PDA

View Full Version : Brett Brown: Should this be his last year with Philly?

JasonJohnHorn
12-03-2015, 12:03 AM
I don't blame Brett Brown for where Philly is at. Part of it is Noel and Embiid both missing their rookie seasons, and Embiid also missing his sophomore season. Part of it is also Philly's front office and their 'lose-big-pick-high' approach.

But at the same time, have the two longest losing streaks ever? That's rough! What coach could have said that he had the league's two longest losing streaks before?

By the end of the year, it is quite possible that Luke Walton will have won more games as an assistant coach for a partial season than Brown has in three FULL seasons!

The benefit of Brown was that he was supposed to be a coach who was big on player development. I don't see much development in Noel. Grant is coming along nicely, but he's getting garbage minutes on an awful team. Other guys are just filler, or aren't looking any better than they were in the past (Thompson Stauskas).

And if I were Brown, I'd be furious this front office was just selling me up the river each season. I mean how many D-league guys are on this roster? This is not something I would want on my resume as a coach.

Is it time for these parties to split ways at the end of the season?

canzano55
12-03-2015, 12:10 AM
Brett Brown knew what he was getting himself in to when he signed with the Sixers - in a situation like that I can't see a coach opting to work with a terrible young team while also being concerned about his legacy at the same time.

Honestly I don't see how anyone else would have done much better. Philadelphia has been waiting for its ticket to come through and it just hasn't happened for them. Embiid has ****ed them over and so as a result they're having to extend the rebuilding period by another year which was already a 6-7 year project starting last season.

2-ONE-5
12-03-2015, 09:58 AM
no need for this thread. Its well known here that Browns job is secure and will be extended. David Aldridge reported something last week. If Hinkie wanted a lame duck coach he had 10000 other options but he chose Brown for a reason and he will get his chance first as he has played a key role in developing the few keepers we have

Tony_Starks
12-03-2015, 10:43 AM
I said this last season and it still stands: The only thing that can get Brown fired is if they go on a winning streak.

Other than that he's accomplishing the epic tank mockery as planned.....

2-ONE-5
12-03-2015, 10:46 AM
lol

warfelg
12-03-2015, 11:25 AM
Brett Brown has certain assurances built into his contract for one.

Two:
Harris, Hinkie, and Brown are all still on the same page. Have been since day one. They fully back him and every report in the Philly media backs him. Add into what 2-one-5 posted, which is true, and Brown isn't going anywhere.

Three:
With everyone knowing what going on, Browns job was never to come in and be a winning coach. His job was to come in and create a culture of competition, which every player will attest to in practice. His job was to develop players, which happened with Noel, Covington, Grant, Wroten. He's doing what he's asked.

JEDean89
12-03-2015, 12:26 PM
the only question is, if they get the #2 pick in the draft again, and have to take a C like Skal or Dragan, and the Lakers keep their own pick. What do they do? Teams will soon be tanking other than the the Lakers, Nuggets and 76ers. If their only help is another C and a Saric, then they are looking at yet another year of tanking to aim for a nice PG in that loaded 2017 PG class. But then what? Do you know how long it takes a PG to learn to run an offense in the NBA? You are just going to draft a PG and within 2 years he'll make you a playoff contender? In a conference where just about every team is young and upcoming? This could take 4-5 years to get them to the playoffs. In that time, I would imagine Nerlens Noel would not extend, nor would Jahlil, then suddenly it all unfolds. Nerlens is up for an extension this summer. If I'm him, I shelve it one year, then I extend if the 76ers appear to be going in the right direction, and I take the 5th year and walk. Why would any professional subject themselves to tanking for 1/4?+ of their career?

The thing Hinkie forgot to factor in is that you have to be an amazing talent evaluator, ala Jerry West, Pat Riley, Phil Jackson, guys that really know the game itself. The 76ers have passed on some really good talent to take Embiid and Jahlil, they could have had Exum, Smart, Nurkic etc.. and clearly should have taken Porzingis. There is always an element of luck when drafting and an element of skill. Hinkie is praying beyond all hope that Simmons goes to him #1 (so he doesn't have to evaluate who the 2nd, 3rd or 4th best player in this draft is, a hard thing to do), and that the Lakers pick falls into his lap around 4-5. But the odds have no care for the 76ers, and a 25% chance is still unlikely to work out for them.

The 3rd thing is this, the Wolves are young and upcoming. Towns/Wiggins has a chance to be special, so the 76ers will have to draft better than that to match that talent level. Things are not looking good.

warfelg
12-03-2015, 12:43 PM
the only question is, if they get the #2 pick in the draft again, and have to take a C like Skal or Dragan, and the Lakers keep their own pick. What do they do? Teams will soon be tanking other than the the Lakers, Nuggets and 76ers. If their only help is another C and a Saric, then they are looking at yet another year of tanking to aim for a nice PG in that loaded 2017 PG class. But then what? Do you know how long it takes a PG to learn to run an offense in the NBA? You are just going to draft a PG and within 2 years he'll make you a playoff contender? In a conference where just about every team is young and upcoming? This could take 4-5 years to get them to the playoffs. In that time, I would imagine Nerlens Noel would not extend, nor would Jahlil, then suddenly it all unfolds. Nerlens is up for an extension this summer. If I'm him, I shelve it one year, then I extend if the 76ers appear to be going in the right direction, and I take the 5th year and walk. Why would any professional subject themselves to tanking for 1/4?+ of their career?

Well let's say someone else ends up #1 that isn't the Lakers and Lakers are at 3. The next 2 best prospects in Murray and Brown are both PG/SG types. Do they really want another G when they really need a C? I'm sure at that point Hinkie would be more than happy to work out a trade, even with a small amount of compensation, to get the C.

The thing Hinkie forgot to factor in is that you have to be an amazing talent evaluator, ala Jerry West, Pat Riley, Phil Jackson, guys that really know the game itself. The 76ers have passed on some really good talent to take Embiid and Jahlil, they could have had Exum, Smart, Nurkic etc.. and clearly should have taken Porzingis. There is always an element of luck when drafting and an element of skill. Hinkie is praying beyond all hope that Simmons goes to him #1 (so he doesn't have to evaluate who the 2nd, 3rd or 4th best player in this draft is, a hard thing to do), and that the Lakers pick falls into his lap around 4-5. But the odds have no care for the 76ers, and a 25% chance is still unlikely to work out for them.

Exum, Smart, Nurkic haven't been good enough to make me regret taking Embiid. Porzingis shouldn't have "clearly" been the pick. Sure he's playing better than many thought, but a huge number also thought he was 3-5 years away from contributing.

Heck I don't regret in 3 straight drafts coming away with what was considered the #1 prospect.

The 3rd thing is this, the Wolves are young and upcoming. Towns/Wiggins has a chance to be special, so the 76ers will have to draft better than that to match that talent level. Things are not looking good.

How aren't they looking good? Okafor and Noel have just the same amount of odds as Towns and Wiggins of being special at this point.

2-ONE-5
12-03-2015, 12:48 PM
well Skal stinks so far and were not gonna take another Center no matter what. but what really good talent did we pass on the last 2 years? There isnt really an argument either way so early to begin with. I could care less that we passed on exum, gordon, Nurkic lol (your just a homer) etc and the only case that could be made from this class is Porz but despite some NY fans declaring him the GOAT its still TBD.

As of Saturday the team will be the healthiest its been this entire season and will have the 4 best players on the team together for the first time and the team as a whole has been playing a lot better the last two weeks (minus last night without the best player).