PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade Klay Thompson for Russell Westbrook?

NetsPaint
11-19-2015, 09:37 PM
Obviously there's much, much less reason and chance of the Thunder doing this, and, I don't see why the Warriors would this, but, the thought of that backcourt is exciting.

Both are playing out of their mind right now. Westbrook doesn't have Klay's height, but he plays big, in a way. His athleticism and intensity is as high as anyone's. People also think he's a natural SG. However, people have been saying he's seeing the floor better this season. Also, just because he scores a lot doesn't make him not a true PG. Different players lead in different ways. The problem people will think is both need the ball in their hands a lot.

Klay at his best is killer. That game he had where he scored the most in a quarter in NBA history, was a sight to see. He earned the title of being one half of the splash brothers before that. Obviously, he's a great fit next to Curry, and there's no reason to make a change now for any SG (would also be weird seeing those two apart in their young careers, especially winning the championship last season).

Is there any scenario where you think this would work out for either or both teams?

Splash Brothers or the Splash And Slash Brothers?

This is more of a fun thread, because, heck, I'd just love to see those two play together. I don't actually think changes should be made.

BHF
11-19-2015, 10:40 PM
Klay at his best is just a normal Westbrook. This shouldn't even be a question of course you trade Klay for Westbook 10 out of 10 times.

Allphakenny1
11-19-2015, 10:52 PM
Westbrook is clearly a better player than Thompson, but Westbrook next to Curry would not be a good thing. Westbrook is one of those players who needs the ball in his hands to be effective. He dominates the ball at one of the most, if not the most, of any player in the league. It would be nice for someone else to dominate the ball and do the difficult work for Curry, but taking the ball out of Curry's hands is never a good thing. Basically, Curry should have the ball in his hands far more than Westbrook, but I am not sure Westbrook would allow that.

lol, please
11-19-2015, 11:09 PM
Klay at his best is just a normal Westbrook. This shouldn't even be a question of course you trade Klay for Westbook 10 out of 10 times.
Give me Klay over Westbrook with a gun to my head. Better defense, more efficient, more versatile.

goingfor28
11-19-2015, 11:37 PM
Yes. Westy is easily the better player.

Alayla
11-20-2015, 12:00 AM
Westbrook is in another class entirely the fact this is a question is a bit insulting (dont get me wrong i understand fit and teamplay as well as anyone) but you dont pass on Westbrook if the offer is there you just make it work. If anything Westbrook at the 1 with Curry at the 2 might even make both players shine more! Curry would be a menace off the ball and no way does he not find a wide open 3 every now and then with how much attention westbrook draws.

Azzacadabra
11-20-2015, 12:13 AM
If I'm the Warriors I'd be of the mindset: If it aint broke don't fix it.

xnick5757
11-20-2015, 12:21 AM
in a vacuum, yes

but it doesn't make sense for either team

Yashimack
11-20-2015, 12:25 AM
Yes in a heart beat and let curry play catch and shoot and westy attack.

PowerHouse
11-20-2015, 12:30 AM
Sure, I'll trade a $5 bill for a $20 bill.

LA_Raiders
11-20-2015, 12:42 AM
No question

ewing
11-20-2015, 12:44 AM
absolutely not

FlashBolt
11-20-2015, 01:06 AM
Hell yes... and then trade Westbrook for a legit superstar.. None of you guys would qualify as a good GM.

Hawkeye15
11-20-2015, 01:25 AM
Klay over Westbrook? hahahahahaha

That being said, the trade is crap to begin with. GS has an above average starting PG already...

Alayla
11-20-2015, 01:39 AM
Hell yes... and then trade Westbrook for a legit superstar.. None of you guys would qualify as a good GM.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3468/russell-westbrook
Please tell me your ****ing kidding me. it doesn't get much more *legit* than this.

WaDe03
11-20-2015, 01:46 AM
Wtf lol? Would you trade Dragic for Curry? The heats only need is a consistent 3 point shooter so might as well bring in the best ever.

FlashBolt
11-20-2015, 01:54 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3468/russell-westbrook
Please tell me your ****ing kidding me. it doesn't get much more *legit* than this.

I probably didn't word that correctly. I don't think Westbrook+Curry meshes very well since both are technically scorers first. Klay isn't a superstar so I said get Westbrook and trade Westbrook for a legit superstar in another position. Ex: Slide Barnes into the SG position and since the C position is probably your weakest, try to get a better one.

TrueFan420
11-20-2015, 02:13 AM
Westbrook is obviously the better player but Klay is equally obviously the better fit for the Warriors. Wouldn't like the mix of curry Westbrook. Westbrook needs the ball in his hands more and while he isn't a bad defender the loss of klays length would hurt the Warriors. Part of our special defense is the fact that when we go small we can switch everything with Klay, Iggy, Barnes, green or even Livingston all being somewhere between 6-7 to 6-9.

G_S_W
11-20-2015, 02:56 AM
Westbrook + basketball = lulz

TheNumber37
11-20-2015, 03:32 AM
No for both teams.

Curry and Westbrook backcourt?

Why would you take the ball OUT of Curry's hands that much.

If your OKC, you just lost your lead guard and initiator of offense for another shooter to maybe play with KD

More-Than-Most
11-20-2015, 03:48 AM
Give me Klay over Westbrook with a gun to my head. Better defense, more efficient, more versatile.

Just stop man... they arent close... you could trade Westy for 3 of klay if you got Westy for Klay.

numba1CHANGsta
11-20-2015, 03:52 AM
Thompson isn't a ball hog like Westbrook, so I'd prefer Curry-Thompson over Curry-Westbrook

McAllen Tx
11-20-2015, 12:03 PM
I would trade 2 Klays for 1 Westbrook

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-20-2015, 12:06 PM
Like mentioned. Thunder easily says no unless Warriors add more to the trade.

Scoots
11-20-2015, 02:54 PM
in a vacuum, yes

This.

slashsnake
11-21-2015, 08:55 AM
Hmmm, but you are easily getting more talent on both ends of the floor. In nearly every single aspect of the game. And lets say things don't work out. Ok trade him for a better asset in a position of need.

There's what? 5 players maybe that teams would say no to if you dangled Westbrook out there? You want Cousins or Drummond, sure. Maybe want Butler who does a lot of things better than Klay but you think won't need to dominate the ball? Ok. At the end of the year you might have a package NOP wants for Davis if he wants out. I'd take it to be honest. But yeah, it is a tough call.

KnicksorBust
11-21-2015, 09:12 AM
in a vacuum, yes

This.

Was waiting to hear from a rational Warriors fan. The majority of people would rather start a team with Westbrook but there is no way the Warriors would be better with Westbrook. He takes the ball out of the best player in the world's hands and he can't space the floor. Can't do it.

A team like Gstate that is already deep and balanced can afford to choose fit over talent here.

Redrum187
11-21-2015, 09:29 AM
I know the Spurs love Kawhi, but I think they'd gladly hand over Kawhi for Westbrook. GSW would just need to flip Westbrook and get Kawhi + Danny Green.

PG: Stephen Curry
SG: Danny Green/Harrison Barnes
SF: Kawhi Lenonard
PF: Draymond Green
C: Andrew Bogut

Quinnsanity
11-21-2015, 12:15 PM
It depends on the team. If you're Houston, or the Clippers, a team with a great primary ball-handler, you take Klay without a second thought. But if you're building from scratch, or if you're a team with a great big (Detroit, New Orleans, Sacramento) take Russ. Russ has more raw value, but Klay has more value to certain teams.

Quinnsanity
11-21-2015, 12:17 PM
Oh and for the record, Golden State already had to make a similar decision to this. Oklahoma City offered them Harden for Klay and they said no. Obviously neither were at the level they're at now, but it goes to show that the Warriors were never going to take the talent upgrade over fit.

Raps18-19 Champ
11-21-2015, 12:22 PM
Not with Curry on the team.

lol, please
11-21-2015, 01:31 PM
Oh and for the record, Golden State already had to make a similar decision to this. Oklahoma City offered them Harden for Klay and they said no. Obviously neither were at the level they're at now, but it goes to show that the Warriors were never going to take the talent upgrade over fit.
Yup, good post. A lot of people forget thst offseason.

JesusNYY_Savior
11-21-2015, 01:43 PM
No curry shines with the ball in his hands the fit is horrible and basketball is a team game not individuals

jerellh528
11-21-2015, 03:33 PM
Yes obviously just for value alone, Westbrook is a much better player. Also not convinced that a Westbrook- curry backcourt wouldn't work.

kdspurman
11-21-2015, 03:44 PM
If I'm okc? Not a chance...

Bostonjorge
11-21-2015, 08:23 PM
Klay is no Westbrook but I see Klay for what he is. A pre superstar and a A+ number 2 player on a championship team.

Allphakenny1
11-21-2015, 09:02 PM
Yes obviously just for value alone, Westbrook is a much better player. Also not convinced that a Westbrook- curry backcourt wouldn't work.

A Westbrook/Curry backcourt could work. The thing is, the Warriors should take a shot if they were not a great team or constantly competing and not getting over the hump. However, they just won a championship and are 14-0 so the talent upgrade is not worth the risk of messing up team chemistry.

kyubi256
11-22-2015, 12:03 AM
Of course you'd make this trade... 10 times out of 10. It's like asking if you would trade Dion Waiters for Steph Curry.

Someone as good as Russell Westbrook (top 5 player in the NBA), you figure out how to make it work.

JasonJohnHorn
11-22-2015, 01:10 AM
Trades are about more than talent; they are about chemistry.

If I was GSW I wouldn't mess with this chemistry.

Now if I had at team like the 76ers and I had Klay, I'd trade him for Westy in a heartbeat.

lol, please
11-22-2015, 11:55 AM
Klay would have the Sixers in the playoffs.

Alayla
11-22-2015, 12:12 PM
Klay would have the Sixers in the playoffs.

Nope but Westbrook would.

Gander13SM
11-22-2015, 01:08 PM
If I'm the Warriors, no way. Not unless I'm planning to flip him.

If im any other team and Klay is the best player on my roster, I definitely do that trade.

aman_13
11-22-2015, 01:12 PM
Nope.

Corey
11-22-2015, 01:18 PM

Depends on the team.

If you're relying on Klay to be the alpha dog, of course you'd rather have Westbrook.

Golden State has Steph, though. You dont need another #1.

Klay offers more length and positional versatility, and he fits next to Steph better than Westbrook would. Klay doesnt need the ball in his hands to be effective, and his style of play fits perfectly with what Golden State wants to do.

Scoots
11-22-2015, 01:23 PM
Was waiting to hear from a rational Warriors fan. The majority of people would rather start a team with Westbrook but there is no way the Warriors would be better with Westbrook. He takes the ball out of the best player in the world's hands and he can't space the floor. Can't do it.

A team like Gstate that is already deep and balanced can afford to choose fit over talent here.

It's kind of sad that people seem to think I am the only rational Warriors fan :)

If the Warriors didn't have Curry ... maybe

Scoots
11-22-2015, 01:30 PM
Of course you'd make this trade... 10 times out of 10. It's like asking if you would trade Dion Waiters for Steph Curry.

Someone as good as Russell Westbrook (top 5 player in the NBA), you figure out how to make it work.

A little SAT review:

Westbrook is to Thompson as Curry is to ? Waiters? No. Hell no.

phantasyyy
11-22-2015, 01:55 PM
I know the Spurs love Kawhi, but I think they'd gladly hand over Kawhi for Westbrook. GSW would just need to flip Westbrook and get Kawhi + Danny Green.

PG: Stephen Curry
SG: Danny Green/Harrison Barnes
SF: Kawhi Lenonard
PF: Draymond Green
C: Andrew Bogut

uhh no? lol westbrook is like the anti-spur..

Gander13SM
11-22-2015, 02:41 PM
Popovich might genuinely kill Westbrook if he had to coach him.

Scoots
11-22-2015, 03:06 PM

That's what occurred to me when I first saw that. Particularly with Westbrook being seen/heard saying "******* that" coming out of a huddle after Donovan called a play followed by Westbrook playing hero ball. That happening 1 time with Pop would be a blowup, the 2nd time would be murder. :)

Gander13SM
11-22-2015, 03:27 PM
That's what occurred to me when I first saw that. Particularly with Westbrook being seen/heard saying "******* that" coming out of a huddle after Donovan called a play followed by Westbrook playing hero ball. That happening 1 time with Pop would be a blowup, the 2nd time would be murder. :)

I missed that lmao. Is it on youtube or documented anywhere?

Scoots
11-22-2015, 03:50 PM
I missed that lmao. Is it on youtube or documented anywhere?

Don't remember where I got that, I do remember being surprised it would get there so quickly.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-22-2015, 04:06 PM
I'd trade my life for Westbrook.

Klay is garbage if compared to Westy.

Wrigheyes4MVP
11-23-2015, 01:51 AM
If I'm the Warriors, I'm not making this trade. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Westbrook would just take the ball out of Curry's hands. That does not mean Klay is a better player than Westbrook. It just means the Warriors are better off with Klay.

JasonJohnHorn
11-24-2015, 02:09 AM

LMAO.

I'm not sure there is a 'maybe' about that.

That said, I think Pop would have a heart attack if he had to coach Iverson.

lol, please
11-24-2015, 03:41 AM
Klay would ruin Westbrook 1v1

Jeffy25
11-24-2015, 03:44 AM
Westbrook is clearly the better player among the two

But Curry and Westbrook on the court at the same time would be awful

This makes no sense...anywhere

FlashBolt
11-24-2015, 01:49 PM
Klay would ruin Westbrook 1v1

Are you still here?

TrueFan420
11-24-2015, 02:17 PM
Are you still here?
Dont bite on that dude he's just trying to troll you.

ManningToTyree
11-24-2015, 02:40 PM
The Warriors shouldn't do anything right now

lol, please
11-24-2015, 02:43 PM
Dont bite on that dude he's just trying to troll you.
Klay has more length, is better defensively, and is a better shooter. Klay would skunk him.

SPURSFAN1
11-24-2015, 02:57 PM
Why would OKC lose a top 5 player in the league? :laugh:

Jayb587
11-24-2015, 03:11 PM
OKC would never make this trade. I don't think there is a player in the league they would take for westbrook. and BTW Klay is and has always been overrated. I think people are finnaly seeing this year that dray is the 2nd best player on that team.

TrueFan420
11-24-2015, 03:19 PM
Klay has more length, is better defensively, and is a better shooter. Klay would skunk him.

And Klays game isn't built on 1v1 skills.

lol, please
11-24-2015, 03:22 PM
And Klays game isn't built on 1v1 skills.
Agreed, and in a way a players focus shouldn't be on 1v1 anyway, but I'm just saying that his skillset translates well in 1v1 play.

For the same reason I also said last year Klay would beat s guy like Harden, who relies on exterior variables like refs and screens to be effective

tredigs
11-24-2015, 05:19 PM
Both teams would hang up the phone before the other GM had a chance to finish their sentence. The only reason the Warriors would entertain it would be in order to flip Westbrook for say, Middleton + Giannis. But even then Myers probably would not bother disrupting the teams chemistry.

Presti would laugh at the audacity of Myers if he proposed this.

Allphakenny1
11-24-2015, 06:26 PM
OKC would never make this trade. I don't think there is a player in the league they would take for westbrook. and BTW Klay is and has always been overrated. I think people are finnaly seeing this year that dray is the 2nd best player on that team.

I think Green being the 2nd best player on the Warriors does not show that Thompson was overrated, but that Green was underrated.

Gander13SM
11-24-2015, 06:38 PM
I think Green being the 2nd best player on the Warriors does not show that Thompson was overrated, but that Green was underrated.

Amen to that.

I'm probably the only person saying this but Green might be a little underpaid at this point lmao.

Scoots
11-24-2015, 06:46 PM
Amen to that.

I'm probably the only person saying this but Green might be a little underpaid at this point lmao.

Considering that he's been compared (ludicrously) to LeBron this year you are probably not the only one.

FlashBolt
11-25-2015, 02:52 AM
Warriors are wayyyy too deep. It's insane how healthy they all are as well. Their biggest injury has been Bogut/Lee -- two guys who have been replaced painlessly with Green/Ezeli.

tredigs
11-25-2015, 03:27 AM
Considering that he's been compared (ludicrously) to LeBron this year you are probably not the only one.

I've never heard that one. Comparison doesn't make sense, either. Dray's far more important defensively, and Lebron offensively. Draymond being a versatile enough defender to allow the Warriors to unleash one of the more unstoppable 5 man lineups ever is reason enough to give him a max, though. That's for sure. Truly, he may be the best example of a "swiss army knife" player on both ends of the floor that we've seen in this league... ever?

5ass
11-25-2015, 03:52 AM
OKC can have Payton, Fournier, and Vucevic for Westbrook.
Payton
Fournier
Durant
Ibaka
Vucevic

Gives the Thunder a deeper team with a starting line up that fits well together. Westbrook is a beast so I'm sure the Thunder still say no here, but its fun to dream.

Westbrook
Oladipo
Hezonja
Gordon/Harris
Smith/Dedmon

BHF
11-25-2015, 05:16 AM
OKC can have Payton, Fournier, and Vucevic for Westbrook.
Payton
Fournier
Durant
Ibaka
Vucevic

Gives the Thunder a deeper team with a starting line up that fits well together. Westbrook is a beast so I'm sure the Thunder still say no here, but its fun to dream.

Westbrook
Oladipo
Hezonja
Gordon/Harris
Smith/Dedmon

You might have to add Oladipo and Gordon and Hezonja and your coach for the Thunder to accept that deal.

koreancabbage
11-25-2015, 10:53 AM
if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

5ass
11-25-2015, 07:53 PM
You might have to add Oladipo and Gordon and Hezonja and your coach for the Thunder to accept that deal.

Still better than just Klay Thompson.

xcvnhj
11-26-2015, 06:36 AM
Klay at his best is just a normal Westbrook. This shouldn't even be a question of course you trade Klay for Westbook 10 out of 10 times. http://computerstalk.com/red/images/42.gif http://computerstalk.com/red/images/41.gif http://computerstalk.com/red/images/40.gif

lol, please
11-26-2015, 07:44 PM
Klay has more tools, and better defense

mrblisterdundee
11-29-2015, 01:01 AM
Westbrook is a better player, but the fit is horrible, so no. The Warriors are as close to perfect as any NBA team has ever been.

Sandman
11-29-2015, 01:05 AM
Klay is a better fit. No reason to take the ball out of Curry's hands and KT might be the best pure shooter that is not Curry. Westbrook is better attacking the rim but Klay adds space to the floor as a way better spot shooter.

With that said it wouldn't sense for the Thunder either.