PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 Centers in the league?

WaDe03
11-26-2015, 08:06 PM
List your top 3 centers in the league in order.

1.Cousins
2.Drummond
3.Whiteside

Hard for me to choose between Drummond and Whiteside for the 2nd spot but Drummond won round 1 last night so I'll give him the spot for right now. Whiteside is so much better defensively though. Drummond is the better rebounder. Crazy to think Whiteside came out of nowhere and when I put him in my top 5 last year as a joke I was getting bashed but this year I realistically think he's top 3. Drummond I didn't think would be this good at 22 but having Monroe gone has done wonders for him.

FraziersKnicks
11-26-2015, 08:42 PM
1. Cousins
2. Gasol
3. Drummond

KnicksorBust
11-26-2015, 09:00 PM
#1.) Andre Drummond
#2.) Hassan Whiteside
#3.) Al Horford

Honorable mention: Marc Gasol - Tim Duncan

MonroeFAN
11-26-2015, 09:06 PM
1/2 Drummond / whiteside
3. gasol

With cousins not being a center. Otherwise

1. Cousins
2/3. Drummond / Whiteside

Indicating that 1/2 or 2/3 are a split in either scenario. I'll be biased and go Drummond, but Whiteside is a solid choice.

WaDe03
11-26-2015, 09:30 PM
1/2 Drummond / whiteside
3. gasol

With cousins not being a center. Otherwise

1. Cousins
2/3. Drummond / Whiteside

Indicating that 1/2 or 2/3 are a split in either scenario. I'll be biased and go Drummond, but Whiteside is a solid choice.

Forgot Cousins is playing PF. I definitely view him as a center though. Kind of like Duncan playing center for awhile but he's considered a PF.

tsubibo
11-26-2015, 10:32 PM
So Howard is not a top 3 center anymore?

JWO35
11-26-2015, 10:38 PM
So Howard is not a top 3 center anymore?

No

tredigs
11-26-2015, 11:20 PM
Why wouldn't Howard still be above Whiteside? He was better in the WC Playoffs last season than anything I've seen from Hassan.

Kashmir13579
11-26-2015, 11:25 PM
Kristaps?

WaDe03
11-27-2015, 12:25 AM
Why wouldn't Howard still be above Whiteside? He was better in the WC Playoffs last season than anything I've seen from Hassan.

What has Howard done this year? Not to mention their team is terrible.

WaDe03
11-27-2015, 12:26 AM
Whiteside averages 15-11-5 leads the league in blocks by basically 2 a game which is a huge margin. Also 2nd in the league in field goal percentage. What makes Howard better than that?

tredigs
11-27-2015, 12:43 AM
What makes what Whiteside is doing better than Howard a few months ago against better comp than Whiteside has ever gone through? I'm not too worried about the 15 game sample size when we know Howard can turn it up.

Bottom line, I don't trust Whiteside yet. Zero playmaking ability, no shooting ability, and a defensive game that is being massively overblown due to his block #'s. DPOY talk? Not buying it.

Blink
11-27-2015, 12:43 AM
As a Pistons fan Marc Gasol isnt getting enough love.

Not a center in the league (healthy dwight howard aside) that can contribute what he does offensively and defensively.

Of course discounting Cousins.

TrueFan420
11-27-2015, 01:05 AM
I'm taking Gasol over anybody at Center boogie included

Sadds The Gr8
11-27-2015, 01:14 AM
#1.) Andre Drummond
#2.) Hassan Whiteside
#3.) Al Horford

Honorable mention: Marc Gasol - Tim Duncan

Boogie?????

HandsOnTheWheel
11-27-2015, 01:18 AM
What makes what Whiteside is doing better than Howard a few months ago against better comp than Whiteside has ever gone through? I'm not too worried about the 15 game sample size when we know Howard can turn it up.

Bottom line, I don't trust Whiteside yet. Zero playmaking ability, no shooting ability, and a defensive game that is being massively overblown due to his block #'s. DPOY talk? Not buying it.

Out of curiosity, who are your top 3 centers?

tredigs
11-27-2015, 01:35 AM
Out of curiosity, who are your top 3 centers?

Cousins/Howard/Gasol in some order with Drummond, Gobert and Whiteside rising behind.

Dade County
11-27-2015, 01:43 AM
Boogie?????

Drummond (Stan system really favors athletic centers)
Whiteside (HEAT doesn’t feature Whiteside offensively)
Marc Gasol/Howard (when he is actually playing good)

Boogie isn’t really playing Center… Sac fans, let us know is Cousins really playing center?

I think people are basing it off of this season more then past performance.

And how could you say "better comp than Whiteside has ever gone through?"... That doesn't make sense, Whiteside didn't start playing this season, he has played against every team in the league by now (he joined Miami around last year late Nov).

Whiteside has more offensive skill then Howard. Better mid range shot, back to the basket game and finishing moves (not saying Whiteside skill level is all world or anything like that lol).

Whiteside still needs work, but when he is on, he's a force.

WaDe03
11-27-2015, 02:02 AM

Whiteside has a decent mid range game. So he has some shooting ability. Delights done absolutely nothing this season though. Whiteside has easily been the better player so far.

tredigs
11-27-2015, 02:20 AM
@Dade, by better comp I mean going against premier defensive centers and elite teams in playoff situations where they are being game planned for. DJ and the Clips, Draymond + Bogut and the Warriors, etc. Hassan has not faced near that level of adversity yet.
@WaDe, I'll give him a decent "short" mid-range. But he can't stretch the floor and he's a pretty poor foul shooter as well (all too common, but some bigs do have it). Couple that with the complete lack of playmaking ability I mentioned and he's just super predictable offensively, which will be easy to game plan against in the playoffs.

Sadds The Gr8
11-27-2015, 02:21 AM

Boogie isn’t really playing Center… Sac fans, let us know is Cousins really playing center?

And how could you say "better comp than Whiteside has ever gone through?"... That doesn't make sense, Whiteside didn't start playing this season, he has played against every team in the league by now (he joined Miami around last year late Nov).

Whiteside has more offensive skill then Howard. Better mid range shot, back to the basket game and finishing moves (not saying Whiteside skill level is all world or anything like that lol).

I still consider him a C cuz that's what his real position is.

Hes played both spots this year

FraziersKnicks
11-27-2015, 02:55 AM
Interesting stat:

Hassan Whiteside has 4 assists this season... Marc Gasol averages 4.2 assists per game.

WaDe03
11-27-2015, 03:07 AM
Whiteside has blocked more shots this season than half the teams in the NBA.

JLynn943
11-27-2015, 03:27 AM

Cousins is playing center. It doesn't mean he's always camping around the paint, but that's the position he's playing.

Scoots
11-27-2015, 03:58 AM
Cousins
Gasol
Drummond

ewing
11-27-2015, 10:09 AM
Gasol
Duncan
Whiteside

- iWhiteside is making me more of a believer this year. I thought some his numbers were a little empty but i have been trying to follow the Heat this year and he is impressive

I also have to see more of Drummond and Gobert

I find it interesting that you guy really just go off two weeks of stats like they mean so much. If i asked you to start a team today to win a 7 game series in 6 months do you all still take Cousins first? I mean it seems about a 50/50 shot that he is going to blow up your team in those 6 months right now

Gander13SM
11-27-2015, 10:39 AM
Cousins
Gasol
Drummond

Took the words straight out my mouth... or from my finger tips. Whatever.

LakersIn5
11-27-2015, 03:08 PM
Gasol
Duncan
Whiteside

- iWhiteside is making me more of a believer this year. I thought some his numbers were a little empty but i have been trying to follow the Heat this year and he is impressive

I also have to see more of Drummond and Gobert

I find it interesting that you guy really just go off two weeks of stats like they mean so much. If i asked you to start a team today to win a 7 game series in 6 months do you all still take Cousins first? I mean it seems about a 50/50 shot that he is going to blow up your team in those 6 months right now

And yet you take whitside. Lol

Cousins
Drummond
Dwight
Marc

ewing
11-27-2015, 03:42 PM
And yet you take whitside. Lol

Cousins
Drummond
Dwight
Marc

50 games last year plus the start of this season. I admit he might not be 3rd other guys are new to being impact player too and i haven't seen them as much- guys like Drummond. Whiteside is an impact player defensively though.

MonroeFAN
11-27-2015, 09:02 PM
^wut?

ewing
11-28-2015, 02:20 AM
^wut?

wut wut?

FlashBolt
11-28-2015, 02:35 AM
Marc Gasol.. lol... Dwight Howard? PLEASE. These two are way past their primes. Marc Gasol would have been a definite answer a year ago but he's playing terrible this season. Numbers down from across the board and he hasn't been defending much as well. His team is terrible defensively and he's not very good at rebounding. Cousins/Drummond/Whiteside are easily top five right now in terms of performance. I'd put Duncan there because he's still ranked as the best defender at that position but not enough production elsewhere, though, efficient. Howard doesn't play, when he does, he can't hit Ft's, no longer a defensive behemoth, still can't score the ball, and you can't trust him at all. Seriously, what can he do these days? Cousins is the best scoring big man in the game, great rebounder. Hard to not put him at top 3. Whiteside blocks 5 shots per game in under 30 minutes, he's very efficient on the floor, great rebounder. I don't trust him at all but who the hell do you put above him right now? Howard? Gasol? Based off what exactly? Drummond is a no-brainer. 18 points/18 rebounds per game is impossible to leave out. Imagine if this guy had Whiteside's blocking ability.. game over.

tredigs
11-28-2015, 03:13 AM
The shooting efficiency for Drummond is terrible, and that's without any floor stretching ability. Legendarily poor FT shooter, absolutely no playmaking ability and still inconsistent defensively. It's very far from open/shut that he's passed the likes of Howard or Marc Gasol. They both have significant advantages over him at their best. Which, they are not currently at, but were both very good very recently, and neither are particularly old. I'll need at least through this season to buy that they've been passed by a Drummond or Whiteside. Hopefully we can see both in the playoffs this year. Doesn't look too great in Drummond's case though. That team is struggling mightily after the hot start.

mrblisterdundee
11-28-2015, 04:52 AM
1. Hassan Whiteside: He's the shot-blocking king. Among he, Cousins, Drummond, Jordan, Horford and Gasol, Whiteside has the most win shares, the highest PER and the second-lowest usage rate.
2. DeMarcus Cousins: He's the dominant head case who defeats all in the post and shoots 38 percent from three-point land. You know he could play decent defense if he wanted — he's big and mobile — but he's such a drama queen.
3. Andre Drummond: He's Stan Van Gundy's new Dwight Howard clone. He's slightly ahead of where Howard was at 22, albeit behind offensively and nearly as bad at shooting free throws as Jordan.

mrblisterdundee
11-28-2015, 04:56 AM

Yeah; defensive player of the year will be a wing who can defend the most positions. Kawhi Leonard and Draymond Green seem like a lock to keep battling for the honor.

5ass
11-28-2015, 05:54 AM
1. Hassan Whiteside: He's the shot-blocking king. Among he, Cousins, Drummond, Jordan, Horford and Gasol, Whiteside has the most win shares, the highest PER and the second-lowest usage rate.
2. DeMarcus Cousins: He's the dominant head case who defeats all in the post and shoots 38 percent from three-point land. You know he could play decent defense if he wanted — he's big and mobile — but he's such a drama queen.
3. Andre Drummond: He's Stan Van Gundy's new Dwight Howard clone. He's slightly ahead of where Howard was at 22, albeit behind offensively and nearly as bad at shooting free throws as Jordan.

Not true IMO. Dwight was way more efficient offensively, and much better defensively.

Badluck33
11-28-2015, 08:12 AM
1. Lebron
2. Lebron
3. Lebron

Honorable mention: Lebron

JasonJohnHorn
11-28-2015, 09:06 PM
Whiteside getting 4.8 blocks (and 6 per36) on 2.5 fouls... that is some Hakeem/DRob $#!IT going on there! VERY IMPRESSIVE.

Solid 15/11 to boot? That's good enough in my book for top three right now.

DMC (as a 'PF' or 'C' is a 'C'), so he's in there to.

And Drummond eating up all the rebounds.

That said, Gasol AND Gasol as both playing well, and Horford is amazing. Those three are likely the most skilled C's in the league on both ends of the court outside of Duncan. Skill counts for a lot to me. So if you asked me who the 'best' was, I'd be inclined to want to pick one of those guys. But raw impact and stats? It's hard not to put Drummond up there for rebounding, Whiteside up their for blocks, and DMC up there for scoring.

mrblisterdundee
11-29-2015, 12:45 AM
Not true IMO. Dwight was way more efficient offensively, and much better defensively.

I'm comparing the two through their first three seasons in the league. And let's keep in mind, Howard had a better team, didn't have to play next to another top-tier center and had Coach Stan Van Gundy, who's known for building around and maximizing dominant centers . Through their first three full seasons, Drummond has a higher rate of win shares per 48 minutes, and a lower usage rate on a crappier team.
Drummond and Howard scored the same points per 36 minutes and had the same number of offensive win shares. Drummond shot better from the field. A big difference was the free throw line, where Howard shot more than 20 percent better, while trying two more per game. I wouldn't say Howard was any better offensively, except at the free throw line.
Howard had more defensive win shares. Drummond had more blocks, steals and rebounds. Howard got selected to the all-NBA defensive second team for the first time in his third year; Drummond got one vote for the second team.
Maybe I was a little overzealous, but Howard started out in a better situation than Drummond, who's nonetheless outproduced Howard while playing a lesser role until this season. Now we're finally seeing what Drummond can really do.

Thumper 88
11-30-2015, 10:47 AM
He's not top 3 but definitely top 10 and that's zaza. He's having a great year

Scoots
11-30-2015, 11:56 AM
It seems to me the current crop of Cs and SGs are the weakest we've had in decades. Some young talent coming up though.

Wrigheyes4MVP
11-30-2015, 06:46 PM
Cousins is averaging 28 and 11 and shooting 38% from 3pt. Hard not to have him topping the list. The Kings suck with Cousins, but they suck way worse without him. Like they suck so bad without him that they can barely win a game.

Wrigheyes4MVP
11-30-2015, 06:53 PM

Dudes been underrated for years

Wrigheyes4MVP
11-30-2015, 06:54 PM
It seems to me the current crop of Cs and SGs are the weakest we've had in decades. Some young talent coming up though.

I actually feel like it's been improving, but the league has been changing to a more perimeter oriented game. You need to shoot the 3 ball in order to win these days.

JasonJohnHorn
11-30-2015, 07:56 PM

Way to show love to Zaza. I've always liked that guy.

AllBall
11-30-2015, 10:56 PM
1. Cousins
2. Drummond
3. Whiteside

Demon11
12-01-2015, 04:37 AM
Not many teams will be able to take down the Kings when they have a sizable lead going into the third. With the number 1 pace and Demarcus eating your front court alive. It is a big task that will leave your big men in the tub for hours after the game.

ewing
12-01-2015, 11:20 AM
Not many teams will be able to take down the Kings when they have a sizable lead going into the third. With the number 1 pace and Demarcus eating your front court alive. It is a big task that will leave your big men in the tub for hours after the game.

just need to get up 20 by the half every game

MonroeFAN
12-02-2015, 08:50 AM
The shooting efficiency for Drummond is terrible, and that's without any floor stretching ability. Legendarily poor FT shooter, absolutely no playmaking ability and still inconsistent defensively. It's very far from open/shut that he's passed the likes of Howard or Marc Gasol. They both have significant advantages over him at their best. Which, they are not currently at, but were both very good very recently, and neither are particularly old. I'll need at least through this season to buy that they've been passed by a Drummond or Whiteside. Hopefully we can see both in the playoffs this year. Doesn't look too great in Drummond's case though. That team is struggling mightily after the hot start.

I wouldn't say we are struggling mightily. Expecting us to win 50 games after going 5-23 last season was kind of outrageous although it could still happen. We've had some key wins and blew Houston out the other day (not that it's that difficult). I don't expect people who haven't watched every game Drummond has played to acknowledge this as it doesn't really show up in the numbers, but his touch is 100x better than it was this time last season. I wouldn't count on him being a poor 2PT% guy for very much longer. His FT's, meh. Dude is to stubborn to change.

He had his way with Dwight. But it's easy to say that looking back.

MonroeFAN
12-02-2015, 08:56 AM
wut wut?

Are we just supposed to ignore you referencing sample size for Drummond, and not Whiteside who has like 100 career games played?

That post was nonsense dude.

Thumper 88
12-02-2015, 09:26 AM
Zaza had a double double before half time. Second most in the league.

ewing
12-02-2015, 09:44 AM
Are we just supposed to ignore you referencing sample size for Drummond, and not Whiteside who has like 100 career games played?

That post was nonsense dude.

I said i hadn't watched enough of Drummond. meaning i wasn't confident putting him up there so soon b/c i hadn't seen it myself. I haven't watched as many of his games, sorry.

MonroeFAN
12-02-2015, 05:04 PM
No problem, sorry for being a moody *** wipe.

5ass
12-02-2015, 05:39 PM
Zaza had a double double before half time. Second most in the league.

Zaza is one of the most underrated players in the NBA, but he's nowhere near top 3. Top 10 maybe.

Hawkeye15
12-02-2015, 06:23 PM
Pekovic

oh wait, he has been nursing a vagina injury for 14 months now

Scoots
12-03-2015, 01:33 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/14269077/golden-state-warriors-draymond-green-best-center-nba

Kevin Pelton is a little crazy, but it's interesting none the less.

Legitimate
12-03-2015, 11:19 PM
this

flea
12-03-2015, 11:47 PM
Now that Duncan is a fulltime center, I'm not sure there are 3 I'd take over him. Certainly not one-way guys or perpetual losers like Cousins. Sure a lot of centers do more regular season work, but in a posteason or on a pure skill level I wouldn't take Whiteside over Duncan ever.

Heard Reggie Miller comparing Kobe's 31 point game with what Duncan has been doing the last few years, LMAO. Dude is so clueless and one of the worst announcers we've got. Kobe is easily a bottom 5 starting SF, while Duncan is an easy top 10 C - most would even agree top 5. Hell there are probably 30 bench wings better than Kobe this year. Duncan is scoring in ISO situations on one of the best defenders at the C position (Gasol) as we speak, plus he's still a defensive monster. Reggie Miller please go.

kingsdelez24
12-04-2015, 02:56 AM
Pekovic

oh wait, he has been nursing a vagina injury for 14 months now

He'll probably be back in the discussion for best offensive center in the league when hes back and eventually traded. Its probably hard for a near 300 pound brute to recover from achilles surgery compared to a Wesley Matthews build.

Shaq straight up retired when he was told he had 9 months of rehab for a similar surgery I believe