PDA

View Full Version : Ortiz to retire after 2016

j-bay
11-17-2015, 01:56 PM
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Sources: David Ortiz will retire at end of 2016 season.

Let's go! One more run for the big guy.

AI
11-17-2015, 02:19 PM
Noooooooooooooooo :(

bagwell368
11-17-2015, 02:20 PM
He lasted longer than I thought. Great player, somewhat difficult for those that paid attention to his comments when he was in a paranoid mood.

Big moment wise, flags, and all of that - he's a HOF. But using the SABR microscope? No.

Interesting to see if the Sox go for a full time DH, or make it a rest spot for the regulars.

AI
11-17-2015, 02:34 PM
He lasted longer than I thought. Great player, somewhat difficult for those that paid attention to his comments when he was in a paranoid mood.

Big moment wise, flags, and all of that - he's a HOF. But using the SABR microscope? No.

Interesting to see if the Sox go for a full time DH, or make it a rest spot for the regulars.

I'm assuming that, if he's still here, Hanley moves to DH and we sign or trade for a 1B. Travis Shaw and Sam Travis do provide some intriguing in-house options at 1B.

RedSoxtober
11-17-2015, 04:15 PM
I'm assuming that, if he's still here, Hanley moves to DH and we sign or trade for a 1B. Travis Shaw and Sam Travis do provide some intriguing in-house options at 1B.

+1 on all of this.

Bo Sox Fan
11-17-2015, 04:29 PM
I didn't think this announcement was going to hit me as hard as it did until I seen this video. Enjoy 2016, because you don't realize what you've got til it's gone.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HJyxzaLNlNw

AI
11-17-2015, 05:21 PM
For some reason, if he's still productive this season, I could still see him playing in 2017.

Soxfan85
11-17-2015, 07:29 PM
Wouldn't mind Encarnacion as the DH hes put up great numbers.

papipapsmanny
11-17-2015, 08:27 PM
I mean when you really think about it, we may not have 1 WS (of the 3 he won) without him. I mean its hard to say we win in 04 or 13 without him and with someone who is almost as productive.

He kind of made me a believer of clutchness

bagwell368
11-18-2015, 11:34 AM
I mean when you really think about it, we may not have 1 WS (of the 3 he won) without him. I mean its hard to say we win in 04 or 13 without him and with someone who is almost as productive.

He kind of made me a believer of clutchness

No way with a replacement level player instead of him we win in '04 or '13. '07 was a wagon and may have won w/o him, but it's no gimme.

Wonder if DD got the ball rolling by telling Ortiz we are not picking up the '17 option, and Ramirez is going to get some AB's at DH in '16, and all after that (subtext: we'll get clobbered in a deal to move him).

We'll miss the production and the clutch moments - I won't miss the "whoa is me" horsebleep.

RedSoxtober
11-18-2015, 02:29 PM

RedSoxtober
11-18-2015, 02:31 PM
For some reason, if he's still productive this season, I could still see him playing in 2017.

There's a pretty strong case to be made that he won't. By announcing it now the one thing that he does it let all the MLB teams know that they have one shot at honoring him and, make no mistake, he WANTS the attention. The backlash would strong if he got all that and doubled-back (My opinion). That said, I wasn't surprised because of some comments that he made at the end of the season. I think that he really is ready to spend more time with his wife and son.

bagwell368
11-20-2015, 11:11 AM
The anti juice guys won't vote for him, and the anti DH guys won't vote for him, and the SABR's won't vote for him. I predict BRS fans will howl over how low his voting total is his first year of eligibility. Moreover, he won't get elected into the HOF, it'll be the VC that makes it happen - if they do. 2054 or so if it happens.

An obvious BRS HOF'er of course.

RedSoxtober
11-20-2015, 07:30 PM
The anti juice guys won't vote for him, and the anti DH guys won't vote for him, and the SABR's won't vote for him. I predict BRS fans will howl over how low his voting total is his first year of eligibility. Moreover, he won't get elected into the HOF, it'll be the VC that makes it happen - if they do. 2054 or so if it happens.

An obvious BRS HOF'er of course.

He presents an interesting question even for SABR guys, doesn't he? The various HOF measures at B-R view him as at least a border-line case (except blank ink). A case has been made for him getting in as the best post season hitter of all time (not a BOS writer).

It'll be interesting to see how it all progresses. I wonder if we won't see a softening on the PED issue as it becomes less of a present-tense issue around the game.

Blank Ink 16 (avg HOF 27)
Grey Ink 142 (avg HOF 144)
HOF Monitor 154 (likely HOF 100, "cinch" 130)
HOF Standards 49 (avg HOF 50)

Vincent33
11-25-2015, 07:14 PM
The guy gave Boston some of the most iconic sports moments ever. I think he'll go to the HoF one day, but as soon as Edgar gets in and the voters recognize DH (I mean its been in the MLB rule book for like 40yrs) as legitmate. Those two are the best ever and just b/c they very rarely played defense, they're going to be punished for still being the best at what they did? AL Pitchers only pitch and very rarely hit, so I guess since they only see one side of the game, they should be punished too?

I realize its not that simple at all, but DH has been a part of baseball for nearly half a century and a guy like Edgar Martinez and then Ortiz should be able to have a real, legitimate chance to be recognized and rewarded in the HoF. I cannot believe that Edgar has been hovering at like 30-35% for the last 5yrs or so. Dude was the best DH ever and can't crack 50%? Stupid old voters

bagwell368
11-27-2015, 11:22 PM
The guy gave Boston some of the most iconic sports moments ever. I think he'll go to the HoF one day, but as soon as Edgar gets in and the voters recognize DH (I mean its been in the MLB rule book for like 40yrs) as legitmate. Those two are the best ever and just b/c they very rarely played defense, they're going to be punished for still being the best at what they did? AL Pitchers only pitch and very rarely hit, so I guess since they only see one side of the game, they should be punished too?

I realize its not that simple at all, but DH has been a part of baseball for nearly half a century and a guy like Edgar Martinez and then Ortiz should be able to have a real, legitimate chance to be recognized and rewarded in the HoF. I cannot believe that Edgar has been hovering at like 30-35% for the last 5yrs or so. Dude was the best DH ever and can't crack 50%? Stupid old voters

Quite right.

BRS fans refuse (usually) to admit it - but Edgar outside of the post season was a better player then Ortiz.

DOrtiz park/era adjusted slash: .274/.367/.527 OPS+ 139 WAR: 50.4 - 2257 games

Edgar park/era adjusted slash: .303/.408/.502 OPS+ 147 WAR: 68.3 - 2055 games

I think Ortiz will get in first, then Edgar - or neither will.