PDA

View Full Version : At what point does Luke Walton get credit? What if he wins the Finals?

AllBall
11-28-2015, 04:39 PM
Steve Kerr gets all the credit and praise in the world, but Luke Walton and Mark Jackson get crapped on.

Steve Kerr meets up with players in the summer and moves AI to the bench and he's gets hailed as the greatest coach since Phil Jackson.

Yet Luke Walton steps in and has the best starting record in NBA history and all the TV announcers and the rest of the media keep giving credit to Kerr. But no one wanted to give Mark Jackson any credit when Steve Kerr stepped in. Something doesn't add up.

Even the NBA doesn't credit Walton with some of the wins on the record books, it's so odd.

If Walton wins a championship as head coach of the Warriors this season then what does that mean?

lamzoka
11-28-2015, 04:52 PM
Mark Jackson deserves 0 credit... Kerr is the reason why he won't get another coaching job. But these 17-0 record belongs to LW not Kerr.

lol, please
11-28-2015, 04:56 PM
Mark Jackson deserves 0 credit... Kerr is the reason why he won't get another coaching job. But these 17-0 record belongs to LW not Kerr.

Stop.

Walton is just doing what he should be doing, yes he deserves credit, but the credit for where the Warriors are today is shared by the following people: Lacob, Myers, West, Jackson, and Kerr. A collective effort. Obviously the team as well, for buying in, and producing.

J_M_B
11-28-2015, 05:00 PM
Steve Kerr should be back soon I heard, so Walton won't have the opportunity to reach the finals

and why should Jackson receive credit for what they're doing NOW? His offense underachieved, he had too much talent to be in the middle of the pack offensively. Kerr came in and moved away from Jackson's heavy isolation playbook(I'm sure a GS fan can be more detailed on this) and installed a system centered around spacing, ball movement, pace, etc .. And while Mark Jackson had a top defense, Kerr has kept them at an elite level on that end as well

jerellh528
11-28-2015, 05:02 PM
Walton might not be getting credit from fans or media. But I'm sure the gms are aware and his credit will come in the form of a head coaching job sooner rather than later.

likemystylez
11-28-2015, 05:03 PM
[QUOTE]Steve Kerr gets all the credit and praise in the world, but Luke Walton and Mark Jackson get crapped on.

I dont think Luke walton is getting crapped on. He is definitely getting noticed around the NBA right now.

Mark jackson on the other hand gets crapped on because he should have been winning 65+ games a year during his final 2 seasons, but he didnt play a team that talented to their strengths. They have the best passing line up in the league and he had them playing isolation basketball. That would be like not allowing deandre jordan inside the paint.

Then when jerry west (a brilliant basketball mind) tried to talk to mark jackson about moving the ball around- LOl he kicked him out of the gym. The fact that jackson set a goal of 50 wins for this team just showed he had no understanding of the talent level the warriors have.The goal shoulda been more like 70 wins

Yet Luke Walton steps in and has the best starting record in NBA history and all the TV announcers and the rest of the media keep giving credit to Kerr. But no one wanted to give Mark Jackson any credit when Steve Kerr stepped in. Something doesn't add up.

mark jackson took the same team and got bounced in the first round. Steve kerr showed more of an interest in winning and getting the most he could out of the talent he had.

Mark jackson was hired to tank in 2011-2012- that should tell you something.

Even the NBA doesn't credit Walton with some of the wins on the record books, it's so odd.

Thats how the league has been keeping win totals through out history. Walton isnt the first assistant to fill in and not get credit for the wins. Should they change the way they have been recording wins for walton just because the warriors are playing historically great basketball?

If Walton wins a championship as head coach of the Warriors this season then what does that mean?

Chances are it means he will have multiple teams interested in him as a head coach. This experience and the spotlight on the warriors is going to help basically everyone in the organization. To put it into perspective- if walton coaches the team for 2 months and they are still on target for the 70 win mark- he goes from an assistant coach who was atleast 4 or 5 yrs out from being considered for an interview to become a head coach to an assistant coach who will probably get a 5 yr deal with a min of 3 or 4 teams seriously interested in him at 35 yrs of age!!

lamzoka
11-28-2015, 05:07 PM
Stop.

Walton is just doing what he should be doing, yes he deserves credit, but the credit for where the Warriors are today is shared by the following people: Lacob, Myers, West, Jackson, and Kerr. A collective effort. Obviously the team as well, for buying in, and producing.

what are you talking about man? I'm simply talking about the coaching record. if you wanna talk about team success, obviously everyone deserve some type of credit. EXCEPT JACKSON

likemystylez
11-28-2015, 05:17 PM
Jackson showed what type of coach he is during his first season when he went 23-43. all the wins after that were because of bob myers getting all the talent on the team.

Great coaches can win no matter what talent level they have. a guy like pop can take a d league player like danny green, a washed up player like diaw, a complete scrub like baynes, and a small pg nobody wanted like patty mills and they could carry a team when the stars sat out. Great coaches get the most out of their talent- jackson was not that.

nickdymez
11-28-2015, 05:25 PM
Stop.

This

nickdymez
11-28-2015, 05:28 PM
Jackson showed what type of coach he is during his first season when he went 23-43. all the wins after that were because of bob myers getting all the talent on the team.

Great coaches can win no matter what talent level they have. a guy like pop can take a d league player like danny green, a washed up player like diaw, a complete scrub like baynes, and a small pg nobody wanted like patty mills and they could carry a team when the stars sat out. Great coaches get the most out of their talent- jackson was not that.

Please stop. You don't win in this league without talent. Using the Spurs as an example is terrible and ridiculous. That team has a culture created, a great one. Players go there and fall in line. Pop is responsible for the most part for that culture, but don't act like he can go to the sixers and make them contenders.

AllBall
11-28-2015, 05:47 PM

So is the consensus Luke Walton is a better coach then Mark Jackson?

and why should Jackson receive credit for what they're doing NOW?

What I'm saying is that by comparison, if you don't want to give Jackson credit when Kerr Stepped in, then you shouldn't give credit to Kerr when Walton stepped in.

Mark jackson on the other hand gets crapped on because he should have been winning 65+ games a year during his final 2 seasons, but he didnt play a team that talented to their strengths. They have the best passing line up in the league and he had them playing isolation basketball. That would be like not allowing deandre jordan inside the paint.

Then when jerry west (a brilliant basketball mind) tried to talk to mark jackson about moving the ball around- LOl he kicked him out of the gym. The fact that jackson set a goal of 50 wins for this team just showed he had no understanding of the talent level the warriors have.The goal shoulda been more like 70 wins

Jackson was getting hated on at this time last year, before Kerr was able to complete a 60+ win season. Also, for anyone to seriously set the bar at 70 wins when no team has hit that since Jordan would have been laughable.

mark jackson took the same team and got bounced in the first round. Steve kerr showed more of an interest in winning and getting the most he could out of the talent he had.

Mark jackson was hired to tank in 2011-2012- that should tell you something.

That was an injury filled season. I don't think another coach would have been able to make much of a difference in the same spot.

Thats how the league has been keeping win totals through out history. Walton isnt the first assistant to fill in and not get credit for the wins. Should they change the way they have been recording wins for walton just because the warriors are playing historically great basketball?

They should go back and revise it for all the coaches that were put in this position.

Bostonjorge
11-28-2015, 06:03 PM
Walton is running Kerr's scheme and philosophy's. Walton is proving he can be a head coach tho and I believe a team will give a chance as soon as next year.

BKLYNpigeon
11-28-2015, 07:16 PM
NBA is changing the rule so they can award the Wins to Walton. its not that big of a deal.

Walton does not get crapped on, he's actually getting a lot of praise from everyone and will probably get some interviews next season for a Head Coaching position.

Warriors expect Kerr will be back before the end of the year.

JasonJohnHorn
11-28-2015, 08:58 PM
Well... last year at this point people were talking about how much better Kerr was than Jackson; no reason to not give Walton credit for what he is doing after the same length of time.

He is having an impact. Coaching might seem less important when you blow teams out by 20, but keeping guys motivated and on point can actually be even harder in situations like that. Guys tend to play fast and loose when they are up by 20; he's keeping them up focused.

He deserves as much credit for the improved level of play as Kerr deserved last year at the same time.

That said, this, like last year, is a lot to do with young players getting better. Barnes and Green are both better than ever, as is Curry.

Still... were Kerr to miss the rest of the season, it looks like the Warriors would be in good hands and Walton would be a lock for COY.

Hey, what other coach ever won his first 17 games?

AstonMartin34
11-29-2015, 09:19 AM
All that matters is that Walton will definitely be a head coach in the near future. This is helping build his experience and other teams will take notice when hiring new coach, he will be the front runner.

Mr. Baller
11-29-2015, 09:38 AM
Its two completely different things. Kerr isn't running Jackson's schemes, while Walton is running Kerr's schemes. Although Walton has gotten plenty of credit and deservedly so

KnicksorBust
11-29-2015, 10:43 AM
Its two completely different things. Kerr isn't running Jackson's schemes, while Walton is running Kerr's schemes. Although Walton has gotten plenty of credit and deservedly so

This. My guess is Walton will be a nice hire next year but he is a cog on big machine and unless people can actually pinpoint great strategic moves he is making then the bulk of the credit still goes to Kerr. Let's call it like it is, Curry is unstoppable and they are blowing people out with depth and chemistry.

nycericanguy
11-29-2015, 10:59 AM
Funny how things work out, I wonder what people would think of kerr had he taken the Knicks job?

likemystylez
11-29-2015, 11:29 AM
This. My guess is Walton will be a nice hire next year but he is a cog on big machine and unless people can actually pinpoint great strategic moves he is making then the bulk of the credit still goes to Kerr. Let's call it like it is, Curry is unstoppable and they are blowing people out with depth and chemistry.

yknow... a lot of people thought alvin gentry was going to be a great hire for the pelicans.....I heard some people even saying the pelicans could be a top 4 team in the west this season.

TrueFan420
11-29-2015, 12:01 PM
yknow... a lot of people thought alvin gentry was going to be a great hire for the pelicans.....I heard some people even saying the pelicans could be a top 4 team in the west this season.

Eh gentry to me is a fantastic assistant but not a great HC. I'm not sure who his coaching staff there is and that definitely plays a role in it. But that team should be much better than it is.

JasonJohnHorn
11-29-2015, 01:31 PM
Funny how things work out, I wonder what people would think of kerr had he taken the Knicks job?

I think the Knicks would have been considerably better under Kerr. And I think the loss of Melo would have allowed him to really develop or use other players.

BKLYNpigeon
11-29-2015, 02:04 PM
Eh gentry to me is a fantastic assistant but not a great HC. I'm not sure who his coaching staff there is and that definitely plays a role in it. But that team should be much better than it is.

Thats completely incorrect. Nobody expected The Pelicans to be a top 4 team, They just expected AD to be an MVP candidate. If you look at their record, they were barely a .500 team last season. Alvin Gentry inherited a team that cannot run his system and Half of them are Injured.

TrueFan420
11-29-2015, 02:48 PM
Thats completely incorrect. Nobody expected The Pelicans to be a top 4 team, They just expected AD to be an MVP candidate. If you look at their record, they were barely a .500 team last season. Alvin Gentry inherited a team that cannot run his system and Half of them are Injured.

I'll vemo you $20 right now if you can point to anywhere where I said or even implied they'd be top 4. I didn't expect their standings to change too much they are around a .500 level squad with the way their peices are assembled. Not to say they don't have the talent just it doesn't fit together. A few moves and they'd be much improved on their should have been .500 status. However, I did expect them to be much then they are. They're freaking 4-13. Two games better than the freaking lakers. Come on. They should be much much better than that so far.

Scoots
11-30-2015, 01:00 PM
Walton is doing a good job, but Kerr is talking to him every day and is meeting with the team regularly too.

If we are going to go back to Jackson and give him credit for the current Warriors results, then Cohan (horrible owner that he was) also deserves credit, as does Nellie. Should we keep going and credit Wilt for setting all those Warriors records for Curry to aim for?

nastynice
11-30-2015, 01:46 PM
The difference between the amount of credit kerr got last yr vs walton this yr is because Kerr deserved more last yr because he installed a new system, and that system had the warriors looking better and more dangerous than ever. This yr, walton is just running the same exact system/game plan, I'm also under the impression he's basically doing what Kerr tells him to. This isn't to say Walton doesn't deserve any credit, he certainly does, at the end of the day he is the one on that sideline with the "coach" title and he's doing a phenomenal job, but he's not doing it on his own, he's doing it with the guidance of Kerr. That's why there's such a difference in how Kerr and Walton are being given credit in their respective first year coaching.

nastynice
11-30-2015, 01:47 PM
Walton is doing a good job, but Kerr is talking to him every day and is meeting with the team regularly too.

Yes, this is exactly what I had heard too, I think it was Walton himself who was saying that he's just basically doing what Kerr is telling him to. He still deserves credit, but just not to the degree Kerr did last year since last year our gameplanning underwent a major overhaul.

Jenceman
11-30-2015, 07:36 PM
I can only pray that the Lakers fire Byron Scott after the season and bring in Luke Walton.

AllBall
11-30-2015, 09:26 PM
The difference between the amount of credit kerr got last yr vs walton this yr is because Kerr deserved more last yr because he installed a new system, and that system had the warriors looking better and more dangerous than ever. This yr, walton is just running the same exact system/game plan, I'm also under the impression he's basically doing what Kerr tells him to. This isn't to say Walton doesn't deserve any credit, he certainly does, at the end of the day he is the one on that sideline with the "coach" title and he's doing a phenomenal job, but he's not doing it on his own, he's doing it with the guidance of Kerr. That's why there's such a difference in how Kerr and Walton are being given credit in their respective first year coaching.

I think that's BS. I don't see Walton pulling out a cellphone calling Kerr during the games. I don't' see him looking through a Steve Kerr playbook deciding what to do. Plenty of coaches have studied others systems and have been unable to execute them, much less do it in 17-0, blow out fashion.

Scoots
12-01-2015, 12:43 PM
I think that's BS. I don't see Walton pulling out a cellphone calling Kerr during the games. I don't' see him looking through a Steve Kerr playbook deciding what to do. Plenty of coaches have studied others systems and have been unable to execute them, much less do it in 17-0, blow out fashion.

And which of Walton's assistant coaches (who are heavily involved in running the game from the bench) were hired by Walton?

Walton is doing a good job, but what he's doing cannot be reasonably compared to what Kerr did last year.

tredigs
12-01-2015, 01:11 PM
He'll get the coach of the month award later today, and I do think people are giving him credit (probably too much, realistically). He got to inherit the NBA Champions, he has a player in Curry who is playing some of the best basketball ... ever, and the actual coach is at the vast majority of the practices. I don't know what actual capabilities he has as a HC behind the scenes in setting up overall offensive/defensive schemes, but he's got the right temperament to lead a team that already has an established framework via Kerr and co. Seems to be doing a good job.

Tony_Starks
12-01-2015, 01:18 PM
Better question: at what point does Mark Jackson get credit?

Vinylman
12-01-2015, 03:29 PM
I think the Knicks would have been considerably better under Kerr. And I think the loss of Melo would have allowed him to really develop or use other players.

what other players? :confused:

Scoots
12-01-2015, 03:56 PM
Better question: at what point does Mark Jackson get credit?

Jackson took it for himself while doing color for games last year. He doesn't need any more.

tredigs
12-01-2015, 04:02 PM
Jackson took it for himself while doing color for games last year. He doesn't need any more.

Lol exactly what I was thinking. Mark Jackson will be the first person to point out how great of a job Mark Jackson did in Golden State.

AllBall
12-01-2015, 08:49 PM
And which of Walton's assistant coaches (who are heavily involved in running the game from the bench) were hired by Walton.

This isn't the NFL. When a new head coach comes in the existing staff does not get automatically canned.

BKLYNpigeon
12-01-2015, 09:22 PM
Luke Walton first coach to win Coach of the Month with no wins technically. lol

Scoots
12-02-2015, 04:30 PM
This isn't the NFL. When a new head coach comes in the existing staff does not get automatically canned.

Right ... not automatically, but they certainly are traditionally ... if it's a new hire. So those coaches who were hired by Kerr and who are game planning and running the game from the bench are all being a credit to Kerr. Walton is doing the job of an interim coach and doing it very well ... but he's also living off what Kerr built.