PDA

View Full Version : Kobe to retire after this season

lakerfan85
11-29-2015, 08:06 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14254236/kobe-bryant-los-angeles-lakers-announces-retire-season

Heatnation80
11-29-2015, 08:06 PM
Kobe has announced he is retiring

Per ESPN: When he retires at the end of the season, Kobe Bryant will be third on the NBA's all-time scoring list, behind only Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Karl Malone. Bryant is currently 17th in career games played, and needs to play just 44 more to move up to 11th.

goingfor28
11-29-2015, 08:08 PM
He should just retire now

lakerfan85
11-29-2015, 08:09 PM
He should just retire now

No.. We need that top 3 pick..

lamzoka
11-29-2015, 08:09 PM
A season too late

MTar786
11-29-2015, 08:10 PM
kobe making us lose is the best thing possible. i hope he keeps ruining us. lets kobe go out gunz blazing and it gets us the first pick hopefully :)
ps kobe is mega trash

lakerfan85
11-29-2015, 08:10 PM
A season too late

Actually he should've retired when he tore his Achilles.. That was the beginning of the end..

KnicksorBust
11-29-2015, 08:14 PM
I am just relieved he announced it so people can start celebrating his career and paying tribute to a living legend instead of ripping him everyday in the media. That was brutal and now that we know he isn't going to try and hang on for another season or two we can cheer him openly again for his great career. Hope he makes some special memories on his way out.

ChI_ShIzzLe
11-29-2015, 08:17 PM
Let the farewell tour begin.

MavsUCCB
11-29-2015, 08:18 PM
I hope it's not like the Derek Jeter tour. Pre game ceremony mania

"Kobe in your last game against the Wizards we wanted to show you our career retrospective of you vs. Washington."

"Your final game here in Milwaukee Kobe, let's look back at that time we tried to scare you with our mascot."

Quick nod to him and get on with the game.

YAALREADYKNO
11-29-2015, 08:19 PM
damn all the players I grew up watching are about to all retire smh

Avenged
11-29-2015, 08:20 PM
You kind of felt it was coming but I'm still somewhat shocked. I think a lot of fans and even non fans are going to try to get a lakers ticket game when they're in town.

Teeboy1487
11-29-2015, 08:21 PM
Actually he should've retired when he tore his Achilles.. That was the beginning of the end..

He was never the same after that. That injury completely robbed him of the little athleticism he had left during that time. Kobe has also logged alot of minutes throughout his career including playoffs. Kobe is frustrating to watch this year but man it was a pleasure watching him throughout his entire career. Hope the up and coming Lakers are half as good as he was.

slaker619
11-29-2015, 08:31 PM
He should retire after All star break

still1ballin
11-29-2015, 08:38 PM
KOBE BRYANT it has been an honor to watch you for the past 20 years. You're arguably the greatest player of this generation and the closest thing to Michael Jordan. I couldn't even be mad at you for dropping 62 in 3 quarters on my mavs one year. We have witnessed one of the greatest players ever. Sad this will be your last season in the NBA.

JunTao!!

FlashBolt
11-29-2015, 08:39 PM
You guys are disrespectful as hell. An All-Time NBA top 10 great and arguably, the most influential basketball player since the 00's. He's playing terrible but he deserves the right to play it out. I hope he gets into the All-Star game and they create a Kobe themed tribute for him. Any top 10 great deserves to walk out with praise regardless of how they have played.

bomber0104
11-29-2015, 08:40 PM
Now I'm going to have to go see him when they come to Toronto next week

My favourite player and it would be a shame if I never get to watch him live

PurpleLynch
11-29-2015, 08:42 PM
This is like the end of an era for me. I grew up watching,adoring Kobe and the Lakers. He's playing bad and finally he recognized that his body can't take it anymore. I'm heartbroken,but I hope he'll use his last energies to mentor our youngsters and to show us some glimpses of his greatness(that will live despite detractors and his current level of play).

Wade n Fade
11-29-2015, 08:44 PM
Goodbye and good riddance. One of the most overrated players of all time. 2nd best player of all time? Lol give me a break.

lamzoka
11-29-2015, 08:46 PM
Garnett should follow soon

still1ballin
11-29-2015, 08:55 PM
Man now they are gonna raise the ticket prices for every game haha

Wade n Fade
11-29-2015, 09:08 PM
You guys are disrespectful as hell. An All-Time NBA top 10 great and arguably, the most influential basketball player since the 00's. He's playing terrible but he deserves the right to play it out. I hope he gets into the All-Star game and they create a Kobe themed tribute for him. Any top 10 great deserves to walk out with praise regardless of how they have played.

The #s show he isn't as clutch or efficient as people made him out to be years ago. He's not a top 10 player. I can name 10 better players than him: Jordan, Magic, Hakeem, Bird, Duncan, Shaq, Russell, LeBron, Wilt, Kareem, just to name a few. No he doesn't deserve to play in an All Star game. Whoever votes for him disrespects the game. An all star should be merit based for the current season and not based on the past or popularity. He doesn't deserve respect. Kobe is an arrogant guy who is a terrible teammate at times. He is often overly critical, selfish, apathetic, and derogatory. He can be callous and classless too. The Kobe love is disgusting at times. Good bye and good riddance to him.

YAALREADYKNO
11-29-2015, 09:08 PM
JunTao!!

What's good homie? Haha gotta show respect to one of the greatest man

Wade n Fade
11-29-2015, 09:12 PM
Garnett should follow soon

It's actually better for the game if Garnett and Kobe leave. It will be bad for the game if Paul Pierce retires. He has played decent for someone his age when he was in Washington. Kevin Garnett is one of the biggest fake guys I have seen play ball. He was really talented, but he would pick on smaller guys to seem tough. Charles Oakley would eat Garnett for a snack. KG just punked people. He is just an overpaid shell of himself.

Redrum187
11-29-2015, 09:14 PM
I'm part of the minority that hesitates to put Kobe in the top 10. Having said that, he truly is the 2nd or 3rd best SG the game has ever seen. He got respect from his peers as being the greatest player in the league, even when we all knew LeBron took the torch. I am able to look passed the emotional arguments and appreciate, nevertheless, what he brought to the NBA for 20 seasons. I am actually really sad to hear this. It makes me think of my 2 favorite players' eminent retirement as well (Tim Duncan and Dirk Nowitzki).

ClutchTime
11-29-2015, 09:15 PM
We all knew this was coming it was just a matter of when. Great career for Kobe.

Redrum187
11-29-2015, 09:16 PM
The #s show he isn't as clutch or efficient as people made him out to be years ago. He's not a top 10 player. I can name 10 better players than him: Jordan, Magic, Hakeem, Bird, Duncan, Shaq, Russell, LeBron, Wilt, Kareem, just to name a few. No he doesn't deserve to play in an All Star game. Whoever votes for him disrespects the game. An all star should be merit based for the current season and not based on the past or popularity. He doesn't deserve respect. Kobe is an arrogant guy who is a terrible teammate at times. He is often overly critical, selfish, apathetic, and derogatory. He can be callous and classless too. The Kobe love is disgusting at times. Good bye and good riddance to him.

I actually agree with you more than I disagree, although I think a lot of what your saying is really unnecessary.

Out of curiosity, do you have Kobe ahead of Wade in the all time list?

HandsOnTheWheel
11-29-2015, 09:17 PM
People always focus on the negatives with Kobe and seemingly forget how much of a force he was, not only on the Lakers, but on the league as a whole. This is coming from someone who used to hate Kobe and was always rooting against him. Awesome to see someone as lethal a scorer as Kobe lead the storied Lakers back to prominence for all those years. Once-in-a-lifetime talent for sure.

FlashBolt
11-29-2015, 09:18 PM

Lol? Contrary to what you think, Kobe is still one of the most feared players to step on the court. When he gets going, very few could ever stop him. Check how many high scoring games he has had and then tell me who has even come close to it since he's done it. Answer: Zero. Also, can you explain why Bird/Russell are better than Kobe? Because I guarantee you probably have no argument as to how/why. All-Star game hasn't been about who's the best for quite some time and has been about a popularity contest. Guarantee you Kobe will get top three in the West voting this season for the All-Star game. You might want to stop sounding salty.. you probably think Wade is the 2nd best SG huh? You're just being an emotional child. Bring in some legitimate arguments to question his greatness or just go back to thinking Wade is the GOAT.

NFLNBA
11-29-2015, 09:20 PM
I am just relieved he announced it so people can start celebrating his career and paying tribute to a living legend instead of ripping him everyday in the media. That was brutal and now that we know he isn't going to try and hang on for another season or two we can cheer him openly again for his great career. Hope he makes some special memories on his way out.

:clap: Exactly. The man is a legend. Arguably GOAT. His stats say so, his work ethic, his rings, his dominance. People seem to forget the dude was un-guardable and 3 people couldnt stop him. It is very sad to see him go out like this on such a awful team and not go out on top or atleast contending. Regardless.....20 years on same team= most ever, 17 all-stars and prob 18 because people will vote him in this year WATCH and that would = most ever, countless 1st team all-nba, all defense, slam dunk champ, 5 rings, NBA MVP, finals MVPs, 8 straight 40 pt games, 63 pts in 3 quarters, 81 point game buy a GUARD! 2 Gold medals......and on and on and on.............I will watch every last remaining game of his because he deserves it just like Derek Jeter did. This man should be applauded in every arena this year!!!

Vinny642
11-29-2015, 09:21 PM
As much as I hated him throughout his career. He is easily one of the best players ever, and the league will look a little different without him.

NFLNBA
11-29-2015, 09:22 PM
Lol? Contrary to what you think, Kobe is still one of the most feared players to step on the court. When he gets going, very few could ever stop him. Check how many high scoring games he has had and then tell me who has even come close to it since he's done it. Answer: Zero. Also, can you explain why Bird/Russell are better than Kobe? Because I guarantee you probably have no argument as to how/why. All-Star game hasn't been about who's the best for quite some time and has been about a popularity contest. Guarantee you Kobe will get top three in the West voting this season for the All-Star game. You might want to stop sounding salty.. you probably think Wade is the 2nd best SG huh? You're just being an emotional child. Bring in some legitimate arguments to question his greatness or just go back to thinking Wade is the GOAT.

That dude put Lebron ahead of him lol Same Lebron who has lost what 5 finals appearances lmfao can we for once stop bringing up comparisons and celebrate this man.....most kids in this site dont even know Prime Kobe. He deserves mad respect from all fans of basketball

still1ballin
11-29-2015, 09:24 PM
Colby Brian iz ze gratest no ?s askd,

still1ballin
11-29-2015, 09:25 PM
JunTao!!

What's good homie? Haha gotta show respect to one of the greatest man

Haha bro, you posted the same comment on Facebook on the tnt page and when I read your post I was like wait a minute! I just read that! Haha

Wade n Fade
11-29-2015, 09:27 PM
I actually agree with you more than I disagree, although I think a lot of what your saying is really unnecessary.

Not at all. I keep Wade ahead because he has transcended the position more than Kobe imo. He's among the top blockers for his size in the history of the game. He had one of the best finals performances of all time. Wade managed to take the secondary role on a team where he will always be known as the franchise guy. Wade is also more efficient than Kobe. Wade played for one of the best shooting teams in recent memory too. He doesn't call teammates out through the media like Kobe. PER and intangibles off the court are the two major things I hold against Kobe.

shep33
11-29-2015, 09:28 PM
Great career, but it's time. 2nd greatest shooting guard ever

FlashBolt
11-29-2015, 09:32 PM
Just ignore Wade n Fade, he thinks Wade is the 2nd best SG of all time and ahead of Kobe.. Wade at 30 years old was hobbling around behind LeBron taking breaks because his knees couldn't handle it. Wonder why no one is talking about how terrible Wade is playing right now. HINT: His knees are starting to get him again.

Wade n Fade
11-29-2015, 09:33 PM
That dude put Lebron ahead of him lol Same Lebron who has lost what 5 finals appearances lmfao can we for once stop bringing up comparisons and celebrate this man.....most kids in this site dont even know Prime Kobe. He deserves mad respect from all fans of basketball

Finals losses doesn't take away from LeBron's brilliance. He is one of the more efficient players of all time. His physical stature combined with his vision makes him a tough guard because he can go Magic or Big O on his opponents since he has similar vision to those legendary players.

NFLNBA
11-29-2015, 09:35 PM
Just ignore Wade n Fade, he thinks Wade is the 2nd best SG of all time and ahead of Kobe.. Wade at 30 years old was hobbling around behind LeBron taking breaks because his knees couldn't handle it. Wonder why no one is talking about how terrible Wade is playing right now. HINT: His knees are starting to get him again.

Yeah dudes like Wade in Flash makes you question fans lol he needs to put his pride aside from being a wade lover and admit Wade was never half of Kobe. Wade and Lebron for years said Kobe was the best player in the game......Wade was a beast but Kobe was and is a LEGEND

still1ballin
11-29-2015, 09:36 PM

Not at all. I keep Wade ahead because he has transcended the position more than Kobe imo. He's among the top blockers for his size in the history of the game. He had one of the best finals performances of all time. Wade managed to take the secondary role on a team where he will always be known as the franchise guy. Wade is also more efficient than Kobe. Wade played for one of the best shooting teams in recent memory too. He doesn't call teammates out through the media like Kobe. PER and intangibles off the court are the two major things I hold against Kobe.

k

Pakman
11-29-2015, 09:37 PM
Goodbye and good riddance. One of the most overrated players of all time. 2nd best player of all time? Lol give me a break.
You're right. Wade deserves that honor. LOL

Wade n Fade
11-29-2015, 09:37 PM

Not the Heat's fault they managed Wade better than the Lakers did with Kobe. Would you rather have Duncan hobble more with injuries or give him time off under a maintainence program? New age statistics show that Kobe is overrated. When I do blind player A vs player B, people are more likely than not to say Wade > Kobe. That's a small sample size, but people looking at stats will understand Wade > Kobe.

nickdymez
11-29-2015, 09:38 PM
As expected the immaturity on this board is at an all time high.

NFLNBA
11-29-2015, 09:39 PM
Finals losses doesn't take away from LeBron's brilliance. He is one of the more efficient players of all time. His physical stature combined with his vision makes him a tough guard because he can go Magic or Big O on his opponents since he has similar vision to those legendary players.

Lebron is a ring chaser bro....the dude leaves teams to team up with others and when the game matters he needs a ray allen, wade, Bosh then when they are getting old he leaves for a younger 3 all-star team with Kyrie, Love ect He is apart of this new generation that makes basketball bad. The floppers, the ring chasers....Lebron is a great combo of size and speed ect but he will never be the killer Kobe was. He willed his teams. Yeah Lebron such brilliance and so great his record in finals is WORST EVER LMAO

YAALREADYKNO
11-29-2015, 09:40 PM
Haha bro, you posted the same comment on Facebook on the tnt page and when I read your post I was like wait a minute! I just read that! Haha

Haha just gotta show respect bruh since especially on here you've seen what dudes still think about Kobe

NFLNBA
11-29-2015, 09:42 PM
Not the Heat's fault they managed Wade better than the Lakers did with Kobe. Would you rather have Duncan hobble more with injuries or give him time off under a maintainence program? New age statistics show that Kobe is overrated. When I do blind player A vs player B, people are more likely than not to say Wade > Kobe. That's a small sample size, but people looking at stats will understand Wade > Kobe.

Who besides you thinks Wade was better than Kobe....you look like a fool kid, dont let your pride blind you...wade was a great player but he never got close to reaching Kobes level NEVER

still1ballin
11-29-2015, 09:45 PM

Haha just gotta show respect bruh since especially on here you've seen what dudes still think about Kobe

For sure bro! "I already know!!"

FlashBolt
11-29-2015, 09:45 PM

You don't get it, do you? Wade HAD to sit out those games because his body couldn't handle it. He's very fortunate LeBron was there to carry him to glory while he sat in his suit while continuing to make money. If LeBron wasn't on that Heat squad, Heat would have forced Wade to play to make the playoffs and he would have had bigger issues to look at. He can thank LeBron for that. BTW, how is the rehabilitation plan going? He's having the worst season of his career and I hear zero peeps from you. Kobe at Wade's age was dominating the league and was still a top five player. You are delusional buddy... The fact that you really think Wade>Kobe just shows the level of ignorance that has polluted your mind.

YAALREADYKNO
11-29-2015, 10:01 PM
for sure bro! "i already know!!"

already

lamzoka
11-29-2015, 10:04 PM
Kobe is the most overrated player of all time.

Bruno
11-29-2015, 10:06 PM
As expected the immaturity on this board is at an all time high.

it's mainly a few select heat fans (along with this mouth breather above me^). guys like Wade n Fade who only joined PSD after the super team in Miami formed. those clowns are pathetic. they embarrass themselves, no need to even confront them directly. I see a lot of respect from people who actually matter, you just gotta let the classless expose themselves and keep the focus on celebrating a great career in the game we all love.

jerellh528
11-29-2015, 10:07 PM
Stop bringing wade and Lebron into this thread about Kobe. This is kobes last season, I bet as much as you all hate him, you'll catch a few laker games this season because you're watching the last games of a literal basketball icon. Kobe has earned the respect of anyone who has witnessed a ball go through a hoop. It's time though, he gave everything he had on the court. I grew up watching him play, I've gone from a prepubescent kid to a father all in the time I've been watching Kobe dominate on the court, but all good things must come to an end. Probably the second largest basketball figure behind Jordan.

gaughan333
11-29-2015, 10:15 PM
:clap: Exactly. The man is a legend. Arguably GOAT. His stats say so, his work ethic, his rings, his dominance. People seem to forget the dude was un-guardable and 3 people couldnt stop him. It is very sad to see him go out like this on such a awful team and not go out on top or atleast contending. Regardless.....20 years on same team= most ever, 17 all-stars and prob 18 because people will vote him in this year WATCH and that would = most ever, countless 1st team all-nba, all defense, slam dunk champ, 5 rings, NBA MVP, finals MVPs, 8 straight 40 pt games, 63 pts in 3 quarters, 81 point game buy a GUARD! 2 Gold medals......and on and on and on.............I will watch every
last remaining game of his because he deserves it just like Derek Jeter did. This man should be applauded in every arena this year!!!

I'd love to hear any legitimate argument that supports this ridiculous claim

Bruno
11-29-2015, 10:15 PM
This is the text from the release:

KOBE BRYANT
Dear Basketball,

From the moment
I started rolling my dadís tube socks
And shooting imaginary
Game-winning shots
In the Great Western Forum
I knew one thing was real:

I fell in love with you.

A love so deep I gave you my all ó
From my mind & body
To my spirit & soul.

As a six-year-old boy
Deeply in love with you
I never saw the end of the tunnel.
I only saw myself
Running out of one.

And so I ran.
I ran up and down every court
After every loose ball for you.
You asked for my hustle
I gave you my heart
Because it came with so much more.

I played through the sweat and hurt
Not because challenge called me
But because YOU called me.
I did everything for YOU
Because thatís what you do
When someone makes you feel as
Alive as youíve made me feel.

You gave a six-year-old boy his Laker dream
And Iíll always love you for it.
But I canít love you obsessively for much longer.
This season is all I have left to give.
My heart can take the pounding
My mind can handle the grind
But my body knows itís time to say goodbye.

And thatís OK.
Iím ready to let you go.
I want you to know now
So we both can savor every moment we have left together.
The good and the bad.
We have given each other
All that we have.

And we both know, no matter what I do next
Iíll always be that kid
With the rolled up socks
Garbage can in the corner
:05 seconds on the clock
Ball in my hands.
5 Ö 4 Ö 3 Ö 2 Ö 1

Love you always,
Kobe

KOBE BRYANT /
KB_Black_Signature

still1ballin
11-29-2015, 10:30 PM
Colby Brian iz ze gratest no ?s askd,

the word you is lookin fo is "axed".

free as seagull

Caw caw

still1ballin
11-29-2015, 10:31 PM
On a serious note, why all the hate? This is a once in a life time player. Embrace it.

More-Than-Most
11-29-2015, 10:49 PM
top 10 player of all time with the GOAT Work Ethic... Dude came to play every single night... I hope he makes the all star game.

kdspurman
11-29-2015, 10:49 PM
Much respect to one of the all time greats. Hopefully he'll have a few more big moments this season

More-Than-Most
11-29-2015, 10:50 PM
Basketball area on PSD at its best with the disrespect :pity:

giants73756
11-29-2015, 11:11 PM
It's pathetic when players announce their retirement early in the season. He's just doing this for more attention on his "farewell tour". And to try to stop fans from talking **** about how lazy he has become this year. Classy players don't have to do this prima donna ****.

R. Johnson#3
11-29-2015, 11:22 PM
The injuries sure did suck but it's time.

Kevj77
11-29-2015, 11:27 PM
One of the best ever, but it's time for him and the Lakers to move on

Twenty years on one team is special. There are posters on PSD that weren't even born when his career started

IKnowHoops
11-30-2015, 12:00 AM
Greatest effect on the game.

1st tear. Jordan, Shaq, Wilt, Lebron, Kareem

2nd tear. Drob, Duncan, Dream, KG

3rd tear. Kobe, Wade, Tmac, KD, Curry

4th tear. Chris Paul, AI, Dr. J, Barkley, Malone, Dirk, Bird, Magic,

giants73756
11-30-2015, 12:01 AM
Tier*. Not tear.

Jeffy25
11-30-2015, 12:02 AM

perfectly said

Jeffy25
11-30-2015, 12:06 AM
On a serious note, why all the hate? This is a once in a life time player. Embrace it.

Once in a lifetime?

I wouldn't even call him the best of any decade he played in.

Jordan is a once in a lifetime player, so was Kareem.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-30-2015, 12:15 AM
He should of retired after he got his last ring.

WOwolfOL
11-30-2015, 12:16 AM
This is the text from the release:
This was touching.

nickdymez
11-30-2015, 12:17 AM
Once in a lifetime?

I wouldn't even call him the best of any decade he played in.

Jordan is a once in a lifetime player, so was Kareem.

That's certainly your opinion

Jeffy25
11-30-2015, 12:18 AM

Kobe is the best player to play in our lifetimes? Average person lives 75 years....

LeBron is def better, Jordan was too, his career was bookended by both of these guys, and this doesn't include guys like Duncan

ink
11-30-2015, 12:38 AM
Relief. More of a nuisance than a star. Tier 2 MJ.

ink
11-30-2015, 12:42 AM

Kobe is the best player to play in our lifetimes? Average person lives 75 years....

LeBron is def better, Jordan was too, his career was bookended by both of these guys, and this doesn't include guys like Duncan

LBJ, Shaq, Duncan, Curry, Jordan, Hakeem, just for starters.

lakerfan85
11-30-2015, 12:42 AM

You must live a sad life if you get relief from an athlete announcing his retirement..

HoopsDrive
11-30-2015, 12:44 AM
He was a great player, one of the all-time greats, this coming from from someone who's not even a fan. We were all lucky to get to watch him play in his prime (hopefully no one who just watched him these past couple of years). It was time to move on, go enjoy that retirement, you earned it.

He was a top 10 player, top 15 if you wanna push it, but you can't doubt his greatness.

PS: Some mad haters in here. You don't have to like the guy, I personally don't, but he's without a doubt one of the greatest to play the game.

ink
11-30-2015, 12:45 AM

You must live a sad life if you get relief from an athlete announcing his retirement..

Hardly. The league is bouncing back after he declined. Otherwise basketball is just a sport.

HoopsDrive
11-30-2015, 12:48 AM
I hope people realize that when you put MJ next to Kobe, even if you're trying to demean the latter, it actually comes off as a massive compliment. MJ is the consensus GOAT, you saying Kobe was not even close to MJ is one of those captain obvious moments. No **** he's not MJ. No one is. Not Kobe, not LeBron, not Magic.

And all the other players being mentioned are also all-timers. What's the bad thing about being behind MJ, Kareem, Magic, Hakeem, Timmy, LeBron again? So all the players outside top 50 are trash then? Like I said, some mad haters in here.

ink
11-30-2015, 01:00 AM
I hope people realize that when you put MJ next to Kobe, even if you're trying to demean the latter, it actually comes off as a massive compliment. MJ is the consensus GOAT, you saying Kobe was not even close to MJ is one of those captain obvious moments. No **** he's not MJ. No one is. Not Kobe, not LeBron, not Magic.

And all the other players being mentioned are also all-timers. What's the bad thing about being behind MJ, Kareem, Magic, Hakeem, Timmy, LeBron again? So all the players outside top 50 are trash then? Like I said, some mad haters in here.

I think the issue with Kobe is that he may never quite live down 1. 2004 and the trial and 2. the stigma of being an imitation of MJ, who himself was not really good for the game. It took Kobe's retirement for the low period of unending ISO plays to end. That just wasn't good basketball.

LA_Raiders
11-30-2015, 01:08 AM
Love him or hate him. He is the GOAT...

IBleedPurple
11-30-2015, 01:09 AM
Good. Waited too late, milked $48.5M from LA. That being said, in his prime, he was the best player I'd seen since Jordan (changed since). Would be hovering around the bottom 10 of GOAT rankings IMO.

still1ballin
11-30-2015, 01:18 AM

Youdontknowhoops

HoopsDrive
11-30-2015, 01:22 AM
I think the issue with Kobe is that he may never quite live down 1. 2004 and the trial and 2. the stigma of being an imitation of MJ, who himself was not really good for the game. It took Kobe's retirement for the low period of unending ISO plays to end. That just wasn't good basketball.

I agree with point 1, I personally don't like the guy and the trial is a big part of that. However, speaking strictly about bball, I don't think anyone can doubt he's an all-timer. He's not MJ and I was never one to compare him to anyone, let alone the consensus GOAT, so it's easy for me to just tell it like it is, farewell to an all-timer who's somewhere in the top 10 or top 15.

I don't share your POV about their playstyle being bad for the game mainly because I never got to watch bball before the MJ era. But a player can only play in the years of his career, he can't go play in the 80s, the 70s or any other era. He was a product of his time, you can't fault him for being a great in a time when ISOs were the norm. Few players can affect the game like Wilt or MJ and change the game on their own. Personally, I like the offense to focus on inside-out plays, to have more dominant PF and C but that simply isn't the way the league is heading now. I'd like to say that's bad but honestly, it's just how the game evolves, and every sports goes through this.

Srry if I gotta an overused saying but... don't hate the player, hate the game lol.

FlashBolt
11-30-2015, 01:29 AM
Are we judging a player's greatness for not being like MJ? No one is like MJ just like no one can be Magic, Kobe, Shaq, or LeBron. These guys are top ten greats who have a place as their own. Kobe transcended the game whether you like it or not. Name me five NBA players who have had such an influence in the game more than Kobe. It's one thing to say he's having a terrible season but good riddance? Haha, that's just downright disrespectful for an All-Time NBA top ten player (how many top ten players are there? Oh right.. ten!). And then some of you mention his rape case.. Really?

YAALREADYKNO
11-30-2015, 01:44 AM

What do you mean by greatest effect?

YAALREADYKNO
11-30-2015, 01:45 AM
Hate em or love em you have to respect his greatness

joshhorvath
11-30-2015, 01:46 AM
why are we discussing wade vs bryant, or where Kobe stands all time... theres other threads to do this in.. This thread is about Kobes retirement.. wether or not you liked him.. he was still an amazing player, and in my lifetime, probably the best of the 00's, then Lebron took over in 10's. i dont care about GOAT, i want to give thanks to Kobe for pouring his life into the NBA.

He spent his life devoted to basketball, blood sweat and tears for the nba, he played his whole career with one team, hes won championships and gold medals.. No matter your position on him, you gotta respect him for what he did and how much he really cared about this sport. I honestly cant think of anyone else right now in the NBA who is currently as devoted and cares as much about the NBA/His Team/Basketball as much as Kobe did in his career.

Thank you Kobe for all the memories, i know forsure this league is going to be different without you.

zn23
11-30-2015, 02:06 AM
The entire Lakers team, and Byron Scott, were collectively think "THANK GOD".

JWorthy42
11-30-2015, 02:12 AM
One of the greatest to ever step on the hardwood. Easily a Top 10 player of all time. Second best shooting guard to ever pick up a basketball.

Thank you for the 5 championships, thank you for all the memories.

Thank you, Kobe.

asandhu23
11-30-2015, 02:26 AM

Did you really leave Baylor, Oscar, Cousy, West and Russell off this list?

kobe4thewinbang
11-30-2015, 02:27 AM
Well, this early in he must know it is time. One of the greats, will never forget watching him hit that shot against the Suns (jumped out of my seat). All star Game vs MJ. He's willed the Lakers to several comebacks. I hope he has one more game winning fadeaway left. But the dude has made an awesome legacy, and forget the haters.

KINGOFSPORTS
11-30-2015, 02:58 AM
The last 2 or 3 years has completely ruined Kobe's mystique IMO

He went from a guy that dominate the ball because he "wanted to win at all costs" to being exposed for what he truly is - a selfish ballhog that puts himself before all of his teammates - no matter what.

There's something to be said for players that leave the game in their prime - like Magic Johnson. They are forever remembered in that light... great players should start leaving sooner instead of tainting their image

numba1CHANGsta
11-30-2015, 04:01 AM
Let the Kobe-Scott-Jim Buss-Cupcake farewell tour begin! :clap:

PurpleLynch
11-30-2015, 04:23 AM
The amount of disrespect is over 9000 thousands in this thread,but it's expected,fans are biased for nature and some of them understand bball as much as Megan Fox understands acting...I could say that one of them goes so deep in his hatred and his ignorance that he blessed himself with Megan Fox as avatar.

eso
11-30-2015, 04:47 AM
Thank you for the memories Kobe, was prevail aged to whiteness his greatness first hand hopefully he can get his legs under him a
little and go out with a little bit of that Kobe flare... all time great and maybe the most fierce competitor ever in the NBA.

LakersIn5
11-30-2015, 06:55 AM
kobe making us lose is the best thing possible. i hope he keeps ruining us. lets kobe go out gunz blazing and it gets us the first pick hopefully :)
ps kobe is mega trash

Yeah as if lakers are going to win with kobe not playing. Kobe sat 3 games already and lakers lost all 3 horribly.

BKLYNpigeon
11-30-2015, 10:02 AM
Kobe, please don't go to NBA onTNT and ruin that chemistry they have on that show.

go to ESPSN!

tredigs
11-30-2015, 10:21 AM
Are we judging a player's greatness for not being like MJ? No one is like MJ just like no one can be Magic, Kobe, Shaq, or LeBron. These guys are top ten greats who have a place as their own. Kobe transcended the game whether you like it or not. Name me five NBA players who have had such an influence in the game more than Kobe. It's one thing to say he's having a terrible season but good riddance? Haha, that's just downright disrespectful for an All-Time NBA top ten player (how many top ten players are there? Oh right.. ten!). And then some of you mention his rape case.. Really?
Lol Kobe "transcended the game"? Come agan? He literally molded his career off of a player that was still in the league in his first seasons. Are you just throwing words against the wall?

I'm all for giving praise to a guy who gifted the game some amazing moments, but let's not pretend the guy is royalty (actually that to I have no particular care for). He's a guy who played with a ball for a living. Did it well, until he didn't.

5 more influential than Kobe you ask? Wilt, Dr. J, Magic, Bird, Jordan. And he doesn't approach the influence of any. Next.

tredigs
11-30-2015, 10:28 AM
I will say this about Kobe, nobody will perform a better copy-cat act, ever. And I don't even mean that disparagingly. Jordan was the GOAT, and Kobe put on a suit that allowed us to relive a lot of aspects of his career as a sort of 2 decade long homage for the younger generation to get a taste of what it was like to watch his Airness.

nickdymez
11-30-2015, 11:37 AM

Don't try and force your opinion on me. Jordan and Duncan are the people on that list that I can understand someone having your stance. Just because YOU hate Kobe, doesn't mean I should. You take in the game different from me.

DanG
11-30-2015, 11:44 AM
He is better! No he is better! No I think he is the worst.

LMAO bunch of suckers grow up.

Scoots
11-30-2015, 12:09 PM
Kobe was an all-time great ... and like many all-time greats he waited too long to hang it up.

It's sad to see his memory tarnished like this.

FlashBolt
11-30-2015, 12:43 PM
Lol Kobe "transcended the game"? Come agan? He literally molded his career off of a player that was still in the league in his first seasons. Are you just throwing words against the wall?

I'm all for giving praise to a guy who gifted the game some amazing moments, but let's not pretend the guy is royalty (actually that to I have no particular care for). He's a guy who played with a ball for a living. Did it well, until he didn't.

5 more influential than Kobe you ask? Wilt, Dr. J, Magic, Bird, Jordan. And he doesn't approach the influence of any. Next.

Oh, sorry.. I forgot someone who isn't named Curry isn't great. He did transcend the game. Look at how many players look up and idolize him. He took the game over and became the biggest NBA attraction after Jordan left. Are you attempting to sound poetic with that throwing words against the wall comment?

Dr. J never had the impact Kobe had for the game. And Dr. J played half his career for the ABA.. Go back to your Stephen Curry threads, please.

tredigs
11-30-2015, 01:09 PM
Oh, sorry.. I forgot someone who isn't named Curry isn't great. He did transcend the game. Look at how many players look up and idolize him. He took the game over and became the biggest NBA attraction after Jordan left. Are you attempting to sound poetic with that throwing words against the wall comment?

Dr. J never had the impact Kobe had for the game. And Dr. J played half his career for the ABA.. Go back to your Stephen Curry threads, please.
Flash, you're so... simple. You're a bore. Look up transcendent, describe what makes Kobe that, and we can further this talk.

FraziersKnicks
11-30-2015, 01:12 PM
One of the greatest to ever do it, but i'm not sad he's retiring. I despise his style of basketball. The success of teams like the Spurs and Warriors are showing you that iso-ball, hero-mode chuckers aren't gonna lead their teams to a huge amount of success.

This season he's a bit of an embarrassment. I understand the mileage and injuries etc. but to continuously force 20 shots a game whilst shooting 31% and not letting some of the young guys have as much a chance just sums up Kobe for me. An extraordinary skilled player but a selfish egomaniac who either wants to win his way or no way. Team sports don't really have much of a place for players like that anymore in today's movement orientated NBA.

I also don't get all the love for him being on one team his whole career. He forced his way to LA to play with a top 5 player ever in his prime, he then demanded trades when the going for tough and was fortunate enough to be handed another HOF'er in his prime. All while playing in the glamorous market of Los Angeles. That's really not that hard to do when you're dealt a hand as good as he was.

I have a hell of a lot of respect for the man and appreciate his status as a top 10 player of all-time but he is the perfect example of a poor man's version of another player. It's not a huge knock on him that the player is MJ but he hasn't done anything in this league that hasn't been done before. Top 3 player of his era.

FlashBolt
11-30-2015, 02:20 PM
Flash, you're so... simple. You're a bore. Look up transcendent, describe what makes Kobe that, and we can further this talk.

You're thinking about the MJ vs Kobe comparison way too much. He transcended NBA in taking it to a new level. Just look at how many players idolize him and how China has been elevated into the biggest basketball country in the world. One thing they know is Kobe Bryant. They love him despite him not being the best. That's called transcending the game to another level, buddy. He's arguably the most famous basketball name outside of Jordan in NBA history. I'm not saying his abilities as a basketball player transcended the game but more-so his impact on the game globally. Tredigs, you're insecure. I get it. You and I both know it just from how you always resort to negative comments when they aren't needed. Just like how you always brag about "winning" bets because you probably spend all day watching/fixating on advanced stats while having a marathon of Curry videos on your TV.

YAALREADYKNO
11-30-2015, 02:32 PM
Greatest laker of all time or nah?

mngopher35
11-30-2015, 02:34 PM
It's too bad he's gotta go out like this. After that Achilles injury at his age/mileage it was somewhat expected though.

Great career and goes down as a fringe top 10 player (most probably have him inside). I didn't really like him as a person or his style of play but no one can deny he was one of the best to ever play. It will be sad to see such a great player hang em up but it happens to everyone eventually.

Jeffy25
Don't try and force your opinion on me. Jordan and Duncan are the people on that list that I can understand someone having your stance. Just because YOU hate Kobe, doesn't mean I should. You take in the game different from me.

I don't hate Kobe, I just think some over rate him

Scoots

Starting 5.

Jeffy25

Kareem and Magic for sure

FlashBolt
11-30-2015, 02:37 PM
He's probably IMO the greatest Laker since his longevity is insane. He's won as much as the other greats but has the career to also back that up. I would have said Kareem if his entire career was played out for the Lakers but it simply wasn't the case. Magic's career was way too short compared to Kobe. IDC, to be honest. The Lakers greats (KAJ, Magic, Shaq, Kobe) are all in contention for that prestige.

nickdymez
11-30-2015, 02:37 PM
I don't hate Kobe, I just think some over rate him

Explain please. I'm curious how a guy who was the focal point of 5 championships, top 3 all-time scorer, owns almost every Lakers record there is, holds almost every shooting guard record, and set countless NBA precedence's amongst other things, overrated.

Jeffy25
11-30-2015, 02:39 PM
Explain please. I'm curious how a guy who was the focal point of 5 championships, top 3 all-time scorer, owns almost every Lakers record there is, holds almost every shooting guard record, and set countless NBA precedence's amongst other things, overrated.

When people talk about him as a top 5 player all-time, they are over rating him.

Kobe is Jordan lite. No shame in that, but he belongs in the top 10 range, not top 5. Not a huge change, but Jordan, Duncan, Shaq, Kareem, Magic, LBJ, Wilt etc are ahead of him

tredigs
11-30-2015, 02:49 PM
You're thinking about the MJ vs Kobe comparison way too much. He transcended NBA in taking it to a new level. Just look at how many players idolize him and how China has been elevated into the biggest basketball country in the world. One thing they know is Kobe Bryant. They love him despite him not being the best. That's called transcending the game to another level, buddy. He's arguably the most famous basketball name outside of Jordan in NBA history. I'm not saying his abilities as a basketball player transcended the game but more-so his impact on the game globally. Tredigs, you're insecure. I get it. You and I both know it just from how you always resort to negative comments when they aren't needed. Just like how you always brag about "winning" bets because you probably spend all day watching/fixating on advanced stats while having a marathon of Curry videos on your TV.
What? Here's a bet for you: Find 3 posts of my 15 thousand that I've spent talking about winning a sports bet and I will venmo you $1,000. Open offer to anyone.

Continuously, you spew nonsense. You're a spare tire and an annoyance.

FlashBolt
11-30-2015, 03:00 PM
What? Here's a bet for you: Find 3 posts of my 15 thousand that I've spent talking about winning a sports bet and I will venmo you $1,000. Open offer to anyone.

Forum doesn't allow me to get past ten pages but I already found one instance already going up to that. Look at you, always making a damn bet. >Inferiority complex>insecure. You're making this too easy. You have a tendency to become enraged at the bat of an eye.

I continue to spew nonsense? I'm annoying you? PLEASE, you say that every time but you're the one quoting me!!!!!!

PurpleLynch
11-30-2015, 03:12 PM
I don't understand why he can't live his greatness as Kobe and not as MJ-light version. Why is there the need to compare them? Is Wade a better-Draxler?Was Shaq Wilt's light version(my eyes are just exploding reading what I've wrote). I can't stand these comparisons. Kobe is Kobe,Lebron is Lebron,MJ is MJ.
Do they have similar games? Yes,it's undeniable and also imo he is not in the same tier of MJ. Said that,as a fan who watched a ****-ton of his games,I can surely say that their game is also very different from a lot of angles.
Why people keep *****ing about one of the most important players of the last 10 years instead of paying a due tribute to an all time great? I understand people who didn't like his style,but a lot of posters here on PSD payed their homage anyway,even admitting their dislike for him.
The difference is that they recognized the relative importance of his retiring and they are not WWE divas who have to say their biased and useless opinions just to start an infinite and sterile conversation .
If you think he doesn't deserve a homage,you're free to think it,absolutely. Just shut your mouth and don't write on this thread when adults are having a nice and quiet exchange of opinions on a player like Kobe.
It's just plain silly and annoying.

FlashBolt
11-30-2015, 03:17 PM
I don't understand why he can't live his greatness as Kobe and not as MJ-light version. Why is there the need to compare them? Is Wade a better-Draxler?Was Shaq Wilt's light version(my eyes are just exploding reading what I've wrote). I can't stand these comparisons. Kobe is Kobe,Lebron is Lebron,MJ is MJ.
Do they have similar games? Yes,it's undeniable and also imo he is not in the same tier of MJ. Said that,as a fan who watched a ****-ton of his games,I can surely say that their game is also very different from a lot of angles.
Why people keep *****ing about one of the most important players of the last 10 years instead of paying a due tribute to an all time great? I understand people who didn't like his style,but a lot of posters here on PSD payed their homage anyway,even admitting their dislike for him.
The difference is that they recognized the relative importance of his retiring and they are not WWE divas who have to say their biased and useless opinions just to start an infinite and sterile conversation .
If you think he doesn't deserve a homage,you're free to think it,absolutely. Just shut your mouth and don't write on this thread when adults are having nice and quiet exchange of opinions on a player like Kobe.
It's just plain silly and annoying.

Yeah, it's becoming a tad annoying when people compare one player to another as a benchmark for their overall greatness. Kobe plays like MJ so he must be like MJ but he's not so he should be regarded as a lesser player than if he was to not be compared to anyone.. That's the answer I'm getting from some people. Kobe is the closest to MJ we have ever seen both pre/after MJ. But the fact that he has that reputation should be a BONUS. How many players could do what MJ has done to the slightest? Not many.

tredigs
11-30-2015, 03:19 PM
Forum doesn't allow me to get past ten pages but I already found one instance already going up to that. Look at you, always making a damn bet. >Inferiority complex>insecure. You're making this too easy. You have a tendency to become enraged at the bat of an eye.

I continue to spew nonsense? I'm annoying you? PLEASE, you say that every time but you're the one quoting me!!!!!!

"Enraged". You're a child, Flash. Find the posts or stfu.

Scoots
11-30-2015, 03:20 PM

Did you realize with this post you made it only take 2 posts where you talk about betting on sports to lost this bet?

tredigs
11-30-2015, 03:26 PM
Did you realize with this post you made it only take 2 posts where you talk about betting on sports to lost this bet?

I don't boast about "winning" very often. I'll discuss bets and make fun predictions on here on occasion. I bet a ton on sports every week and very rarely talk about wins/losses on this site. I will gladly ship the kid a grand if he can find 3 posts in my last 15 thousand where I gloat the subject.

FlashBolt
11-30-2015, 03:37 PM
I continue to spew nonsense? I'm annoying you? PLEASE, you say that every time but you're the one quoting ". "Enraged". You're a child, Flash. Find the posts or stfu.

I'm the child.. well, sorry to break the news to you but 35 year old's shouldn't be on a basketball forum site making bets with "children" now, should they? BTW, thanks for proving just how insecure you are.. Making a bet out of the random and then claiming I'm the one annoying him but at the same time, doesn't realize he's the one constantly requoting me.. You're a true example of what someone who is in his 30's shouldn't be doing. "Find the posts or stfu." Did you not realize that I can't dig past 200 posts or is that something too difficult to understand? I already found one post in under two minutes.

I don't boast about "winning" very often. I'll discuss bets and make fun predictions on here on occasion. I bet a ton on sports every week and very rarely talk about wins/losses on this site. I will gladly ship the kid a grand if he can find 3 posts in my last 15 thousand where I gloat the subject.

The fact you even boast about it shows how insecure you are. No one is asking you these things but you somehow feel the new to boast about it. AKA, you are insecure.

Do me a favor, Tredigs. How about you stop quoting me and then calling someone annoying when you're doing these things to yourself willfully? It's pathetic.

tredigs
11-30-2015, 03:54 PM
Ironically, part of my post you just quoted was in fact part of your sentence because of a glitch on here when I was quoting it. I redacted it on my end. Lol do the same, please.

And what am I boasting about, exactly? I need a better adversary. You're not cutting it Flash. I offered you money or stfu and yet, you're insistent on talking. What's the 1 post you have, btw? At least exhibit substance here kid.

I'm 31 btw : ]

Edit: Also, Kobe.

Hawkeye15
11-30-2015, 03:56 PM
While I have never been a Kobe fan, by announcing this, perhaps we can all (and all fans) stand back and appreciate his last run, even if it's not the Kobe we are used to seeing. Kind of like a Jeter thing.

I will go watch him when he comes to Minnesota. Last chance. Seen him play live probably 15 times. It's pretty cool how many fans he has around the nation, in other cities.

I still hate him haha, but I have to respect the fact that one of the best to ever play is doing his encore the next 60 games.

Tony_Starks
11-30-2015, 03:58 PM
Kobe announced his retirement last night. He’s a guy you grew up watching and got to know. What was your first thoughts when you heard this would be it for him?

Kevin Durant: “I did idolize Kobe Bryant. I studied him, wanted to be like him. He was our Michael Jordan. I watched Michael toward the end of his career with the Wizards and I seen that’s what Kobe emerged as the guy for us. I’ve been disappointed this year because you guys (media) treated him like ****. He’s a legend and all I hear is about how bad he’s playing, how bad he’s shooting, time for him to hang it up. You guys treated one of our legends like **** and I didn’t really like it. Hopefully now you can start being nice to him now that he decided to retire after this year. It was sad the way he was getting treated. He had just an amazing career, a guy who changed the game for me as a player mentally and physically. Means so much to the game of basketball. Someone I’m always gonna look to advice for anything. Just a brilliant, brilliant, intelligent man. Sad to see him go. He put his mark on the game.”

http://deadspin.com/kevin-durant-blasts-media-for-criticizing-kobe-bryant-1745282743

Tony_Starks
11-30-2015, 04:09 PM
A sad day. Like Kobe I foolishly thought he could get his game back but I think he's been forced to accept his body has quit on him.

Can't do anything but tip my hat. To dominate the game at the level he did for as long as he did? As a sg? Unheard of. Just glad I got to witness the entire show!

I will most def be at Staples Center a few times this season joining the standing ovation!

tredigs
11-30-2015, 04:13 PM
I appreciate KD for saying that to be honest. He had a great career and in the basketball world we can call him a brilliant man, indeed. As a fan of the game, though, do we have to show him respect as he outshoots everyone on his and the opposing team every night on ~30% from the field? Uh, no. That's not for me. Legendary career? Check Capable of embarrassing himself on a nightly basis on the fairly tour due to over usage and sub-par NBA talent level? Also a major check.

Scoots
11-30-2015, 04:28 PM

You just did it again :)

Scoots
11-30-2015, 04:40 PM
While I have never been a Kobe fan, by announcing this, perhaps we can all (and all fans) stand back and appreciate his last run, even if it's not the Kobe we are used to seeing. Kind of like a Jeter thing.

I will go watch him when he comes to Minnesota. Last chance. Seen him play live probably 15 times. It's pretty cool how many fans he has around the nation, in other cities.

I still hate him haha, but I have to respect the fact that one of the best to ever play is doing his encore the next 60 games.

The Lakers were the top drawing team over his career and that says a lot. I've seen him play several times as well, including one last shot dagger in a game I was certain my Warriors would win. Can't hate him, but I sure don't like him. It's just sad to see it end this way. I understand the desire to go out on your own terms, but he hasn't been able to practice like Kobe for a few years and he's trying to get by on that memory. I hope when the time comes LeBron steps away a year early rather than a few years too late, particularly considering how many of the last generations greats are going to be stepping down this off-season it's going to make the hall of fame inductions in 5 years a snap ... Duncan, KG, Kobe, Pierce ... Dirk is going to leave soon enough too.

c.c.
11-30-2015, 04:50 PM
It's gonna suck seeing Kobe starting in the All-Star game this year. I hope he declines the offer or fake an injury.

lavell12
11-30-2015, 05:20 PM

LeBron is retiring?

Sly Guy
11-30-2015, 05:39 PM
nooooOOOOoooooOOOO!!!!

Who am I gonna hate on when he's gone? I hate(d) the guy, but I can honestly say he's one of the all time greats and it's still sad to see him go.

Oh wait, I just remembered LeBron is still playing basketball, I'm ok for my player hate requirements for a few more years yet....Phew!

*Silver&Black*
11-30-2015, 05:44 PM
Gonna miss Kobe so much. The last of the players that truly wanted to be great and 'me vs the world' mindset. This new generation is soft.

http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/5450f0c469beddc803b33573/kobe%20bryant%20calls%20dwight%20howard%20soft%20g if.gif

Scoots
11-30-2015, 06:21 PM
LeBron is retiring?

lol

JasonJohnHorn
11-30-2015, 06:50 PM
damn all the players I grew up watching are about to all retire smh

You're a young pup still. All the guys I grew up watching retired before Kobe won his first ring ;-) lol

JasonJohnHorn
11-30-2015, 06:51 PM

A bit harsh, but..... +1.

YAALREADYKNO
11-30-2015, 07:06 PM
You're a young pup still. All the guys I grew up watching retired before Kobe won his first ring ;-) lol

Damn you old lmao jk

nickdymez
11-30-2015, 07:29 PM

Sounds like we are around the same age. Weird that you have such a negative view of Kobe

tredigs
11-30-2015, 08:00 PM
Sounds like we are around the same age. Weird that you have such a negative view of Kobe
You're a die-hard Lakers fan nick. Not everyone shares your disposition. I think the fact that Kobe is considered top 10 ever is a stretch, but the lemons have decided that's where he is. Where do you have him?

nickdymez
11-30-2015, 08:24 PM
You're a die-hard Lakers fan nick. Not everyone shares your disposition. I think the fact that Kobe is considered top 10 ever is a stretch, but the lemons have decided that's where he is. Where do you have him?
I don't hate him and I'm very objective about him. You guys hate him so much that if your a real basketball fan, you've deprived yourself of enjoying an all-time great. I felt the same way when Jordan was playing, up until a few years after he retired. It took some time for me to understand exactly what I was fortunate to see all those years. I'd imagine that Kobe will have the same impact on some people soon enough. The fact that he's being so disrespected by so many fans is truly sad. But oh well, I'm just a "die hard Lakers fan"

FraziersKnicks
11-30-2015, 08:56 PM
I don't hate him and I'm very objective about him. You guys hate him so much that if your a real basketball fan, you've deprived yourself of enjoying an all-time great. I felt the same way when Jordan was playing, up until a few years after he retired. It took some time for me to understand exactly what I was fortunate to see all those years. I'd imagine that Kobe will have the same impact on some people soon enough. The fact that he's being so disrespected by so many fans is truly sad. But oh well, I'm just a "die hard Lakers fan"

Yet you do the exact same thing with LeBron?

I'm probably one of the more outspoken Kobe haters on here, but I have my reasons as previously stated. I hate his selfish, me-first brand of basketball, but I will never deny the guy is an absolute warrior, incredibly skilled and one of the 10 best players to ever play basketball.

tredigs
11-30-2015, 10:00 PM
Yet you do the exact same thing with LeBron?

I'm probably one of the more outspoken Kobe haters on here, but I have my reasons as previously stated. I hate his selfish, me-first brand of basketball, but I will never deny the guy is an absolute warrior, incredibly skilled and one of the 10 best players to ever play basketball.

Yep, I very much agree. And I'd sooner be claimed a Lebron homer than Kobe. Both are close to top 10 all-time for me, but I'd rather see Lebron wear that accolade than Kobe.

AIRMAR72
11-30-2015, 10:32 PM
Kobe has announced he is retiring

Per ESPN: When he retires at the end of the season, Kobe Bryant will be third on the NBA's all-time scoring list, behind only Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Karl Malone. Bryant is currently 17th in career games played, and needs to play just 44 more to move up to 11th. kobe have been running on fumes for last 5 season but his love desire and passion for the game kept em going theres NOTHING left in tank kobe is FINISH he had great career spending 19yrs with one of greatest organization in the business Da Lakers congrats to Kobe Bryant

IBleedPurple
11-30-2015, 10:58 PM
If you think he doesn't deserve a homage,you're free to think it,absolutely. Just shut your mouth and don't write on this thread when adults are having a nice and quiet exchange of opinions on a player like Kobe.
It's just plain silly and annoying.This was beyond needed in this thread.

Jamiecballer
11-30-2015, 11:25 PM
He should retire after All star break

i think that's a very good idea. just play to the all-star game, play a few minutes and get your tribute, then gracefully fade away.

Jamiecballer
11-30-2015, 11:29 PM

x2. epitome of the me first generation. talented as hell, but a step back for the game.

Scoots
12-01-2015, 12:39 PM
For me Kobe is top 15 but top 10 is a small stretch ... great player no question though.

Tony_Starks
12-01-2015, 01:38 PM
"I knew I had to be better because of Kobe Bryant..." - @KingJames "I used him as my motivation throughout my career..."

valade16
12-02-2015, 03:37 AM
Not sure whether to make this a new thread or not (but figured we already had enough Kobe threads as is):

Given the volume of shots he's taking and his absolutely dreadful shooting, is this the worst season in NBA History by any player ever?

I mean you could point to some scrub at the end of the bench who has worse #'s but they usually don't play more than 5 mins a night or take more than a shot or two.

We're talking about end of bench terribleness on 30+ mpg and 17 fga's. He's shooting 30% FG and 20% 3PT and he just went 4/17 from deep in a game.

G_S_W
12-02-2015, 03:56 AM
Kobe is making a complete mockery of the game. It is beyond laughable, and also quite sad.

Sadly, Byron Scott is even worse of a coach than Kobe Bryant is of a player.

The Lakers' franchise has gone down the toilet. It's pretty amazing seeing Staples filled with celebrities paying top dollar to watch this (ongoing) train wreck.

It's a testament to the strength of the brand, and of silver's leadership that the association is thriving even with it's most prestigious franchise nearly completely ruined by the Buss kids.

tredigs
12-02-2015, 04:04 AM
Not sure whether to make this a new thread or not (but figured we already had enough Kobe threads as is):

Given the volume of shots he's taking and his absolutely dreadful shooting, is this the worst season in NBA History by any player ever?

I mean you could point to some scrub at the end of the bench who has worse #'s but they usually don't play more than 5 mins a night or take more than a shot or two.

We're talking about end of bench terribleness on 30+ mpg and 17 fga's. He's shooting 30% FG and 20% 3PT and he just went 4/17 from deep in a game.
I was thinking the same, but that just might be because I've been watching them a decent bit this year. What's interesting is that two other prominent guys are arguably just as bad right now #'s/volume wise. D. Rose and Mudiay.

More-Than-Most
12-02-2015, 04:17 AM
"I knew I had to be better because of Kobe Bryant..." - @KingJames "I used him as my motivation throughout my career..."

does Lebron looking up to Kobe make him Kobe a better player? I dont follow man

Tony_Starks
12-02-2015, 12:31 PM

You don't have to follow. It's a stand alone statement. Regardless of how some guys on psd behind a keyboard feel about Kobe he is still one of the most respected legends in the game. Your favorite players favorite player.....

cmellofan15
12-02-2015, 12:51 PM
I can't even laugh at Kobe's performances anymore, at this point it's just upsetting the way he's intentionally taking away from the game of basketball. hopefully LA will be a much better place once he's gone, but it seems like he's done some long term damage the way that he's handled these last few years.

Matter.
12-02-2015, 12:59 PM
I can't even laugh at Kobe's performances anymore, at this point it's just upsetting the way he's intentionally taking away from the game of basketball. hopefully LA will be a much better place once he's gone, but it seems like he's done some long term damage the way that he's handled these last few years.

Actually he is helping us land a top pick aka BEN SIMMONS!!

FraziersKnicks
12-02-2015, 01:07 PM

Kobe is the only player since the start of the shot clock era (1960 onwards) to shoot as low a TS% whilst attempting his volume of shots.

40.4 TS% on 17.6 FGA

The next lowest TS% is a whopping 5% higher (Chris Webber in his injured 2003-04 campaign had a 45.6 TS%).

To hold a TS% record by a whole 5% is remarkably bad.

If we look at FG% and 3PT % is gets even worse.

For FG%, there has only ever been 3 seasons where a player has shot below 38% on 17+ FGA per game. Kobe owns 2 of them and Jamal Mashburn the other.

Kobe's 30.1% is 7.8% worse than Jamal Mashburn's 37.9% in 1995-96 when he only played 18 games.

Kobe is shooting 7.6 threes a game and hitting at a 20.8% clip. The next worse season at that volume? Michael Adams in 1990-91 when he shot 29.6% on 8.5 attempts a game.

So Kobe holds an 8.8% lead there.

He is EASILY having the worst, most inefficient volume shooting season in NBA history.

nickdymez
12-02-2015, 01:11 PM
Kobe is the only player since the start of the shot clock era (1960 onwards) to shoot as low a TS% whilst attempting his volume of shots.

40.4 TS% on 17.6 FGA

The next lowest TS% is a whopping 5% higher (Chris Webber in his injured 2003-04 campaign had a 45.6 TS%).

For FG%, there has only ever been 3 seasons where a player has shot below 38% on 17+ FGA per game. Kobe owns 2 of them and Jamal Mashburn the other.

Kobe's 30.1% is 7.8% worse than Jamal Mashburn's 37.9% in 1995-96 when he only played 18 games.

Kobe is shooting 7.6 threes a game and hitting at a 20.8% clip. The next worse season at that volume? Michael Adams in 1990-91 when he shot 29.6% on 8.5 attempts a game.

He is EASILY having the worst, most inefficient volume shooting season in NBA history.

No one cares though. I surely don't and I don't know many REAL Lakers fans that do. Clarkson, Randall, Russell, Nance, are all going to be there when Kobe leaves no matter what. They are ALL looking good as far as im concerned. Kobe can shoot 57 shots a night, it doesn't change anything what so ever with the future of the Lakers franchise. I'm actually starting to believe that they are telling Kobe to shoot this ridiculous amount of shots to tank.

cmellofan15
12-02-2015, 01:15 PM
Actually he is helping us land a top pick aka BEN SIMMONS!!

isn't this the excuse the last 3 years? sounds an awful lot like philly don't you think?

Tony_Starks
12-02-2015, 01:56 PM

40.4 TS% on 17.6 FGA

No one cares though. I surely don't and I don't know many REAL Lakers fans that do. Clarkson, Randall, Russell, Nance, are all going to be there when Kobe leaves no matter what. They are ALL looking good as far as im concerned. Kobe can shoot 57 shots a night, it doesn't change anything what so ever with the future of the Lakers franchise. I'm actually starting to believe that they are telling Kobe to shoot this ridiculous amount of shots to tank.

Pretty much. They can stat geek this season all they want but it is what it is. A farewell tour, year long scrimmage for the kids, and a shot at another top pick.

Jamiecballer
12-02-2015, 02:02 PM

he probably meant every time he didn't want to talk to a reporter, give an interview, encourage a teammate, do a public appearance, he thought "don't end up like this guy".

Hotone1401
12-02-2015, 02:22 PM
he probably meant every time he didn't want to talk to a reporter, give an interview, encourage a teammate, do a public appearance, he thought "don't end up like this guy".

All I long I thought it was due to Kobe's determination, relentlessness, dedication, and competitive fire. Silly me.

Hawkeye15
12-02-2015, 02:23 PM

I remember a lot of players who played with him in the Olympics raved at his work ethic, and it helped a few of them realize they needed to do the same if they wanted to reach their potential.

Scoots
12-02-2015, 02:33 PM
Rough watching Kobe hand Philly their first win.

I really hope the Lakers end up with the worst record and drop to the 4th pick in the lottery. How about we have Ben Simmons go to the Pelicans :)

FraziersKnicks
12-02-2015, 02:43 PM

Pretty much. They can stat geek this season all they want but it is what it is. A farewell tour, year long scrimmage for the kids, and a shot at another top pick.

But he's making a mockery of the game of basketball. Shooting that badly on that many shots is just embarrassing. I highly doubt this is how he wanted to go out but he refuses to give the young guys more looks and that's not gonna help them.

Are you telling me you wouldn't want Russell and Randle taking 3-4 more shots a game each and having the ball in their hands a little bit more to help their development, whilst Kobe takes a backseat and acts as a mentor like KG is in Minny?

Playing like this, Kobe is just reaffirming why so many people dislike him... His selfish, egomaniac playing style.

nickdymez
12-02-2015, 02:54 PM
But he's making a mockery of the game of basketball. Shooting that badly on that many shots is just embarrassing. I highly doubt this is how he wanted to go out but he refuses to give the young guys more looks and that's not gonna help them.

Are you telling me you wouldn't want Russell and Randle taking 3-4 more shots a game each and having the ball in their hands a little bit more to help their development, whilst Kobe takes a backseat and acts as a mentor like KG is in Minny?

Playing like this, Kobe is just reaffirming why so many people dislike him... His selfish, egomaniac playing style.
Your comments are familiar when it comes to kobe lately. People caring about things that doesn't matter to them. You mean to tell me that you care that kobe isn't "playing the game the right way"? Clarkson is the teams leading scorer and is shooting 50% from the field, I care about that. Randall is third in scoring but most importantly, first in rebounding with almost 9 a game, I care about that. Russell is starting to show excellent potential after a kind of disappointing start, I care about that.

I wish kobe would have went out a little better than this, but oh well. He is retiring after the season so it really doesn't matter.

5ass
12-02-2015, 03:06 PM

I thought he was going to have his most efficient season in his career?

FraziersKnicks
12-02-2015, 03:12 PM
Your comments are familiar when it comes to kobe lately. People caring about things that doesn't matter to them. You mean to tell me that you care that kobe isn't "playing the game the right way"? Clarkson is the teams leading scorer and is shooting 50% from the field, I care about that. Randall is third in scoring but most importantly, first in rebounding with almost 9 a game, I care about that. Russell is starting to show excellent potential after a kind of disappointing start, I care about that.

I wish kobe would have went out a little better than this, but oh well. He is retiring after the season so it really doesn't matter.

I'm just very surprised so many "real" Laker fans are happy to watch Kobe shoot so horribly and not let the young guys control the ball more. I was expecting a bit more leadership from Kobe this year considering he's been in the league 20 years.

nickdymez
12-02-2015, 03:16 PM
I'm just very surprised so many "real" Laker fans are happy to watch Kobe shoot so horribly and not let the young guys control the ball more. I was expecting a bit more leadership from Kobe this year considering he's been in the league 20 years.
Maybe other "real" kobe fans do, I don't. I look at big picture and I don't hate Kobe. Clarkson pretty much controls the ball the most of anyone on the team, kobe just shoots the most.

Tony_Starks
12-02-2015, 03:35 PM

Who says we're happy? At the end of the day whether he plays the game "the right way" or not the result is still going to be the same.

It doesn't please me one bit to watch Kobe black hole it, play 24hr fitness basketball, but I feel like he has more than earned the right to go out however he damn well pleases. Making it through this 20th season is a accomplishment in itself, even if he's going about it wrong.

This is a lost season, we're set for the post Kobe era and that's all that matters as a Laker fan.

Jamiecballer
12-02-2015, 04:38 PM
All I long I thought it was due to Kobe's determination, relentlessness, dedication, and competitive fire. Silly me.
I guess we will never know. Damn Durant and his cryptic messages!