PDA

View Full Version : Price to Boston!

j-bay
12-01-2015, 06:00 PM
@PeteAbe

#RedSox in agreement with David Price. 7 years and $217 million. Story on @BGlobeSports: http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/12/01/red-sox-agree-deal-with-pitcher-david-price/Tsv1SM9yjAU1TncmXJpFUN/story.html

Bo Sox Fan
12-01-2015, 06:09 PM
Dave Dombrowski is a GOD

Price
Kimbrel
Young

And who knows what's next!

RedSoxtober
12-01-2015, 06:10 PM
0_0

#stunned

mistamyrick
12-01-2015, 06:10 PM
@PeteAbe

#RedSox in agreement with David Price. 7 years and $217 million. Story on @BGlobeSports: http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/12/01/red-sox-agree-deal-with-pitcher-david-price/Tsv1SM9yjAU1TncmXJpFUN/story.html

Wow! That's huge! Any breakdown of the contract figures?
"The deal is the largest ever for a pitcher, $2 million more than the Dodgers gave Clayton Kershaw."

RedSoxtober
12-01-2015, 06:12 PM
the red sox are in agreement with left-handed ace david price on a seven-year, $217mm contract, reports peter abraham of the boston globe. The bo mckinnis client will sign the largest contract for a pitcher in history when the deal becomes official, narrowly eclipsing clayton kershaw‘s $215mm contract with the dodgers. Ken rosenthal of fox sports reports that price’s contract contains an opt-out deal after the third year of the contract, also noting that his $31mm average annual value ties miguel cabrera for the richest aav in major league history.m l b t r

ruckus16969
12-01-2015, 06:14 PM
Wow unreal.

The Allen
12-01-2015, 06:14 PM
Thank you Dave.

RedSoxtober
12-01-2015, 06:15 PM
That opt-out could be a blessing in disguise for both sides. Price might get more money in the open market AND the Sox might not need to worry about the potential for decline. After 3yrs we might be fortunate to see E-Rod in top form to take his place and Espinoza carrying around his ROY.

SoxPatsCeltsBs
12-01-2015, 06:16 PM
That opt-out could be a blessing in disguise for both sides. Price might get more money in the open market AND the Sox might not need to worry about the potential for decline. After 3yrs we might be fortunate to see E-Rod in top form to take his place and Espinoza carrying around his ROY.

The opt out is massive. Like you said, it takes away any of the what ifs. Huge signing.

Bo Sox Fan
12-01-2015, 06:16 PM
An opt out after year 3, which could save us the dog years of the contract.

I'm surprised Price would accept that and in saying that, what an absolutely sweet contract!

mistamyrick
12-01-2015, 06:24 PM
It IS a team option for the opt-out, right? If it's a player option, that could backfire.

The Allen
12-01-2015, 06:25 PM
Now for Darren O'Day and a trade of either Hanley or Panda and call it an offseason.

Soxfan85
12-01-2015, 06:28 PM
I have a bad feeling about this. 7 years for 30-year-olds? I hope, I'm wrong but my gut tells me bad feeling. Look at Rick Porcello yes hes younger but was Ace in Detroit and look what happened. I'm affraid this will be verison 2

The Allen
12-01-2015, 06:31 PM
I have a bad feeling about this. 7 years for 30-year-olds? I hope, I'm wrong but my gut tells me bad feeling. Look at Rick Porcello yes hes younger but was Ace in Detroit and look what happened. I'm affraid this will be verison 2
Rick Porcello was definitely not an ace, he was a number 3 at best...ceiling for a number 2. Don't spew nonsense, Price may be 30, however, he has an excellent track record (playoffs aside).

Bo Sox Fan
12-01-2015, 06:36 PM

LMAO, what the **** are you smoking? You obviously don't know anything about baseball.

ruckus16969
12-01-2015, 06:39 PM
Pretty awesome news. I'd say Dave gets an A+ so far

BGeer091
12-01-2015, 06:41 PM
I prefered Grienke over Price but how can anyone not be excited for this. I'm very curious about this clause is it team or player

Soxfan85
12-01-2015, 06:44 PM
Rick Porcello was definitely not an ace, he was a number 3 at best...ceiling for a number 2. Don't spew nonsense, Price may be 30, however, he has an excellent track record (playoffs aside).

He was #2 in Detroit with Price I remember seeing the SP lineup. Not nonsenese. Redsox said they were staying away with 5+ year contracts.

mistamyrick
12-01-2015, 06:44 PM
I'm guessing that the "opt-out" clause being mentioned is the player option. I'm hoping that it is actually a club option to pickup the remaining 4 years but that seems pretty unlikely. Still looking for confirmation.

mistamyrick
12-01-2015, 06:46 PM
Bronx Bombers ‏@BronxBomberBlog 3m3 minutes ago

It's official: the opt out clause is for Price NOT the Red Sox. They can't just cut him loose after three years is up. Via @BNightengale

The Allen
12-01-2015, 06:46 PM
He was #2 in Detroit with Price I remember seeing the SP lineup. Not nonsenese. Redsox said they were staying away with 5+ year contracts.
With Price:
Price
Sanchez
Verlander
Porcello
Greene/whoever they put when he was sent down

So the number 4. Was he better than Verlander and Sanchez maybe one year of his career? Probably not.

Soxfan85
12-01-2015, 06:49 PM
LMAO, what the **** are you smoking? You obviously don't know anything about baseball.

Not smoking anything I'm stating facts.

5 year + bad contracts

Carl Crawford
Pablo Sandoval
Hanley Ramirez.
We could have gotten him for 5 years and same price. Like I said gut feeling I could be wrong lets see how it plays out. I could be very wrong or very right in 2016 lets see

bagwell368
12-01-2015, 06:50 PM
No way Price and his agent would agree to a 3 year opt out owned by the team. None.

Price is a very sensitive guy, the pressure of Fenway/Boston/#1 money mixed with less than a stellar start could be very bad. Remember the last sensitive guy that started with TB that we overpaid..?

I don't care what any list says, Porcello was only #2 in Detroit when 2-3 other SP's were on the DL. One year I believe his SABR numbers said he was #2, but no Detroit fan or FO official would back that POV.

Zspooner
12-01-2015, 06:51 PM
Tigers fan here.

Fun seeing what DD is doing for ya'll, similar to what he did for us.

He's a ****ing baller. Went out and snagged the best closer, and now the best pitcher available.

It didn't work out for us like we hoped, but Detroit fans are forever grateful for him and he almost always puts out a good product.

I can tell you guys are enjoying him so far. You should. And I don't think he's close to done either.

Soxfan85
12-01-2015, 06:53 PM
@jtomase
To be clear, since a bunch of you have asked: The opt-out, by definition, is Price's, not the team's.

Zspooner
12-01-2015, 06:55 PM
With Price:
Price
Sanchez
Verlander
Porcello
Greene/whoever they put when he was sent down

So the number 4. Was he better than Verlander and Sanchez maybe one year of his career? Probably not.

Just because I am here commenting as a Detroit guy, I will say, for a year (the year before we traded him to you guys), Porcello was the 2nd best pitcher on the Tigers, and arguably the most consistent guy on the staff (including Price, even though he was there for 1/2 year). Then we ended up trading him during the offseason following, as you know.

Was he the 2nd most talented? Out of our hole rotation in terms of potential/talent, he was the worst, but he simply went out that year and pitched his *** off, had a great year for us. Snagged us a 1/2 year of Cespedes. And i'll be honest, I'm shocked he flopped so hardi n year 1 with the Sox. I looked at his pitch usage recently and i wondered why he changed everything up all of a sudden in Beantown. I hope he bounces back for ya'll, he seemed to get better down the stretch when DD got there.

Soxfan85
12-01-2015, 06:56 PM
@MaureenaMullen
Red Sox offer to Price: 7 yrs, $217M
Red Sox offer to Lester: 6 yrs, $135M

Vincent33
12-01-2015, 06:58 PM
Well that was quick. BOS got their ace SP, got their ace BP reliever. Still work to be done, but a hell of a start to FA for Dombrowski. They got the $$$$$$ to afford the spending so may as well spend it. Them last place finishes wrapped around the '13 title are a real eyesore and we all want consistency with winning seasons.

bagwell368
12-01-2015, 06:59 PM
Not smoking anything I'm stating facts.

5 year + bad contracts

Carl Crawford
Pablo Sandoval
Hanley Ramirez.
We could have gotten him for 5 years and same price. Like I said gut feeling I could be wrong lets see how it plays out. I could be very wrong or very right in 2016 lets see

Well, actually there is a .0021 % chance that Hanley or Pablo actually earn the money.

There is actually very little chance Price will earn the FG$ on his deal. I'd be happy with him meeting or exceeding it for four years, and to hell with the rest. That's the way these big deals go.

The bright side is no specs headed for the HOF were sacrificed in the making of this deal.

Soxfan85
12-01-2015, 07:02 PM
Well, actually there is a .0021 % chance that Hanley or Pablo actually earn the money.

There is actually very little chance Price will earn the FG$ on his deal. I'd be happy with him meeting or exceeding it for four years, and to hell with the rest. That's the way these big deals go.

The bright side is no specs headed for the HOF were sacrificed in the making of this deal.

I would be happy as well I guess I was too fast to post it looking at Rick Porcello and the other FA's. Am I happy yeah I jumped it happens

celticsman2009
12-01-2015, 07:02 PM
Price could want to opt out after three years. The pitchers market will be rising and he could be in for another payday. I think he pitches well for at least the first three years of the deal.

You have an Ace
You have an elite closer
You have Betts, Bogaerts, JBJ, Swihart, Moncada, Owens, Johnson, Devers, Benintendi and Espinoza.

-Lavigne43-
12-01-2015, 07:19 PM
Jesus christ, please opt out after 3 years. The problem with opt-outs are that they always hurt the team. He's only opting out if he pitches tremendously, and if he pitches tremendously the team will be under massive pressure to retain him at all costs, and he will end getting a crazier contract per year.

Can we even afford to sign anyone anymore in the next few seasons?

j-bay
12-01-2015, 07:19 PM
We can make the playoffs guys! The division is still open.

j-bay
12-01-2015, 07:22 PM
Jesus christ, please opt out after 3 years. The problem with opt-outs are that they always hurt the team. He's only opting out if he pitches tremendously, and if he pitches tremendously the team will be under massive pressure to retain him at all costs, and he will end getting a crazier contract per year.

Come on guys let's worry about that when the time comes.

AI
12-01-2015, 07:28 PM
Wow I honestly did not expect we'd get him. Digging that opt out after 3 years.

Dombrowski's not fooling around. He said he wanted a closer, ace and RHH OF. We've already got all 3 and kept our draft pick. Now the question is, will he pull out another blockbuster trade that involves Hanley or Pablo?

GET IT DONE DAVE!!!!

AI
12-01-2015, 07:29 PM
b Nightengale ‏@bnightengale 27s27 seconds ago
The #RedSox needed a decision by today by David Price so they didn't lose out on Greinke as well. Greinke was their back-up plan.

Looks like we were getting one or the other.

-Lavigne43-
This will be a great signing if: Price doesn't decline during the next 3 seasons, he opts out, we let him go and sign a different player (Harvey, Fernandez, Harper available that offseason).

xnick5757
it's a ton of money, but i'd rather go this route than the route we went last offseason

randyisgoinsolo
12-01-2015, 07:30 PM
So do the Sox kick the tires and get Greinke, Cueto or Maeda? Because I'm not too sure this rotation of Price, Buchholz, E-Rod, Miley and Porcello will get it done. The only one I will trust is Price and E-Rod.

xnick5757
12-01-2015, 07:30 PM
Looks like we were getting one or the other.

let's get both. 300 mil payroll. 20 dollar beers

j-bay
12-01-2015, 07:33 PM
I hear Greinke wanted to stay in the NL and California. You had to do something to peak Price's interest to sign right away.

Station 13
12-01-2015, 07:33 PM
Excellent. Dave Dombrowski got his man.

Station 13
12-01-2015, 07:37 PM
His post season don't concern me, it's such an opportunist small sample.

celticsman2009
12-01-2015, 07:38 PM
Price was really the only option in FA. Proven AL and AL East pitcher. Did we overpay...yes. We needed an Ace . We got one. We will figure out how to win him playoff games when we make the playoffs.

Soxfan85
12-01-2015, 07:45 PM
@PeteAbe
One side benefit for #RedSox is they retain No. 12 pick in draft. Price was traded and not a qualified FA.

Slaps
12-01-2015, 07:54 PM
Price was really the only option in FA. Proven AL and AL East pitcher. Did we overpay...yes. We needed an Ace . We got one. We will figure out how to win him playoff games when we make the playoffs.
I agree. We needed an ace and got one. Worry about money later. Henry isn't going broke any time soon.

j-bay
12-01-2015, 08:01 PM
David Price teed off Tuesday morning at a charity golf tournament believing he would be spending the next seven years pitching for the St. Louis Cardinals.

By the time he left the event hosted by former major leaguer Wally Joyner in Long Beach, Calif., Price had agreed to become a member of the Boston Red Sox with a deal that will make him in the richest pitcher in history.
Price has agreed to a seven-year, $217 million contract with the Red Sox, a person directly involved in the negotiations told USA TODAY Sports. The person spoke on condition of anonymity since the deal won’t become official until Price passes a physical Thursday evening. Price is expected to be introduced at a press conference on Friday in Boston.
The contract, which was first reported by the Boston Globe, includes no deferred money, with an opt-out clause after the 2018 season. Price will be paid $30 million a year through for the first three seasons, and will then receive annual salaries of $31 million in 2019, and $32 million from 2020 through 2022.
Price, one of top pitchers on the market with Zack Greinke, was ready to sign with the Cardinals, but then the final push began.

USA TODAY
Red Sox agree to 7-year, $217 million deal with David Price

The Red Sox were also in negotiations with Greinke, according to a high-ranking team official who asked not to be identified due the sensitive nature of negotiations.
Greinke’s representative, Casey Close, told Red Sox president Dave Dombrowski that he wanted an answer by Tuesday night on whether the team would agee to Greinke's contract proposal. Greinke is also being courted by the Los Angeles Dodgers and San Francisco Giants.
Dombrowski, wanting to make sure that he would land one of the two pitcher, then went to Price's agent, Bo McKinnis, early Tuesday with an increased offer and said the Red Sox needed a decision from Price by Tuesday night.
The Cardinals were also in the hunt for Price, and offered him the richest contract in franchise history, a seven-year deal worth less than $200 million. And the Chicago Cubs met with Price but never made a formal offer, according to the person directly involved in the negotiations.
Price’s deal, which is $2 million more than the Dodgers gave ace Clayton Kershaw in January 2014, easily dwarfs the largest deal for a pitcher in Red Sox history. The highest previous contract was a four-year, $82.5 million extension given to Rick Porcello in April.
Price, 18-5 with a 2.45 ERA last season, who finished second to Dallas Keuchel of the Houston Astros in the AL Cy Young voting, certainly has the credentials to be the highest-paid pitcher. He is a five-time All-Star and 2012 Cy Young winner, who has thrown 1,299⅓ innings the past six seasons, the fourth most in baseball. He joins a rotation that yielded a 4.39 ERA last season, the third highest in the AL.
Price, in reaching the deal, rejoins Dombrowski, who was president of the Detroit Tigers until he was fired in August. Dombrowski traded for Price from Tampa Bay in July 2014 and, in of his his final moves with the Tigers, traded away Price to the Toronto Blue Jays a year later.
Price, a native of Nashville, Tenn., was enamored with joining the Cardinals, who have reached the postseason the last five seasons, with two pennants and a World Series title. Yet, the Red Sox’s offer simply was too strong for him to refuse.
Now, unless he opts out of his contract or is traded, Price has a chance to become the first pitcher to spend his entire career in the American League in the DH era and reach the Hall of Fame.
And if he opts out, well, the Cardinals and Cubs will be there waiting again.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/bob-nightengale/2015/12/01/david-price-boston-red-sox-zack-greinke-free-agents-st-louis-cardinals/76630810/

AI
12-01-2015, 08:13 PM
@BNightengale: Zack Greinke, who wanted a decision by tonight from #RedSox, now will make decision between #SFGiants and #Dodgers.

Looks like Greinke wanted to come here as well.

Station 13
12-01-2015, 08:15 PM

if he weren't tied to a pick, i'd certainly like Grienke more.

-Lavigne43-
12-01-2015, 08:17 PM

Probably had a huge contract offer.

j-bay
12-01-2015, 08:27 PM
if he weren't tied to a pick, i'd certainly like Grienke more.

I do like Greinke, but Price is AL East battle tested.

homie564
12-01-2015, 08:51 PM
Do you guys think we're done now? I'd love to add some more BP depth, a low risk high reward starter (like a Brett Anderson/Justin Masterson type from last year, though JM didn't work out. Anderson did), and maybe add another bat via trade for either corner OF or IF willing Hanley/Panda can be let go.

j-bay
12-01-2015, 08:59 PM
Do you guys think we're done now? I'd love to add some more BP depth, a low risk high reward starter (like a Brett Anderson/Justin Masterson type from last year, though JM didn't work out. Anderson did), and maybe add another bat via trade for either corner OF or IF willing Hanley/Panda can be let go.

Would love O'Day or Madson.

Bo Sox Fan
12-01-2015, 09:28 PM
Blue Jay fans are just sour, like they ever had a chance, lmao. I love it.

Bo Sox Fan
12-01-2015, 09:42 PM
Would love O'Day or Madson.

I think the heavy lifting is done, but now the tinkering begins. We have no shortage of bullpen arms but one more proven one (preferably a lefty) wouldn't hurt.

No one seen the Kimbrel trade coming, and we still have a slew of resources in the minors to upgrade the rotation, so perhaps we bring in a cost controlled #2-3 starter like Quintana or Teheran to complete pitching staff and put a stamp on what has been a highly successful offseason so far.

Vote Dave Dombrowski for President of the United States of America.

Sportfan
12-01-2015, 10:22 PM

Probably a couple bullpen arms. Don't see any other FA signings barring one of our starters, BBC, or Hanley/Pablo being moved.

Mookie
Pedroia
X
Ortiz
Hanley
Pablo
Swihart
Castillo
JBJ

Bench:
Holt
Chris Young
Hanigan
Shaw

Rotation
Price
Clay
Porcello
E-Rod
Miley

Pen:
Cy Kelly
Tommy Layne
Taz
Koji
Kimbrel

Puts us at 23, with spots available in the pen. Barnes/Ross/Wright/Escobar you probably add the best of that group from ST to the pen, and hopefully one low-cost signing

j-bay
12-01-2015, 10:29 PM
Does this kind of remind you of 96-98 with Roger and Pedro. Roger left they tried to go with Sale , that failed and went 78-84. After that they got Pedro.

AI
12-01-2015, 10:33 PM
I still think we have one more move in us.

Vincent33
12-01-2015, 10:50 PM
I was kind of 50/50 on wanting Price to Boston mainly b/c I was concerned with if he got paid would he still actually want to play in BOS, handle the media/fans a la Crawford. DD got his genuine ace who has crushed ALE before and has pitched fantastic at Fenway. He has not done well in postseason, but for Boston have to be able to get there first.

RedSoxtober
12-01-2015, 11:20 PM
It IS a team option for the opt-out, right? If it's a player option, that could backfire.
It's possible but most of the players who have negotiated such a clause (A-Rod, Sabathia, Grienke, etc) have exercised them. IMO that's a best case scenario for the Sox.

Price vs Porcello is a bad comparison on many levels. First, Price was a legit TORP while Porcello was elevated to a #2 position primarily through attrition. There were plenty of bad performances for DET in 2014 and he was the most consistent starter they had but primarily so many others stumbled. Second, Price received a deal for who he is and Porcello for who he is hoped to be. There is no doubt that Price is an ace. The hope was that Porcello would continue on the career progression that made him so valuable to DET last year with a view to his age. Third, the types of pitchers these guys are represent very different risks. Price wins with a dominating fastball, though he has mixed more offspeed stuff recently. It's a classic TORP approach. Porcello is a groundball specialist who pitches to contact. It's an approach that can be successful (see Zimmermann and Fister) as long as you stay down in the zone. But it's also an approach that tends to be in a #2-4 spot.

Yes, the deal could go south on the Sox but not because it's at all like Porcello.

Price is a very sensitive guy, the pressure of Fenway/Boston/#1 money mixed with less than a stellar start could be very bad. Remember the last sensitive guy that started with TB that we overpaid..?
Do you have any evidence of this? I have not seen anything to this effect; quite the opposite in fact.

Catch-22 for the team: if he opts-out you want him but if he doesn't opt-out then you don't want him. My honest hope is that E-Rod and Espinoza progress as high as we hope. Losing Price at that point would hurt but if either of those two is a legit ace then I'd welcome the salary relief.

#freehanley

I've been trying to dig into that a bit. It's a 7 game losing streak as a SP over 8 starts. Half of those starts were quality starts that his team lost (e.g., 8IP, 5H, 2ER, 2BB, 6K vs BAL last year he lost 2-1). But the other half were absolute dogs (5+ runs).

It causes me to wonder this: if we limit his innings (yeah, you read that right) to ~210IP during the regular season might he be better at the end?

I like the two former Braves -- Beachy and Minor -- on make-good deals. I believe that we'd have each for at least an arb year in 2017 if they worked out. Oh, this is based on the speculation that Minor gets non-tendered.

RedSoxtober
12-01-2015, 11:22 PM
The Red Sox pursuit of David Price came down to the wire.

According to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, Price believed he had a seven-year deal in place to join the St. Louis Cardinals, but the Red Sox upped their offer at the 11th hour to seven years and $217 million, $30 million more than St. Louis had on the table.

That swayed Price to come to Boston. Had he signed with the Cards, according to the story, the Red Sox were in negotiations with Dodgers free agent Zack Greinke, and had been given a Tuesday deadline by his representatives to reach an agreement.

Price was reportedly “enamored” with joining the Cardinals, who are closer to his hometown of Nashville, but the Red Sox offered too much money to ignore, and so he’ll stay in the American League East, where he has spent virtually his entire career.weei.com

Nightingale article here (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/bob-nightengale/2015/12/01/david-price-boston-red-sox-zack-greinke-free-agents-st-louis-cardinals/76630810/)

AI
12-02-2015, 12:24 AM
So the Cards offered 7/$187M. I wonder what we were offering Greinke, probably something like 5/$160M. One thing is certain, we were getting one of Price or Greinke TONIGHT.

Celtic AL
12-02-2015, 02:54 AM
I've came back Retirement! Glad they landed one of the 2 major Free agent Ace's. its a overpay but that's what you gotta do to get a solid Ace in the Free Agent. Love what DD is doing sofar. Im really interested what's he going to do next to cap off the offseason.

bagwell368
12-02-2015, 12:23 PM

8 post season starts with ERA's:

1 good game, 1 decent, 6 stink bombs - in ALMOST a 1/3 of a seasons worth of starts.

In his last relief appearance last year he coughed up 3 runs in 3 IP. Overall 5.12 ERA in 63 1/3 IP, 14 appearances with a 2-7 record. That's a pretty long resume - with basically one good year - 2008 - his rookie year - quite some time ago. He's the anti-Lester.

He's a thin skin/quick to defend himself character much like CC was. If he has a meh start here, he'll get a lot more guff than Crawford ever got from fans and the media.

I don't think we really had another option (god forbid Grienke (emotionally unfit for the market) or Cueto (the next CC) - even worse choices than Price) - but I have a 90%+ expectation that Price will not exceed his FG WAR $ in 4 of the next 7 seasons. The "little girl" also has to make up with Ortiz too. Should be fun.

Also Price is the slowest working SP in the Majors, back to 4 hour games!

RedSoxtober
12-02-2015, 01:59 PM
8 post season starts with ERA's:

1 good game, 1 decent, 6 stink bombs - in ALMOST a 1/3 of a seasons worth of starts.

In his last relief appearance last year he coughed up 3 runs in 3 IP. Overall 5.12 ERA in 63 1/3 IP, 14 appearances with a 2-7 record. That's a pretty long resume - with basically one good year - 2008 - his rookie year - quite some time ago. He's the anti-Lester.

I think that you are misreading the ERA data and drawing a somewhat off base conclusion as a result. The ERA value at B-R for post season splits is cumulative for each offseason. For example, his last start this year is listed as 6.17 but that does not remotely match a 6.2IP, 5H, 3ER, 1BB, 8K line from the game (4.05ERA).

As a I mentioned earlier, he's got 4 quality starts and 4 duds as a post season starter. It's a pretty mixed resume for sure -- and no doubt a very long way from Lester, Beckett, and Schilling who dominated in the post season.

I'm wondering if he wouldn't look a little better if there was a better BP behind him. This year, for example, he's left in to give up 5ER in ALCS game 2. It's a little understandable -- he'd one-hit the Royals through 6IP. But still, in the playoffs, don't you want to get a guy going in the 7th just in case? Three straight singles? Nothing. Ground out and another single to score two more? Nothing. It takes a run scoring double and 30 pitches in the inning before he got pulled. We'd probably be *****ing about it if we'd lost a regular season game that way. There seems to be no excuse for it in the ALCS except for mismanagement. (FWIW, this game with late scoring is the exception to his bad starts -- typically he was nibbled to death and Maddon refused to yank him -- but it fuels the perception. Fortunately we have a great in-game manager, cough, cough).

Also, I'm not sure how that you conclude that he had "basically one good year -- 2008". He threw 5.2IP in relief that year. Certainly the ERA was great but why wouldn't last year count -- 2.25ERA in 8IP? I'm guessing it's because he took the loss there? The game itself really suggests that it was a team loss: second inning they get a 1-out double and fail to score; third inning they get a leadoff single, 1-out SB, and the runner runs into a forceout at 3B for out #2... and they still manage to get a runner to 3B on an error but without scoring. Price meanwhile gives up 2H and a HBP through five. It'd be interesting to see how things might have played out differently if DET capitalized.

bagwell368
12-02-2015, 02:38 PM
I think that you are misreading the ERA data and drawing a somewhat off base conclusion as a result. The ERA value at B-R for post season splits is cumulative for each offseason. For example, his last start this year is listed as 6.17 but that does not remotely match a 6.2IP, 5H, 3ER, 1BB, 8K line from the game (4.05ERA).

As a I mentioned earlier, he's got 4 quality starts and 4 duds as a post season starter. It's a pretty mixed resume for sure -- and no doubt a very long way from Lester, Beckett, and Schilling who dominated in the post season.

I'm wondering if he wouldn't look a little better if there was a better BP behind him. This year, for example, he's left in to give up 5ER in ALCS game 2. It's a little understandable -- he'd one-hit the Royals through 6IP. But still, in the playoffs, don't you want to get a guy going in the 7th just in case? Three straight singles? Nothing. Ground out and another single to score two more? Nothing. It takes a run scoring double and 30 pitches in the inning before he got pulled. We'd probably be *****ing about it if we'd lost a regular season game that way. There seems to be no excuse for it in the ALCS except for mismanagement. (FWIW, this game with late scoring is the exception to his bad starts -- typically he was nibbled to death and Maddon refused to yank him -- but it fuels the perception. Fortunately we have a great in-game manager, cough, cough).

Also, I'm not sure how that you conclude that he had "basically one good year -- 2008". He threw 5.2IP in relief that year. Certainly the ERA was great but why wouldn't last year count -- 2.25ERA in 8IP? I'm guessing it's because he took the loss there? The game itself really suggests that it was a team loss: second inning they get a 1-out double and fail to score; third inning they get a leadoff single, 1-out SB, and the runner runs into a forceout at 3B for out #2... and they still manage to get a runner to 3B on an error but without scoring. Price meanwhile gives up 2H and a HBP through five. It'd be interesting to see how things might have played out differently if DET capitalized.

One good year in the post season in 2008, not one good year overall. I think those pressure spots for a rookie mean more than one appearance much later when he was getting his brains beat in as a starter.

His post season starting performances are not very good (yup those numbers were cumulative):

4 ER in 6.2 L
3 ER in 6.0 L
3 ER in 6.2 L
7 ER in 7.0 L
2 ER in 8.0 L
5 ER in 7.0 L
5 ER in 6.2 L
3 ER in 6.2 ND

4 QS and 4 Duds? In his 8 starts his ERA is 5.33 with an 0-7 record. His average start is not a quality start. Even if you remove his worst start 7 ER in 7 IP, he's a 4.87 ERA starting pitcher in the post season.

He has been better as reliever in the post season than a starter and done it once since he was a rookie.

Then of course is the whole Boston/Fenway/writers vs. Price angle. We know how Lester dealt with it, I'd bet 25 to 1 Price handles the media less well than Lester.

bagwell368
12-02-2015, 04:06 PM
98.5 is reading from a Tomase interview with Price 5 months ago:

"Boston is not my kind of town"

"when i read negative tweets of a certain kind i know where (Boston) they are from"

"I want to play for a fan base that's 100% behind me, not 50%"

Sure as heck sounds like a carbon copy of Crawford's take - before he signed here.

Here is hoping Price has enough bottom to pitch well despite all of the objections he will face in Boston - and you're dreaming if you think it'll always be wine and roses for price here.

j-bay
12-02-2015, 04:16 PM
98.5 is reading from a Tomase interview with Price 5 months ago:

"Boston is not my kind of town"

"when i read negative tweets of a certain kind i know where (Boston) they are from"

Sure as heck sounds like a carbon copy of Crawford's take - before he signed here.

Here is hoping Price has enough bottom to pitch well despite all of the objections he will face in Boston - and you're dreaming if you think it'll always be wine and roses for price here.

I think he will be fine. The Media needs to zip it if he does well. Do not piss him off.

Soxfan85
12-02-2015, 05:35 PM
What about his wife? She sure doesn't like Boston as well

@MsKansasState: Convinced that there must be a written rule that in order to be a Red Sox fan, you have to be a complete and utter POS. Wow!. – 5:55PM, October 4. 2013
@MsKansasState:: Wow he pimped the crap out of that homerun. #KeepItClassyBoston – 8:37 PM October 5, 2013

Bo Sox Fan
12-02-2015, 05:41 PM
That was 3 years ago in the heat of the moment in the post season, lol.

Price
Buchholz
Porcello
Rodriguez
Kelly

Deal Miley to the Pirates for LHRP Tom Watson and call it an offseason. What a luxury to still have Owens, Johnson, Workman & Wright as depth. Kelly could be the (good) Lackey type wildcard this rotation didn't see coming.

Fla.SticKy
12-02-2015, 05:43 PM

@MsKansasState: Convinced that there must be a written rule that in order to be a Red Sox fan, you have to be a complete and utter POS. Wow!. – 5:55PM, October 4. 2013
@MsKansasState:: Wow he pimped the crap out of that homerun. #KeepItClassyBoston – 8:37 PM October 5, 2013

217 mil says she has a change of heart. I bet she's wearing a hat & jersey on opening day.

Soxfan85
12-02-2015, 05:51 PM
217 mil says she has a change of heart. I bet she's wearing a hat & jersey on opening day.

True but makes you think what they really think of Boston regardless of money oh well. I like his dog though LOL

Bo Sox Fan
12-02-2015, 06:00 PM
She's probably laying in bed with a Red Sox thong at this very moment while the dog has a leather Boston 4 legged coat with a gold chain for a collar.... Pimpin!

Soxfan85
12-02-2015, 06:11 PM
She's probably laying in bed with a Red Sox thong at this very moment while the dog has a leather Boston 4 legged coat with a gold chain for a collar.... Pimpin!

lol

Bo Sox Fan
12-02-2015, 06:35 PM
To Oakland:
DH Hanley Ramirez
SP Brian Johnson
~ cash

To Boston:
1B/DH Billy Butler

celticsman2009
12-02-2015, 06:36 PM
I do not want Joe Kelly in the rotation next season.

AI
12-02-2015, 06:37 PM
To Oakland:
DH Hanley Ramirez
SP Brian Johnson
~ cash

To Boston:
1B/DH Billy Butler

Awful. Would rather take my chances on a Hanley bounceback.

Celtic AL
12-02-2015, 07:27 PM
To Oakland:
DH Hanley Ramirez
SP Brian Johnson
~ cash

To Boston:
1B/DH Billy Butler

Ew.

Bo Sox Fan
12-02-2015, 07:41 PM
Ew.

That's what she said

Sportfan
12-02-2015, 07:42 PM
The Hanley trade proposals are absolutely ridiculous. There is no way his value becomes lower than what it is now, with another year of salary off the books. There is no reason to trade him unless he's becoming a clubhouse issue

Station 13
12-02-2015, 10:06 PM
I do not want Joe Kelly in the rotation next season.

I do. He's got mid 3 rotation potential. Still young.

Station 13
12-02-2015, 10:17 PM
I think he will be fine. The Media needs to zip it if he does well. Do not piss him off.

I don't know why he reads anonymous tweets. Twitter world is vile.

homie564
12-02-2015, 11:45 PM
I want Kelly in the pen. I think he takes away the need for another hard throwing reliever. As a 7th inning guy he could probably dial up close to 100 and be very effective imo. I think he has closer potential.

RedSoxtober
12-03-2015, 01:52 PM

Is it a surprise that the fans were against him when he was an opponent? That's kind of silly. It's no different IMO than the Price-Ortiz feud where the whole "comrade in arms" thing has been invoked. They were enemies and now they're not; same with the fanbase.

That's not at all to suggest that Price will always have an easy go in BOS -- from either media or fans. The media (Shaughnessey in particular) can be petty and harbor grudges in ways that seem beneath their task. The fans, of course, will be up in arms if he loses two starts in a row or has (another) bad post season start. Hopefully they deal with it in a different way than the vitriol spat when defending their favorite son (Ortiz). I think that it's different but if you don't then so be it.

RedSoxtober
12-03-2015, 02:02 PM

The main problem that I have with the argument against Price and his wife is that it focuses exclusively on the social media stuff related only to the Sox. What's the larger context? Did they ONLY complain about BOS or is this the heart of the competitor that is only now exposed through social media (when previously a lot of the same stuff was probably said in the club house where we could not see/hear it).

j-bay
12-03-2015, 02:03 PM
Is it a surprise that the fans were against him when he was an opponent? That's kind of silly. It's no different IMO than the Price-Ortiz feud where the whole "comrade in arms" thing has been invoked. They were enemies and now they're not; same with the fanbase.

That's not at all to suggest that Price will always have an easy go in BOS -- from either media or fans. The media (Shaughnessey in particular) can be petty and harbor grudges in ways that seem beneath their task. The fans, of course, will be up in arms if he loses two starts in a row or has (another) bad post season start. Hopefully they deal with it in a different way than the vitriol spat when defending their favorite son (Ortiz). I think that it's different but if you don't then so be it.

Yeah I hope Shaughnessey keeps a lid on it. But I doubt it.
Guys who will most likely cause problems for.Price are.
Shaughnessey
Minihane
Felger

Am I missing anyone else?

j-bay
12-03-2015, 02:28 PM
According to the Globe, (Sorry I can't post the article, I'm out of free views)the only Free Agent visit John Henry made was for Price.

AI
12-03-2015, 02:38 PM
You may have heard … the Red Sox reached an agreement with a pitcher.

In case there’s any mystery in the aftermath of the Red Sox’ record-setting seven-year, $217 million agreement with David Price, make no mistake: The Red Sox identified Price as their clear top priority. Red Sox principal owner John Henry, who also owns the Globe, met with one and only one free agent this winter, according to multiple major league sources, and it was Price.

The meeting took place last month, between the GM meetings and Thanksgiving. Henry, president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski, GM Mike Hazen, and manager John Farrell traveled to meet with Price and his agent, Bo McKinnis, in Price’s Nashville-area home.

The Red Sox entered the offseason convinced that Price was the pitcher they wanted at the front of their rotation. They wanted to make no secret of that fact in conversations with the lefthander, helping to explain the small group of officials that sat down with him for a face-to-face conversation.

If the pursuit of him meant outspending the field, the team was prepared to do that. The Red Sox’ $217 million bid was $27 million more than the runner-up Cardinals, Nick Cafardo reported. The Red Sox elevated the market for top-end pitchers to a record level, but believe the reward will be worth the risk.

Peter Gammons reported (via Twitter) that the Red opened with an offer of $200 million and then upped the ante to $217 million to get the deal done when they heard of the Cardinals’ offer.

It seems like a lot of money – and it is – but considering that MLB revenues have more than tripled since Kevin Brown broke the $100 million threshold, the arrival of the $200 million pitcher arguably has occurred more deliberately than expected.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/12/03/john-henry-only-free-agent-visit-was-david-price/FryHr6rFvfQn7E96t8aVqI/story.html?event=event25

RedSoxtober
12-03-2015, 03:53 PM
Yeah I hope Shaughnessey keeps a lid on it. But I doubt it.
Guys who will most likely cause problems for.Price are.
Shaughnessey
Minihane
Felger

Am I missing anyone else?

I just think that it's different with Shaughnessey. Guys like Felger get off on being over the top (in order to attact an audience). Their rants are more about themselves than their target. Shaughnessey, on the other hand, seems to get personal and refuses to get over it. In fact, I think that I've read more than one piece where he's referenced his prickly relationships in print almost like it's a badge of honor.

j-bay
12-03-2015, 05:13 PM
@BNightengale

David Price is scheduled to take his physical tonight with the Boston #RedSox and introduced Friday to the Boston media.

bagwell368
12-03-2015, 10:15 PM
The Hanley trade proposals are absolutely ridiculous. There is no way his value becomes lower than what it is now, with another year of salary off the books. There is no reason to trade him unless he's becoming a clubhouse issue

He sucked after his hot start. He got hurt, we were told he was going to learn 1B, when he was ready to come back they just told him to go home. Yeah, he's a gem. Of course he's an issue.

Where does he play this year? 20 games at DH, 10 games as a PH, and 110 games at 1B?

He would cost a lot to deal away. Even if he was happy at DH in '17, he's nowhere near the hitter Ortiz has been, and he's getting paid more...

If the idiots had just signed Lester and avoid Fatty and this clown and be spending like this? WOW.

bagwell368
12-03-2015, 10:19 PM
You guys are funny, list 3 or 4 journalists.

You know that playground taunt? I'm like rubber and you're like glue, everything you say bounces off of me, and sticks to you?

Well, Price is "glue". If he pitches even for a stretch like he belongs in a glue factory, he's going to get hammered by thousands. This is Boston this is what we do. If you haven't noticed, you aren't paying attention.

Lester was the consummate pro with the media and fans. I bet inside of 3 months of the start of the season, he's had more "glue" episodes than Lester had here his whole career - unless he's pitching like Pedro in 1999.

rollins94
12-03-2015, 11:01 PM
You guys are funny, list 3 or 4 journalists.

You know that playground taunt? I'm like rubber and you're like glue, everything you say bounces off of me, and sticks to you?

Well, Price is "glue". If he pitches even for a stretch like he belongs in a glue factory, he's going to get hammered by thousands. This is Boston this is what we do. If you haven't noticed, you aren't paying attention.

Lester was the consummate pro with the media and fans. I bet inside of 3 months of the start of the season, he's had more "glue" episodes than Lester had here his whole career - unless he's pitching like Pedro in 1999.

Why are worried about a scenario where the prerequisite is Price sucking? If can't live up to the contract and/or his performance declines noticeably, thats the real issue. Pointless to speculate about how much worse things will get from media pressure and Prices inability to handle scrutiny. If he can't perform, thats already worst case scenario. At that point I won't give a damn how he handles himself.

Lackey is a good example of a guy recently who doesn't handle media attention well and we saw that play out here. Pre TJ surgery when he sucked he was crapping on fans and in denial about terrible starts and that went over like a lead balloon. When he came back and was healthy and won a ring, it didn't matter at all, fans loved him.

Im sure the sox could live with a scenario where price takes heat for some failures as long as they are measured with the ultimate success as Lackeys tenure was. I agree with you that its not reasonable to expect smooth sailing every day for 7 (or 3) years. But at that point the issue should be performance and not ancillary noise.

RedSoxtober
12-03-2015, 11:30 PM

True or false: there is a difference between getting called out on a professional level for a lack of execution and getting cursed out on a personal level because you're the enemy.

-Lavigne43-
12-04-2015, 03:08 AM
That incident after the playoff game was clearly unprofessional. He wasn't just getting into twitter fights with Red Sox fans, he was insulting the analysts doing the postgame show for critiquing him after a game he gave up 7 runs in. http://sports.cbsimg.net/images//visual/whatshot/David-Price-tweet-100613.png

Everyone knows about his feud with Ortiz, and he has not been able to just let it go, similar to how Crawford hates on the Red Sox every year. As recently as the all star break he called Ortiz washed up.

The difference is that Price is a better player than Crawford and has had success pitching at Fenway. I also don't expect him to have the same mental anxiety about his contract as Crawford did. Price knows he is one of the best pitchers in the game. He is not going to change himself to live up to the contract, like Crawford who tried to become a hr hitter. Also he has been greatly appreciated as a tremendous teammate and great mentor for young pitchers everywhere he has played. The former Blue Jays GM called him the best teammate hes ever seen. Brad Ausmus said the same thing. He was only on the Blue Jays for a couple months and he has former teammate saying this about him https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVLVqrcVAAA7ddW.jpg

Gammons wrote this demonstrating the kind of teammate he is

The gametime temperature was 38 degrees, with a 15 MPH wind that made it feel as if they were in minus Celsius territory. Snow flurries. When Price hit Jacoby Ellsbury with a pitch in the first inning, Ellsbury said “it felt like a giant, icy snowball.”
Price never did get the feel of the baseballs that night. He gave up six runs in the first inning. He left with one out in the top of the third down 8-4 with a 2.1 10 8 8 3 2 line. “It felt like Hanover in February,” Ausmus later said, but when he looked down the bench in the bottom of the ninth inning with the clock approaching 11 pm, there was David Price, bundled up, sitting in the dugout, the Tigers down 13-4, cheering for a comeback.

You know Lester did not do things like that, which is fine because that is rare behavior from an elite SP. Lester never actively tried to mentor or help out younger pitchers, he just did what he had to do to prepare himself, with the exception of 2011. We have not really had that kind of hands on leadership for our pitchers since Varitek retired, which is different from our position players where Pedroia took on an active role on Xander, and Victorino really helped out Mookie. This is by no means a negative shot at Lester, I'm just trying to show that Price has some positives in his behavior too, and he will be far from a toxic presence in the clubhouse.

Still I am concerned that if he gets off to a poor start the relationship between him and the fans could get to Lacey levels of toxicity and his performance could be effected. It's a valid concern that their could be some real negativity between him and the city, and that the only reason he is here is because of the money. If he pitches like David Price that will all go away.

Sportfan
12-04-2015, 11:48 AM
He sucked after his hot start. He got hurt, we were told he was going to learn 1B, when he was ready to come back they just told him to go home. Yeah, he's a gem. Of course he's an issue.

Where does he play this year? 20 games at DH, 10 games as a PH, and 110 games at 1B?

He would cost a lot to deal away. Even if he was happy at DH in '17, he's nowhere near the hitter Ortiz has been, and he's getting paid more...

If the idiots had just signed Lester and avoid Fatty and this clown and be spending like this? WOW.

And that's exactly why you don't trade him. There is no benefit. Hey, if he really sucks start Shaw and make Hanley into a PH, but why give up assets and moneyy for him to play somewhere else and potentially be good? His shoulder also affected his year last season. I just see no incentive to get rid of him, it's not like we have a great option at 1st (not a believer in Shaw) and the market is terrible after Davis. Hanley is our best option for 1B and if he performs, great our lineup becomes better and he becomes tradeable down the line, if not just stick him to the DL.

j-bay
12-04-2015, 12:57 PM
@DAVIDprice14

Thank God the blood sample part of my physical is over!! Best sample I've ever given..I love Boston already!! Maybe an inch of snow as well?

RedSoxtober
12-04-2015, 01:11 PM
And that's exactly why you don't trade him. There is no benefit. Hey, if he really sucks start Shaw and make Hanley into a PH, but why give up assets and moneyy for him to play somewhere else and potentially be good? His shoulder also affected his year last season.
Do you realize that this is self-contradictory?

I just see no incentive to get rid of him, it's not like we have a great option at 1st (not a believer in Shaw) and the market is terrible after Davis. Hanley is our best option for 1B and if he performs, great our lineup becomes better and he becomes tradeable down the line, if not just stick him to the DL.
The incentive is roster flexibility created by removing anywhere from $10M-12M from future payroll. The "upside" to keeping him is the hope of makng him the most expensive DH in the history of MLB. In fact, he will be paid roughly twice the rate of the average DH. If you can get something close to his level of recent production (2013-15: .288/.351/.490, 17HR, 60RBI) from some of the club-controlled players then you're better off from an overall roster construction perspective to pay for him to play elsewhere. The decision is not just about Hanley but the opportunities that he keeps you from.

I also believe that you are wrong about whether or not we have another "great option at 1B". I agree that Travis Shaw is not likely to be more than a placeholder or corner IF reserve but I would trust him to hold the spot for a year if necessary. Behind him is Sam Travis who does look like a solid 1B. He'll probably be more something more along the lines of a John Olerud type hitter (doubles while occasionally touching 20HR); maybe not "great" but certainly sufficient for a lineup that will get above average production up the middle. If 1B were an open audition he wouldn't be the first guy to jump from AA (.300/.384/.436, 243AB/17-2B/4-HR) to MLB. If not, he'll be in the conversation by midseason.

RedSoxtober
12-04-2015, 01:15 PM
@DAVIDprice14

Thank God the blood sample part of my physical is over!! Best sample I've ever given..I love Boston already!! Maybe an inch of snow as well?

I think that this is the thing with Price... and Johnny Gomes nailed it on the head the other day... he's part of the social media generation. Granted, he's on the older end of it, but he's still a part. EVERYTHING is public for him. The down side are the flame wars and pissing contests that we see all too often... and all too public.

RedSoxtober
12-04-2015, 03:19 PM
Still I am concerned that if he gets off to a poor start the relationship between him and the fans could get to Lacey levels of toxicity and his performance could be effected. It's a valid concern that their could be some real negativity between him and the city, and that the only reason he is here is because of the money. If he pitches like David Price that will all go away.

Yes, if he starts poorly there could be some negativity between him and the fan base. I still think that it'll be different than when fans felt like they needed to defend Ortiz (stupid) but it might not take long to escalate considering what he's said in the past.

But this is kind of a sad premise, isn't it? We just signed the top FA on the market at what must rightly be considered the market rate for someone of his caliber. We got the prize that many did not think we could win because of ownership's reticence to sign such a contract. We landed the big fish that, to a person, the forum would agree was one of two possible, best-case talent solutions to our biggest problem. And the biggest discussion that we can muster is how badly it could go if he gets off to a career-worst start. What a ****ing petty group we are.

AI
12-04-2015, 03:25 PM
Considering how our most recent big ticket items have performed (Hanley, Panda, Crawford) I think the discussion has it's merits but I think both Price and Kimbrel will prove to be the exception to the rule in that they will be able to thrive here.

Bo Sox Fan
12-04-2015, 04:36 PM
Price is way to good of a pitcher to warrant more jeers than cheers. If Ronda Rousey can break down after a fight and finally shake her opponents hand after getting her *** handed to her, then Price and Red Sox nation will be more than fine.

Bo Sox Fan
12-04-2015, 04:54 PM
He loves Boston already.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox/clubhouse_insider/2015/12/david_price_i_love_boston_already

j-bay
12-04-2015, 05:20 PM
It's Official!

@RedSox
The #RedSox today signed LHP David Price to a 7-year contract through the 2022 season with an opt-out clause after the 2018 season.

@WEEI
.@RedSox officially announce they have signed David Price to a 7-year deal. Press conference today at 5:15.

AI
12-04-2015, 05:29 PM
Cecchini DFA'd to make room for Price on the 40-man roster. He was once one of my favorite prospects, results went south these last two years and his defense never really improved.

j-bay
12-04-2015, 05:36 PM
@AdamMKaufman

David Price will wear the No. 24 for #RedSox. Makes sense. Like Manny Ramirez, he's elite and maybe a little crazy.

j-bay
12-04-2015, 06:20 PM
Is everybody watching?!

redsoxknicks
12-04-2015, 06:52 PM
He comes across very well and sounds genuinely glad to be pitching for Boston. Made special mention of the youth of the team and in the minors being a reason he came.

redsoxknicks
12-04-2015, 07:00 PM
Price had only glowing things to say about Ortiz, even called him Big Papi. Had a smile on his face throughout and mentioned the winning culture, Boston's ability to go out and get what is needed at the trade deadline, being familiar with the city and wanting to stay in the AL East where it is tough to play and win.

AI
12-04-2015, 07:04 PM
He absolutely killed that press conference. People in Boston are going to love him.

j-bay
12-04-2015, 07:11 PM
He absolutely killed that press conference. People in Boston are going to love him.

If I was blind and couldn't see, the way he was talking about himself, I would have thought he was Pedro.

j-bay
12-04-2015, 07:14 PM
He comes across very well and sounds genuinely glad to be pitching for Boston. Made special mention of the youth of the team and in the minors being a reason he came.

Yeah after the interview DD mentioned that David asked not only who would be on the team this year but who would possibly be on the team the next few years.

Bo Sox Fan
12-04-2015, 07:16 PM
Price is legit.

Also interesting, DD saying...

"There's more starting pitchers than we have positions for but I like our depth. We've also received a lot of calls on our depth and are open minded. We'll address this more next week at the winter meetings when we can sit down with teams and their people."

Vincent33
12-04-2015, 07:36 PM
Great presser by Price. Super confident and poised. Just like an ace should be.

AI
12-05-2015, 01:00 AM
There was Fenway Sports Group’s newest investment, David Price, being introduced as a member of the Red Sox after signing a $217 million contract that will make him the highest paid pitcher in the history of baseball, and he was talking about riding a bike.

“Coming to Boston three times a year, I know my way around this city,” Price said Friday afternoon. “I get on a Hubway and I start pedaling. That’s something I love doing."

The room full of Red Sox’ front office members laughed, but Red Sox chairman Tom Werner’s laugh was short, almost non-existent. His face cringed. He lunged forward from his place on the podium and spoke into his microphone.

“We’re not going to let David drive a Hubway in the future,” he said, half-smiling, half-laughing. “We’re going to drive him to Fenway Park.”

Imagine that, their prized pitcher, riding a bike to work. Werner would rather not.

Injuries are too frequent as it is. The Red Sox don't need their prized pitcher taking a chance over potholes and weaving through traffic on busy streets.

Werner and principal owner John Henry, among others, are making a massive investment of historical nature. Back in 2010, they purchased the entire Liverpool Football Club for a reported price of about $470 million. Now they’re planning to spend almost half that on just one player for the Red Sox, paying Price an average of $31 million per season, tied with Miguel Cabrera for the highest annual average salary in the game.

“We know it’s a big risk,” Werner said after the press conference. “It just made sense to take this risk.”

How did they know Price was worth it?

It started on the first day of the offseason, when Werner and Henry asked president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski about free agent targets.

The first name on the list: David Price.

The Red Sox also met with Jordan Zimmermann and Zack Greinke, according to industry sources, but Price was their primary target from the beginning.

On Nov. 19, Henry, Dombrowski, general manager Mike Hazen, assistant general manager Frank Wren and president Sam Kennedy flew down to Nashville to meet Price in his home state.

“I had never had chicken fried chicken before,” Kennedy said. “We went to this restaurant in Nashville it was probably the best food I ever had. It was so good.

“But we wanted to send the message that we thought Boston would be a great fit for him.”

The Red Sox brought with them a specially made program. It was a detailed book that showed Price all about the history of the team since the current ownership group took over. They emphasized the Red Sox foundation, knowing Price’s charitable tendencies. And they talked about the team’s future.

Said Kennedy, “I asked him at one point, I said, ‘Look, you’re going to get a huge contract no matter what, but is there anything we can do as an organization to stand out?’ And he said, ‘Show me that you have an opportunity to win. I will not be happy if we’re not winning.’

“So he asked us to go through position by position.”

Hazen gave Price a rundown, going through the 25-man roster, then the 40-man roster. Price even wanted to know about last year’s first-round pick, Andrew Benintendi.

“I want to win,” Price said.

Conversations with Price’s agent stopped during Thanksgiving, then picked up again immediately afterward. The Red Sox weren’t thrilled about giving Price the ability to opt-out after three years, but if the opt-out is a separator and that’s what the pitcher wanted, the club was willing to provide it.

Coming up with the money would be difficult, but Kennedy was encouraged by the Red Sox’ recent bottom line, which has been trending up.

“We’re one of the top teams in baseball in terms of revenue,” Kennedy said.

He pointed to fan support, increased money from sponsorships and the extra cash the Sox have been able to earn by turning Fenway Park into a multi-sport venue during the offseason.

The marketing team looked at Price’s smile, his outgoing personality, and they too got excited.

When every department in the Red Sox became committed, the only thing left was knowing Price was committed too.

“The youth that we have, the team we can put out there on Opening Day right now, I think that's very special," Price said.

So the Red Sox offered the biggest deal any pitcher has ever received. And on Friday he signed it.

A day earlier, Werner had flown Price, along with Red Sox pitcher Clay Buchholz, from Las Vegas to Boston in his private jet. Somewhere near Kansas, Werner was faced with a scary realization.

“I realized halfway across the country that, really, it was his plane,” Werner said, half-laughing again. “He’s making a lot of money going forward.”

That’s the cost of signing an ace.

And the Red Sox are happy to pay it, as long as he stops riding that damn bike.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox/clubhouse_insider/2015/12/how_the_red_sox_courted_david_price_to_boston

AI
12-05-2015, 10:48 AM
Now that Greinke signed, it's a blessing that we were able to land Price when we did. Could you imagine what the Dodgers would offer him if he was still available? Lots of teams looking for a TOTR pitcher and the difference between Price and Cueto is rather significant. Dombrowski might have had to offer an 8th year or a higher AAV if we got in a bidding way with some of these teams.

j-bay
12-05-2015, 12:47 PM
We needed this. There won't be another ace on the Market until 3 years. In the the only guy who is an ace is Arrieta and he is most likely going back to Chicago. There is Strasburg but he always gets hurt. After that you got guys like Weaver, Wilson Sabathia, etc.

j-bay
12-05-2015, 12:52 PM
By the way remember last year about this time when we lost Lester, and we were all talking about Cueto.

AI
12-05-2015, 05:31 PM
This is another solid read.

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/john-tomase/2015/12/05/how-deal-was-done-inside-red-sox-pursuit-david

-Lavigne43-
12-05-2015, 07:59 PM
Just wait for the Speier article. Then you will be able to get really busy down there.

j-bay
12-05-2015, 08:16 PM
Pedro gives Price a thumbs up

PUNTA CANA, Dominican Republic -- Pedro Martinez wasn’t thinking about anything other than the health of his left hamstring when he arrived in Port St. Lucie, Fla., on May 28, 2008.

But he left raving about David Price.

Martinez was 36 years old then, nearing the end of his Hall of Fame career and hoping his body would hold up long enough for a few last hurrahs. Price was 22, drafted first overall by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays the previous June and making his second pro start in an A-ball game attended by less than 2,000 fans.

And if you don't believe in the existence of the baseball gods, how else do you explain the former and future aces of the Red Sox sharing a mound for six innings that night?

"I got to see him the (second) day he threw a ball in professional baseball, and now, I'm going to get a pretty good, close look at him in a personal way," Martinez said from David Ortiz' eighth annual charity golf event. "I was like, 'Wow, this kid is really something.' And I predicted it. I said, 'This kid has it.' Because he was attacking, he was aggressive in the strike zone. It was just a matter of him getting his body built up to becoming who David Price is."

Over the past few months, Martinez has undoubtedly told that story to Dave Dombrowski, not that the Red Sox president of baseball operations needed to be convinced Price is the right ace at the right time for a franchise that hasn't had one since it traded Jon Lester 16 months ago. Even in his interview with the Sox in August, Dombrowski mentioned Price by name as "the kind of pitcher we want to go after," according to principal owner John Henry.

But when the greatest pitcher of his generation shares the same opinion, it only strengthens the resolve to commit $217 million over seven years to the top free-agent starter on the market. And there are signs Martinez has a more influential voice than ever within the corridors of Yawkey Way since becoming a Red Sox special assistant in 2013.

Dombrowski has asked Martinez' advice for how the team can best utilize its academy in the Dominican Republic. He also values Martinez' knowledge of pitching so much that he invited him to join the Sox' contingent this week at the winter meetings in Nashville.

"Especially when we were talking pitching, he wanted to hear my input about that," Martinez said. "You soak in what the organization is trying to do, and then, if they want to rely on my input about some things that should be approached about pitching, I'm more than happy to actually participate."

And make no mistake, Martinez offered his full-throated endorsement of Price, whom he has admired ever since that day in Port St. Lucie.

It wasn't only that Price (six scoreless innings, two hits, nine strikeouts) outpitched rehabbing Pedro (six innings, two runs, four hits, six Ks). It was Price's electric fastball, which touched 96-97 mph, according to an MLB.com report from the game. Martinez also saw a pitcher who had precision command to both sides of the plate, wasn't afraid to throw inside and consistently worked ahead in the count.

It was no wonder, then, that the Rays called up Price later that season and put him in the bullpen for the playoffs. Price even tossed 2-1/3 scoreless innings against the Red Sox in the ALCS, earning the win in Game 2 and the save in Game 7.

"I saw the same look, the same approach from the first day to the last time I've seen him pitch," Martinez said. "I got to see him in the World Series right away. I saw exactly what I saw in that (A-ball) game in the World Series coming in in relief."

Since then, Price has evolved into a legitimate No. 1 starter, with the 2012 Cy Young Award to prove it. As much as anyone, Martinez understands the value of a 200-inning leader of a rotation who can handle the scrutiny that comes with being an ace.

“David is that guy,” Martinez said. “He’s smart enough to know that the media is always going to be asking questions, especially with the contract. But I think he’s really emotional when it comes to the game, very passionate. He’s a lot of fun, too, so the Boston fans are going to really embrace him. I think he’s going to get what Boston can give you, Pedro-like treatment. And I think he will perform as well.

"I was praying the Red Sox would go and get someone to help (Rick) Porcello and those guys kind of relax a little bit. I’m extremely excited. I hope he feels comfortable. We’ll see. I like him a lot.”

From first sight, in fact.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox/clubhouse_insider/2015/12/pedro_martinez_got_an_early_look_at_future_red_sox _ace

MasterWok
12-06-2015, 12:35 AM
Dont care about the money. Needed an ace and got one. We will see about the playoff numbers, certainly hope he can increase the sample size.

Sportfan
12-06-2015, 10:55 PM
Do you realize that this is self-contradictory?

The incentive is roster flexibility created by removing anywhere from $10M-12M from future payroll. The "upside" to keeping him is the hope of makng him the most expensive DH in the history of MLB. In fact, he will be paid roughly twice the rate of the average DH. If you can get something close to his level of recent production (2013-15: .288/.351/.490, 17HR, 60RBI) from some of the club-controlled players then you're better off from an overall roster construction perspective to pay for him to play elsewhere. The decision is not just about Hanley but the opportunities that he keeps you from.

I also believe that you are wrong about whether or not we have another "great option at 1B". I agree that Travis Shaw is not likely to be more than a placeholder or corner IF reserve but I would trust him to hold the spot for a year if necessary. Behind him is Sam Travis who does look like a solid 1B. He'll probably be more something more along the lines of a John Olerud type hitter (doubles while occasionally touching 20HR); maybe not "great" but certainly sufficient for a lineup that will get above average production up the middle. If 1B were an open audition he wouldn't be the first guy to jump from AA (.300/.384/.436, 243AB/17-2B/4-HR) to MLB. If not, he'll be in the conversation by midseason.

10-12? No doubt Boston will have to eat more than half of that contract if he was traded right now, that's going to be over 40+ plus. The roster doesn't need more money right now, we don't have much money invested long term other than Porcello/Price/Pablo. Shaw is a bench player at best, and Sam Travis seems to fit more on the line of Casey Kotchman than John Olerud (a multiple time all star/GG winner)

I just don't see a reason to write him off before he even steps on the field again.

RedSoxtober
12-07-2015, 01:01 AM
10-12? No doubt Boston will have to eat more than half of that contract if he was traded right now, that's going to be over 40+ plus.
$10M-12M per year. Sorry, that's the way I think in terms of roster construction.

The roster doesn't need more money right now, we don't have much money invested long term other than Porcello/Price/Pablo.
If you believe this then you have not been doing your homework. Check out the the thread I made about the impact of the Price signing. We're up to our elbows in guaranteed contracts. We're past $210M in terms of luxury tax for 2016. In real dollars we have $155.5M in 9 guaranteed contracts for 2017 -- that's without picking up options on Buchholz or Hanigan, and ignores the 16 other guys that it will take to fill out a roster. By 2018 we still have $125M guaranteed without picking up the option on Kimbrel (or Miley).

Do you like Bogaerts and Betts? They'll be blowing through arbitration during those seasons. Sign at least one of them to a deal and these numbers go up... probably not by just a little.

Shaw is a bench player at best, and Sam Travis seems to fit more on the line of Casey Kotchman than John Olerud (a multiple time all star/GG winner)

I just don't see a reason to write him off before he even steps on the field again.

I think that you misread the specificity of this: "something more along the lines of a John Olerud type hitter (doubles while occasionally touching 20HR)." That is a very specific description of the type of hitter he might be as a 1B. He's not ever going to be an Abreu type masher at 1B -- traditionally a power position. He's a solid average, doubles guy. The comparison to Olerud, who was also an exceptional defender, goes no further than that.

RedSoxtober
12-07-2015, 05:24 PM
Good read (http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/12/05/price/9fixJHvzvF2OJVPLqd2TVP/story.html?s_campaign=108stitches:newsletter) from Speier/Globe on the acquisition of Price. Nice to see the Sox were on his wish list heading into the FA period.

j-bay
12-12-2015, 07:28 PM
Mookie and David go bowling
http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2015/12/12/new-red-sox-teammates/77204802/