PDA

View Full Version : Disco Dirk and the Mavs

phantasyyy
11-19-2015, 06:24 PM
Was glancing around the NBA website and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised to see the mavs sitting at 8-4.. obviously its only 12 games into the season but wow that's surprising that their 3rd in the conference(every other team is struggling I know). They've also had a pretty easy schedule but currently riding a 5 game win streak(Clips, Lakers, Rox, 76ers, Celtics).

So then I just had to see how Disco Dirk was doing in his 18th season and all, especially with Kobe struggling mightily.. and wow..

18.5ppg/7reb/1.5ast shooting 52/50/91 and he is only playing 28.6mins :speechless:

He has really picked scoring load especially with Matthews and Parsons working their way back from injury. These #s are more than likely not sustainable for the whole 82. But wow not bad for the 37 year old German..

Makes you wonder how much better they would've been with Deandre starting.

KnicksorBust
11-19-2015, 07:33 PM
Was glancing around the NBA website and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised to see the mavs sitting at 8-4.. obviously its only 12 games into the season but wow that's surprising that their 3rd in the conference(every other team is struggling I know). They've also had a pretty easy schedule but currently riding a 5 game win streak(Clips, Lakers, Rox, 76ers, Celtics).

So then I just had to see how Disco Dirk was doing in his 18th season and all, especially with Kobe struggling mightily.. and wow..

18.5ppg/7reb/1.5ast shooting 52/50/91 and he is only playing 28.6mins :speechless:

He has really picked scoring load especially with Matthews and Parsons working their way back from injury. These #s are more than likely not sustainable for the whole 82. But wow not bad for the 37 year old German..

Makes you wonder how much better they would've been with Deandre starting.

I almost don't want to talk about them bc you hit it on the head. With DJ this team could still come out of the West. Instead they will pretend they are relevant all season until they cant fake it. I would love to see Dirk on another team before his career ends.

tredigs
11-19-2015, 07:45 PM
Realistically they're around a .500 team. Slightly better. DAJ wasn't the difference between coming out of the West or not, come on now. Love to see Dirk still bringing it though. Not sure he can maintain quite this level all year, but it's nice to see none the less.

KnicksorBust
11-19-2015, 08:01 PM
With DJ I would call them a wash with any West team but SAS and GState.

tredigs
11-19-2015, 08:13 PM

They'd be lunch meat for OKC (if they can get there healthy) as well. I guess I'd give them the advantage over the Clips seeing as DAJ isn't on the Clips in this hypothetical. But regardless, no way they're beating SAS or GState. Just looked and they rank 18th and 11th in O+D efficiency and have a +1.4 differential, which all feels about right. They're a slightly better than .500 team. With DJ a lower seed playoff team.

phantasyyy
11-19-2015, 09:26 PM
They'd be lunch meat for OKC (if they can get there healthy) as well. I guess I'd give them the advantage over the Clips seeing as DAJ isn't on the Clips in this hypothetical. But regardless, no way they're beating SAS or GState. Just looked and they rank 18th and 11th in O+D efficiency and have a +1.4 differential, which all feels about right. They're a slightly better than .500 team. With DJ a lower seed playoff team.

They've also pretty much been without their best player in Parson for a majority of the games, hes only averaging about 16mpg while he works his way back from injury. Matthews coming back from that Achilles injury and a new pg in Williams running the show and they've just haven't had the time to gel yet.

Not to mention the highly touted JAVAAAALE MCGEEEEE hasn't made his debut yet either haha.

Imo I think they have what it takes to snag a 7/8th spot. I do like their chances vs Phx, Denver, Sacramento and Minnesota to take those spots.

W/ Golden State, San Antonio, Clippers, OKC, Memphis, and Houston all locks to make the playoffs. With Dallas and Utah as the last two seeds?

Thumper 88
11-20-2015, 11:02 AM
With Parsons minutes start ticking up so will the Mavs.

I wasn't expecting a low seed playoffs but with the way they are playing they shouldn't have a problem making 7-8 seed.

Dirk is playing very well at his age which should (for all the people that have KG above him) move him above KG on the all time PF rankings if he's not already.

He will be passing Shaq some time soon in points in the next couple months

YAALREADYKNO
11-20-2015, 12:11 PM
I really hope Dirk can keep this level of play up. Would love to see him in another Allstar game before he retires

D-Leethal
11-20-2015, 12:18 PM
Looking at the production on that squad no idea how they are doing so well. I figured maybe DWILL had a resurgence or something but nah. Have they had a cupcake schedule or something?

KnicksorBust
11-20-2015, 03:38 PM

I think you are more confident in Durant than I am. I hope you are right. The game is better with him at 100%.

Thumper 88
11-20-2015, 06:07 PM
Looking at the production on that squad no idea how they are doing so well. I figured maybe DWILL had a resurgence or something but nah. Have they had a cupcake schedule or something?

Efficiency

Quinnsanity
11-20-2015, 06:50 PM

Disagree. Remember, with DJ they don't have Deron or Zaza. As much ball movement as Rick Carlisle's offense demands, you still need a primary ball handler. No Deron means that you're essentially stuck with Felton, Harris and Barea to do that. And Zaza fits so well in that offense, I'd much rather have what he gives than run a bunch of stilted pick-and-rolls with bad point guards/Parsons and DJ. They're probably better with DJ just because of the enormous defensive boost, but the difference wouldn't be all that big, certainly not enough to put them on par with OKC.

D-Leethal
11-20-2015, 08:13 PM
Efficiency

I thought the same thing - similar to the year they took the Spurs to 7. But then I checked and they are ranked 20th in ORTG. 15th in eFG. Outside of Dirk, Josh Powell and Parsons (who barely played), they look extremely inefficient across the board. They are somehow playing better D than O.

D-Leethal
11-20-2015, 08:16 PM
Meh, safe to say you can chalk it up to a cupcake schedule for a team out West.

Phoenix Suns W
Los Angeles Clippers L
Los Angeles Lakers W
Toronto Raptors L
Charlotte Hornets L
New Orleans Pelicans W
New Orleans Pelicans L
Los Angeles Clippers W
Los Angeles Lakers W
Houston Rockets W
Philadelphia 76ers W
Boston Celtics W

phantasyyy
11-21-2015, 02:20 PM
Disagree. Remember, with DJ they don't have Deron or Zaza. As much ball movement as Rick Carlisle's offense demands, you still need a primary ball handler. No Deron means that you're essentially stuck with Felton, Harris and Barea to do that. And Zaza fits so well in that offense, I'd much rather have what he gives than run a bunch of stilted pick-and-rolls with bad point guards/Parsons and DJ. They're probably better with DJ just because of the enormous defensive boost, but the difference wouldn't be all that big, certainly not enough to put them on par with OKC.

They'd still have the ability to sign Dwill even with Deandre on board no? He only took a 5.5m per year

kingsdelez24
11-21-2015, 02:31 PM
Dwight Powell is playing an excellent roll-man in their pace and space offense, kind of how Brandan Wright was last year, they actually reloed on him so much last year before they shipped him for rondo

Chronz
11-21-2015, 04:28 PM
DJ has been awful defensively but he would have made them really great offensively. Like a rich mans Brandon Wright. I still wouldnt put them above the Clips at full health.

Thumper 88
11-21-2015, 05:46 PM
No denying that DJ would have been better in the long run but Zaza is killing it right now