PDA

View Full Version : Only a prideful man could shoot 30 percent from the floor

sheesh
12-03-2015, 05:23 PM
Kobe is on pace to have the worst season in like 50+ years.

He says he's retiring because he doesn't want to play after the wheels fall off. Well Kobe in case you haven't noticed the wheels have fallen off.

Shooting 31 percent from the floor at over 20 shots per 36 minutes. If he was true to his word he would hang up the shoes right now and walk away.

Instead he thinks he's the best player on the planet. How else could somebody take that many shots at that percentage?

He's not in that Duncan, KG mold that can accept their decline and move forward as the best player that they can be. He has to shoot a billion times a game. Miss a billions shots and go on a victory lap before he retires.

He can't swallow his pride because he's not capable of it.

KingPosey
12-03-2015, 05:39 PM
This is his farewell tour, as a King's fan there isn't a player ive despised more than Kobe, but he deserves his farewell tour. Its hard to watch and with the diminished skills you can clearly see Kobe's biggest flaw hes had through the years in his "hero ball", but on this Laker team who cares?
Hes "done", its clear, but I just don't see him staying THIS bad all year. Hes still working himself back from a major surgery as well. Its hard to watch and hes never going to look like the Kobe we knew, but hopefully he can have 5-6 games where he flashes that greatness and rides off into the sunset.

kingsdelez24
12-03-2015, 05:42 PM
The Vegeta of the nba

Gagan136
12-03-2015, 05:45 PM
Im confused as to how this is still bugging people lol, Kobe knows hes awful, he even said hes playing like the 200th best player so idk why your saying he thinks hes the best. Yeah hes shooting to much but who cares this team is going to lose with or without him.

nickdymez
12-03-2015, 05:51 PM
Im confused as to how this is still bugging people lol, Kobe knows hes awful, he even said hes playing like the 200th best player so idk why your saying he thinks hes the best. Yeah hes shooting to much but who cares this team is going to lose with or without him.

Some people are beyond obsessed with Kobe. lol

Jewelz0376
Kobe has done a lot for the league and he deserves a "victory lap"

warfelg
Heck I don't think the Lakers want us getting their pick.

I wouldn't be surprised between that and Kobe's farewell tour if they DGAF.

nickdymez
12-03-2015, 05:55 PM
Heck I don't think the Lakers want us getting their pick.

I wouldn't be surprised between that and Kobe's farewell tour if they DGAF.

I know most fans really don't. We are pretty much over the ridiculous notion that we are going to compete for a playoff spot (I was one of those ridiculous fans). The young guys are still contributing and starting to look really good, and Kobe plays 24 hour fitness pickup ball. We still MIGHT keep that top 3 pick.

Hawkeye15
12-03-2015, 05:58 PM
I know most fans really don't. We are pretty much over the ridiculous notion that we are going to compete for a playoff spot (I was one of those ridiculous fans). The young guys are still contributing and starting to look really good, and Kobe plays 24 hour fitness pickup ball. We still MIGHT keep that top 3 pick.

hahaha. I think Tony Starks had a better one, "plays like your drunk uncle at the park"

honestly, I am done with my Kobe bashing while he is on his farewell tour. In all likelihood, it helps the Lakers that he is doing this, they need their pick badly. I am just going to appreciate Kobe's career the rest of this year.

warfelg
12-03-2015, 06:00 PM

I was thinking more in terms of team/management/ownership.

nickdymez
12-03-2015, 06:02 PM
hahaha. I think Tony Starks had a better one, "plays like your drunk uncle at the park"

honestly, I am done with my Kobe bashing while he is on his farewell tour. In all likelihood, it helps the Lakers that he is doing this, they need their pick badly. I am just going to appreciate Kobe's career the rest of this year.

Exactly how I feel. Even if Kobe was having his best season of his career, we still wouldn't be competing for a tittle. Maybe a 5th seed AT BEST with this roster. The best player on the team right now is a 2nd year, 2nd round guard that no one was talking about. Kobes antics are the best thing for the team right now.

mngopher35
12-03-2015, 06:31 PM
It's the farewell tour of an all time great, it isn't really bad at all (his play is but that's not hurting anyone really). Lakers are trying to keep their top pick so it is helping their cause. Many fans will only get to see Kobe live one last time, they probably prefer to watch him go all out. I personally would much rather get one last look at Kobe being Kobe than nick young trying to be Kobe.

I haven't watched quite enough to know how he is getting shots within the offense etc (although not sure they have much of one honestly). If he is actually hurting the growth of younger guys then it is a problem but otherwise I think him going down swinging is just fine.

sheesh
12-03-2015, 07:30 PM
It's the farewell tour of an all time great, it isn't really bad at all (his play is but that's not hurting anyone really). Lakers are trying to keep their top pick so it is helping their cause. Many fans will only get to see Kobe live one last time, they probably prefer to watch him go all out. I personally would much rather get one last look at Kobe being Kobe than nick young trying to be Kobe.

I haven't watched quite enough to know how he is getting shots within the offense etc (although not sure they have much of one honestly). If he is actually hurting the growth of younger guys then it is a problem but otherwise I think him going down swinging is just fine.

This season allows us to see the true nature of Kobe.

Fans always defended his shot jacking. When you shoot 44 percent you can get away with it.

At 31 percent there is no excuse. Its a pride thing. He must shoot and score. Even at 31 percent from the floor. Still has to get his.

mngopher35
12-03-2015, 07:40 PM

This season allows us to see the true nature of Kobe.

Fans always defended his shot jacking. When you shoot 44 percent you can get away with it.

At 31 percent there is no excuse. Its a pride thing. He must shoot and score. Even at 31 percent from the floor. Still has to get his.

Sure, this is the type of player Kobe is. He is a volume scorer who is aging and no longer has the ability he used to so it looks bad. Kobe probably isn't very capable of going on that court and not thinking he can be the best player any given night. Might be a bad thing now but I bet in his prime that mindset was very helpful.

Instead of changing his game to fit in with a bad team he is just gonna give it his all one last season. I don't have any issue with that at all due to his situation (seems like laker fans are fine with it too).

sheesh
12-03-2015, 07:56 PM
Sure, this is the type of player Kobe is. He is a volume scorer who is aging and no longer has the ability he used to so it looks bad. Kobe probably isn't very capable of going on that court and not thinking he can be the best player any given night. Might be a bad thing now but I bet in his prime that mindset was very helpful.

Instead of changing his game to fit in with a bad team he is just gonna give it his all one last season. I don't have any issue with that at all due to his situation (seems like laker fans are fine with it too).

Except in his prime it was still not a good mindset to have.

Phil Jackson mentioned in his book Kobe would shot jack when it wasn't falling.

And contrasted it with jordan who he said would look for easy buckets on his off nights. And lock down on defense.

mngopher35
12-03-2015, 08:06 PM
Except in his prime it was still not a good mindset to have.

Phil Jackson mentioned in his book Kobe would shot jack when it wasn't falling.

And contrasted it with jordan who he said would look for easy buckets on his off nights. And lock down on defense.

I would agree that there were definitely times where it got him into trouble. I would also argue that the good that came from it far outweighs the negatives. Jordan was certainly better at reigning himself in and contributing in other areas but Kobe used to contribute in other ways as well to a lesser extent (who compares favorably to Jordan though?).

I am not a huge fan of Kobe's style of play in general but it doesn't take away from how good he was or what he accomplished. Him continuing to play like this as he ages/declines doesn't really surprise me nor is it hurting anyone at this point. I hope he continues to be himself the rest of the year so I get to watch a couple more games of Kobe being Kobe before he retires.

Hawkeye15
12-03-2015, 08:56 PM
I would agree that there were definitely times where it got him into trouble. I would also argue that the good that came from it far outweighs the negatives. Jordan was certainly better at reigning himself in and contributing in other areas but Kobe used to contribute in other ways as well to a lesser extent (who compares favorably to Jordan though?).

I am not a huge fan of Kobe's style of play in general but it doesn't take away from how good he was or what he accomplished. Him continuing to play like this as he ages/declines doesn't really surprise me nor is it hurting anyone at this point. I hope he continues to be himself the rest of the year so I get to watch a couple more games of Kobe being Kobe before he retires.

he is right though (and I know you aren't disagreeing per say). The biggest difference is, Jordan, when that jumper wasn't falling, just attacked the rim. Kobe stopped going to the rim like 5 years ago. And Jordan was a much more disruptive defender, when it came to creating turnovers.

Again though, comparing anyone to Jordan eventually ends up painting a bad picture for said player, so take my post with a grain of salt

Jeffy25
12-03-2015, 08:58 PM
Nobody has taken 20 shots per game and shot under 35% since 1950 (Joe Fulks)

Kobe last year is the last to shot under .375%

mngopher35
12-03-2015, 09:12 PM
he is right though (and I know you aren't disagreeing per say). The biggest difference is, Jordan, when that jumper wasn't falling, just attacked the rim. Kobe stopped going to the rim like 5 years ago. And Jordan was a much more disruptive defender, when it came to creating turnovers.

Again though, comparing anyone to Jordan eventually ends up painting a bad picture for said player, so take my post with a grain of salt

I agree, but like you said who compares well to Jordan.

I am just saying that Kobe playing this way right now is honestly probably the best thing so who cares (all fans and lakers). His mindset has been a positive (even if not perfect) for so much of his career it isn't that big of a deal if it hurts him now due to his age/injuries.

Hawkeye15
12-03-2015, 09:21 PM
I agree, but like you said who compares well to Jordan.

I am just saying that Kobe playing this way right now is honestly probably the best thing so who cares (all fans and lakers). His mindset has been a positive (even if not perfect) for so much of his career it isn't that big of a deal if it hurts him now due to his age/injuries.

oh absolutely. The Lakers need Kobe to unintentionally sabotage the season, so they can keep that pick. In the meanwhile, we can watch Kobe does what he always has, just with really bad results, and we can not care about it, since it's for the good really.

D-Leethal
12-03-2015, 09:37 PM
That's Kobe man. He is a gunner. He is gonna go out swinging. Similar to Favre in his final season. Its not like he is holding back a playoff team or anything, he has a bunch of young bucks on his squad that will never sniff what Kobe has done, he has been in the league longer than they have been alive, he is gonna go out gunning. Love him or hate him, that is Kobe and that is what made him an all time great.

sheesh
12-03-2015, 10:41 PM
That's Kobe man. He is a gunner. He is gonna go out swinging. Similar to Favre in his final season. Its not like he is holding back a playoff team or anything, he has a bunch of young bucks on his squad that will never sniff what Kobe has done, he has been in the league longer than they have been alive, he is gonna go out gunning. Love him or hate him, that is Kobe and that is what made him an all time great.

This a poor comparison IMO. Favre being the QB is the only player on the field who could pass.

Kobe has 4 teammates who can shoot at all times.

D-Leethal
12-03-2015, 11:12 PM
This a poor comparison IMO. Favre being the QB is the only player on the field who could pass.

Kobe has 4 teammates who can shoot at all times.

They play different sports, why would I be comparing their skillsets. I am comparing the mentality they approached the game with, it made them great, it got real ugly at the end, because neither was willing to water down their gunner mentality for the sake of old age and went out swinging.

sheesh
12-03-2015, 11:35 PM
They play different sports, why would I be comparing their skillsets. I am comparing the mentality they approached the game with, it made them great, it got real ugly at the end, because neither was willing to water down their gunner mentality for the sake of old age and went out swinging.

All QB'S go down swinging they are the only ones who can pass the ball.

Kobe can let others shoot.

Jeffy25
12-03-2015, 11:59 PM
oh absolutely. The Lakers need Kobe to unintentionally sabotage the season, so they can keep that pick. In the meanwhile, we can watch Kobe does what he always has, just with really bad results, and we can not care about it, since it's for the good really.

What does it say about the health of the sport when it's best for a team to have them flounder?

What if we just change the lottery to all non-playoff teams have an equal shot at the number one pick?

Gibby23
12-04-2015, 12:30 AM
What does it say about the health of the sport when it's best for a team to have them flounder?

What if we just change the lottery to all non-playoff teams have an equal shot at the number one pick?

This is the 1st I heard of this, it's not like it has been in the news the last few years.

The NBA has talked about doing something about they system, but they didn't do anything about it. Need the owners on board.

Hawkeye15
12-04-2015, 12:35 AM

another topic for another day buddy

Jamiecballer
12-04-2015, 09:21 AM
i'm mixed on this. it's embarrassing to see that even when he stinks this bad he still can't swallow his pride and play within his abilities, but it made him what he is, and i get that. there is also probably some truth to the notion that the ticket buying public around the league would probably like to see Kobe doing at least a reasonable impression of himself rather than anyone else on the Lakers. what i find most selfish about this is that he is setting a very bad example for the young talent that he is leaving behind. that part is straight up wrong.

Tony_Starks
12-04-2015, 10:07 AM
Title could have read "Only a prideful man could be the biggest superstar in basketball globally for nearly 2 decades."

Avenged
12-04-2015, 10:52 AM
I'm always surprised at how passionate some people are when expressing their dislike for Kobe. He's a few months away from leaving the league, hang in there guys!

Matter.
12-04-2015, 10:57 AM
I'm always surprised at how passionate some people are when expressing their dislike for Kobe. He's a few months away from leaving the league, hang in there guys!

Seems like the Kobe haters are more sad about Kobe retiring then just Kobe fans/Laker fans

Hawkeye15
12-04-2015, 11:08 AM

polarizing athletes end up having fans who are very passionate for, and against them. It's normality actually.

Stinkyoutsider
12-04-2015, 12:01 PM
I think Kobe could still do better with his shot selection and the volume of his attempts even if the Lakers aren't contending this year.

He's been in this league a long time and Byron Scott is his head coach. If Kobe was concerned about getting his shots from in close where he could possibly shoot himself out of his slump (either better % shots or getting to the foul line) then he could just go to Scott and ask. Scott knows this club is in rebuild mode and as long as the young guys get minutes, it's still Kobe's show this year.

He's unwilling to do what Duncan, Garnett, and Dirk have all done. Change his game to be the most effective player he can be. Instead, he thinks that he can shoot himself out of this but his shot selection isn't going to help him.

Scoots
12-04-2015, 12:55 PM
Title could have read "Only a prideful man could be the biggest superstar in basketball globally for nearly 2 decades."

But that would be a lie. We should not be encouraging lying on the forum.

AllBall
12-04-2015, 01:34 PM
I don't like Kobe, but if I'm paying for a Lakers game I sure as hell better see Kobe throw up all the shots. No one is going to see Swaggy P, as much as I enjoy his comic relief.

McAllen Tx
12-05-2015, 12:08 AM
One of my biggest regrets (sports wise) was not watching more of MJs game his last season. Im not comparing Kobe to MJ. But Kobe is 2nd and closet to MJ that we've ever seen.

I couldnt stand MJ when he was playing but as soon as he really retired I missed him. I didnt really appreciate what he meant to the NBA till he was gone. Im not gonna do the same with Kobe.

Was disappointed with his last game at MSG. Really wanted him to go out guns-a-blazin.

ChI_ShIzzLe
12-05-2015, 12:20 AM
I don't think it's pride. I think that Kobe REALLY wanted to get #6 and he wanted to do it with 1 team just like the guy he crafted his game after. Obviously that ship sailed several years ago, but he wanted to stick around to see if the Lakers were able to retool and give him another chance...but none of that came to fruition.

Gagan136
12-05-2015, 12:37 AM
But that would be a lie. We should not be encouraging lying on the forum.

Its Kobe globally and its only close with Lebron.

Iron24th
12-05-2015, 05:40 AM
Yes Kobe is playing like crap this year and yes it's helping the Lakers cause, so who cares, he's washed up and he knows it, already said it publicy so I don't really get the hate from some people, he's just focused on his last dance cause he knows he'll miss it badly.

Props to some fans in this thread for showing Kobe some respect even if they hate him.

Munkeysuit
12-05-2015, 08:49 AM
Let's all be honest here...Kobe is one of the greatest to ever do it, OK , we ALL acknowledge that but somebody gotta tell him he's washed up and shouldn't be taking more than 10-11 shots per game, it's detrimental to the teams youth core movement going forward and it's possibly frustrating other veterans that believe they can win now. This "last hoorah" of sorts is not making any sense, I can see some players and personnel's jobs already in jeopardy. Once this circus comes full circle and they see what a huge hole they dug themselves into, they'll realize that they not only over paid the Mamba but also confused the hell out of the rest of the team moving forward...I mean, what are they to learn from this?

JasonJohnHorn
12-05-2015, 10:52 PM
I get it's his victory lap, but jeezusfawkingkrighst!

30%? I don't even get that. Ok... he can't drive to the basket as fast, or break ankles, but shoot? Why can't he even shoot?

G_S_W
12-07-2015, 06:18 PM
Kobe will finish the season shooting 25% from the floor.

Actually, there's a good chance he won't be able to finish the season at all.

Hawkeye15
12-07-2015, 06:37 PM
Its Kobe globally and its only close with Lebron.

Yeah, Kobe was huge across the planet really. Most popular NBA athlete for a decade, for sure.

Scoots
12-08-2015, 12:37 PM
It's the team following "The Process LA edition" ... Kobe and the team are supposed to suck. The retirement tour keeps the interest and therefore the revenue up while the team tanks for a top 3 pick. The Lakers are trying to out Sixers the Sixers. I really hope the Lakers end up with the 4th pick. That is my xmas wish.