soon seems far-fetched IMO. Or maybe it's wishful thinking (?) Lol

& by the time Kawhi gets old, maybe they'll have something else in the works.

nastynice
12-05-2015, 12:47 AM
Idk about rock bottom when they retire. Kawhi is only 24 and they have other young pieces + LMA even when they do. So it's possible they are not as elite as they are now, but rock bottom hard any time soon seems far-fetched IMO. Or maybe it's wishful thinking (?) Lol

x2. The FO finally made a big signing this off season for a reason. They're making sure they have talent available when their three guys either lose their legs or retire.

tsubibo
12-05-2015, 01:50 AM

Yeah. Even if the big three retires their system, with Kawhi and LA, would still manage to get them to the play-offs, not a top seed but at least into the play-offs.