PDA

View Full Version : Was firing McHale so early into the season the right move?

lol, please
11-18-2015, 06:11 PM
Is he even responsible for a sub .500 record thus far? Discuss.

Saddletramp
11-18-2015, 07:15 PM
We already have a thread about this. This needs to be deleted. Or closed.

lol, please
11-18-2015, 07:21 PM
There's s thread about it from a news perspective, this is a poll asking if it was the right decision. Not the same thing.

phantasyyy
11-18-2015, 07:44 PM
the years of read prior to my account and after I've noticed that people get really anal about making a new thread lol

Saddletramp
11-18-2015, 08:23 PM
the years of read prior to my account and after I've noticed that people get really anal about making a new thread lol

It's just pointless. People are discussing it in the other "news" thread and voicing their opinions. So you vote here and then you go there to discuss it further? If there was a poll from the beginning in that thread or a poll added to it then great. But a poll here is just for the lazy to not voice their approval or disapproval.

Basically, there's just no need.

LongIslandIcedZ
11-18-2015, 08:56 PM

It's just pointless. People are discussing it in the other "news" thread and voicing their opinions. So you vote here and then you go there to discuss it further? If there was a poll from the beginning in that thread or a poll added to it then great. But a poll here is just for the lazy to not voice their approval or disapproval.

Basically, there's just no need.

Thank god no one is forced to comment in this thread.

As to the question at hand. Normally I'd say it's a little early to move onto a coach. But the western conference is going to be a battle and you don't want to fall too fast behind. A new coach could invigorate a team too talented to be playing so poorly.

G_S_W
11-18-2015, 09:04 PM
Maury is sweatin' bullets.

This is absolutely Leslie's call, and he's on the warpath. I don't think Maury's job is safe, either.

The thing is, Maury Povich has idiotically and cavalierly assembled a cast of strip club enthusiasts, drunkards and absentee fathers who just happen to play basketball part time and it's coming back to bite him in the *** big time.

This is what happens when you have a total disregard for character, ethics, lockerroom chemistry and leadership.

This ship is goin' down.

Houston, we have a problem.

Scoots
11-19-2015, 02:29 AM
No need for this thread.

JasonJohnHorn
11-19-2015, 09:53 AM
Right move; wrong reason.

McHale simply is not a great coach. A great coach can do something special with this roster.

That said, this roster is depleted by injury and has new players in, and old players gone. The record is not a reflection of McHale's coaching; it is a reflection of circumstance.

But that said, they needed a reason to fire him, and the got one. It was hard to fire him last year, even though he was in the hot seat from game one, because the team did well in a VERY tough conference, and then they pushed their way to the conference finals.

When was the last time a coach got fired for performing that well? Rick Carlisle in Detroit and Doug Collins in Chicago. Only ones that come to mind. And of course George Karl got fired after winning Coach of the Year. And I guess technically Phil Jackson after winning it all with the Bull his last season there.

It's hard to justify a firing when you play well and upset a team in the playoffs and get father than your team has been in over 20 years.

But McHale isn't good enough to get the job done, so they needed to make room.

Also, though the record might not be his fault, the level of play is. Though they are losing games, we also see that healthy players are playing as effectively as they should be and as they have in the past. If he has lost the locker room, as reports suggest, then it doesn't really matter if he is 10-4, or 4-10. They need a guy the players trust.

lol, please
11-19-2015, 04:18 PM
Right move; wrong reason.

McHale simply is not a great coach. A great coach can do something special with this roster.

That said, this roster is depleted by injury and has new players in, and old players gone. The record is not a reflection of McHale's coaching; it is a reflection of circumstance.

But that said, they needed a reason to fire him, and the got one. It was hard to fire him last year, even though he was in the hot seat from game one, because the team did well in a VERY tough conference, and then they pushed their way to the conference finals.

When was the last time a coach got fired for performing that well? Rick Carlisle in Detroit and Doug Collins in Chicago. Only ones that come to mind. And of course George Karl got fired after winning Coach of the Year. And I guess technically Phil Jackson after winning it all with the Bull his last season there.

It's hard to justify a firing when you play well and upset a team in the playoffs and get father than your team has been in over 20 years.

But McHale isn't good enough to get the job done, so they needed to make room.

Also, though the record might not be his fault, the level of play is. Though they are losing games, we also see that healthy players are playing as effectively as they should be and as they have in the past. If he has lost the locker room, as reports suggest, then it doesn't really matter if he is 10-4, or 4-10. They need a guy the players trust.
Mark Jackson got fired after impressive deep runs as well.

My question is, where do the Rockets go from here? :confused:

Scoots
11-20-2015, 12:48 PM
Firing McHale, good move ... mid-season? Bad move.

lol, please
11-20-2015, 04:10 PM
Firing McHale, good move ... mid-season? Bad move.

I think it was flat out early, then again I am not as familiar with the situation in Houston as others.

JasonJohnHorn
11-22-2015, 01:13 AM
Mark Jackson got fired after impressive deep runs as well.

My question is, where do the Rockets go from here? :confused:

Well... Jackson got knocked out first round his last year there, no? Dropped it to the Clippers. Close series. Likely the best of the playoffs.

But yeah... Jackson was doing good work with that team when he got fired.

More-Than-Most
11-22-2015, 01:24 AM

No need for this thread.

Its a poll based thread and different from the other one because of it... also you both realize neither one of you have a gun to your head to enter this thread right? instead of posts complaining about the thread just hit the X at the top of your screen.. There is no need to come into a thread and demand it be deleted and thus going off topic... Share your thoughts or message a moderator. Its that simple.

SteBO
11-22-2015, 08:56 AM
Well, it's nice to see that firing McHale has really helped this team find it's footing on the floor.....

lol, please
11-22-2015, 11:56 AM
Well, it's nice to see that firing McHale has really helped this team find it's footing on the floor.....
Have they been winning since?