PDA

View Full Version : Is Lebron James Destined to Become the Will Chamberlin of This Era?

RocketLoc80
11-18-2015, 01:30 PM
Meaning he has the stats to stack up against anybody but won`t garner the respect as other greats because he has very little accolades to show for it and perceived a a choker even though it not true in all aspects?

Hawkeye15
11-18-2015, 02:27 PM
Huh? I have Wilt as a top 3 player ever. He is widely regarded one of the greats. Both he and LeBron have tons of awards, and accolades, not sure what you are referring to.

PowerHouse
11-18-2015, 03:29 PM
Probably not the Will Chamberlain, more like the Will Smith of his era.

Big Zo
11-18-2015, 03:56 PM
Who's "Will" Chamberlain?

GiantsSwaGG
11-18-2015, 04:02 PM
Who's "Will" Chamberlain?

The real question is who's LeBron James?

Scoots
11-18-2015, 04:11 PM
I think Wilt gets the respect. It's just been a long time and everything fades with time.

shep33
11-18-2015, 04:21 PM
That's a huge compliment. Being compared to Wilt is awesome. Top 5 player ever

Chronz
11-18-2015, 04:28 PM
I think Wilt gets the respect. It's just been a long time and everything fades with time.

I feel like the opposite has happened with Wilt. Hard to gauge NBA zeitgeist but during his time I feel like most people shunned him in favor of Russell. As he got older fans began to appreciate his talent and now, with the emphasis on statistical analysis growing, I feel like the #'s Wilt had are beginning to overshadow his actual impact. Wilt vs Russ has gone the other way and people have him as high as 2nd goat.

TheIlladelph16
11-18-2015, 05:10 PM
Probably not the Will Chamberlain, more like the Will Smith of his era.

Arguably the biggest movie star of all time is a pretty lofty comparison, despite not being related whatsoever haha

xbrackattackx
11-18-2015, 05:19 PM
Arguably the biggest movie star of all time is a pretty lofty comparison, despite not being related whatsoever haha

Lolol. Will Smith is a great mainstream actor. And I love his older movies. But no way is he in comparison to biggest movie star of all time.

TheIlladelph16
11-18-2015, 05:25 PM
Lolol. Will Smith is a great mainstream actor. And I love his older movies. But no way is he in comparison to biggest movie star of all time.

I've never stated he is the best actor of all time. That's not really what a movie star is. Daniel Day Lewis is a phenomenal actor, much better than Smith, and he's not pulling that kind of money in.

He has 13 movies as the staring role which have grossed over $100 Million, which is insane. The only comparable actors in the last 20-30 years at the box office would be Tom Hanks and maybe Johnny Depp. That qualifies him as one of the greatest movie stars of all time.

I think it's an oddly accurate comparison to Lebron. Not the greatest ever at his trade, but in the running for one of the biggest stars ever.

Hawkeye15
11-18-2015, 05:42 PM
I've never stated he is the best actor of all time. That's not really what a movie star is. Daniel Day Lewis is a phenomenal actor, much better than Smith, and he's not pulling that kind of money in.

He has 13 movies as the staring role which have grossed over $100 Million, which is insane. The only comparable actors in the last 20-30 years at the box office would be Tom Hanks and maybe Johnny Depp. That qualifies him as one of the greatest movie stars of all time.

I think it's an oddly accurate comparison to Lebron. Not the greatest ever at his trade, but in the running for one of the biggest stars ever.

Tom Cruise had a streak of like 7-8 in a row, and like 19 overall.

I actually think Will Smith is a ****** actor. His kid is an abomination to acting

TheIlladelph16
11-18-2015, 05:43 PM
Tom Cruise had a streak of like 7-8 in a row

Forgot about Cruise as well. He would also qualify for the title haha.

GiantsSwaGG
11-18-2015, 06:03 PM
Tom Cruise had a streak of like 7-8 in a row

I actually think Will Smith is a ****** actor. His kid is an abomination to acting

I guess you didn't watch I am legend lol

Hawkeye15
11-18-2015, 06:06 PM

1 good game doesn't make you an all star :)

GiantsSwaGG
11-18-2015, 06:13 PM
1 good game doesn't make you an all star :)

It made Patrick Swayze one :p

jerellh528
11-18-2015, 06:21 PM

Yup, he's a garbage actor. And only getting worse with age because his goofball comedic action guy part doesn't fly anymore.

Hawkeye15
11-18-2015, 06:22 PM
It made Patrick Swayze one :p

don't get me started. Swayze lifted every film he was in to greatness. He is like Dream from the mid 90's, only sexier

valade16
11-18-2015, 06:25 PM
Yup, he's a garbage actor. And only getting worse with age because his goofball comedic action guy part doesn't fly anymore.

Will Smith is not a garbage actor. He's had a number of movies where he was great.

Ali, The Pursuit of Happyness, Seven Pounds. Heck, he was also good in Hitch, Enemy of the State and I am Legend (even though the movie sucked).

Hawkeye15
11-18-2015, 06:28 PM
Will Smith is not a garbage actor. He's had a number of movies where he was great.

Ali, The Pursuit of Happyness, Seven Pounds. Heck, he was also good in Hitch, Enemy of the State and I am Legend (even though the movie sucked).

He was easily at his best in The Fresh Prince of Bel Air

valade16
11-18-2015, 06:40 PM
He was easily at his best in The Fresh Prince of Bel Air

He was easily at his most natural sure, but I wouldn't really consider what he was doing acting since the character came so naturally to him (as evidenced by him playing the same or similar character in virtually every big budget action-comedy throughout his career).

I actually loved Fresh Prince though. Good show.

Hawkeye15
11-18-2015, 06:44 PM
He was easily at his most natural sure, but I wouldn't really consider what he was doing acting since the character came so naturally to him (as evidenced by him playing the same or similar character in virtually every big budget action-comedy throughout his career).

you realize I am mostly just kidding, right?

I like Will in some of his movies, others he is no good. Average actor. Like, no way would I put him on Tom Hanks level, and I wouldn't put Tom Hanks on Gary Oldman level, who I wouldn't put on DDL level.

And none of them touch the supreme level of the man in my sig. It's like god himself took human form just to teach us a little bit about being a bad *** for a while

GiantsSwaGG
11-18-2015, 09:06 PM
don't get me started. Swayze lifted every film he was in to greatness. He is like Dream from the mid 90's, only sexier

Lol Oh stop, same Patrick that got outshined by Demi Moore in ghost, I mean even Whoopi nailed it, he was the worse one of the bunch. Replace Patrick with Will Smith in dirty dancing and you'll have an instant classic

KnicksorBust
11-18-2015, 09:14 PM
I came here to talk about Lebron and now I want to talk about Dicaprio. Wtf happened. #isthisthenbaforum

More-Than-Most
11-18-2015, 09:24 PM
That's a huge compliment. Being compared to Wilt is awesome. Top 5 player ever

lol this.

More-Than-Most
11-18-2015, 09:25 PM

not just this he has forced his talentless kid on us for years. There is no actor I hate more than his son

Sly Guy
11-18-2015, 10:37 PM

Hawkeye15
11-18-2015, 11:40 PM
Lol Oh stop, same Patrick that got outshined by Demi Moore in ghost, I mean even Whoopi nailed it, he was the worse one of the bunch. Replace Patrick with Will Smith in dirty dancing and you'll have an instant classic

we are no longer friends

Hawkeye15
11-18-2015, 11:41 PM
not just this he has forced his talentless kid on us for years. There is no actor I hate more than his son

dude his kid is unwatchable. Like I just want to slap him into submission and beg him to stop acting

jerellh528
11-18-2015, 11:54 PM

He was good for me in pursuit of happiness and I even liked the new karate kid with him. But gawd after that, like once he hit puberty he was completely unbearable to watch or even be aware of his existence.

Hawkeye15
11-19-2015, 12:43 AM
He was good for me in pursuit of happiness and I even liked the new karate kid with him. But gawd after that, like once he hit puberty he was completely unbearable to watch or even be aware of his existence.

that is where my bias started. My Dad took me to see Karate Kid at age 7, and within a week, I was enrolled in aikido. My whole life changed because of that movie. I have been in love with martial arts since I saw that movie, and probably prior, thank you Inside Kung Fu Theatre.

The remake can suck a dick.

IKnowHoops
11-19-2015, 01:31 AM

I put Will Smith in the same category of Silvester Stallone and Arnold Schwartzenegger. They are not casted to play different characters. They are always casted to play themselves...the same character every time. On one hand, yeah they aren't very good actors, but they have awesome personalities, and they basically are a brand.

As respectable as it is to have the skills to play multiple roles, its also quite a compliment that movie producers want you to just be yourself because your just so awesome.

IKnowHoops
11-19-2015, 01:35 AM

Oh s--- Hawk. LOLOL.

IKnowHoops
11-19-2015, 01:37 AM

I thought Ali was his best job as an actor. It was the farthest he got away from being fresh prince. I am Legend was the same exact guy as all of his other movies, he was just scared all the time.

IKnowHoops
11-19-2015, 01:38 AM

This is all 100% accurate.

IKnowHoops
11-19-2015, 01:41 AM
you realize I am mostly just kidding, right?

I like Will in some of his movies, others he is no good. Average actor. Like, no way would I put him on Tom Hanks level, and I wouldn't put Tom Hanks on Gary Oldman level, who I wouldn't put on DDL level.

And none of them touch the supreme level of the man in my sig. It's like god himself took human form just to teach us a little bit about being a bad *** for a while

OMGoodness! Your crazy Hawk. Funny stuff here. His dancing in dirty dancing screams virgin. hahaha, well maybe not virgin, but he can't dance. It embarrassed me to watch those hip thrusts. LOLOLOLOLOL

IKnowHoops
11-19-2015, 01:49 AM
that is where my bias started. My Dad took me to see Karate Kid at age 7, and within a week, I was enrolled in aikido. My whole life changed because of that movie. I have been in love with martial arts since I saw that movie, and probably prior, thank you Inside Kung Fu Theatre.

The remake can suck a dick.

"Give him a body bag, yeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!" "Do it again Johny!"(Music plays) Den den dennnnnnn, den den dennnnnnn. "Finish him!" Crane Kick...Elizibeth Shue rushes the matt. "Mr. Miaggi we did it." Miaggi smiles.

Its one of the best movies ever. Beautifully written!

ewing
11-19-2015, 02:07 PM
I put Will Smith in the same category of Silvester Stallone and Arnold Schwartzenegger. They are not casted to play different characters. They are always casted to play themselves...the same character every time. On one hand, yeah they aren't very good actors, but they have awesome personalities, and they basically are a brand.

As respectable as it is to have the skills to play multiple roles, its also quite a compliment that movie producers want you to just be yourself because your just so awesome.

What are you talking about? Did you see Arnold in Twins? The comic synergy b/t him and Danny Devito is palatable

Hawkeye15
11-19-2015, 02:34 PM

If you are a male age 30-50, thing is, you grew up watching these 2 churn out awesome action movie after awesome action movie. They are on a different level, in regards to action movies. I do get your reference though, but I also think Sly is pretty good comedically, and Arnold was good in Twins.

Minimal
11-19-2015, 02:37 PM
LeBron is not Will Smith of basketball, he is Leonardo DiCaprio of basetball.

DillyDill
11-19-2015, 05:29 PM
I love Will Smith acting Independence Day and Bay Boys 1 and 2 OMG

5ass
11-19-2015, 06:13 PM
"Help out your mom and dad by getting a job so you can help pay for school supplies woohoo" haha I can't think of Will Smith without thinking about that Family Guy scene.

AllBall
11-19-2015, 06:28 PM

Enemy of the State was one of the greatest movies and it was ahead of its time. Pursuit of Happiness was probably his best serious role. I can't speak to his latest scientology laced endeavors...

Kaner
11-19-2015, 07:39 PM
I think Will's one of the most likable and personable actors I've watched, he's great at really emotional scenes and comedic relief. Not an all-time great actor but it's no surprise he became a megastar in entertainment with his talent and work ethic. I like the random Lebron comparison.

How he had one of the most tone deaf and unlikable kids in hollywood idk.

FlashBolt
11-20-2015, 01:09 AM
Almost thought I was on TMZ.com for a second...

IKnowHoops
11-20-2015, 06:02 PM
Love twins, not really sure what your point was. Will Smith makes me laugh too. Arnold was even funnier in pumping iron...just being himself. You can be yourself and be funny sometimes and be serious sometimes. Doesn't mean you switched characters. Switching characters is Brad Pitt in fight club and Brad Pitt in Snatch. That's a great actor!

hugepatsfan
11-21-2015, 01:25 PM
Huh? I have Wilt as a top 3 player ever. He is widely regarded one of the greats. Both he and LeBron have tons of awards, and accolades, not sure what you are referring to.

Come on Hawk, you obviously know exactly what he's referring too.

cmellofan15
11-21-2015, 02:02 PM
a lot of Will Smith hate in here...I'm guessing you guys weren't fans of big willy style lmao

IKnowHoops
11-21-2015, 10:46 PM
a lot of Will Smith hate in here...I'm guessing you guys weren't fans of big willy style lmao

:laugh: Getting jiggy wit it

Hawkeye15
11-22-2015, 11:00 PM
Come on Hawk, you obviously know exactly what he's referring too.

but what is your opinion of Will Smith?