PDA

View Full Version : Jahlil Okafor KOs Boston Man in Street Fight

warfelg
11-26-2015, 04:09 PM
https://twitter.com/tmz/status/669966871857205248

Sigh....being a Sixers fan keeps getting better!

But hey. Now we got a win.

lamzoka
11-26-2015, 04:12 PM
Lawsuit.

tredigs
11-26-2015, 04:13 PM
https://twitter.com/tmz/status/669966871857205248

Sigh....being a Sixers fan keeps getting better!

But hey. Now we got a win.

Haha yep, basically just wrote the exact same thing about this in the Game Thread.

Screaming "We Got Money!" from the clearly drunk 20 yr old in the streets of Boston after their 15th straight loss of the year... isn't the best look.

He's got "Less Money!" now, tell ya that much.

warfelg
11-26-2015, 04:17 PM
Haha yep, basically just wrote the exact same thing about this in the Game Thread.

Screaming "We Got Money!" from the clearly drunk 20 yr old in the streets of Boston after their 15th straight loss of the year... isn't the best look.

He's got "Less Money!" now, tell ya that much.

What disappointing about this is all the talk has been how great of a head he has and how mature on and off the court he is.

Scoots
11-26-2015, 04:22 PM
What disappointing about this is all the talk has been how great of a head he has and how mature on and off the court he is.

Mature compared to other teenagers who get a lot of money is not the same as mature for the rest of society.

This may be the thing that moves my thoughts on the Sixers from curiosity to pity.

WaDe03
11-26-2015, 04:24 PM
Well he said he was being surrounded and felt threatened. Also someone supposedly went after one of his teammates. Can't fault the man for sticking up for himself and his teammate. Is he supposed to stand there and take it like a ***** because he's a pro athlete? That being said the Sixers are now 1-15 with a possible win coming up against Houston to go 2-15. We can end the who stays perfect longer thread now.

AllBall
11-26-2015, 04:32 PM
This is what losing and not having veteran players in the locker room to help keep these young players out of trouble looks like.

Adam Silver will be laying the smack down.

warfelg
11-26-2015, 04:34 PM
Well he said he was being surrounded and felt threatened. Also someone supposedly went after one of his teammates. Can't fault the man for sticking up for himself and his teammate. Is he supposed to stand there and take it like a ***** because he's a pro athlete? That being said the Sixers are now 1-15 with a possible win coming up against Houston to go 2-15. We can end the who stays perfect longer thread now.

Yea. And what's disappointing about the fact that this guy might have been following them since they left and yelling things and got physical with his teammate first:
No one ever records that part. So even if it's true, all that will ever be out there is the "Okafor assaulted someone" part.

tredigs
11-26-2015, 04:34 PM

From his interviews he does seem like he has a sound head, but if you're out drinking in the ultimate ****-talking town and you're already on edge from the losing (and you're 20), this isn't that shocking. I wouldn't worry about it long run.

AllBall
11-26-2015, 04:36 PM
Yea. And what's disappointing about the fact that this guy might have been following them since they left and yelling things and got physical with his teammate first:
No one ever records that part. So even if it's true, all that will ever be out there is the "Okafor assaulted someone" part.

Despite that, Okafor is 19 and clearly intoxicated which is going to be the bigger issue here.

Yashimack
11-26-2015, 04:43 PM
Well being from Chicago he's just defending him and his teammate. I can also gurantee he really doesnt care what happens.I'll rather them keep loosing and hopefully get Ben Simmons so my boy a have some help next year.

FraziersKnicks
11-26-2015, 04:52 PM
I expect Adam Silver will come down hard. As an NBA player you have to deal with fans getting on your back. If he's getting into fights because someone said his team suck, he's got a looooong way to go.

warfelg
11-26-2015, 04:59 PM
I expect Adam Silver will come down hard. As an NBA player you have to deal with fans getting on your back. If he's getting into fights because someone said his team suck, he's got a looooong way to go.

Well he never actually KOed the player. And the report also says the group was harassing Okafor and a teammate and started a physical altercation with the unnamed teammate before Okafor reacted.

So there's more to this story than is out there.

Corey
11-26-2015, 05:01 PM
Yikes.

1) Why is a 19 year old rookie, who you hope to be the face of your franchise, out drinking right after a game?
2) Why is someone that's played in front of hostile crowds basically his entire life letting a heckling fan get in his head?
3) Screaming "We got money, *****" isn't a good look no matter who you are.
4) Could anything else happen to make the situation in Philly even worse? Seriously.

WaDe03
11-26-2015, 05:23 PM
How many people on here drank before they were 21 and how many people on here would watch their teammate get attacked and not do anything about it? People aren't paying attention to the whole story and just putting all the blame on Okafor because he's an athlete.

lamzoka
11-26-2015, 05:29 PM
How many people on here drank before they were 21 and how many people on here would watch their teammate get attacked and not do anything about it? People aren't paying attention to the whole story and just putting all the blame on Okafor because he's an athlete.

I do stupid **** all the time when I'm drunk. You'll never see it on PSD or ESPN. Why? Because I'm nobody. I'm just a regular Joe. Okafor is helld to a higher standard. That's what he signed up for. Can't compare him to u and I.

warfelg
11-26-2015, 05:31 PM

Amen.

People forget he's still human. Just because he's in the NBA doesn't mean he doesn't have emotions.

dtmagnet
11-26-2015, 05:35 PM
I hate Mass holes just as much as anyone else, but you can't be fighting when you're a pro athlete.

warfelg
11-26-2015, 05:41 PM
Since everyone decides to skip the article and comment on headlines:

We're told the altercation began because one of the men in the other group yelled at Jahlil, "The 76ers suck."

We spoke with a rep for Jahlil who tells us ... Okafor says he was being heckled from the moment he left the club and felt threatened because people swarmed him on the street.

He says he was with a teammate -- who he wouldn't name -- and says someone got physical with the teammate ... so Jahlil did what he felt he needed to do to protect himself and his friend.

They immediately left after the incident.

WaDe03
11-26-2015, 05:53 PM
I do stupid **** all the time when I'm drunk. You'll never see it on PSD or ESPN. Why? Because I'm nobody. I'm just a regular Joe. Okafor is helld to a higher standard. That's what he signed up for. Can't compare him to u and I.

What does he do in that situation though. Getting swarmed by a bunch of people talking **** to him and attack his teammate. Are they supposed to stand there and let these dudes beat them up because they're professional athletes lol? If he's swarmed by a bunch of people and his teammates already being attacked what else could he possibly do?

Raidaz4Life
11-26-2015, 05:55 PM
Since everyone decides to skip the article and comment on headlines:

First off.... of course he is going to say that. He isn't going to release a statement that makes him look like the aggressor. Second off, as it has already been said in this thread, He is held to a higher standard because of the profession he chose. If all you "he's just a drunk kid" crowd made millions of dollars as the face of a company or organization and acted the same way he did then I guess its a good thing you aren't in that kind of position.

warfelg
11-26-2015, 06:03 PM
First off.... of course he is going to say that. He isn't going to release a statement that makes him look like the aggressor. Second off, as it has already been said in this thread, He is held to a higher standard because of the profession he chose. If all you "he's just a drunk kid" crowd made millions of dollars as the face of a company or organization and acted the same way he did then I guess its a good thing you aren't in that kind of position.

So your saying it's ok for me and my buddies to go up to David Carr, harass him, start pushing around a teammate, and blame him if he pushes me?

By saying that the player is held to a higher standard your basically saying anyone can do anything to them and not get in trouble.

FraziersKnicks
11-26-2015, 06:05 PM

There's a difference when you're paid millions of dollars to do your job. You're held to a much higher standard.

tredigs
11-26-2015, 06:06 PM
What does he do in that situation though. Getting swarmed by a bunch of people talking **** to him and attack his teammate. Are they supposed to stand there and let these dudes beat them up because they're professional athletes lol? If he's swarmed by a bunch of people and his teammates already being attacked what else could he possibly do?

Swarmed? Give me a break. He had friends + a car there ready to go and he went out of his way to attack the guy. Did you not watch the video?

If he's going to go out clubbing in opposing cities - especially Boston - and can't conduct himself better than this, then he's ****ed. I'm sure he can, but this was a black eye for him... well both of them.

warfelg
11-26-2015, 06:06 PM
Just want to say that I'm not defending Okafor, rather there is much more to the story that just Okafor pushed a guy.

Also:
Team said they are aware as to what happened, are investigating, and won't make any more statements until they have gathered all the information.

warfelg
11-26-2015, 06:07 PM
There's a difference when you're paid millions of dollars to do your job. You're held to a much higher standard.

So now it's ok to go up and harass and physically go at someone now as long as they are famous?

warfelg
11-26-2015, 06:08 PM
Just want to say that I'm not defending Okafor, rather there is much more to the story that just Okafor pushed a guy.

Also:
Team said they are aware as to what happened, are investigating, and won't make any more statements until they have gathered all the information.

So you've seen a video from the very beginning when they stepped out the club to know exactly what happened?

FraziersKnicks
11-26-2015, 06:08 PM
So your saying it's ok for me and my buddies to go up to David Carr, harass him, start pushing around a teammate, and blame him if he pushes me?

By saying that the player is held to a higher standard your basically saying anyone can do anything to them and not get in trouble.

Are you trying to say he did the right thing by fighting back? And we shouldn't blame him? Or are you just blindly defending a dumb reaction of a sports star because he plays for your favourite team?

FraziersKnicks
11-26-2015, 06:11 PM
So now it's ok to go up and harass and physically go at someone now as long as they are famous?

At what stage have I said it's okay in the first place? I'm saying if you're paid millions of dollars to do your job and you're in a position where you're an idol to a lot of young kids you have to act accordingly.

warfelg
11-26-2015, 06:13 PM
Are you trying to say he did the right thing by fighting back? And we shouldn't blame him? Or are you just blindly defending a dumb reaction of a sports star because he plays for your favourite team?

I'm not saying he's not at fault or he did the right thing.

But saying there is more to it going on. To say that Okafor is the only one in the wrong without looking at the entire situation is wrong.

tredigs
11-26-2015, 06:18 PM
And I've mentioned this about the Sixers before, but this is what I mean about how a lack of leadership puts KAT in such a better place than Okafor in this league. Having KG there to show him the ropes and tell him what spots to avoid in what cities, etc is such an underrated part of NBA life and it's why some players stay on track while others fall victim to the girls/money/party and never become what they could be.

In no way am I saying Okafor is screwed, but I'm just saying, having leadership on a young team was always absolutely crucial to me in sports, and it's 100x more important at this level.

But saying there is more to it going on. To say that Okafor is the only one in the wrong without looking at the entire situation is wrong.

I'm pretty sure people realize that it was not him randomly antagonizing and attacking Boston patrons, if that's what you're implying. It's just that... they don't matter as it concerns him/the NBA.

FraziersKnicks
11-26-2015, 06:18 PM

I agree, the other guy is probably more in the wrong. But the other guy is a no-name who probably earns minimum wage working in McDonalds.

When you are paid millions to be the face of a company you have to act accordingly.

AllBall
11-26-2015, 06:19 PM
1. if the club sold or gave him alcohol, its against the law and they can be held liable.

2. It is illegal to consume alcohol under the age of 21 in the US

3. There are separate laws also for public drunkedness which may apply here

4. There are separate laws for what constitutes as self defense, which will be hard for Okafor to argue in court if it comes to that, considering there is video evidence he went after the person when he had a means to leave the situation.

5. It will be hard for Okafor to use his account of what happend in his defense because he was intoxicated, that does not lend well to his credibility vs video evidence

If you want to use the argument "who amongst us here hasn't..." it's pretty pointless, he doesn't need forgiveness and mercy from any of us. He'll need it from the NBA, the Judicial system and those involved in the altercation. The court of public opinion is meaningless.

If you are put yourself in a situation where you're breaking rules/agreements/laws then you run the risk of facing the consequences that come with that, and at one point or another you have to face that.

tredigs
11-26-2015, 06:22 PM
1. if the club sold or gave him alcohol, its against the law and they can be held liable.

2. It is illegal to consume alcohol under the age of 21 in the US

3. There are separate laws also for public drunkedness which may apply here

4. There are separate laws for what constitutes as self defense, which will be hard for Okafor to argue in court if it comes to that, considering he went after the person when he had a means to leave the situation.

5. It will be hard for Okafor to use his account of what happend in his defense because he was intoxicated, that does not lend well to his credibility

He was not arrested, so that part will probably get swept under the rug and the guy who got hit will likely just settle out of court for a million dollars or whatever.

Raidaz4Life
11-26-2015, 06:24 PM

Is anyone saying he is the only one in the wrong? I'm saying this probably happens to guys on a nightly basis and yet they don't react the way he did.

warfelg
11-26-2015, 06:25 PM
He was not arrested, so that part will probably get swept under the rug and the guy who got hit will likely just settle out of court for a million dollars or whatever.

Well not that it's an excuse, but athletes drink all the time. Of age or underage.

conway429

There's nothing else to it. Stop making excuses for him cause he's on your team. The video clearly shows him standing next to a car, and instead of getting into it and ending the situation he chose to escalate it. Then he's getting held back and he pushes past the guy to throw a punch at a guy who was standing 15 feet away.

"76ers suck" is no excuse for that. Don't you think guys like LeBron or Tom Brady get heckled!? They're pro athletes.

More-Than-Most
He plays for the sixers... give the guy a break : )

More-Than-Most
11-26-2015, 06:27 PM
There's nothing else to it. Stop making excuses for him cause he's on your team. The video clearly shows him standing next to a car, and instead of getting into it and ending the situation he chose to escalate it. Then he's getting held back and he pushes past the guy to throw a punch at a guy who was standing 15 feet away.

"76ers suck" is no excuse for that. Don't you think guys like LeBron or Tom Brady get heckled!? They're pro athletes.

um him being able to get in the car doesn't show if one of his friends was being targeted or teammates or what not... it has 0 to do with either of us being fans and more about people saying there is more to the story... he punched a dude... happens... he will get in trouble if that is the case and we will all move on. 19 year olds and their short tempers... I guess he is the only one.

warfelg
11-26-2015, 06:27 PM
I agree, the other guy is probably more in the wrong. But the other guy is a no-name who probably earns minimum wage working in McDonalds.

When you are paid millions to be the face of a company you have to act accordingly.

Well in the eyes of the law part, millions of dollars or minimum wage, we are all seen as the same.

More-Than-Most
11-26-2015, 06:28 PM
Personally if anything I think the NBA needs to blame themselves for **** like this... how about we let adults join the nba and not ****ing kids?

tredigs
11-26-2015, 06:30 PM
Well in the eyes of the law part, millions of dollars or minimum wage, we are all seen as the same.

You got jokes I see.

warfelg
11-26-2015, 06:30 PM

So nothing else matters? Not the this guys buddies went after another Sixer? Jahlil should have sat there at let his teammate get beat on?

What if it were Noel and his season was ended with a broken leg because someone went after him? You would be ripping Jah for watching it and not doing anything.

AllBall
11-26-2015, 06:32 PM
Personally if anything I think the NBA needs to blame themselves for **** like this... how about we let adults join the nba and not ****ing kids?

I blame the NCAA. If they would just pay these athletes they're making millions of dollars from, then wouldn't have to jump ship so soon. But that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

warfelg
11-26-2015, 06:34 PM
You got jokes I see.

What's this supposed to mean?

If I walk up to LeBron tomorrow and pop him in the face, in the eyes of the law it doesn't matter what he does next.

All that video shows is a snippet from the very end of a longer altercation.

I'm not defending Jahlil. What he did was stupid. But people need to stop insinuating that this was some guy walking down the street, saying one thing, and Jah went at him.

warfelg
11-26-2015, 06:37 PM
I blame the NCAA. If they would just pay these athletes they're making millions of dollars from, then wouldn't have to jump ship so soon. But that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

Eh. Just make the age 20 or two years removed from high school.

Consider these kids get free:
Education
Food
Housing
Clothing
Travel allowance
Books
Supplies

Student athletes get much more than many of us think. On average a DI player gets about $80-100k in benefits a year.

GiantsSwaGG
11-26-2015, 06:40 PM
He pretty much embarrassed the league as well as his team. 10 game suspension should be handed to him

warfelg
11-26-2015, 06:47 PM
He pretty much embarrassed the league as well as his team. 10 game suspension should be handed to him

It will take a couple of days, but most people guessing are saying 5ish games.

Yashimack
11-26-2015, 06:50 PM
Okafore did what he had to do simple as that. I would of did the same. Being on any team is a brotherhood. Any body hit my brother getting knocked the f@#$ out.

Yashimack
11-26-2015, 06:52 PM
Some of you people on here are crazy
Why should he get a 10 game suspension? If anything just have hime pay a fine a get on about his day.

AllBall
11-26-2015, 06:58 PM
Eh. Just make the age 20 or two years removed from high school.

Consider these kids get free:
Education
Food
Housing
Clothing
Travel allowance
Books
Supplies

Student athletes get much more than many of us think. On average a DI player gets about $80-100k in benefits a year.

Put it into a deferred fund that they can get upon completion of degree (AS, BS, MS, etc) of course tied with agreement to conduct, etc. But you know, NCAA is the most corrupt sports organization next to FIFA.

tredigs
11-26-2015, 07:06 PM
What's this supposed to mean?

If I walk up to LeBron tomorrow and pop him in the face, in the eyes of the law it doesn't matter what he does next.

All that video shows is a snippet from the very end of a longer altercation.

I'm not defending Jahlil. What he did was stupid. But people need to stop insinuating that this was some guy walking down the street, saying one thing, and Jah went at him.

I was laughing at the fact that you think a broke person will be treated the same as a millionaire in "the eyes of the law". We have roughly 100 million precedents that prove otherwise, but that''s not really relevant here.

He punched someone because his friend got punched is the best case scenario for those defending his position. And that isn't a good position.

spreadeagle
11-26-2015, 08:48 PM
I get what some of you are saying, but at the end of the day,he should of walked over to homeboy threw a wad of cash in dudes face and said"you look like you need it more than I do" got in his Ferrari with his probably super hot girlfriend and peeled out to his mansion....would have saved himself a MASSIVE headache of costs and legal action

deaner
11-26-2015, 09:31 PM
A little embarrassing for the kid in Boston too. Seems like a tough guy until stuff got real. I hope the league realizes it can't be too harsh or it may make these multi-million dollar athletes targets for a bunch of get rich quick attacks.

Truth is it was one punch and wasn't the first thrown. You mess with the bull you get the horn. Eat it. The league and team have a different approach available... Disapline him if they can prove he was drinking instead of the fight. That would protect future players from similar attacks. Obviously behind closed doors you have a talk with him and make sure he knows he messed up in getting into it with a fan. Even if the fan was stupid and in way over his head.

This is an example of why tanking is not good for the league. Philly needs to see how they have contributed to this situation. Losing has effected this player in his rookie year.

C-ross12
11-26-2015, 09:40 PM
Put it into a deferred fund that they can get upon completion of degree (AS, BS, MS, etc) of course tied with agreement to conduct, etc. But you know, NCAA is the most corrupt sports organization next to FIFA.

I've said it multiple times, but if I were an extremely talented kid coming fresh from high school, I'd sign to play in Europe. Putting up a huge advertising board of Simmons from LSU is pretty upsetting. Its absolutely ridiculous what these kids bring in and compare it to what they get.

As bad as college basketball is, its nothing compared to how bad college football is. If you play football right out of high school you have no other option the college.

But back to Okafor. Its obviously a pretty bad situation. 19, fighting late night while yelling profanity. After losing 16 games in a row he'll be facing discipline from the league, and likely will be facing legal troubles as well. I'm not aware enough to know if the law will be involved. It doesn't sound like he was arrested so no charged were filed. So thats good for him I guess. Overall it must be pretty discouraging for a 76ers fan.

Raps18-19 Champ
11-26-2015, 09:51 PM
What exactly did he expect from fans in a city like Boston?

Corey
11-26-2015, 10:13 PM
He shouldn't have been at a club, he shouldn't have been drunk on the streets late at night, and he should be mature enough to know that as an athlete he's going to get a lot of **** talk. I dont care how old he is, he needs to realize that when he's a public figure making that much money, not only is he going to be a target but he's expected to be a role model and he's expected to handle situations like this a lot better than he did.

SteBO
11-26-2015, 10:51 PM
He shouldn't have been at a club, he shouldn't have been drunk on the streets late at night, and he should be mature enough to know that as an athlete he's going to get a lot of **** talk. I dont care how old he is, he needs to realize that when he's a public figure making that much money, not only is he going to be a target but he's expected to be a role model and he's expected to handle situations like this a lot better than he did.
Yep, you're 100% correct, and that's the whole problem if you are speaking in terms of what fans should expect. Franchises should expect as much, but we as fans hold millionaires to standards that we wouldn't even hold ourselves to(well most of us anyway). The franchises who dole out $$$ to these guys should expect them to be role models and represent them properly; but fans shouldn't. Those who do are just too naive, and forget that they're human beings with needs and wants like the rest of us, and not robotic circus entertainers who's lives revolve around "entertaining" you and me. (This isn't referencing you personally Corey, I'm speaking in general terms). The "higher standard" argument is always gonna be an iffy one to me.

NYKnickFanatic
11-26-2015, 11:10 PM

The Sixers still don't have a win...

beasted86
11-26-2015, 11:11 PM
The hell you talking about 1-15? Were you high when posing this?

NYKnickFanatic
11-26-2015, 11:12 PM
How do feeling threatened and screaming, "we got money, *****" relate?

How could he feel threatened when he was the one being held back and going after the dude?

McAllen Tx
11-27-2015, 12:56 AM

I wonder how much, when settling out of court, will the, "I have money, *****!," play into their settlement LOL

After dude gets his check he should yell, "I got money now too, *****. Your money."

58miller
11-27-2015, 06:53 AM

Are you crazy? He's supposed to alow someone he is with to be assaulted because he's an athlete? I know alot of millionaires who conceal carry and if you assault them like anybody else you will probably be shot or held at gun point until cops arrived.

2-ONE-5
11-27-2015, 09:51 AM
he def didnt KO anyone. he was obviously wrong regardless of what else went down but i hate TMZ and they like to twist **** up.

basketballkitty
11-27-2015, 10:29 AM
I just wanna see how Adam Silver handles the part where Okafor used the " N-Word " I mean if that would have been a while player...it would be 10 times a bigger story then anything that happened in Paris with the Terrorist attack.....Stephen A Smith & Jemele Hill would see to that. But because Okafor is Black...some people think ( And they would be wrong )...that the usage of that word is not as bad....WRONG!!!

ewing
11-27-2015, 10:34 AM
I just wanna see how Adam Silver handles the part where Okafor used the " N-Word " I mean if that would have been a while player...it would be 10 times a bigger story then anything that happened in Paris with the Terrorist attack.....Stephen A Smith & Jemele Hill would see to that. But because Okafor is Black...some people think ( And they would be wrong )...that the usage of that word is not as bad....WRONG!!!

its just a word.

Gander13SM
11-27-2015, 10:42 AM
its just a word.

They have a point though. If that was a white man, say an owner of a team, using that word. He would be forced to sell his team probably. Or at least step down and let someone else run it while he collects cheques.

If that was Redick or Bogut saying that would you still be saying "it's just a word?".

I'm not disagreeing with you. Just saying I can see their point.

GiantsSwaGG
11-27-2015, 10:46 AM
its just a word.

I'm black and Idc who uses it white or black but since Silver made it clear that rascism will not be tolerated and with the events of Farey and Sterling, Okafor should be punished for using it as well!

basketballkitty
11-27-2015, 10:47 AM
They have a point though. If that was a white man, say an owner of a team, using that word. He would be forced to sell his team probably. Or at least step down and let someone else run it while he collects cheques.

If that was Redick or Bogut saying that would you still be saying "it's just a word?".

The problem with your example is....NO NBA Owner that I know of has ever said that word ( N-Word )....I KNOW for a fact Donald Sterling never said it.

2-ONE-5
11-27-2015, 11:05 AM
lets not turn this into a race debate, thats is not necessary. I dont think Okafor gets more than a game or 2 out of this

GiantsSwaGG
11-27-2015, 11:07 AM
lets not turn this into a race debate, thats is not necessary. I dont think Okafor gets more than a game or 2 out of this

He deserves more than 2 games

AllBall
11-27-2015, 11:12 AM
I'm black and Idc who uses it white or black but since Silver made it clear that rascism will not be tolerated and with the events of Farey and Sterling, Okafor should be punished for using it as well!

Neither Sterling or Farey used the word. Players say it on the floor all the time and the microphones have picked up on it. I doubt the NBA will do anything outside of fine for that.

ewing
11-27-2015, 11:45 AM

yeah, it just a word. it can be offensive it can be offensive depending on how you use it but its not magical or anything. Its just a word

ewing
11-27-2015, 11:48 AM

you are entitled to your opinion but being black doesn't add weight to it. The NBA players wanted Sterling out. They are what gives the league value. Sterling had to go. Things are situational. This situation is different then that one as it would be if JJ Reddick said "n... please" or something in a joking manner.

2-ONE-5
11-27-2015, 11:51 AM
He deserves more than 2 games

not really. he threw a guy to the ground in what he felt was self defense.

GiantsSwaGG
11-27-2015, 11:56 AM

Just because he felt it was self defense doesn't mean it was. He was clearly being held back and proceed to go towards the heckler and assault him. All he had to do was walk away and he didn't. 5-10 games should do it and that light, 2 games isn't anything, you get more just by smoking alil weed

GiantsSwaGG
11-27-2015, 12:00 PM
you are entitled to your opinion but being black doesn't add weight to it. The NBA players wanted Sterling out. They are what gives the league value. Sterling had to go. Things are situational. This situation is different then that one as it would be if JJ Reddick said "n... please" or something in a joking manner.

I don't think it matter if the word was used in a joking matter, Hulk Hogan used it in a joking matter and pretty much destroyed his tied and legacy in wrestling.

AllBall
11-27-2015, 12:03 PM

MASSACHUSETTS
Instruction 9.260
2009 Edition
SELF-DEFENSE

SELF-DEFENSE; DEFENSE OF ANOTHER;
DEFENSE OF PROPERTY

I. SELF-DEFENSE

INTRODUCTION

A person is allowed to act in self-defense. If evidence of self-defense
is present, the Commonwealth must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that
the defendant did not act in self-defense. In other words, if you have a
reasonable doubt whether or not the defendant acted in self-defense, your
verdict must be not guilty.

A. USE OF NON-DEADLY FORCE
To prove that the defendant did not act in self-defense, the
Commonwealth must prove one of the following things beyond a
reasonable doubt:

First, that the defendant did not reasonably believe he (she) was
being attacked or immediately about to be attacked, and that his (her)
safety was in immediate danger; or

Second, that the defendant did not do everything reasonable in the
circumstances to avoid physical combat before resorting to force; or
Third, that the defendant used more force to defend himself (herself)
than was reasonably necessary in the circumstances.

Okafor is in trouble. Those involved can still file charges.

ewing
11-27-2015, 12:05 PM
I don't think it matter if the word was used in a joking matter, Hulk Hogan used it in a joking matter and pretty much destroyed his tied and legacy in wrestling.

i'm not familiar with what Hulkster said but if that is the case i feel bad for him. Just b/c something has happened doesn't mean it should happen again. so i guess i disagree, to me "how" does matter.

2-ONE-5
11-27-2015, 12:42 PM
Just because he felt it was self defense doesn't mean it was. He was clearly being held back and proceed to go towards the heckler and assault him. All he had to do was walk away and he didn't. 5-10 games should do it and that light, 2 games isn't anything, you get more just by smoking alil weed

he wont get 10 games dude. all reports are that him and an unknown teammate were being surrounded and harassed or whatever. its not like he KO'd the dude, he threw him to the ground.

nycericanguy
11-27-2015, 12:54 PM
I have a hard time believing a dude that is 7'0 280 felt "threatened"...

Okafor needs to develop some thicker skin, being that big AND a rich NBA player you are going to get harassed alot. Because people know you can't respond to it so they bait... only Okafor did respond.

The whole "we got money, you broke *** *****... we got more money than you *****"... thing was incredibly immature too. Sounds like this guy is going to have a hard time keeping level headed about "success".

PHI should have signed a couple of vets at least... Okafor has no one to mentor or guide him or show him the ropes.

warfelg
11-27-2015, 01:01 PM

Okafor needs to develop some thicker skin, being that big AND a rich NBA player you are going to get harassed alot. Because people know you can't respond to it so they bait... only Okafor did respond.

The whole "we got money, you broke *** *****... we got more money than you *****"... thing was incredibly immature too. Sounds like this guy is going to have a hard time keeping level headed about "success".

PHI should have signed a couple of vets at least... Okafor has no one to mentor or guide him or show him the ropes.

32 year old Carl Landry not count?

ewing
11-27-2015, 01:17 PM
32 year old Carl Landry not count?

its more then that though, openly advertising the fact that you want to be as bad as possible isn't a good look for these kids. i think my knicks showed you don't have to over invest to floor something that allows guys to be part of something with room to grow while not resembling a summer league team.

D-Leethal
11-27-2015, 01:22 PM

BS. Regardless of what happened beforehand, the situation was de-escalated, both parties were separated, police were on the scene and Okafor ran 20 feet across the scene and layed the dude out. That's not self defense no matter how you slice it, Okafor and his boy were no longer in any danger whatsoever when he acted out. Self defense isn't "eye for an eye" dude. If Okafor's boy got hit earlier, it was still over, you don't get to deck the dude 2 minutes later after the fight breaks up because your boy got hit lol. Justifiable street justice yes, acceptable behavior for an NBA player no.

I'd say he gets 7 games. A little more than 5 for being such a ******* with the "we got money you broke *** *****" crap.

D-Leethal
11-27-2015, 01:26 PM
Blame Hinkie. If he just paid some NBA players to fill out an NBA roster they wouldn't be so bad, the aura around the team wouldn't stink so bad, players would be in higher spirits, fans wouldn't bust their balls as bad at 3am, Okafor would have a higher breaking point, he wouldn't feel the need to drown his sorrows until 3am after an L, and incidents like this wouldn't happen.

Half joking, half true. But institutional losing breeds angst that permeates throughout the team and fans, and gives haters unlimited firepower.

GiantsSwaGG
11-27-2015, 01:27 PM
he wont get 10 games dude. all reports are that him and an unknown teammate were being surrounded and harassed or whatever. its not like he KO'd the dude, he threw him to the ground.

That's still assault, from the video we saw, he wasn't surround, in fact he had plenty of time to walk about but he ran to the guy and assaulted him. 10 game suspension is light but should be handed to him. And notice the "Unknown teammate" who supposedly felt threaten didn't assault anyone

basketballkitty
11-27-2015, 01:32 PM
BS. Regardless of what happened beforehand, the situation was de-escalated, both parties were separated, police were on the scene and Okafor ran 20 feet across the scene and layed the dude out. That's not self defense no matter how you slice it, Okafor and his boy were no longer in any danger whatsoever when he acted out. Self defense isn't "eye for an eye" dude. If Okafor's boy got hit earlier, it was still over, you don't get to deck the dude 2 minutes later after the fight breaks up because your boy got hit lol. Justifiable street justice yes, acceptable behavior for an NBA player no.

I'd say he gets 7 games. A little more than 5 for being such a ******* with the "we got money you broke *** *****" crap.

This is the most Idiotic statement ever. I mean 7 games ?....laughable. At most he will get 1 game. And that is it. He was dumb cause he could have got hurt. But there is no evidence that he was drinking at all, and the other party was the instigator. 7 games...LOL...what a fool.

D-Leethal
11-27-2015, 01:33 PM
I just rewatched it and I don't think the dude got thrown to the ground, he arms go limp when he falls, looks like he was rocked on the button to me but it's kinda hard to tell.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-27-2015, 01:33 PM
10 games? No way. Heck Larry Sanders didn't get 10 games in his bottle throwing and slipping around on the dance floor with the Albanians.

2-ONE-5
11-27-2015, 01:34 PM

your going off a breif clip shown by a joke of a news outlet in TMZ who aims to stir things up. I really dont care that a 19 year old kid is immature thats expected.

2-ONE-5
11-27-2015, 01:35 PM
That's still assault, from the video we saw, he wasn't surround, in fact he had plenty of time to walk about but he ran to the guy and assaulted him. 10 game suspension is light but should be handed to him. And notice the "Unknown teammate" who supposedly felt threaten didn't assault anyone

lol now 10 games would be a light suspension. jesus.

GiantsSwaGG
11-27-2015, 01:40 PM
10 games? No way. Heck Larry Sanders didn't get 10 games in his bottle throwing and slipping around on the dance floor with the Albanians.

JR Smith got suspended 5 games for smoking weed, assaulting someone is worse

D-Leethal
11-27-2015, 01:43 PM
This is the most Idiotic statement ever. I mean 7 games ?....laughable. At most he will get 1 game. And that is it. He was dumb cause he could have got hurt. But there is no evidence that he was drinking at all, and the other party was the instigator. 7 games...LOL...what a fool.

He beat the crap out of a fan on video.

So theres no evidence he was drinking, yet evidence the other party was the instigator? You don't think the NBA can dig up proof he was drinking that night via nightclub video or eye witnesses? You don't think the NBA conducts thorough investigations into this stuff? When you potentially suspend people and take millions out of their pockets, yea you do.

I don't think 7 is crazy all things considered. Explain why you think it is and why at most he will get 1 please.

GiantsSwaGG
11-27-2015, 01:45 PM
And rewatch the video, he's screaming "we got money" the dude wasn't even near him, he's being held back and pushes the person off of him to attack the guy. Pushes him viciously to the ground (could of walk away from there) but no goes up to him again and punches him. And again the unknown teammate where was he and why wasn't he involved or assualted anyone?

D-Leethal
11-27-2015, 01:48 PM
your going off a breif clip shown by a joke of a news outlet in TMZ who aims to stir things up. I really dont care that a 19 year old kid is immature thats expected.

Are you insinuating the TMZ edited the video or something?

There is absolutely nothing that could have happened before or after the video that refutes what I said. The situation was de-escalated. Okafor far away from his hecklers. Police already on the scene. Okafor runs 20 feet towards his heckler and decks him. That is not self defense now matter how you slice it. Please explain how you get self defense from that video. Please explain what could have happened in the seconds leading up to that video that could get you self defense. You can't.

TMZ was enough proof to ruin plenty of careers so I wouldn't discredit the video clip just because its TMZ. Just ask Ray Rice.

If I'm going off a brief clip what are you going off of? The deperate word of someone who is potentially charged with assault and out millions of dollars trying to save his own ***?

latinofire21
11-27-2015, 01:49 PM

So theres no evidence he was drinking, yet evidence the other party was the instigator? You don't think the NBA can dig up proof he was drinking that night via nightclub video or eye witnesses? You don't think the NBA conducts thorough investigations into this stuff? When you potentially suspend people and take millions out of their pockets, yea you do.

I don't think 7 is crazy all things considered. Explain why you think it is and why at most he will get 1 please.

I think you were being very nice when you said only 7 games. Okafor was my favorite player in the draft but after this incident I am happy we didn't get him. You are under age drinking in a club, antagonizing a drunk fan saying you got more money and then you knock him out on top of it. The whammy on top of it all is that TMZ is running with the story and the whole nation is off watching this on TV because its thanksgiving one of the most wholesome family holidays. Artest lost a season for an altercation on TV with fans on national television. That guy from the NFL, you know, RAY RICE lost a season for beating up his wife and getting caught on an Elevator camera. You don't think he's getting a huge suspension is hilarious. The last time the NBA has had to deal with this was during the Malice in the Palace. Its a high profile rookie on top of it. I think he's getting over 20 games suspension and I don't think the 76ers will fight it because they just love to tank. Okafor is no longer in play for rookie of the year either. Kiss that goodbye.

D-Leethal
11-27-2015, 01:49 PM
And rewatch the video, he's screaming "we got money" the dude wasn't even near him, he's being held back and pushes the person off of him to attack the guy. Pushes him viciously to the ground (could of walk away from there) but no goes up to him again and punches him. And again the unknown teammate where was he and why wasn't he involved or assualted anyone?

The only person in that video acting out of self defense after his friend got decked was the white dude trying to hit Okafor after he knocked his boy out.

basketballkitty
11-27-2015, 02:09 PM

One...he never started it. Two, the opposing party attacked them first...yes, a verbal attack IS considered assault in the Law son, and third....one could argue that at that time...Okafor felt legitimately threatened out there...there by justifying his actions. No son, if anything Okafor's usage of the N-Word is what will
be the issue here, and MAYBE the fact that he, and a teammate might have broken the teams curfew....maybe, I don't know that though.

D-Leethal
11-27-2015, 02:27 PM
One...he never started it. Two, the opposing party attacked them first...yes, a verbal attack IS considered assault in the Law son, and third....one could argue that at that time...Okafor felt legitimately threatened out there...there by justifying his actions. No son, if anything Okafor's usage of the N-Word is what will
be the issue here, and MAYBE the fact that he, and a teammate might have broken the teams curfew....maybe, I don't know that though.

One - you don't know that at all. And "I didn't start it" isn't enough for self defense bro. At the time Okafor committed the assault there was no threat - he was far away with police on the scene. A fight happening prior to that point is irrelevant to his self defense case.

Two - good luck using that in court my friend. Very rarely will a verbal assault justify self defense. It would have to be much worse than the kid saying "76ers suck" and much closer to the kid saying "I have a gun and I'm going to kill you". Laughable statement by you.

Three - no, one could not argue at the time of which the assault took place that Okafor felt threatened. He was nowhere near the guy he hit and police were on the scene already. The situation was de-escalated and OKAFOR was the only person being the aggressor at that time. Not to mention the other kids were about half his size. Gimme a break.

LOL - using the N word in public is not the issue here. Beating the crap out of someone and committing assault is the issue here. The N word usage just makes him look like a fool.

Please don't call me son, you are far too slow for that.

Max.This
11-27-2015, 02:39 PM
Don't know about the rest of you guys, but if I was the guy getting knocked out I would definitely sue Okafor because despite what the video doesn't show, it shows Okafor aggressively pursuing and physically assaulting someone. Can't reasonably believe a guy half his size is attempting to fight his teammate, who is probably taller than 6 ft. Reality stars and sports figures are always being taunted by people everywhere they go. Its apart of the fame and if that is considered self defense then idk what to tell you

warfelg
11-27-2015, 03:40 PM
Interesting as this story continues to evolve:
https://twitter.com/jakepavorsky/status/670324356107657216

https://twitter.com/jakelfischer/status/670323497986613249

https://twitter.com/jakelfischer/status/670320997850025984

ewing
11-27-2015, 03:47 PM

good, it wasn't a good move but i hope it blows over

basketballkitty
11-27-2015, 03:54 PM

Yeah well, Ben Roethlisberger nerver was Indicted, or arrested, or ever even questioned by the police ever, and the girl in Georgia even admitted 3 days after the night it was said Ben raped her that she lied, and made it up to the GBI...and yet two weeks after that, what did Goodell do to Ben ?

5ass
11-27-2015, 04:09 PM
This wouldn't have happened if Okafor just went to his hotel and rolled a fat *** joint instead of being out drunk and around drunk idiots.

IndyRealist
11-27-2015, 05:21 PM
The only person in that video acting out of self defense after his friend got decked was the white dude trying to hit Okafor after he knocked his boy out.

This. And the white dude was the one that got shoved into a car before the fight. Obviously TMZ cut the video, but it looks like Okafor was the aggressor, screaming at the other guys and being the first to make physical contact.

Obviously he doesn't have enough money to hire bodyguards like any sensible celebrity out in the middle of the night.

IndyRealist
11-27-2015, 05:24 PM

Verbally confronting someone is not considered assault UNDER THE LAW. You're not allowed to punch someone because they called you a p****, for instance.

"Under Massachusetts’ laws, assault is a separate, distinct crime from assault and battery.

Assault. A defendant commits assault by:

attempting to use physical force against another, or
demonstrating an intention to use immediate force against another.
A person does not need to inflict injury or even make physical contact with another to commit an assault.

For example, throwing a punch at someone, even if the punch misses, is the first type of assault. For this type of assault, the victim does not need to be afraid of, or even aware of, the defendant’s actions.

Running at someone with your fists up is the second type of assault. For this type of assault, the defendant must intend to put the victim in fear of bodily harm and the conduct must be reasonably perceived as threatening imminent physical harm."
http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/massachusetts-assault-battery-laws.htm

JEDean89
11-27-2015, 07:43 PM
well we have one video so far, and there are bound to be security cameras that aren't edited, we don't see the cause, and we only see the reaction so we need to see the security footage almost every bar has out front. first, jahlil and the bar need to be in trouble for having/being a 19 year old in a bar. MIP for sure, and suspension of liquor licence for a bit. He was clearly drunk, and i'm sure footage will show him drinking. Now, if Okafor is the aggressor after the initial provocation, he should and will face charges. If the footage shows at any time Okafor's victim's gang surrounding him or his friend, or making physical gestures such as clenched fists or raised hands at him, he is entirely within his right to defend himself. Remember, while both sides should walk away, neither is at more fault than the other for not. If that dude or any of his friends said or did anything to indicate an eminent attack on Jahlil or his friend, he acted in self defense. We need more footage, and more witnesses from people who weren't "around the corner, but thinks the guy was talking ****". Until then, I hope Jahlil was acting in defense and sober, cause otherwise its a really bad sign.

The big note is this. Hinkie is absolutely clueless as to the side effects of building a contending roster, let alone how to treat a world famous, multi-million dollar 19 year old, who went from a lifelong champion, to biggest loser in the NBA. Why hasn't Hinkie gotten vets on that team, who won't help them win games, but will lead, and most importantly, help raise the young players into men. We are almost all *******s at 19, everyone needs guidance. A team of 20 year olds is not going provide the type of environment a rookie needs to thrive. He is wasting some of the premier young talent in this league, and is creating a mockery out of one of the NBA's most storied organizations. Time for the league to step in and change the lottery to end this. I have 0 respect for Hinkie or Morey, and while I support analytics 100%, i do not support the negligence of 19 year olds in the most difficult of positions, learning to be a famous multi-millionaire and not **** it up. **** you Hinkie.

2-ONE-5
11-27-2015, 08:12 PM
i cant believe people are trying to put blame on Hinkie, seriously? There hasnt been any other incidents with Sixers plyers in the past and it sounds like this guy in Boston was stalking Okafor since the game ended.

Saddletramp
11-27-2015, 08:12 PM
I'm sure there's street cameras, being Boston and all.
A black dude saying the n word isn't a big deal.
If you were allowed to hurt someone claiming self defense because they called you a name, the courts would be full of stupid frivolous cases.
Did someone really say that a white guy in the NBA using the n word would be a bigger story than the Paris attacks? Lolwtfhahaha

basketballkitty
11-27-2015, 08:22 PM
i cant believe people are trying to put blame on Hinkie, seriously? There hasnt been any other incidents with Sixers plyers in the past and it sounds like this guy in Boston was stalking Okafor since the game ended.

What Okafor did was overall a dumb thing. I mean in todays society...he could have been shot or something . But in no way is Okafor a Bad Character guy. He has always been a good hard-working young man. And I seriously would question anyone's Intelligence if they said this is a RED FLAG regarding his Character.

JEDean89
11-27-2015, 08:28 PM

you think that oka and wood would be in this situation if they weren't 0-16, and had legitimate veterans to help guide them through **** like this? no doubt this happens, but come on, immaturity is starting to become a problem for the 76ers, and it's to be expected given the situation these young men are in. Hinkie owes it to these guys to get them role models on the team and in the locker room. What do you think a sixers locker room is like at half time?

basketballkitty
11-27-2015, 08:42 PM
you think that oka and wood would be in this situation if they weren't 0-16, and had legitimate veterans to help guide them through **** like this? no doubt this happens, but come on, immaturity is starting to become a problem for the 76ers, and it's to be expected given the situation these young men are in. Hinkie owes it to these guys to get them role models on the team and in the locker room. What do you think a sixers locker room is like at half time?

How idiotic can one person be ?.....Okafor IS a role model. He didn't go all Kobe...and Rape someone did he ?

tredigs
11-27-2015, 08:51 PM
I'm pretty sure as far as the 24 hr news cycle and NBA world is concerned, everybody is already over this. They've just stored it in the memory bank as, "Okafor may in fact be a destructive idiot?" and will only bring it back up if troubles around him resurface.

MonroeFAN
11-27-2015, 09:04 PM
Doesn't him saying it was "dumb" make up for everything?

I mean forgive him.

WOwolfOL
11-27-2015, 09:18 PM

I have a hard time believing you would have a hard time believing a man that big could feel threatened if he were a 7'3 man from Latvia instead.

Teeboy1487
11-27-2015, 09:35 PM
I'm a big fan of Okafor, but I'm very disappointed. I understand he is young, but he has to make better decisions. That situation really could have gotten very ugly. Trouble is so easy to get into. I wonder what discipline he will receive if any.

DODGERS&LAKERS
11-27-2015, 09:41 PM
I won't be a hypocrite. I drank under age and got into some fights when I was that age. It happens. Its to bad for him though cause every little thing he does from here on out will be attached to this incident as confirmational bias against him.

Corey
11-27-2015, 09:45 PM
I won't be a hypocrite. I drank under age and got into some fights when I was that age. It happens. Its to bad for him though cause every little thing he does from here on out will be attached to this incident as confirmational bias against him.

You weren't a public figure, employed by a company that invested millions and millions of dollars into you, and you didnt sign a contract expected you to be a representative of the franchise on and off the court.

More-Than-Most
11-27-2015, 09:50 PM
You weren't a public figure, employed by a company that invested millions and millions of dollars into you, and you didnt sign a contract expected you to be a representative of the franchise on and off the court.

yup... pretty much my same take on johnny football but oka is only 19. Thats why i also fault the nba and have always been against coming into the nba from highschool

Corey
11-27-2015, 09:58 PM
Im not someone that's super strong on morals or political correctness...I just think if you're a 19 year old kid making millions of dollars...It should be really easy to brush off some nobody that's talking ****.

If I was in that positions I'd laugh, honestly. Like congratulations, random Celtics fan. You have nothing better to do on the night before Thanksgiving than follow around some NBA rookie and talk ****. Your life must be so special.

Why let him get a rise out of you? That's exactly what he wants. Okafor has to be more mature than that.

DODGERS&LAKERS
11-27-2015, 10:04 PM

You are right. I was thinking about that fact while writing my initial post. But I don't know what its like to be in those shoes so I could not say what I would or wouldn't do. Kids are still kids no matter how much money you give them.

The only thing I would say is that none of my fights were over something so petty. If its true that all this came about cause a guy said "Sixers suck" Okafor does need thicker skin

Corey
11-27-2015, 10:08 PM
You are right. I was thinking about that fact while writing my initial post. But I don't know what is like to be in those shoes so I could not day what I would do. Kids are still kids no matter how much money you have

For sure. I've been hot headed in the past two, I cant deny that. I just think it's a really bad look for him on a few different levels. Being underage at the club, getting into a scuffle while appearing to be drunk on the street. Bragging about being rich, dropping N-Bombs in public as loud as he was...

I dont blame him and I think everyone screws up. Most fans wont really care, but for a Philly front office, with as much turmoil as they've been through lately..It just sucks for them.

tredigs
11-27-2015, 10:28 PM
yup... pretty much my same take on johnny football but oka is only 19. Thats why i also fault the nba and have always been against coming into the nba from highschool

Meh. We've had teenagers in the NBA getting heckled by fans for decades. Very few of them punch fans in the face.

More-Than-Most
11-27-2015, 10:51 PM
Meh. We've had teenagers in the NBA getting heckled by fans for decades. Very few of them punch fans in the face.

its a number of other issues... 18-21 is just far to young... let them grow up and get a degree or something to fall back on... they are bringing in stupid kids and handing them multi millions of dollars and milking their talent but are then shocked when a kid does something stupid that normal kids do or that these guys end up broke after their careers are over. I hate the system.

Corey
11-27-2015, 11:59 PM
Jahlil Okafor had a gun pointed at him during an altercation with two unidentified men in early October, a witness tells CSNPhilly.com.

The 19-year-old Sixers' rookie was outside an Old City nightclub after 2 a.m. on October 4 when he and another person began arguing with two men sitting in a parked car near the corner of 2nd and Walnut Streets, according to a witness. The verbal disagreement escalated and a witness said he saw Okafor try to punch the driver through the open driver's side window. During the altercation, the driver and passenger exited the car and the passenger pointed a gun in the direction of Okafor and his associate, per the witness.

U.S. Park Rangers — who patrol nearby Independence Hall — arrived on the scene during the altercation, according to separate reports filed by the U.S. Park Rangers and the Philadelphia Police Department and obtained by CSNPhilly.com. The man who exited the passenger side of the car fled on foot and appeared to toss his gun, per multiple witnesses. According to the police report, the driver got into a black Camaro with red stripes and sped off. The car was not stopped.

It is unclear what happened to Okafor or his associate after the incident or if they were interviewed by U.S. Park Rangers or PPD.
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25392196/report-sixers-okafor-had-gun-pointed-at-him-in-october-incident

:eyebrow:

Saddletramp
11-28-2015, 01:33 AM
Sounds like he just needs to go the **** to sleep after games and stop hitting up the club. Why do people hang outside the club after hours anyway?

ewing
11-28-2015, 01:39 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25392196/report-sixers-okafor-had-gun-pointed-at-him-in-october-incident

did you say Park Rangers?

AllBall
11-28-2015, 02:04 AM
Now that we have more info, I believe the NBA should investigate and identify the fan that stalked them. They should be banned from TD Garden. I don't believe that should be something that should be ignored.

ewing
11-28-2015, 02:18 AM
jesus, who cares? remember when Chuck would punch some ******* out in the bar and people thought he was cool b/c of it. guess you guys don't :)

Teeboy1487
11-28-2015, 01:21 PM

Very alarming. Okafor need to stay far away from night clubs at this point.

Corey
11-28-2015, 03:15 PM
Boston police say a man has come forward saying he’s the victim in a fight involving Philadelphia 76ers center Jahlil Okafor that was recorded and posted online. Authorities say a man filed a police report Friday saying the fight outside a nightclub left him with stitches over his eye. – via USA Today Sports

So there's that

warfelg
11-28-2015, 03:58 PM
So there's that

If the sustained heckling, attacking over trying to get a girls numbers, attacking Christian Wood, is all true, this guy got away easy. Like I said early on, there is much much to this, and in the end these guys won't look so much like angels.

JAZZNC
11-28-2015, 05:13 PM
And Philly continues to look like a circus. I will continue to say it, they are the biggest joke in Pro sports right now and things like this just make it that much worse.

I get kinda tired of hearing the "just a kid" stuff. You just have to be smarter than this in today's society. Yes guys did tons of stupid **** in the 80s & 90s but they would all be crucified for it today with social media/generation butt hurt. You just can't put yourself in those kinds of situations. I feel that since he has had two incidents outside of night clubs already....where there is smoke there is fire. And yes he is unfortunately going to be judged differently than me or you at the age of 19-20. He has a lot more responsibility and weight on his shoulders as the face of a franchise. Like it or not that is how it is. You have to grow up quick, plenty of guys have come into the NBA young and talented and haven't had these kinds of things go down. He needs to get his **** together.

deaner
11-28-2015, 05:42 PM
Okafor is being paid to lose games. He's fulfilling what the 76ers require of him.

He should demand to be put in a better situation if he wants a good life. Tanking sucks.

Sadds The Gr8
11-28-2015, 06:56 PM
why he swinging like a puss tho?

Sly Guy
11-28-2015, 07:03 PM
For sure. I've been hot headed in the past two, I cant deny that. I just think it's a really bad look for him on a few different levels. Being underage at the club, getting into a scuffle while appearing to be drunk on the street. Bragging about being rich, dropping N-Bombs in public as loud as he was...

I dont blame him and I think everyone screws up. Most fans wont really care, but for a Philly front office, with as much turmoil as they've been through lately..It just sucks for them.

+1.

I did get a kick out of the 'we got money' comeback though. Like a loudmouthed fan is really gonna stop when he hears something like that.

IndyRealist
11-28-2015, 07:09 PM
why he swinging like a puss tho?

Haven't seen a basketball player that could actually fight since the 90's.

xbrackattackx
11-28-2015, 08:51 PM

Childress told Bryant Helli for sure!

And those Pistons team brawls.

You forgot about Malice in Palice Bruh!

IndyRealist
11-28-2015, 09:31 PM
Childress told Bryant Helli for sure!

And those Pistons team brawls.

You forgot about Malice in Palice Bruh!

I watched the Malice live. Those guys couldn't fight, it simply looks like it when you're a foot taller than the guys you're slugging.

xbrackattackx
11-28-2015, 10:10 PM
I watched the Malice live. Those guys couldn't fight, it simply looks like it when you're a foot taller than the guys you're slugging.

Damnn I bet that was Intense. How close where you? I was agreeing with you as well. The older team were much more scrappy. With the streets being tougher then. And life in general much more gritty!

HoodedSB
11-28-2015, 10:45 PM
Nothing good comes from throwing year after year away, that organization has seriously bad juju right now.

deaner
11-29-2015, 12:11 AM

James Johnson

gaughan333
11-29-2015, 12:15 AM
If the sustained heckling, attacking over trying to get a girls numbers, attacking Christian Wood, is all true, this guy got away easy. Like I said early on, there is much much to this, and in the end these guys won't look so much like angels.

Doesn't matter. None of that gives Okafor a legal defense for the actions that he took in that situation.

KB24PG16
11-29-2015, 12:28 AM
fighting fans never a good idea obviously far different situation than the melee at the palace, but i would think the nba won't take this lightly

KB24PG16
11-29-2015, 12:30 AM
if jahlil really had a gun pulled on him in october already you would think he would be smart to quit going out after games so much, dumbass

Wade n Fade
11-29-2015, 12:11 PM
Okafor got pulled over for doing 108 MPH too. I had higher expectations for him coming out of Duke too. Suliamon was the first player to get dismissed by Coach K in recent memory. You would think Duke could help kids acclimate with expectations and responsibilities?

FraziersKnicks
11-29-2015, 12:40 PM
Okafor got pulled over for doing 108 MPH too. I had higher expectations for him coming out of Duke too. Suliamon was the first player to get dismissed by Coach K in recent memory. You would think Duke could help kids acclimate with expectations and responsibilities?

http://mobile.philly.com/blogs/?wss=/philly/blogs/sports/sixers/&id=357904171&

Doing 108 in a 40 :laugh2:

What the **** is wrong with this guy?!

Sadds The Gr8
11-29-2015, 12:41 PM
http://mobile.philly.com/blogs/?wss=/philly/blogs/sports/sixers/&id=357904171&

Doing 108 in a 40 :laugh2:

What the **** is wrong with this guy?!

was just about to post this. The **** is wrong with him lol? The Philly losing already have him depressed? :laugh2:

ROY 2 MVP Braun
11-29-2015, 12:58 PM
This sound a lot like a recent center that played for the Bucks for a few years before retiring

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-29-2015, 01:13 PM
Maybe Okafor wants to look like a bad apple to get traded.

CityofTreez
11-29-2015, 01:35 PM
Okafor is going through the gauntlet which he will learn with the rookie ropes.
Cousins dealt with it, and matured because of it.
His ability to ball will overcome these hiccups when it's all said and done.

deaner
11-29-2015, 02:24 PM
Philly's tanking aspirations crumbling before their eyes. Embid and Okafor along with other players need to be challenged not used to fail to gain future assets.

Corey
11-29-2015, 11:37 PM
Okafor is going through the gauntlet which he will learn with the rookie ropes.
Cousins dealt with it, and matured because of it.
His ability to ball will overcome these hiccups when it's all said and done.

Cousins has never done any of this.

Scoots
11-30-2015, 12:41 PM
Hinkie delighted that any suspension for his best player increases his draft pick stock.

warfelg
11-30-2015, 08:00 PM
Hinkie delighted that any suspension for his best player increases his draft pick stock.

We're actually a better team with him off the court. A suspension might actually give us some wins.

2-ONE-5
12-01-2015, 02:18 PM
so you think we would have a win if we didnt have Okafor? your heel turn on him has got quite annoying lately

tredigs
12-01-2015, 03:00 PM
Wow they're actually WAY better with him off the court. That's really odd considering the bench is full of D leaguers.

warfelg
12-01-2015, 03:11 PM
Statistically speaking we're better with him off the court. Don't know why it's absurd to think if he missed time that we would have a win or two in that span.

Scoots
12-01-2015, 03:31 PM
Part of that is that when Okafor is off the court it's the backups on the court for the opposing team.

warfelg
12-01-2015, 03:50 PM
Part of that is that when Okafor is off the court it's the backups on the court for the opposing team.

There's more to it that just that. Our defense per 100 is 28th with him on the court, 2nd without him. We were 4th last year.

2-ONE-5
12-01-2015, 03:56 PM
but the overall talent is worse then last year so far.

tredigs
12-01-2015, 04:00 PM

Well, it's also the backups for the Philadelphia 76ers. I just looked it up and his +/- is actually the worst in the NBA. Part of that is that I think him + Noel is just an absolutely horrible combination to play next to each other. They're the teams two best players, but they do not work as a unit.

WOwolfOL
12-02-2015, 12:13 PM
Oops, he did it again

GiantsSwaGG
12-02-2015, 12:49 PM
http://m.tmz.com/#article/2015/12/02/jahlil-okafor-fight-second-video-boston/

Just waiting on 2 one 5 to say he's a young kid and we should look the other way.

GiantsSwaGG
12-02-2015, 12:50 PM
So he was involved in 2 fights and for someone who felt "THREATEN" he sure had enough courage to charge someone and knock him out

nycericanguy
12-02-2015, 12:52 PM
HE GOT MONEY THOUGH YOU BROKE *** *****! MONEY!!!! MONNNNNEEYYYY!

ROTFL!...lol... what a douchbag!

nycericanguy
12-02-2015, 12:54 PM
sometimes people need to be knocked out... no matter what their size. but if you're 6'11 280 you better be damn careful becasue you outweigh most dudes by almost double. You can kill a dude if his head hits the concrete pavement the wrong way. why risk messing up your entire life over sillyness?

Okafor needs to grow up... a guy his size and playing in the NBA is going to be taunted and heckled all day, if he's gonna be that weak about it his career isnt going to last long.

warfelg
12-02-2015, 12:56 PM
Only thing I'm gonna say is not smart to see a 6'11" 280 pound guy getting retained by buddies, yet continue chasing him and hurling insults.

nycericanguy
12-02-2015, 12:57 PM
some people just cant handle having money without it going to their head... we all know people that feel the need to constantly brag and you just hope they never got rich because you wouldnt hear the end of it.

Jah seems like one of those dudes... doesnt have any humility to be able to handle having anything without being a dick about it.

nycericanguy
12-02-2015, 12:59 PM
Only thing I'm gonna say is not smart to see a 6'11" 280 pound guy getting retained by buddies, yet continue chasing him and hurling insults.

MONEY!... i mean players and celebrities get heckled all the time, I dont think they expected Jah to actually do anything about it... so its easy to be the tough guy knowing the players cant do anything... but in this case Jah was a moron and fell right into it and DID do something. Now this guy probably will be set for life off a lawsuit.

crazy how he acted like that even with several people recording. that 2nd video looks much worse, if im PHI's FO i'm cringing watching that.

warfelg
12-02-2015, 01:05 PM
MONEY!... i mean players and celebrities get heckled all the time, I dont think they expected Jah to actually do anything about it... so its easy to be the tough guy knowing the players cant do anything... but in this case Jah was a moron and fell right into it and DID do something. Now this guy probably will be set for life off a lawsuit.

crazy how he acted like that even with several people recording.

I'm not defending Jah's actions at all. It's stupid, inexcusable, and irresponsible. Not hard to have a car ready at the back door of the club, even if the hotel is only a block away.

But rather there's usually two wrongs that lead to a situation like that.

I would hope that Okafor is more thick skinned that "You suck", welp got to knock this guy DF out.

nycericanguy
12-02-2015, 01:07 PM
also gotta wonder just how much Okafor drinks... for a dude that size to get that wasted he mustve knocked down 20-30 beers. not good for a guy that already looks kinda chubby at just 19. Once his metabolism slows down its going to be 100x harder to stay in shape. look what happened to that other CHI product Eddy Curry... who actually seems very similar to Jah.

WOwolfOL
12-02-2015, 01:17 PM
sometimes people need to be knocked out... no matter what their size. but if you're 6'11 280 you better be damn careful becasue you outweigh most dudes by almost double. You can kill a dude if his head hits the concrete pavement the wrong way. why risk messing up your entire life over sillyness?

Okafor needs to grow up... a guy his size and playing in the NBA is going to be taunted and heckled all day, if he's gonna be that weak about it his career isnt going to last long.
Exactly what I thought. He's gonna kill somebody or permanently disable somebody if he keeps this **** up

5ass
12-02-2015, 01:22 PM
Wow, what a dumb ***. Hinkie must be crying his eyes out somewhere watching his asset lose value.

CHANGO
12-02-2015, 01:26 PM

Just waiting on 2 one 5 to say he's a young kid and we should look the other way.

What a dumb, immature prick... So sad.

nycericanguy
12-02-2015, 01:31 PM
Wow, what a dumb ***. Hinkie must be crying his eyes out somewhere watching his asset lose value.

I bet Hinkie views his wife and kids as "assets"...lol

Gibby23
12-02-2015, 01:35 PM
also gotta wonder just how much Okafor drinks... for a dude that size to get that wasted he mustve knocked down 20-30 beers. not good for a guy that already looks kinda chubby at just 19. Once his metabolism slows down its going to be 100x harder to stay in shape. look what happened to that other CHI product Eddy Curry... who actually seems very similar to Jah.

Probably not drinking beers.. lol

2-ONE-5
12-02-2015, 01:38 PM

i actually never said that in the first place, good try though

Kyben36
12-02-2015, 02:03 PM
Another fight, not a good set of weeks for okafor. Really needs to get his **** together.

PayDaPiper
12-02-2015, 02:18 PM
How was he in a club drinking at 19 in the first place?

Gibby23
12-02-2015, 02:20 PM

Slipped the bouncer some cash.

GiantsSwaGG
12-02-2015, 02:50 PM

He used a fake ID

warfelg
12-02-2015, 03:46 PM
Slipped the bouncer some cash.

Likely this.

Thinking that a majority of underage celebs don't slip something to a bouncer to get in a club is naive. I mean a Hollywood celeb does it and it's "they were blowing off steam". Johnny Football does it and everyone defends him saying "he's just a kid having fun".

LongIslandIcedZ
12-02-2015, 03:51 PM
He'll probably be suspended at least a few games.

2-ONE-5
12-02-2015, 04:17 PM
initially i thought 1-2 but after this 2nd video im expecting like 7-10 an he deserves it. Hopefully it doesnt bother him tonight like it did last week

mngopher35
12-02-2015, 04:25 PM
initially i thought 1-2 but after this 2nd video im expecting like 7-10 an he deserves it. Hopefully it doesnt bother him tonight like it did last week

Ya after the first video I thought it might be a minor penalty but with this one too it seems like he will get at least a handful of games.

WOwolfOL
12-02-2015, 04:28 PM
Yeah they need to kind of come down hard on this guy to send a real message. 10 games I believe is just. He's a menace to society lol

nycericanguy
12-02-2015, 04:39 PM

yea the first video TMZ said he knocked someone out cold but all we saw was him shove one guy into a car and then roundhouse punch another guy to the ground.

but now we see that he did actually knock a 3rd guy out cold and bloodied. Okafor is lucky man, that guy could have died hitting his head on that concrete pavement like that, or gone into a coma.

also looks like he broke the windows on that store when he ran into it, could have cut his hand open there.

This was bad but it could have been MUCH worse for Okafor.

PeanutPunch33
12-02-2015, 04:45 PM
I don't really have sympathy for the loser that was asking to be put to sleep, but Jahil should know better...especially when cameras are rolling

tredigs
12-02-2015, 04:56 PM
All the money comments are what's going to set this video apart and turn him into an instant pariah in the NBA. No fans will respect Okafor, and the heckling he's going to get from here on out... I do not envy. Better learn how to get thick skin quick, or he's in for a lot more TMZ time.

RLundi
12-02-2015, 05:36 PM
I must be the only one who enjoyed seeing that guy get knocked out cold.

Apart from that, Oak has got to be smarter. You get paid the large sums of money to rise above the commoners, so to speak. Now he's gonna get suspended and sued, and that moronic fan is going to earn money simply for talking ****.

Big loss for Jahlil here.

2-ONE-5
12-02-2015, 05:38 PM
i def enjoyed seeing it lol and if this happened with a Philly fan and a player of another team the media would be ******** all over Philly fans.

RLundi
12-02-2015, 05:42 PM
All the money comments are what's going to set this video apart and turn him into an instant pariah in the NBA. No fans will respect Okafor, and the heckling he's going to get from here on out... I do not envy. Better learn how to get thick skin quick, or he's in for a lot more TMZ time.

I doubt it.

If he's a pariah, it'll be short-lived. Athletes have done FAR worse and the backlash they received was minimal. He can't even legally drink yet. I surmise people will give him as much of a pass as you can reasonably get in this kind of situation.

He'll be suspended for 15 games, there will be debates about athletes conduct and behavior on ESPN, and when Okafor returns, he'll be jeered in nearly every single arena. Then the chatter will subside, the boos will be tempered, and this entire situation be a footnote as part of a disastrous Philadelphia season.

Either way, this post is probably an exaggeration.

RLundi
12-02-2015, 05:45 PM
i def enjoyed seeing it lol and if this happened with a Philly fan and a player of another team the media would be ******** all over Philly fans.

Please stop being a homer, it has nothing to do with Philadelphia for God's sake. A professional athlete who is 7 feet tall PUNCHED a fan in the freaking face and knocked him out cold. Who cares where the fans are from? It's about the player and not the city. How on earth can you be this biased and clueless?

warfelg
12-02-2015, 05:48 PM

Agreed. Which is why even though Okafor royally ****ed up, I feel no sympathy for the guy Okafor went at.

ChicagoFan4Eva
12-02-2015, 06:00 PM
I haven't kept up with this story, did the guy just talk **** or pull a gun on him too?

KINGOFSPORTS
12-02-2015, 06:03 PM
This guy will do jail time before his career is over. Clearly has emotional problems and he's realizing that money won't solve them.

I consider this guy high risk for beating a female

Gibby23
12-02-2015, 06:06 PM
I haven't kept up with this story, did the guy just talk **** or pull a gun on him too?

The gun incident was separate, happened at another time, I believe in Philadelphia

tredigs
12-02-2015, 06:16 PM
I doubt it.

If he's a pariah, it'll be short-lived. Athletes have done FAR worse and the backlash they received was minimal. He can't even legally drink yet. I surmise people will give him as much of a pass as you can reasonably get in this kind of situation.

He'll be suspended for 15 games, there will be debates about athletes conduct and behavior on ESPN, and when Okafor returns, he'll be jeered in nearly every single arena. Then the chatter will subside, the boos will be tempered, and this entire situation be a footnote as part of a disastrous Philadelphia season.

Either way, this post is probably an exaggeration.

You just described a situation where he is given one of the largest suspensions in NBA history and is booed in every arena. You don't describe that as "instant pariah"? I don't even think it will be that bad, lol. 15 games is nearly unprecedented.

My usage of "instant" does not mean lasting. If he turns it around, people are quick to forget crap like this, I fully realize. That said, these are beyond red flags and I'm starting to wonder if this is going to be the start of a long line of public incidents from him.

GiantsSwaGG
12-02-2015, 06:20 PM
Please stop being a homer, it has nothing to do with Philadelphia for God's sake. A professional athlete who is 7 feet tall PUNCHED a fan in the freaking face and knocked him out cold. Who cares where the fans are from? It's about the player and not the city. How on earth can you be this biased and clueless?

He does that a lot lol

But Okafor is lucky nothing happened to him, mess with the wrong ppl and they might shot you

Oh wait he had a gun pulled on him before as well

Ppl laughed when I said he should suspended 10 games. I know he's young with ALOT of room to grow maturity wise but this isn't a good look. Hopefully he learned his lesson and straightens up

JEDean89
12-02-2015, 06:32 PM
We live in a post Malice in the Palace world. The NBA does everything they can to protect their image to create that contrast with football. How many NBA players get arrested every year? Compare that with the NFL. The NBA does not want anything to do with violence or fighting, and spends a lot making sure their player's do not get caught up in the same thing that's bringing the NFL to it's knees. He can't change what happened that night, and he hasn't done anything in addition to his most recent reckless driving ticket. There is a police report, Oka is on tape knocking people out and going after people. The NBA should suspend him soon, hit him with a serious 20+ game one, and nip this in the bud now. Oka needs to learn that he gets paid 5 million dollars to play bball, but to also not do drugs, not do stupid **** with guns or violence, and in general to be a better man than the lowlife fans. He doesn't get to have it both ways, he's either a professional, getting paid to act like it, he can't also be a 19 year old kid. He enters the world of higher excpectations now, and its his responsibility to grow up, humble himself, and focus on basketball, we've seen a lot of fast falls.

JEDean89
12-02-2015, 07:04 PM
2 game suspension from the 76ers

charlsdq7
12-02-2015, 07:05 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14275722/philadelphia-76ers-suspend-rookie-jahlil-okafor-two-games?ex_cid=espnfb

FraziersKnicks
12-02-2015, 07:21 PM
http://www.tmz.com/2015/12/02/jahlil-okafor-fight-second-video-boston/

A 2nd video of the fight... Looking forward to seeing someone defend him here.

Yelling "WE GOT MONEY! YOU KNOW HOW MUCH MONEY I GOT?! BROKE *** *****!" and then clearly being the aggressor in the fight.

Man I am SO glad the Sixers picked this dude before my Knicks. On draft night I was praying he fell to us but I am so glad we got KP instead. Can you imagine this guy trying to play in NYC :laugh2:

KINGOFSPORTS
12-02-2015, 08:08 PM
I'm surprised the Sixers didnt suspend him the rest of the season to help their tanking efforts lol

2-ONE-5
12-03-2015, 10:02 AM

i didnt say it had anything to with Philly dude. read it again. you damn well know had another player hit a fan from Philly for harassing him we would have hear the media spend a week talking about how we threw batteries at JD Drew and snowballs at Santa 50 years ago.