PDA

View Full Version : Andre Drummond Top 5 Player - Yes or No?

Howard_Zinn
11-26-2015, 12:11 AM
His value to the Pistons is ridiculous..

Is he a top 5 player RIGHT NOW in the NBA?

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/8a94fd5d567af75be6031cf4f21b596c17c8d0f9/c=944-948-3889-3162&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2014/12/21/DetroitFreePress/DetroitFreePress/635548025829382813-AP-Pistons-Nets-Basketball-N.jpg

18.1 ppg
17.8 rpg
1.7 spg
1.6 bpg
.535 FG
24.49 PER (ESPN)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZOWmCcKSBY

Gander13SM
11-26-2015, 12:17 AM
I count Curry, Davis, Durant, LeBron and one of; Westbrook, Griffin or Leonard. As my top 5 right now. Harden would normally be there but his form is awful right now.

Drummond has been a MONSTER. Top 4 or 5 at his position easy (I'm prepared to argue top 2).

But top 5 player in general? Nah.

tredigs
11-26-2015, 12:36 AM
By this do you mean has he been a top 5 player this month? Probably not, but he's in the discussion.

Obviously overall no, he's not close. The rebounding is amazing but that's the jist of what he's giving at an elite level.

tredigs
11-26-2015, 12:40 AM
Has his defense been out of this world dominant? I haven't watched too much of the Pistons this season, but it certainly wasn't before leading up to this season. That would be something that could bring him into the discussion if it were the case. A guy who relies on put-backs and simple paint moves for his solid point production, but can't hit a free throw or create for others what so ever needs to be the most dominant defender in the game to enter a top 5 discussion.

Howard_Zinn
11-26-2015, 12:45 AM
I just want to get some opinions and then pull this thread up later in the season and see what people thought. He looks dominant to me.. Watch that video, yikes.. If that's not the closest we've seen to Shaq, I don't know what is. Drummond has a legit post game. It's not polished yet either. He's 22 years old.

tredigs
11-26-2015, 12:48 AM
I'll have to watch some more games if his game has been that much improved.

His size+athleticism are among the best in NBA history and players like him have a very good chance of dominance if they stay healthy. He's always seemed like a cool dude too. And yeah, extremely young. Here's hoping the dominance is real.

Howard_Zinn
11-26-2015, 12:48 AM
Drummond plays for the rebound too. It's why he doesn't average a ton of blocks.. He's defending very well this year. He's also staying on the court.. Think he averages around 35 mins a game.. That's great for a big.. His numbers could be historic.. If he reaches 18/18, we're talking over 40 years historic.

Howard_Zinn
11-26-2015, 12:50 AM
I'll have to watch some more games if his game has been that much improved.

His size+athleticism are among the best in NBA history and players like him have a very good chance of dominance if they stay healthy. He's always seemed like a cool dude too. And yeah, extremely young. Here's hoping the dominance is real.

You can tell he worked for it.. You don't just magically grow a post game. Hoping he stays healthy too.

Scoots
11-26-2015, 01:20 AM
Individual defensive rebounding is way over-rated and does not have a strong corollary to winning basketball games. That said, he is an elite offensive rebounder and his offensive game as a whole is really coming on strong.

Top 5? Not close.

Arch Stanton
11-26-2015, 01:20 AM
He's a beast, but I don't think he's TOP 5 yet. The Pistons are barely a playoff team right now, granted its early. So he'll have to win a series or two in the playoffs before he's ranked that high.

dalton749
11-26-2015, 01:40 AM
Definitely not. Id say on the back end of top 30, great rebounding but still terrible offensively for someone who plays so close to the basket

slaker619
11-26-2015, 01:51 AM
Yes !! GIVE THIS MAN MORE MONEY !!

Bostonjorge
11-26-2015, 02:42 AM
He's playing like a top 5 player but he's not a top 5 player. 17 Rebs a game is crazy but it's not a full season average so let's wait and see.

Gander13SM
11-26-2015, 03:28 AM
Definitely not. Id say on the back end of top 30, great rebounding but still terrible offensively for someone who plays so close to the basket

He's really improved his post game. His up and under and hook shot are far beyond what he had last year.

tsubibo
11-26-2015, 04:21 AM
He has drastically improved his game, but I think he is not yet a top 5 player. Maybe he is one in his position.

WaDe03
11-26-2015, 04:57 AM
Hell no lol.

MonroeFAN
11-26-2015, 06:20 AM
Hell no lol.

It'll be alright buddy.

But as a Pistons fan, no, definitely not. I would put him around 10-13 area personally. Definitely not back 30. Clearly Jonas's boyfriend has not seen him play this year.

WaDe03
11-26-2015, 12:38 PM
It'll be alright buddy.

But as a Pistons fan, no, definitely not. I would put him around 10-13 area personally. Definitely not back 30. Clearly Jonas's boyfriend has not seen him play this year.

I'm good lol don't be cocky after a win were still ahead of yall in the standings. As for this it was a dumb question he's not even top 15. He the 2nd best Center though.

da ThRONe
11-26-2015, 01:45 PM
Top 5 not now, but I'd take him ahead of the other AD. He's looking like a young Shaq. People if you aren't watching Drummond you should. He's not just getting out backs. He has great touch and his post play is looking unstoppable most the time this year. He show drop steps, counter to drop steps, quick hooks with both hands, running hooks, and power moves.

BKLYNpigeon
11-26-2015, 02:06 PM
Who cares about these frivolous rankings. Drummand is having a great season, just enjoy it and watch him grow.

dalton749
11-26-2015, 02:28 PM
It'll be alright buddy.

Curry
Lebron
Durant
Davis
Westbrook
George
Leonard
Lowry
Griffin
Butler
Wall
Green
Anthony
Cousins
Harden

Bledsoe
Paul
Aldridge
Bosh
Love
Wiggins
Lillard
Derozan
Gobert

Drummond is still somewhere in that list of the second group IMO (closer to the top of it, but still out of the top 15, which is the back half of the top 30)

MonroeFAN
11-26-2015, 02:31 PM
Actually that's fair, sorry for the insults.

And wade, I haven't been cocky about a win. All I saw was your fan base saying how much we sucked. That is entirely unnecessary after a 20+ loss. I sure as hell wouldn't be cocky after getting blown out. No one is suggesting that the Pistons are better, just like I wouldn't suggest that the bucks are better after blowing us out the other night. But enough is enough.

WaDe03
11-26-2015, 03:06 PM
Actually that's fair, sorry for the insults.

And wade, I haven't been cocky about a win. All I saw was your fan base saying how much we sucked. That is entirely unnecessary after a 20+ loss. I sure as hell wouldn't be cocky after getting blown out. No one is suggesting that the Pistons are better, just like I wouldn't suggest that the bucks are better after blowing us out the other night. But enough is enough.

People say **** like that when their teams are playing terrible and it doesn't help that our 2 best players came out with absolutely no effort which is very frustrating. Yall definitely kicked our *** last night though. Hoping we play better when we play yall in a month and hoping yall don't have a top 3 shooting night in team history again lol.

tredigs
11-26-2015, 03:31 PM
Playing like a young Shaq lol. You guys, Shaq at Drummond's was an absolutely dominant force/transcendent talent who was leading his team to the NBA Finals through Jordan's Bulls and averaging close to 30 a night. Teams had absolutely no answer for him. You haven't seen young Shaq if you're serious with that comparison.

ManningToTyree
11-26-2015, 04:11 PM
No way but he is an unbelievable rebounding talent and he is only 22. He just needs to refine his post game which he already has made progress in

Scoots
11-26-2015, 04:35 PM
Drummond isn't in the top 30 yet. But he's closing fast.

sens#11fan
11-26-2015, 06:33 PM
He's in the top 20-30 IMO, but he has tons of potential. Kevin Love put up 26 ppg and 13 rpg in his minny days and he was not considered at top 5-10.

tredigs
11-26-2015, 06:35 PM
An interview came out today with Jerry West explaining how Draymond Green is a top 10 player in the NBA. Drummond or Draymond Green would be a fun argument.

mrblisterdundee
11-26-2015, 07:20 PM
I count Curry, Davis, Durant, LeBron and one of; Westbrook, Griffin or Leonard. As my top 5 right now. Harden would normally be there but his form is awful right now.

Drummond has been a MONSTER. Top 4 or 5 at his position easy (I'm prepared to argue top 2).

I would say Andre Drummond a top-two or -three center right now, next to DeMarcus Cousins and Hassan Whiteside. He could be knocked down a peg if you choose to call Anthony Davis a center.
DeAndre Jordan and Marc Gasol are still the better defenders, but they're both kind of slumping by their standards. And the Pistons are doing significantly better than before, including their top-10 defense.
Drummond might have far to go on both ends, but he's certainly a big part of that defense. That's why he got a vote for the all-defense second team. He's only 22 years old, and with his size and athleticism, he has the ability to guard any front court position. As is often the case with Drummond, he just needs polishing.

MonroeFAN
11-26-2015, 08:02 PM
Drummond isn't in the top 30 yet. But he's closing fast.

Isn't top 30? Come on now scoots, let's hear it.

Happy thanksgiving btw sir.

likemystylez
11-26-2015, 08:54 PM
Isn't top 30? Come on now scoots, let's hear it.

Happy thanksgiving btw sir.

On the pistons, yes he is top 5. in the nba definitely not

MonroeFAN
11-26-2015, 09:03 PM
What a stupid comment

JWO35
11-26-2015, 10:46 PM
lol Top 5 on the Pistons :laugh2:

IMO Drummond is somewhere between 25-30 and he's only 22yrs old so he's going to be rising in rank as he gets older...As far as big men go(PF/C) you could probably make a case for him being Top 10

JasonJohnHorn
11-27-2015, 01:41 AM
No. He is amazing, but I'm not even sure I'd have him top ten.

his skill set remains too limited. He's got a lot of energy, but he needs better post moves, and little range, and he needs to be able to pass the ball. Most importantly, he needs to be able to anchor a defense. He's good, but he's not Alonzo Mourning or Dikembe or Big Ben good when it comes to defending the middle.If his defense was THAT good, I'd throw him in top five even without the range or passing, but as is, he's really just an amazing rebounder with solid defense. One could argue that DaJ played better last season.

I'm a Pistons fan, so I'm trying to temper my bias, but all-around skill set is important to me.

LBJ, Curry, and KD are up near the top for me along with AD. And CP3 aint' far behind. Westy is playing great ball right now, and so is Paul George. Harden's efficiency is a little down, but he's still a great player. Then there is Blake and Leonard. I'd be hard pressed to say that Drummond is better than any of those guys.

Right now he is just AMAZING as one thing, pretty good at another, and not terribly good at anything else. He's important to Detroit because they have so many $#!TTY shooters on their team, but you put him on a team like GSW, and he'd look a lot less impressive

I'm hopeful for the future with him, but he's still polishing of the edges.

Sadds The Gr8
11-27-2015, 02:23 AM
**** no

ewing
11-27-2015, 10:18 AM
No. He is amazing, but I'm not even sure I'd have him top ten.

his skill set remains too limited. He's got a lot of energy, but he needs better post moves, and little range, and he needs to be able to pass the ball. Most importantly, he needs to be able to anchor a defense. He's good, but he's not Alonzo Mourning or Dikembe or Big Ben good when it comes to defending the middle.If his defense was THAT good, I'd throw him in top five even without the range or passing, but as is, he's really just an amazing rebounder with solid defense. One could argue that DaJ played better last season.

I'm a Pistons fan, so I'm trying to temper my bias, but all-around skill set is important to me.

LBJ, Curry, and KD are up near the top for me along with AD. And CP3 aint' far behind. Westy is playing great ball right now, and so is Paul George. Harden's efficiency is a little down, but he's still a great player. Then there is Blake and Leonard. I'd be hard pressed to say that Drummond is better than any of those guys.

Right now he is just AMAZING as one thing, pretty good at another, and not terribly good at anything else. He's important to Detroit because they have so many $#!TTY shooters on their team, but you put him on a team like GSW, and he'd look a lot less impressive

I'm hopeful for the future with him, but he's still polishing of the edges.

What are your thoughts on Reggie Jackson this year? Where does he rank as far as Eastern point guards?

JasonJohnHorn
11-27-2015, 11:01 AM
What are your thoughts on Reggie Jackson this year? Where does he rank as far as Eastern point guards?

To be honest, I was more impressed with his play in Detroit last year.

His 3pt shot is decent: 35% ain't bad. But to be elite, his FGs inside the arc are a little on the low side. He's pretty good a drawing fouls, but not great at it. What spoils it for me is the assist number. Last year he was dishing out 9 assist with the Pistons (small sample size, granted), and this year he's handing out 6, but he's creating more turnovers. One might argue it's because he's creating more shots for himself, but his FG attempts are only up 1 from last year, while his assists are down 3, meaning that still about 2 less possessions with more turnovers.

So the FG% is a concern for me, as is the assist-to-turnover ration and assist per36. I'm not enamoured with Jackson, but I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm even more optimistic that Brandon Jennings stays injured all year, because having him on the court is not going to help matters. I might be down on Jackson because in the first few games he was shooting woefully, and I have that kinda stuck in my head right now; I think, judging from the stats, his shooting has improved a little over the last six games. He's always a solid rebounder for his position though. I like that.

As for ranking among Eastern guards: Obviously Wall and Irving are light years ahead of him. I think it's safe to say he's playing better than Rose and Dragic. I'd likely take Lowry over Jackson (though Jackson's 2pt% is higher, Lowry's A2T ratio is better and he's clearly the better 3pt shooter). It's hard to compare him with the 'point guard' for Indy, because Ellis, George and Hill are splitting up ball handling duties. I'd take Teague over Jackson right now. Jarrett Jack is playing some pretty decent ball right now, but I'd rather have Jackson going forward because he's younger and he's putting up his numbers on a team that's in a position to win games.

So.... assuming we have a healthy Irving, PGs in the east would go as follow

Wall/Irving (I'll put Wall ahead right now because he's actually playing)
Lowry/Teague (in whatever order you like)
Kemba Walker (who has DRASTICALLY improved his shooting so far this year)
Jackson
Jack

Dragic just isn't playing as well as he did with the Suns, NY isn't utilizing Calderon, Thomas is an inefficient score, even if he plays with a lot of heart, MCW is still a woeful shooter. Rose is playing like a rookie. Indy doesn't run a conventional 'point guard' system. Payton is shooting like a Johnny Flynn. Philly's got some undrafted rookie running the shot (he's not all bad either).

likemystylez
11-27-2015, 11:43 AM
What a stupid comment

Ummmm yeah and someone with the name monroe fan still rooting for the pistons. he plays for the bucks now yknow

JasonJohnHorn
11-27-2015, 12:22 PM
Ummmm yeah and someone with the name monroe fan still rooting for the pistons. he plays for the bucks now yknow

Oh, give MonroeFAN a break. He's a Piston's fan at heart... he just made an account when the Piston's were riding high on Monroe.

Like DoMeFavors did as a BK fan.

FlashBolt
11-28-2015, 02:42 AM
He's definitely not a top five player. James, Harden, Curry, Durant, Westbrook, Paul George, Davis, and Blake are better than him. I like Drummond's game a lot but I also don't see him as a go-to guy to win games when need be.

Ironman5219
11-28-2015, 06:00 PM

This

Scoots
11-30-2015, 11:43 AM
I don't value defensive rebound numbers, he's shooting .410 on FTs.

He's got game, and he's getting better ... he's just not there yet.