PDA

View Full Version : How 'bout dem Pacers?

JasonJohnHorn
11-27-2015, 11:18 PM
I think for me, the biggest surprise of the first month and a half of basketball, aside from two record-breaking streaks going on at the same time, has been the Pacers, at least in terms of who is performing well (there are several teams who are surprisingly playing very poorly).

Last year the Pacers secured 38 wins, and while the return of Paul George is reason enough to think they might pull off enough wins to finish over .500, I was personally doubtful that they would swing that, especially with the loss of Roy Hibbert, David West, and Louis Scola.

Four or five years ago, with Danny Granger, Lance Stephenson, Paul George and Roy Hibbert, the Pacers were a team with some great young pieces. But then they lost Granger to injury, Stephenson to free agency, and Hibbert via trade, and this year all they were getting back was a late lottery pick and a Paul George who was coming back from a severe injury. I thought for sure this team was headed into the lottery, but they've been playing really well. The acquisition of Ellis worked out fairly well, as is Jordan Hill. Budinger has proven to be a shrewd pick up, and their rookie center is a decent shot blocker.

Anybody else surprised by this? Or have any explanation for it?

IndyRealist
11-27-2015, 11:41 PM
Nope. No explanation at all. I fully expected them to be sub .500 once they replaced their starting frontcourt. CJ Miles is playing 10x better than he has at any other point in his career. Along with Miles, Rodney Stuckey, Ian Mahimni, Chase Budinger, Glenn Robinson III, and Jordan Hill are all having career years so far. Monta looks better statistically than he has since the pre-moped days.

Vee-Rex
11-28-2015, 12:20 AM
I was like the only one hyping the Pacers all year, before the season started. Pacers are gonna be 2nd or 3rd seed and a contender. Believe it.

Corey
11-28-2015, 12:33 AM
Paul George is doing Paul George things.

They're just going to be a regular season team until they get another really legit player, though.

I've always liked Monta more than most, but he's too much of a focal point for them to be real contenders.

George Hill and CJ Miles are playing way better than they will for an entire season. They'll come down to earth.

Kyben36
11-28-2015, 01:10 AM
too early, but to me, they are going to be beat come playoff time, you can play like this regular season, its hard to win like it post season,

JasonJohnHorn
11-29-2015, 01:26 PM
too early, but to me, they are going to be beat come playoff time, you can play like this regular season, its hard to win like it post season,

Kinda like the Raptors last year? And this?

Vee-Rex
11-29-2015, 01:42 PM
Dudes don't even factor in the fact that their chemistry is nowhere near where it'll be come playoff time.

Pacers are for real.

JEDean89
11-30-2015, 02:48 AM
They play great ball, and PG is as good as we've seen him. I think they are more balanced than people are giving credit and that they will continue this play.

Wrigheyes4MVP
11-30-2015, 06:38 PM
It's not that unexpected. They got PG back and got rid of Hibbert the waste. They still can't contend with Cleveland or anything, but it's not too unexpected what they are doing right now. I thought they'd be a playoff team in the East this year. They are doing a bit better than expected, but nothing outlandish. They were underrated going into the season. The 3 best teams in the East are in the Central and the top team is clearly going back to the finals barring major injury to one specific player. There is still not Eastern team to really challenge the Cavs and that's a bit dissappointing.

The biggest surprise though to me is Charlotte. That team is playing really well and it might be sustainable.

Vee-Rex
11-30-2015, 07:04 PM
It's not that unexpected. They got PG back and got rid of Hibbert the waste. They still can't contend with Cleveland or anything, but it's not too unexpected what they are doing right now. I thought they'd be a playoff team in the East this year. They are doing a bit better than expected, but nothing outlandish. They were underrated going into the season. The 3 best teams in the East are in the Central and the top team is clearly going back to the finals barring major injury to one specific player. There is still not Eastern team to really challenge the Cavs and that's a bit dissappointing.

The biggest surprise though to me is Charlotte. That team is playing really well and it might be sustainable.

I'm not surprised at all, but I do think they could potentially contend with Cleveland. Their style of basketball is a weakness of ours.

1. They play gritty, lock-down defense.
2. They excel as passing.
3. They have the superstar talent (PG) to score at a whim, or in spite of situations where the defense was flawless.

They played us TOUGH last year in the regular season. I believe we split the series 2-2 and they were close to making the playoffs.

Yes, I know they don't have Hibbert + West but Hibbert blows. The loss of West alone isn't going to make them terrible when they've added a healthy PG, Monta Ellis, Chase Budinger, and are developing their young big men.

Prior to the season people even had them as bottom dwellers, or said they won't make the playoffs.

They're like the Bulls with better passing and more reliable superstar scoring. Yeah, people on this site might laugh at the comparison but that's because they're prisoners of the moment and forget how talented the Pacers were before PG's season-ending injury.

Just like how I called the Hawks frauds last year, I'm saying the Pacers are the truth. :D

IndyRealist
11-30-2015, 09:25 PM
Pacers have picked up the pace (9th), scoring (11th), and the defense is still holding (3rd). If you ignore their 0-3 start....