PDA

View Full Version : Dario Saric's Father confirms his son IS coming over next season

basketballkitty
12-03-2015, 08:15 PM
There has been a lot of talk by some NBA writers that not withstanding Dario Saric earlier comments about coming over to the NBA next season that they said Saric will play out his full 3 years...and then come over, and not be tied to the rookie wage scale. Well we now know for sure that those writers are dead wrong....Saric's Dad confirms he is coming next season. That will not only keep Saric to his rookie wage scale for a full 4 years...but give Sam Hinkie another huge potential trade chip to perhaps use this year. Cause a lot of NBA teams love Saric's game and talent. And now that they know that he is coming over...it might draw a lot more trade talk.

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/12/03/philadelphia-76ers-dario-saric-will-play-next-season

5ass
12-03-2015, 08:57 PM
He's going to be a good player. Very unique. I think he'll be one of the best point forwards in the NBA.

da ThRONe
12-04-2015, 11:52 AM
Not sure how Philly expects to develop all those bigmen. They'll have to move at least one. Noel is the most likely candidate.

bleedprple&gold
12-04-2015, 02:17 PM
Not sure how Philly expects to develop all those bigmen. They'll have to move at least one. Noel is the most likely candidate.

Yeah don't know why they didn't just keep Elfrid Payton? It's like they absolutely refuse to draft guards in the first round.

2-ONE-5
12-04-2015, 02:39 PM
Why would we keep Payton when we had MCW at the time? Saric holds more trade value now anyway and is expected to be the better player (though im not the biggest Saric fan)

TheIlladelph16
12-04-2015, 02:56 PM
Yeah don't know why they didn't just keep Elfrid Payton? It's like they absolutely refuse to draft guards in the first round.

They did draft MCW, but also traded him too. The issue is that where they were picking, the best available was always big men.

5ass
12-04-2015, 03:10 PM
Why would we keep Payton when we had MCW at the time? Saric holds more trade value now anyway and is expected to be the better player (though im not the biggest Saric fan)

He's expected to be a better player? By who? Sixers fans? If Elfrid's shot becomes consistent, he'll be an elite PG. This year he has made almost as many threes as all of last year, and is shooting 72% from the FT line up from 55% last year. Hennigan always knew what he was doing by drafting guys and teaching them how to shoot. You can see the improvement in Oladipo, Vucevic, Nicholson, Harris, Gordon, etc. Hennigan knew what he was doing as he hired a great shooting coach. Saric is a nice player but has more than one limitation. This is coming from a Sari fan btw.

And the point is you would keep Payton because he's better than MCW, and because you believe in your staffs ability to develop him into a great player.

sixer04fan
12-04-2015, 03:22 PM
Ok let me know when Elfrid Payton with his .381 FG% develops a good shot and becomes an elite point guard. I'll be waiting.

The Sixers liked Saric more. And they still had MCW at the time. And they got their future first round pick back for Payton. Case closed. And it's not like they knew they'd be drafting another big man a year later when they traded Payton for Saric.

5ass
12-04-2015, 03:32 PM
Ok let me know when Elfrid Payton with his .381 FG% develops a good shot and becomes an elite point guard. I'll be waiting.

The Sixers liked Saric more. And they still had MCW at the time. And they got their future first round pick back for Payton. Case closed. And it's not like they knew they'd be drafting another big man a year later when they traded Payton for Saric.

Yeah never mind he's playing in a completely new system and a new coach. Never mind he's a great floor general, great rebounder, and great defender already. If you can't see how much his shot has improved you're not paying attention. Kyle Lowry was once a terrible shooter too and now he's taking over 7 threes a game and making them at over 40%. I'm not saying Payton will reach that level, but we have a good shooting coach and he has great work ethic.

Let me know when Saric plays an NBA game, before saying he'll be better than Payton. I don't think you can say that right now.

2-ONE-5
12-04-2015, 03:50 PM
He's expected to be a better player? By who? Sixers fans? If Elfrid's shot becomes consistent, he'll be an elite PG. This year he has made almost as many threes as all of last year, and is shooting 72% from the FT line up from 55% last year. Hennigan always knew what he was doing by drafting guys and teaching them how to shoot. You can see the improvement in Oladipo, Vucevic, Nicholson, Harris, Gordon, etc. Hennigan knew what he was doing as he hired a great shooting coach. Saric is a nice player but has more than one limitation. This is coming from a Sari fan btw.

And the point is you would keep Payton because he's better than MCW, and because you believe in your staffs ability to develop him into a great player.

I mean Saric has been voted the best player not in the NBA the last 2 years and was considered a top 10 talent the year before he was drafted when we withdrew. Its Paytons nice his FT% is up but his FG% is down like 4%. Payton and MCW are clones rather you want to admit it or not.

2-ONE-5
12-04-2015, 03:50 PM
Yeah never mind he's playing in a completely new system and a new coach. Never mind he's a great floor general, great rebounder, and great defender already. If you can't see how much his shot has improved you're not paying attention. Kyle Lowry was once a terrible shooter too and now he's taking over 7 threes a game and making them at over 40%. I'm not saying Payton will reach that level, but we have a good shooting coach and he has great work ethic.

Let me know when Saric plays an NBA game, before saying he'll be better than Payton. I don't think you can say that right now.

you are using the word great waaaay to loosely. He is 11th in rebs for his position behind MCW who is 4th. He is 14th in assist and again behind MCW, tied for 5th in steals with MCW and a few others. but yea that screams great to me too

sixer04fan
12-04-2015, 03:54 PM
When did I say that? I said the Sixers liked Saric more and already had a PG on the roster. That's the beginning and end of the story on that trade. Case closed. Again.

And yes I'm doubting Payton ever becomes a good shooter or an elite PG. If you feel the need to defend that, fine. But it's certainly not an unreasonable for me to think that.

5ass
12-04-2015, 03:57 PM
I mean Saric has been voted the best player not in the NBA the last 2 years and was considered a top 10 talent the year before he was drafted when we withdrew. Its Paytons nice his FT% is up but his FG% is down like 4%. Payton and MCW are clones rather you want to admit it or not.

Clones? Lol this is how I know you don't know anything about Payton. Payton made MCW his ***** just last week even though he's 3 years younger. MCW could barely dribble the court up the floor. Payton is a way smarter player, has a better handle, is a better passer, and is a better defender. Literally the only thing that they're similar at is that they're not good shooters. Again, his FG% is down because he's getting accustomed to a new role. He'll get that FG% up for sure.

Again, let me know when Saric becomes a good NBA player, not in Europe.

5ass
12-04-2015, 04:03 PM
you are using the word great waaaay to loosely. He is 11th in rebs for his position behind MCW who is 4th. He is 14th in assist and again behind MCW, tied for 5th in steals with MCW and a few others. but yea that screams great to me too

Yeah you don't know how to evaluate talent based on stats.
-Payton has a much lower TOV%
-has better AST%
-much better AST:TO%
- steals are not an indication of how good a defender you are, even Harden gets steals.
-the rebound % is about the same, both Payton and MCW are great rebounder for their positions.

I'm not using the term loosely at all, there's a reason why Payton is so effective. He's a huge part why the Magic are above 0.500

2-ONE-5
12-04-2015, 04:05 PM
yes you used it loosely. Payton isnt great at anything at the moment, literally nothing. He is an average player with room to grow. Why is that so hard to accept, its not even a bad thing.

MonroeFAN
12-04-2015, 04:08 PM
76er's gonna be so good

5ass
12-04-2015, 04:08 PM
When did I say that? I said the Sixers liked Saric more and already had a PG on the roster. That's the beginning and end of the story on that trade. Case closed. Again.

And yes I'm doubting Payton ever becomes a good shooter or an elite PG. If you feel the need to defend that, fine. But it's certainly not an unreasonable for me to think that.

Where did I say it wasn't a good trade for the Sixers? Still too soon to judge the trade, but at the time it looked like it made sense for the sixers. My guess is hennigan made the right trade. He's been criticized for basically every one of his moves so far and in the end always comes out on top. Could be a good trade for both teams as well. Who knows.

5ass
12-04-2015, 04:18 PM
yes you used it loosely. Payton isnt great at anything at the moment, literally nothing. He is an average player with room to grow. Why is that so hard to accept, its not even a bad thing.

Because you're wrong. When you're one of the best rebounder at your position you're great. He's easily one of the best defenders at his position how is that not great? I'm not saying he's a great overall player yet, but not great at anything? You're dead wrong.

warfelg
12-04-2015, 04:37 PM
We don't expect you to because of not being a Sixers fan, but Saric has been playing GREAT.basketball.

2-ONE-5
12-04-2015, 04:49 PM
Because you're wrong. When you're one of the best rebounder at your position you're great. He's easily one of the best defenders at his position how is that not great? I'm not saying he's a great overall player yet, but not great at anything? You're dead wrong.

but hes really not. come on man. i would given a pass if you said good but lets stop with great.

5ass
12-04-2015, 04:57 PM
but hes really not. come on man. i would given a pass if you said good but lets stop with great.

Not elite, but great yes. I dont expect u to understand since u think he's an MCW clone.

2-ONE-5
12-04-2015, 05:19 PM
they are! the numbers screaaaaam it. except MCW was prob better his first two years despite playing with d-leaguers. both project as mid pack starters

5ass
12-04-2015, 05:27 PM
We don't expect you to because of not being a Sixers fan, but Saric has been playing GREAT.basketball.

I watched him play in the summer eurobasket. He's very good at the euro level, but there are a lot of question marks as to how he will perform in the NBA. Here's my opinion...
1) he will play PF, not SF. He just isn't a good perimeter defender, and I doubt he'll be able to keep up with SFs.

2) he's undersized as a PF. I don't believe he'll ever be a good defender, even though he's better suited at that position. He doesn't have the length or athleticism. I'm also not sure he'd be a good post player against NBA talent. He's pretty good against smaller, weaker players, but I doubt he's very effective in the NBA. He gives good effort on the glass, and is a good rebounder in europe, but I'm not sure it'll be a strength in the NBA.

3) he needs the ball in his hands to maximize his talent, and though I think he's a really good point forward, is he going to run an offense better than your PG? He still turns the ball over a good amount. That's really my biggest issue with him, will he be effective without the ball in his hands? Will he be good enough where you want the ball in his hands on most possessions? Or will he fall somewhere in the middle and be a 6th man? We've already seen him clash with his coach in Efes because he took him off the ball a little bit towards the beginning of the season, and therefore saw his playing time reduce.

Again, I've always liked Saric. Even before he was drafted I liked him. He's a unique player, but let's calm down and see how his game translates to the NBA first.

5ass
12-04-2015, 05:29 PM
they are! the numbers screaaaaam it. except MCW was prob better his first two years despite playing with d-leaguers. both project as mid pack starters

You already proved you don't know which numbers to look at. How does he project to be as good as MCW when he's more efficient offensively, better defensively, and 3 years younger? Makes no sense when he's already better.

Synyster89
12-04-2015, 05:31 PM
5ass is never realistic about Magic players...he thinks Channing Frye is a good player. But I will agree with him that Payton>MCW. It isn't really close.

Also, people need to stop saying that the Sixers should have just kept Payton. We drafted him for the Magic, we never had any intention of keeping him. If we kept our pick at #10, it is highly likely that Saric would have been the pick.

5ass
12-04-2015, 05:38 PM
5ass is never realistic about Magic players...he thinks Channing Frye is a good player. But I will agree with him that Payton>MCW. It isn't really close.

Also, people need to stop saying that the Sixers should have just kept Payton. We drafted him for the Magic, we never had any intention of keeping him. If we kept our pick at #10, it is highly likely that Saric would have been the pick.

Channing Frye:
Per 36 minutes: 14 points, 8 rebounds, 44% 3 pt shooting most of his shots from downtown. He's also playing good defense. Yes, Frye is playing his role really well. He has been a good player this year. You do realize he's been starting on a +0.500 team, right?

5ass
12-04-2015, 05:40 PM
Please tell me what exactly do you not like about Channing Frye this year? He's as effective as he's ever been.

warfelg
12-04-2015, 05:45 PM
I watched him play in the summer eurobasket. He's very good at the euro level, but there are a lot of question marks as to how he will perform in the NBA. Here's my opinion...
1) he will play PF, not SF. He just isn't a good perimeter defender, and I doubt he'll be able to keep up with SFs.

If he plays the 3 it will be very limited minutes.

2) he's undersized as a PF. I don't believe he'll ever be a good defender, even though he's better suited at that position. He doesn't have the length or athleticism. I'm also not sure he'd be a good post player against NBA talent. He's pretty good against smaller, weaker players, but I doubt he's very effective in the NBA. He gives good effort on the glass, and is a good rebounder in europe, but I'm not sure it'll be a strength in the NBA.

Undersized for a PF?? When did roughly 6'10", 230 pounds, 7' wingspan become small for a 4? I guess Jahlil is a tiny center then because he's only 6'11". We didn't draft him for his post ability. We drafted him for his ability to move with the ball and be a point forward.

3) he needs the ball in his hands to maximize his talent, and though I think he's a really good point forward, is he going to run an offense better than your PG? He still turns the ball over a good amount. That's really my biggest issue with him, will he be effective without the ball in his hands? Will he be good enough where you want the ball in his hands on most possessions? Or will he fall somewhere in the middle and be a 6th man? We've already seen him clash with his coach in Efes because he took him off the ball a little bit towards the beginning of the season, and therefore saw his playing time reduce.

So 1.3 TO's a game is now considered turning it over a good amount?

Again, I've always liked Saric. Even before he was drafted I liked him. He's a unique player, but let's calm down and see how his game translates to the NBA first.

But we should consider a 2nd year PG who's been ok at best as a good young player?

Synyster89
12-04-2015, 05:52 PM
Please tell me what exactly do you not like about Channing Frye this year? He's as effective as he's ever been.

Please...he is shooting just 42.4% from the field and is averaging 5.9 points a game in that "starting role". He is virtually just a 3 point shooter. While he is off to a better start this year, he was horrible last season. Didn't he finish toward the bottom in the NBA in efficiency last season? You can have him for $32M.

5ass
12-04-2015, 05:59 PM
If he plays the 3 it will be very limited minutes.

Undersized for a PF?? When did roughly 6'10", 230 pounds, 7' wingspan become small for a 4? I guess Jahlil is a tiny center then because he's only 6'11". We didn't draft him for his post ability. We drafted him for his ability to move with the ball and be a point forward.

So 1.3 TO's a game is now considered turning it over a good amount?

But we should consider a 2nd year PG who's been ok at best as a good young player?
From what I remember people said he had a short wingspan. It's listed at 6'10 for most sites. Also he's not really strong for a PF. So undersized is probably not the right word, but his physical tools as a whole are below average.

He turned the ball over a good amount in the summer. Its 1.4 TO in 20 mpg, with 1.8 assists. So yeah he's not a turnover machine, but he does have some issues with turning the ball over.

warfelg
12-04-2015, 06:02 PM
So you took 2 small things, exaggerated them, and made Saric sound worse than he is.

5ass
12-04-2015, 06:05 PM
Please...he is shooting just 42.4% from the field and is averaging 5.9 points a game in that "starting role". He is virtually just a 3 point shooter. While he is off to a better start this year, he was horrible last season. Didn't he finish toward the bottom in the NBA in efficiency last season? You can have him for $32M.

He's shooting like 90% of his shots from three. His TS% is at 60% way ebove average. He is an elite 3 pt shooter at his position.
I'm talking about him this year being good, not last year. And no he shot a very average 55% TS last year, still shot 40% from three. Also his contract is fine. He draws a lot of attention, and stretch 4s are valuable. He also has only 14 mill left after this year. 7 mill/yr for two years is what role players are getting paid these days. His contract is fine, it doesn't have negative value.

2-ONE-5
12-04-2015, 06:14 PM

i hate PER. it always makes guys who play less mins than the avg player look good when in reality they are not capable of sustaining that level of play per 36 mins

5ass
12-04-2015, 06:15 PM
So you took 2 small things, exaggerated them, and made Saric sound worse than he is.

Not really, he does turn the ball over a good amount. You're taking his numbers from the 8 game sample size this year. He turned the ball over more the previous seasons.
But yes I was I guess I was wrong in that I didn't say "a little undersized" instead. His physical tools as a whole are below average for the PF position for sure.

warfelg
12-04-2015, 06:27 PM
So roughly 2 per game is a "good amount" of turnovers? Would put him outside the top 40 in most turnovers per game.

And he's still physically gifted. Not a freak athlete. But he's physically gifted enough to out maneuver plenty of NBA PF's. Also you manage to leave out he is a very above average ball handler for a PF, and a very good shooter as well.

JEDean89
12-04-2015, 06:31 PM
Here's my plan if i'm the 76ers. say they get a top 3 pick this year, but the lakers keep theirs. That is a conservative approach, as they should have an almost 50% chance to get that pick. Say they get the 2nd overall.

They need Jamal Murray. For the first time, they should say F the BPA, and take the guy they want, who is a 6' 5", athletic guard with a sweet stroke. He is almost guaranteed to be there at 2-3, because of the talented bigs in this class. Philly should just say **** Skal, **** Bender, **** Ingram. We need a ball handler who can shoot off the dribble, and create. That guy is Jamal Murray, and he is the best fit for the 76ers, though not the BPA available at the #2. You then feasibly go into next year with Murray, Saric, Okafor, Embiid and Noel and have to figure out who the Best 3 are, and what positions Saric and Murray play. I think Ideally, they want Saric to be a SF, which is how I view him. Then you have to trade Embiid and Noel, since they can't all play together. That should leave them with a nice young 3 man core to build around a PG, SF, and C, with all the draft picks in the world to build a nice team going forward. They would likely suck in 2016-2017, and 2017-2018, but those years would only increase their chance of getting that superduper star they want so bad. Come 2018-2019, they could be a playoff contender.

5ass
12-04-2015, 06:37 PM
So roughly 2 per game is a "good amount" of turnovers? Would put him outside the top 40 in most turnovers per game.

And he's still physically gifted. Not a freak athlete. But he's physically gifted enough to out maneuver plenty of NBA PF's. Also you manage to leave out he is a very above average ball handler for a PF, and a very good shooter as well.

He was 11th in Turnovers per game in eurobasket. His turnovers were clearly an issue some games.

He still has below average physical tools when it comes to the NBA level.

His ball handling is something I expect most people to know of, especially since I already mentioned he could be a point forward type. I'm not claiming him a bust. I already said I liked him. Very good shooter? I don't know about that he was very inconsistent the last three years. I need a bigger sample size to call him a very good shooter. He shot 31% from three and 70% at the FT line last year.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-04-2015, 06:50 PM
Not sure why people always say to many big men trade somebody. Heck most these guys are locked into rookie deals for a while yet. Once they sign them to baby max deals then yeah time to decide who stays and who goes. Then 76ers will know what they got. Heck Embiid didn't even play yet. Also 76ers don't even have to draft a guard.

They probably have like two baby max cap slots next summer probably. I haven't check their payroll but I'm probably close. 76ers could play spoilers with the big money and force other teams hands with RFA. Clarkson comes to mind with Lakers and Delly with Cavs. Read somewhere Lakers might not wanna pay Clarkson $10M plus per yet some other teams might. Also farther down the road Jazz will have to decide on their PG once Exum comes back healthy.

They paid both Burk/Burkes and have to decide which may have to go eventually once Exum commands a new payday in few years. Same goes for Kings and Rondo. Rondo wants a max after this season and Kings miss manage mess they probably bite and over pay. All it takes is a rookie to step up to force a older guy out. Look at Mudiay and Denver and Lawson hit the bricks.

Then again PG is the most over loaded dime a dozen position in the NBA. Kinda like Pistons got Jackson and could trade Jennings once he gets healthy.

Kleonidas
12-04-2015, 07:21 PM
would much rather have Payton, who is something special. Gets into the lane at ease. Still no guarantee Saric ever plays a minute in the NBA.

basketballkitty
12-04-2015, 07:22 PM
Here is what I know for a FACT!! If Saric was in this coming draft, and so was Payton....there is ZERO Doubt that Saric would go way before him. Saric has been consistently called the best Euro player the past 15 years, and is way way better then Porzingis is. He would likely be a top-3 pick in this draft...only behind Simmons, and maybe Skal Labissière.....Maybe. To even argue anything different is absolute stupidity.

5ass
12-04-2015, 07:34 PM
Here is what I know for a FACT!! If Saric was in this coming draft, and so was Payton....there is ZERO Doubt that Saric would go way before him. Saric has been consistently called the best Euro player the past 15 years, and is way way better then Porzingis is. He would likely be a top-3 pick in this draft...only behind Simmons, and maybe Skal Labissière.....Maybe. To even argue anything different is absolute stupidity.

Just... stop it.

JEDean89
12-04-2015, 07:36 PM
Not sure why people always say to many big men trade somebody. Heck most these guys are locked into rookie deals for a while yet. Once they sign them to baby max deals then yeah time to decide who stays and who goes. Then 76ers will know what they got. Heck Embiid didn't even play yet. Also 76ers don't even have to draft a guard.

They probably have like two baby max cap slots next summer probably. I haven't check their payroll but I'm probably close. 76ers could play spoilers with the big money and force other teams hands with RFA. Clarkson comes to mind with Lakers and Delly with Cavs. Read somewhere Lakers might not wanna pay Clarkson $10M plus per yet some other teams might. Also farther down the road Jazz will have to decide on their PG once Exum comes back healthy.

They paid both Burk/Burkes and have to decide which may have to go eventually once Exum commands a new payday in few years. Same goes for Kings and Rondo. Rondo wants a max after this season and Kings miss manage mess they probably bite and over pay. All it takes is a rookie to step up to force a older guy out. Look at Mudiay and Denver and Lawson hit the bricks.

Then again PG is the most over loaded dime a dozen position in the NBA. Kinda like Pistons got Jackson and could trade Jennings once he gets healthy.

Noel is up for an extension this summer. Do you honestly think he is staying? 76ers are looking at another 2+ years of being god awful. That's 1/4 of his career spent as one of, or the worst teams in the league. I wouldn't want anything to do with that. There is a lot of green grass franchises right now, Noel would look really good on the Lakers, Knicks, Mavs, Bulls, etc... Lots of teams could use him and you know that his agent doesn't want Philly.

5ass
12-04-2015, 07:38 PM
Noel is up for an extension this summer. Do you honestly think he is staying? 76ers are looking at another 2+ years of being god awful. That's 1/4 of his career spent as one of, or the worst teams in the league. I wouldn't want anything to do with that. There is a lot of green grass franchises right now, Noel would look really good on the Lakers, Knicks, Mavs, Bulls, etc... Lots of teams could use him and you know that his agent doesn't want Philly.
He'd be a RFA. If the Sixers want to keep him they can. Noel is not taking the QO and waiting a year to be a UFA like Monroe did. I'm sure Noel will try to cash in ASAP especially considering his injury history and play style.

basketballkitty
12-04-2015, 07:40 PM
Just... stop it.

Shouldn't you be doing some " Brokeback " mountain action on Payton right about now ?...He and his STELLAR 12.5 PER ( LMAO )

5ass
12-04-2015, 07:43 PM
Shouldn't you be doing some " Brokeback " mountain action on Payton right about now ?...He and his STELLAR 12.5 PER ( LMAO )

I can't understand you with Saric's balls in your mouth.

5ass
12-04-2015, 07:44 PM
You're sucking the hairs right off of them LOL

Kleonidas
12-04-2015, 07:46 PM

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nba/la-sp-nba-draft-2014-revise-20151129-story.html

LATIMES redraft 2014
Payton come in 2nd
Saric well they didn't rank him...

Notable dropouts, with original draft position: Embiid (3); Dante Exum (5); Nik Stauskas (8), Noah Vonleh (9), Dario Saric (12).

5ass
12-04-2015, 07:48 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/nba/la-sp-nba-draft-2014-revise-20151129-story.html

LATIMES redraft 2014
Payton come in 2nd
Saric well they didn't rank him...

Notable dropouts, with original draft position: Embiid (3); Dante Exum (5); Nik Stauskas (8), Noah Vonleh (9), Dario Saric (12).

Yeah, also I'd like to know how many 21 year old PGs are better than Payton.

warfelg
12-04-2015, 07:48 PM
would much rather have Payton, who is something special. Gets into the lane at ease. Still no guarantee Saric ever plays a minute in the NBA.

Ummmm.........what?

warfelg
12-04-2015, 07:50 PM

Too bad he isn't and he'll be a RFA, so not much of an option....

Kleonidas
12-04-2015, 08:01 PM
Fivethirtyeight's CARMELO ranked the 53 best franchise players in the NBA. Payton was 14th. Saric again wasn't ranked.

Kleonidas
12-04-2015, 08:04 PM
Ummmm.........what?
He's the next Fran Vazquez.

basketballkitty
12-04-2015, 08:10 PM
Payton doesn't even average 2.7 FT Attempts a game....yeah...that's the sign of a great PG. Not to mention that GREAT 38 % FG shooting, and what...33 % from 3pt line ??? And as stated...what that tremendous 12.5 PER.......LOL!!!

warfelg
12-04-2015, 08:11 PM
He's the next Fran Vazquez.

Considering everything points to him coming you're dreaming.

5ass
12-04-2015, 08:16 PM
Payton doesn't even average 2.7 FT Attempts a game....yeah...that's the sign of a great PG. Not to mention that GREAT 38 % FG shooting, and what...33 % from 3pt line ??? And as stated...what that tremendous 12.5 PER.......LOL!!!

Noel is shooting 41% as a 7 footer and has a PER of 9.5. he must be a bust...... LOL!!

I'm still waiting for you to find a better 21 yr old PG, but take your time.

Kleonidas
12-04-2015, 08:21 PM
Considering everything points to him coming you're dreaming.Year two. Where is he? If he wanted to be there, he would be there already. Mario and Porzingis wanted to be in the NBA, and they are. Dario, not so much.

basketballkitty
12-04-2015, 08:22 PM
Age doesn't matter, it's years in the league...Payton is in his second...and his numbers are off considerably. And unlike Noel, who has played the entire season severaly Injured with tendonitis....Payton doesn't have that excuse. But back to the thread......Saric IS a better talent then Payton. Hell, he's a better true facilitator of the offense as well. But hey, your Ghetto PG does don a great 70's Militant Fro though!!

Kleonidas
12-04-2015, 08:30 PM
Noel is shooting 41% as a 7 footer and has a PER of 9.5. he must be a bust...... LOL!!

I'm still waiting for you to find a better 21 yr old PG, but take your time.

I don't know about him being a bust. Soft, certainly. Remember Jason Smith owning him in Philly? Imagine, drafting at 3 and not taking Porzingis. keke Sam is the gift that keeps giving. Thanks for Vucevic btw.

warfelg
12-04-2015, 08:38 PM
Year two. Where is he? If he wanted to be there, he would be there already. Mario and Porzingis wanted to be in the NBA, and they are. Dario, not so much.

Because his contract with his Turkish team had an unaffordable buyout after one year. He actually tried to come over prior to this season, but the team asked for a larger upfront buyout (IIRC it's $5mil) than what he could do+what the Sixers could add.

Mario and Porzingis could come over right away because they were not under contract with a team when they were drafted.

Wanna keep trying? You're just mad drafting a Euro player backfired on your team.

warfelg
12-04-2015, 08:41 PM
I don't know about him being a bust. Soft, certainly. Remember Jason Smith owning him in Philly? Imagine, drafting at 3 and not taking Porzingis. keke Sam is the gift that keeps giving. Thanks for Vucevic btw.

Jesus more idiotic statements:
Vuc was under Doug Collins NOT Sam Hinkie
Okafor is the right pick over Porz, even right now.
Jason Smith owned him? Oh you mean getting away with 2 cheap shots the refs ignored.

Kleonidas
12-04-2015, 08:49 PM
Jason Smith owned him? Oh you mean getting away with 2 cheap shots the refs ignored.

Who went down faster after being hit...Noel or Ronda Rousey? Judges say... Noel.

5ass
12-04-2015, 08:51 PM
Age doesn't matter, it's years in the league...Payton is in his second...and his numbers are off considerably. And unlike Noel, who has played the entire season severaly Injured with tendonitis....Payton doesn't have that excuse. But back to the thread......Saric IS a better talent then Payton. Hell, he's a better true facilitator of the offense as well. But hey, your Ghetto PG does don a great 70's Militant Fro though!!

Lol at age doesn't matter. Players drop out of the lottery sometimes because they're a little older. Mirotic was almost as good as a rookie as Wiggins, but there's no question who the better prospect is. Payton is being forced into a new role on offense. The Magic are expecting him to shoot, when last year he would barely shoot. He shot 42.5% in his rookie year if you're just looking at that. This year he is taking open jump shots, and while he's not very good, he's only 21 yrs old and is way better than last year. He has 4-6 years before he reaches his prime. If the improvement I'm seeing this year is consistent I do not see why he can't be a decent shooter. Seeing as how shooting is the basically the ONLY hole in his game, and he has great attributes, I have his ceiling higher than Saric's, but whatever helps you sleep at night.

Kleonidas
12-04-2015, 08:53 PM
I understand your frustrations. Magic have an above .500 club with key parts given too them from Philly for nothing in return. Left with only a dumpster fire to watch. A ten win season is highly entertaining. I'm pulling for them to make it!!!

warfelg
12-04-2015, 09:01 PM
Who went down faster after being hit...Noel or Ronda Rousey? Judges say... Noel.

So nothing more than a trollish comment in response? Cool.

Hawkeye15
12-04-2015, 09:20 PM
Can someone tell me about Saric? Sorry, I know nothing of his game.

I kinda hope they land Simmons, and are the mirror of the Wolves (hopefully :)) in 2 years.

warfelg
12-04-2015, 09:28 PM
Can someone tell me about Saric? Sorry, I know nothing of his game.

I kinda hope they land Simmons, and are the mirror of the Wolves (hopefully :)) in 2 years.

6'10" Power forward with some amazing point forward skills. Can shoot enough outside and has enough of a jump shot to make defenders respect him. He's got some great vision and is quite a crafty passer. If I had to name a player his skill set reminds me of, maybe a bit of Scottie Pippen/Lamar Odom.

Alayla
12-04-2015, 09:34 PM
Year two. Where is he? If he wanted to be there, he would be there already. Mario and Porzingis wanted to be in the NBA, and they are. Dario, not so much.

Have you not seen the number of articles all confirming he will be here next season? Or are you ignoreing them intentionally ignoring them trying desperately to make a point.

5ass
12-04-2015, 09:37 PM
More like a motivated Boris Diaw IMO, but Diaw was way more athletic in his early years.

Alayla
12-04-2015, 09:38 PM

Retrospectively? sure if we redrafted today? Hell No

warfelg
12-04-2015, 09:38 PM
Have you not seen the number of articles all confirming he will be here next season? Or are you ignoreing them intentionally ignoring them trying desperately to make a point.

Honestly at this point I think it's just kinda trolling. No other reason to ignore reports as to he's coming over, and the fact that he was under contract when drafted.

warfelg
12-04-2015, 09:42 PM
Retrospectively? sure if we redrafted today? Hell No

I would still do it. As much as I poke at Okafor, he hasn't had the luxury of playing with the talent Porzingis has around him.

5ass
12-04-2015, 09:45 PM
Honestly at this point I think it's just kinda trolling. No other reason to ignore reports as to he's coming over, and the fact that he was under contract when drafted.

Magic fans just usually are sceptical about that because picking Fran Vazquez over Granger bit us in the *** LOL. Who knows what would've happened if we had added Granger to the Dwight teams. I remember some Magic fans were worried Mario won't come over.

warfelg
12-04-2015, 09:49 PM
Magic fans just usually are sceptical about that because picking Fran Vazquez over Granger bit us in the *** LOL. Who knows what would've happened if we had added Granger to the Dwight teams. I remember some Magic fans were worried Mario won't come over.

The Vazquez thing sucks. And I get it.

But so far Vazquez has turned out to be the exception than the rule when it comes to picking Euro players high in the draft. For the most part they always come over unless the team that owns their rights never really gives them the chance.

So to use him as a reason in a discussion like this is just...wrong. I have other words I could use if I wanted to but I don't.

5ass
12-04-2015, 09:56 PM
The Vazquez thing sucks. And I get it.

But so far Vazquez has turned out to be the exception than the rule when it comes to picking Euro players high in the draft. For the most part they always come over unless the team that owns their rights never really gives them the chance.

So to use him as a reason in a discussion like this is just...wrong. I have other words I could use if I wanted to but I don't.

Yeah whether it's right or wrong is another discussion. I'm just explaining the reasoning.

warfelg
12-04-2015, 10:01 PM
Yeah whether it's right or wrong is another discussion. I'm just explaining the reasoning.

And I don't mind. I know the history of Vazquez. But this is like the "one girl cheated on me so they are all cheaters" reasoning as to why a friend shouldn't start dating someone new.

And as far as I'm aware Vazquez is the only lotto Euro pick to never play here.

5ass
12-04-2015, 10:06 PM
And I don't mind. I know the history of Vazquez. But this is like the "one girl cheated on me so they are all cheaters" reasoning as to why a friend shouldn't start dating someone new.

And as far as I'm aware Vazquez is the only lotto Euro pick to never play here.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those fans. I'm just saying some Magic fans are more sceptical than other fans. Even after all the reports that Mario was coming over, some had to see it to believe it.

warfelg
12-04-2015, 10:10 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those fans. I'm just saying some Magic fans are more sceptical than other fans. Even after all the reports that Mario was coming over, some had to see it to believe it.

Yea I guess what can you do? I dunno. I think rather than saying "he's never coming over", should have left with "he isn't here til he's here".

Synyster89
12-04-2015, 10:51 PM
I still don't get why this becomes a Payton vs. Saric debate. They are mutually exclusive. If the Sixers planned on keeping our pick at 10, it was virtually guaranteed to be Saric. Sixers got their guy in Saric and the Magic got their guy in Payton. We just got free value in the trade. Payton is clearly being over rated by Magic fans. Stats don't lie on him. He has never had a positive BPM, his PER, TS%, TR%, AST%, STL%, OPM, DPM, and VORP have all went down this season, on top of his usual brutal shooting %s. And I actually like him as a player. And Sixers fans are also over rating Saric. We can't even truly rate him yet until we at least plays against NBA caliber competion. Although his tape and improved #s for Efes in almost all metrics are encouraging.

5ass
12-04-2015, 11:13 PM
I still don't get why this becomes a Payton vs. Saric debate. They are mutually exclusive. If the Sixers planned on keeping our pick at 10, it was virtually guaranteed to be Saric. Sixers got their guy in Saric and the Magic got their guy in Payton. We just got free value in the trade. Payton is clearly being over rated by Magic fans. Stats don't lie on him. He has never had a positive BPM, his PER, TS%, TR%, AST%, STL%, OPM, DPM, and VORP have all went down this season, on top of his usual brutal shooting %s. And I actually like him as a player. And Sixers fans are also over rating Saric. We can't even truly rate him yet until we at least plays against NBA caliber competion. Although his tape and improved #s for Efes in almost all metrics are encouraging.

I'm not overrating Payton at all. Never once did I say he was a great player overall, but I do recognize he has high potential. Ever since the draft people were saying he can be elite if he develops a jump shot, it's nothing new. Some (including Chad Ford if I'm not mistaken) compared him to Gary Payton.

Where exactly do you think i'm overrating him? His stats suffered because of a new role, but they will improve throughout the season as he adjusts, check his stats last year in his last 42 games compared to his first 42. He did not regress as a player. For the millionth time, his role has changed. And even with that he has made winning play after winning play in the 4th quarter. There's a reason the Magic are the 6th seed in the east despite not being 22nd in TS%. Payton is a winner, and his impact goes way beyond his stats.

ewing
12-04-2015, 11:15 PM
this thread is still going huh

5ass
12-05-2015, 12:23 AM

This is the busiest PSD has been all year.

2-ONE-5
12-05-2015, 08:24 AM

should we start talking about Porzingis instead?

ewing
12-05-2015, 08:45 AM
should we start talking about Porzingis instead?

you wish

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-05-2015, 11:58 AM
My Bucks in 3 way tie for #5 lottery pick.

5ass
12-05-2015, 04:37 PM
My Bucks in 3 way tie for #5 lottery pick.

And you'd trade that pick for Saric? Makes no sense with Jabari and Giannis.

Gander13SM
12-06-2015, 04:34 AM
I'm intrigued to see what Philly do. This rebuild through money ball type ideas has been fascinating to watch a far.