PDA

View Full Version : Has Stephen Smith commented on his Kobe tirade from earlier this pre-season yet?

blahblahyoutoo
11-29-2015, 03:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUE6hmHWz5o

JEDean89
11-29-2015, 05:18 PM
Has anyone ever been more wrong about everything he says than Stephen A. Smith? Melo
100% leaving NY", LBJ going to LA, Porzingis is a disgrace... He only looks smart cause the dude next to him calls Tebow a "generational" QB.

Mr_Jones
11-29-2015, 05:24 PM
It's not like they're "experts" (like that even exists). They may as well be your uncle talking about sports.

JasonJohnHorn
11-29-2015, 07:02 PM
This is a guy who thinks AI was one of the greatest ever to play the game.

JasonJohnHorn
11-29-2015, 07:06 PM
Looking at that list, I think Anderson and Ariza should have actually been ranked above Koba at this point ;-)

That said.... SAS speaks with such conviction I almost believe it. lol

Scoots
11-30-2015, 12:50 PM
As much as I dislike SAS he's not a liar ... he's supposedly excellent at developing sources, but he can't know if his source is right.

Part of that developing sources is that he's going to support guys who have supported him in the past.

Rule #1 for whatever SAS is saying ... don't listen ... if you do listen just realize that it's a show not just for you but also for the people he wants to be sources for info in the future.

nickdymez
11-30-2015, 12:53 PM
This is a guy who thinks AI was one of the greatest ever to play the game.

lol, So you don't think AI is an all time great?

JasonJohnHorn
11-30-2015, 01:39 PM

No, and certainly not at the level that SAS holds him to. SAS thinks AI was one of the best to ever play the game.

AI was an underrated playmaker, and one of the best players ever at drawing a foul. He was also amazing a breaking guys down and getting past them. The problem was, he didn't finish well, he didn't shoot well, and he was a liability on defense. He also didn't know how to share the ball with other top tier players.

You may disagree with me; I know AI is a divisive player. You either love him, or think he's overrated. I think he is grossly overrated. I know players love him, because players know how hard it is to break a guy down defensively, and they see how easily AI can do that. I look at AI's FG%, and whether he finishes AFTER he's broken a guy down. He doesn't.

He is a shooting guard that can't shoot. In my eyes, he was more effective as a playmaker and as a point guard. He played with heart and he played with hussel, but you could tell he didn't trust teammates.

One of the greatest to ever play the game? I would say no. I wouldn't even have him in my top 50, and not even in the top ten at his position, depending on whether you call him a SG or a PG. I can think of 10 guys at each position that I'd rather start my team with.

I have respect for the skills that he had, but I also recognize that he was limited by his inability to see his own flaws. When the 76ers made it to the finals, people say he carried them. I watched almost every game they played (all the Toronto games and all the Lakers games, as well as some of the others), and though he did have big nights, especially against Toronto (Larry Brown coached that series expertly, as did Wilkens), I felt that the team went that far, not because of AI, but despite him. I know that's harsh, but at the end of the day, he was a high-volume shooter. Keep in mind, that guy took about 28 shots a game one year when he was shooting under .400. Thee were 4 guys on that team who had higher 3pt%'s than Iverson had, yet Iverson was the one taking 4+ 3s a game while they only combined for about 5. People say: He only had guys like Harpring, McKie and Snow.... yes... and they all shot higher percentages than Iverson in some seasons they played with him.

SAS does not see the flaws in Iverson's game. And there are plenty to see. When Iverson was looking for work, SAS was acting like he didn't understand what the issue was. It was clear. Iverson's was an inefficient scorer.

JAZZNC
11-30-2015, 01:42 PM
Absolutely not. That dude is ridiculously overrated. The guy played losing basketball, simple as that.

Cue the "AI was so tough" argument.

nickdymez
11-30-2015, 01:44 PM
I almost forgot the way the basketball heads think on PSD. Of course AI isn't an all time great NBA player.

BKLYNpigeon
11-30-2015, 01:51 PM
its ESPN, Its Sports ENTERTAINMENT News. Stephen A and Skip has to say Outlandish Comments that. They make no sense at all, and they get traction from it. Negative news is good news. (just like Donald Trump)

Thats why all of you pawns are discussing this on sports blogs. lol

JAZZNC
11-30-2015, 01:52 PM
No, and certainly not at the level that SAS holds him to. SAS thinks AI was one of the best to ever play the game.

AI was an underrated playmaker, and one of the best players ever at drawing a foul. He was also amazing a breaking guys down and getting past them. The problem was, he didn't finish well, he didn't shoot well, and he was a liability on defense. He also didn't know how to share the ball with other top tier players.

You may disagree with me; I know AI is a divisive player. You either love him, or think he's overrated. I think he is grossly overrated. I know players love him, because players know how hard it is to break a guy down defensively, and they see how easily AI can do that. I look at AI's FG%, and whether he finishes AFTER he's broken a guy down. He doesn't.

He is a shooting guard that can't shoot. In my eyes, he was more effective as a playmaker and as a point guard. He played with heart and he played with hussel, but you could tell he didn't trust teammates.

One of the greatest to ever play the game? I would say no. I wouldn't even have him in my top 50, and not even in the top ten at his position, depending on whether you call him a SG or a PG. I can think of 10 guys at each position that I'd rather start my team with.

I have respect for the skills that he had, but I also recognize that he was limited by his inability to see his own flaws. When the 76ers made it to the finals, people say he carried them. I watched almost every game they played (all the Toronto games and all the Lakers games, as well as some of the others), and though he did have big nights, especially against Toronto (Larry Brown coached that series expertly, as did Wilkens), I felt that the team went that far, not because of AI, but despite him. I know that's harsh, but at the end of the day, he was a high-volume shooter. Keep in mind, that guy took about 28 shots a game one year when he was shooting under .400. Thee were 4 guys on that team who had higher 3pt%'s than Iverson had FG%, yet Iverson was the one taking 4+ 3s a game while they only combined for about 5. People say: He only had guys like Harpring, McKie and Snow.... yes... and they all shot higher percentages than Iverson in some seasons they played with him.

SAS does not see the flaws in Iverson's game. And there are plenty to see. When Iverson was looking for work, SAS was acting like he didn't understand what the issue was. It was clear. Iverson's was an inefficient scorer.
JasonJohnHorn for the win! For me is is nowhere even close to top 50. Hell not even top 100 all time. He was probably one of the most disappointing players I have ever seen. Given his skill set he could have been one of the top few PGs to ever play but he was a complete moron that just didn't get what basketball was about. You wanna see something that defines AI go back and watch the Big East Championship game and see how he played hero ball and choked away an easy win as a much better/smarter player in Ray Allen led the comeback. All the while AI continued to miss shot after shot after shot after shot never once looking to his teammates. That's who he is and always was, a terrible teammate that refused to play the game the right way.

That's why at the end nobody wanted him around.

blahblahyoutoo
11-30-2015, 02:15 PM
As much as I dislike SAS he's not a liar ... he's supposedly excellent at developing sources, but he can't know if his source is right.

Part of that developing sources is that he's going to support guys who have supported him in the past.

Rule #1 for whatever SAS is saying ... don't listen ... if you do listen just realize that it's a show not just for you but also for the people he wants to be sources for info in the future.

this specific tirade wasn't about trade rumors or speculating on destinations. this was his personal opinion that Kobe was rated way too low by his employer/colleagues, and he said he wanted no part of it.

now he looks like a bumbling idiot (more than he already did) because kobe is actually far worse than 90th in the league. I wanted to see his sorry *** backpedal or apologize for how wrong he was.
skip is correct more often than SS is.

FlashBolt
11-30-2015, 02:33 PM
I almost forgot the way the basketball heads think on PSD. Of course AI isn't an all time great NBA player.

He isn't. When you dig down through the numbers, you'll see that the East was incredibly weak when AI was at his peak. Teams that were supposed to suck, sucked. It's why besides until Detroit actually became a part of the equation, most EC teams were getting destroyed in the Finals. People overrate how great his team was defensively and think because AI had plenty of steals, he was a great defensive player. That simply wasn't true, he was actually very bad at defense because he gambled often with steals. Look at the shot attempts AI took, his USG% rate, and the MPG. I'm surprised his numbers are that low considering the ball was in his hands for nearly 40% of his team's possessions. MPG with that kind of ballhogging is certainly going to garner big numbers and it's why LeBron's performance vs the GSW was a bit overrated. He did the best he could but that certainly wasn't one of his better Finals performances. AI was the same except, his team was built around him having the green light to do anything he wanted offensively while his team made up for it defensively. People say Westbrook reminds them of AI but that's far from the truth. Westbrook is what AI would be if AI was more efficient, a better rebounder, better defender, and taller. Way overrated, some of you swear he's a top 20 player.

Scoots
11-30-2015, 02:40 PM
this specific tirade wasn't about trade rumors or speculating on destinations. this was his personal opinion that Kobe was rated way too low by his employer/colleagues, and he said he wanted no part of it.

now he looks like a bumbling idiot (more than he already did) because kobe is actually far worse than 90th in the league. I wanted to see his sorry *** backpedal or apologize for how wrong he was.
skip is correct more often than SS is.

I know, my point was that he was defending Kobe because he wants Kobe to support/help him later. Not that it was actually his own actual opinion. SAS lives to develop sources and every time he defends players against "they" it's one more thing in his favor in the players mind. It (falsely) leaves the impression that while he is "media" he's not one of "those media" that are always out to take advantage of the players.

SAS knows that if he bad mouths certain players it gets him points with certain other players, and by supporting certain players he gets an in with their groups. If a player sees through his manipulations SAS figures they aren't going to do anything for him so they are fair game to be hammered for whatever happens. If you help SAS, then you can do no wrong.

FlashBolt
11-30-2015, 03:08 PM
I know, my point was that he was defending Kobe because he wants Kobe to support/help him later. Not that it was actually his own actual opinion. SAS lives to develop sources and every time he defends players against "they" it's one more thing in his favor in the players mind. It (falsely) leaves the impression that while he is "media" he's not one of "those media" that are always out to take advantage of the players.

SAS knows that if he bad mouths certain players it gets him points with certain other players, and by supporting certain players he gets an in with their groups. If a player sees through his manipulations SAS figures they aren't going to do anything for him so they are fair game to be hammered for whatever happens. If you help SAS, then you can do no wrong.

He's a joke. After that tirade over Durant, I've stopped listening to him. Sounded as if he was the boss of a mob or something... If Durant stopped playing, NBA news would break. If Stephen A. quit, only a few would truly care. Yet, he spoke as if he was a Godsend.. Dude should have stuck to doing what he does best, yell at Skip and brag about his Tom Ford shoes.

Scoots
11-30-2015, 03:22 PM
He's a joke. After that tirade over Durant, I've stopped listening to him. Sounded as if he was the boss of a mob or something... If Durant stopped playing, NBA news would break. If Stephen A. quit, only a few would truly care. Yet, he spoke as if he was a Godsend.. Dude should have stuck to doing what he does best, yell at Skip and brag about his Tom Ford shoes.

By all means ... nobody should be listening ... unfortunately he gets great ratings. We'd be done with him if people just stopped paying attention.

blahblahyoutoo
11-30-2015, 03:26 PM

gotcha, although I feel kobe is the type that would just tell SS to "**** off, ain't nobody got time fo that ****."
kobe doesn't suck up to anyone and certainly wouldn't care for those who suck up to him. not that i know him personally or anything but that's the vibe he gives off.

Scoots
11-30-2015, 04:21 PM
SAS may just be doing it so he can drop Kobe's name from time to time like they are buddies ... like he's done with AI's name.