PDA

View Full Version : What would you trade for Demar Derozan?

FriedTofuz
11-16-2015, 01:39 AM
Ive been a derozan fan for years but his lack of improvements in parts of his game concerns me and Im just curious as to what other people of the league think and if he's a quality piece tha one would think would help you win a championship. Unfortunately, derozan lives and dies with the free throw line and doesnt always get his calls. he still isnt a 3pt shooter or defender and takes inefficient jump shots. He's a pretty solid passer but at this point, Idont even think the raptors would get anything great in return for him. So other than a bag of doritos chips, what would you trade for derozan, do you see him being a missing piece of a team looking to win a ship?

WaDe03
11-16-2015, 02:03 AM
Deng.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-16-2015, 06:58 AM
Raps08-09 Champ.

PhillyFaninLA
11-16-2015, 07:25 AM
I'd trade the OKC and/or Heat first round pics for next years draft

Quinnsanity
11-16-2015, 08:09 AM
He seems a bit overqualified for the traditional late first/expiring contract midseason wing package, but he's definitely under qualified for the Goran Dragic two unprotected firsts deal. Probably somewhere in between, like a first and a flyer on a young guy the Raps might like. Of course, I don't think it's relevant, the Raps look like they'll hover around 50 wins if they stay healthy.

GiantsSwaGG
11-16-2015, 09:18 AM
Lance Thomas for DeRozen seems like a fair trade

xxplayerxx23
11-16-2015, 10:19 AM
Lance Thomas for DeRozen seems like a fair trade

Be fair.. Add Jose

xbrackattackx
11-16-2015, 10:26 AM
Nick Young,Bass,Nance JR and Black for Demar

That gives the Raptors more big men to go with Biyumbo and Val.

Gives the Lakers some scoring.

IndyRealist
11-16-2015, 10:37 AM
I was going to make a snarky remark, but then i looked at his boxscore. He's substantially outperforming every year of his career so far, despite his shooting percentages and raw numbers being in line with his rather average career. What is different is that he is getting to the line a TON (more than a free throw every 4 mins played), and fouling less.

Unless you're DeAndre Jordan-esque, getting to the line is almost always a net positive, due to the break even point being so low (like 55%) and the limited number of fouls defenders have.

Given that i've always been hard on Derozan, i'm expecting regression to the mean, but right now seems like an odd time for this thread.

Dade County
11-16-2015, 11:18 AM
I can see Demar signing with NOP next off season; as the over hype free agent.

If things are not going as Miami & the Raps want when Dec rolls around, Green & either Birdman/Deng for demar.

HandsOnTheWheel
11-16-2015, 11:37 AM
Not much. Hypothetically, he would be considered a role player on a contending team and is certainly not a name that stands out when thinking in terms of winning for a rebuilding team.

ManningToTyree
11-16-2015, 01:26 PM
Not much he's too inefficient of a shooter for a shooting guard

DR_1
11-16-2015, 02:05 PM
Raps08-09 Champ.

:laugh2:

nycericanguy
11-16-2015, 03:12 PM
Demar is a bad contract waiting to happen, he's going to be a FA next year at the perfect time for some team to pay him $20m+.

Dont think TOR could get much.

FriedTofuz
11-16-2015, 04:12 PM
Demar is a bad contract waiting to happen, he's going to be a FA next year at the perfect time for some team to pay him $20m+.

Dont think TOR could get much.

So far his contract is great at the moment. If he goes to a contending team it's unlikely that he'll get paid a max because his stats will be lower in a new team. The problem is, I dont think any team in the league could really use a SG that cant shoot or want a player of his caliber without giving up anything more than pennies which the raptors are better off without. I would like 2 1st rounders for derozan but even that seems unlikely to get.

nycericanguy
11-16-2015, 04:34 PM
So far his contract is great at the moment. If he goes to a contending team it's unlikely that he'll get paid a max because his stats will be lower in a new team. The problem is, I dont think any team in the league could really use a SG that cant shoot or want a player of his caliber without giving up anything more than pennies which the raptors are better off without. I would like 2 1st rounders for derozan but even that seems unlikely to get.

two late 1st's maybe... but like you said teams are looking for shooting now more than ever. A SG that can't shoot is a hard sell. He's never improved his shot. and usually guys that arent 3pt shooters will shoot a higher overall % since they dont take many 3's... but Derozan is a rare player that shoots in the low 40's even without many 3's. If it wasn't for him getting to the line he'd be one of the least efficient players in the NBA.

I doubt he gets full max because that's going to be close to $30m, but I wouldnt want to be the team that pays him 20m+.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-16-2015, 08:47 PM
Nothing. Bucks don't need him. Only way he ever would of been linked to us is if we still had Jennings since they're best buds. Don't see the point in having a SG that cant shoot. Yeah he gets to the foul line.

deaner
11-16-2015, 09:04 PM
In fairness, Demar could be a much better shooter on a team that holds him accountable and doesn't push him to take the first shot he gets. It's a real issue with the raptors org not giving up a look for a better one. Casey refuses to think about offensive efficiency because he's a defensive coordinator at best.

Kyben36
11-16-2015, 09:32 PM
Nothing, he doesnt fit with the bulls.

Chronz
11-16-2015, 09:47 PM
Clippers could use him

Pfeifer
11-16-2015, 10:08 PM
He is a better shooter than given credit. He is a good mid range shooter and gets to the line great. His awareness is good and he's really learned how to pass the ball off the bounce. Also, he's 26. Just entering his prime IMO. Gets pit in some tough spots on this team.

Cal827
11-17-2015, 12:01 AM
Be fair.. Add Jose

:laugh2: THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--2lb15imp--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/1475063766098781732.jpg

Cal827
11-17-2015, 12:13 AM
I'm not sure what Demar would warrant from a team though. I don't think anyone would be willing to part with a lot since he's gonna test the markets (regardless of whether or not Toronto resigns him, he's gonna listen to other teams). If he were a better 3 point shooter, we could get a lot more back.

I think probably a young prospect and a first from a contending team that really sees him as that final piece and already has a SG or SF who's a 3 point shooter. I'd say Barnes and their first since he's gonna be a RFA, but don't think GS would risk their chemistry at all at this point :laugh2: Maybe San Antonio?

The dream would be Winslow and a first from Miami, but they probably wouldn't go for that :laugh2:

Legitimate
11-17-2015, 12:22 AM
dd valacunias plus knicks pick to sac for cousins and there first

Dade County
11-17-2015, 01:56 AM
The dream would be Winslow and a first from Miami, but they probably wouldn't go for that :laugh2:

Just stop it lol

You can have something thats called a Deng & a man known as BirdMan. & if you play nice, we might throw in some Green (if you know what i mean).

jon32
11-17-2015, 03:30 AM
John Henson + 2016 2nd, 2017/18 2nd
for
Derozan +Pat Patterson + Clippers 1st.........;)

thats what id love

jon32
11-17-2015, 03:37 AM
my next.....but unrealistic trade is ....

Derek Favours

for

Terrence Ross + 2015/16 NY/Den 1st Round pick. + Tor 1st Round Pick + Pat Patterson + I dunno what else. ....whatever else it.d take

More-Than-Most
11-17-2015, 05:23 AM
Nothing the sixers will over pay in free agency if we dont pick a top G in the draft : )

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-17-2015, 09:13 AM
John Henson + 2016 2nd, 2017/18 2nd
for
Derozan +Pat Patterson + Clippers 1st.........;)

thats what id love

No thanks. We extended Henson at a bargain. Not a fan of DeRozan. Also we have Middleton and Mayo and Bayless at SG. Also Vasquez can play SG for us as well. Besides we have rookie Vaughn that's barely playing.

nycericanguy
11-17-2015, 09:57 AM
He is a better shooter than given credit. He is a good mid range shooter and gets to the line great. His awareness is good and he's really learned how to pass the ball off the bounce. Also, he's 26. Just entering his prime IMO. Gets pit in some tough spots on this team.

his mid range % says otherwise. He hits a lot of mid range shots because he takes a TON, but he doesn't shoot them well.

JLynn943
11-17-2015, 10:38 AM
Ben McLemore maybe. I'd be hesitant about pairing DD up with Gay again though. Rudy is much better since leaving Toronto.

diu9leilomo
11-17-2015, 10:54 AM
I'm a raps fan and Demar has no trade value imo.

1. He has no range, average at best on D, not sure what "role" he really is...
2. Great work ethic, but poor basketball IQ and has zero killer mentality...
3. He will always be a heavy usage players on a lower tier team, I can see teams like charlotte or nets whos desperate for some "star" player

ManRam
11-17-2015, 12:33 PM
He'd be as bad of a fit on the Magic as it gets. I'd only entertain it if Orlando treated him as a pure expiring to rid ourselves of Channing Frye.

JasonJohnHorn
11-18-2015, 04:10 PM
Raptors fan here. I don't think there is a GM in this league who is earning their pay cheque who would take DMDR on. He seems like a good guy, but he can't shoot, and if you are a shooting guard who can shoot.... well....

Yeah... he gets 20 a game, because he is given so many possessions. He's great at drawing fouls, so his points per shot looks decent (20 points for 16 shots), but he also needs an additional 4 or 5 possessions to get the fouls that lead to his his scoring average. You take those away, and he's actually only scoring about 13 points on 16 shots. That's awful.

Chronz
11-18-2015, 04:33 PM
Raptors fan here. I don't think there is a GM in this league who is earning their pay cheque who would take DMDR on. He seems like a good guy, but he can't shoot, and if you are a shooting guard who can shoot.... well....

Yeah... he gets 20 a game, because he is given so many possessions. He's great at drawing fouls, so his points per shot looks decent (20 points for 16 shots), but he also needs an additional 4 or 5 possessions to get the fouls that lead to his his scoring average. You take those away, and he's actually only scoring about 13 points on 16 shots. That's awful.

Check out his O-RTG/ Pts per possession. Its actually very good this year given his usage, and he is participating in the 3rd best offense this season so its hard to complain. His lack of shooting does cramp things up but his in-between and midrange game are solid but what happened to his improving corner 3 shot? If he can get that up he can be a great asset. Too bad hes not abit taller, seems like a classic SF.

JasonJohnHorn
11-18-2015, 04:48 PM
Check out his O-RTG/ Pts per possession. Its actually very good this year given his usage, and he is participating in the 3rd best offense this season so its hard to complain. His lack of shooting does cramp things up but his in-between and midrange game are solid but what happened to his improving corner 3 shot? If he can get that up he can be a great asset. Too bad hes not abit taller, seems like a classic SF.

His rating doesn't seem that bad on paper, but it's due in large part to his ability to draw a foul. But I'm not sure he helps spread the floor enough.

I'm also not sure there is room for a classic SF in the league any more.

I respect his all around game, and ability to draw a foul, but he has no range, and in this league, that is crucial.

His ability to draws fouls is crucial against teams with defensive big men, because it can force them to take the big men out early due to foul trouble. But he also makes it easier to guard on defense because you can cheat if he's behind the arc. The only time he really opens things up is when he's attacking, and though he's a decent play maker, I wouldn't say he's a great one, and that kind of thing is more like what your PG should be doing unless you got LBJ or KD on your team.

LanceUpperCut
11-18-2015, 04:56 PM
Demar has his issues but he's drastically underrated now. But him on a team were he is a number 2/3 option and has some sort of plan on offense and he would excel. The raptors have a horrible style on offense and that's cause of Caseys just go out there and score mentality. I've seen him several times this season pass out of double teams and constantly find the open man who just throws up bricks or can't handle the pass.

Demar was never a franchise guy and shouldn't be looked at like one but if your coach constantly has no other plan and wants him and Lowry to go play hero ball that's whats gonna happen and more often then not it's been working in the regular season but against good teams and in the playoffs it doesn't work.

Chronz
11-18-2015, 05:23 PM
His rating doesn't seem that bad on paper, but it's due in large part to his ability to draw a foul. But I'm not sure he helps spread the floor enough.
Well until the league stops counting FT's as PTS that influence winning, Im not seeing what you mean by "But". He definitely doesn't spread the floor but he can warp defenses when his attack/midrange game are in effect. Some teams need that kind of guy, my team for example.

I'm also not sure there is room for a classic SF in the league any more.

I respect his all around game, and ability to draw a foul, but he has no range, and in this league, that is crucial.

His ability to draws fouls is crucial against teams with defensive big men, because it can force them to take the big men out early due to foul trouble. But he also makes it easier to guard on defense because you can cheat if he's behind the arc. The only time he really opens things up is when he's attacking, and though he's a decent play maker, I wouldn't say he's a great one, and that kind of thing is more like what your PG should be doing unless you got LBJ or KD on your team.
Theres always a place for productive/efficient players tho. I do think on a better team he himself would be less productive but hes definitely not in danger of falling out, not like say... Lance Stephenson. I would definitely take him over any other wing outside of JJ on my squad. Too bad he sees himself as an All-Star and in certain situations may produce like one. We'll see but hes improved every year and right now, this type of production is stellar for him. hes been very efficient.

North Yorker
11-18-2015, 06:06 PM
Raps need a PF in the worst way.

Wouldn't mind a package of DeRozan + pick(s) to Phoenix for Markeiff and Booker.

nycericanguy
11-18-2015, 06:10 PM
Demar has his issues but he's drastically underrated now. But him on a team were he is a number 2/3 option and has some sort of plan on offense and he would excel. The raptors have a horrible style on offense and that's cause of Caseys just go out there and score mentality. I've seen him several times this season pass out of double teams and constantly find the open man who just throws up bricks or can't handle the pass.

Demar was never a franchise guy and shouldn't be looked at like one but if your coach constantly has no other plan and wants him and Lowry to go play hero ball that's whats gonna happen and more often then not it's been working in the regular season but against good teams and in the playoffs it doesn't work.

TOR has had one of the better offenses in the east the last few years... fans always think their coach sucks though...lol.

Would DD really excel as a #2? IDK, he and Gay didn't play together very well. DD isn't a guy that would benefit from another star getting him open looks because he's simply not a good shooter from anywhere on the court. The bigger issue would be he's about to enter FAgency at 26 years of age at the perfect time when just about every team will have tons to spend. Someone is going to pay him alot more than he's worth. If he were locked in at 10-12m per year he'd have good trade value.

Oefarmy2005
11-18-2015, 06:12 PM
I'd send Dieng and Martin, not sure where he'd fit on the Wolves, but if he is willing to come off the bench, I'd take him.

koreancabbage
11-19-2015, 01:07 AM
I'd send Dieng and Martin, not sure where he'd fit on the Wolves, but if he is willing to come off the bench, I'd take him.

i'd take that. Martin might actually be a better fit to spread the floor for the Raps REAL future: JVal.

JVal needs room and Derozan driving in the lane, playing in the midrange gives Val no space at all. plus Derozan needs an exuberant amount of possessions to get going. He's more familiar with the offense this year because the coaches have told him that player x and player y WILL be in their spots to pass to. Its all a set play for Derozan. Derozan has been passing more because of the coaching and player placement on the floor designed for Derozan whenever he gets in trouble. I think Martin can come in and do the same AND really spread the floor for JVal.

and Dieng can't be worse than Biyombo at catching the ball in the lane. omg. I think I echo the same thing over and and over again for Raps fans. WHY THE **** WOULD THEY PASS IT TO BIYOMBO. I mean Biyombo is in the right place but he really does have stone hands.

FriedTofuz
11-19-2015, 01:17 AM
TOR has had one of the better offenses in the east the last few years... fans always think their coach sucks though...lol.

Would DD really excel as a #2? IDK, he and Gay didn't play together very well. DD isn't a guy that would benefit from another star getting him open looks because he's simply not a good shooter from anywhere on the court. The bigger issue would be he's about to enter FAgency at 26 years of age at the perfect time when just about every team will have tons to spend. Someone is going to pay him alot more than he's worth. If he were locked in at 10-12m per year he'd have good trade value.

Well, The reason we say our coach sucks is because despite tings looking good, they could be BETTER, but he doesnt capitilize on it. What i mean is, he doesnt know how to manage his players. If a player has the hot hand and a team isnt stopping him, casey will end up not encouraging his team to find that player ( Jonas Valancuinas) . There are times when he just doesnt manage minutes well and players with JV dont get enough playing time.

I think he also doesnt know how to draw up plays and just lets demar play iso and dribble off his foot. I think if casey had someone to help manage his players minutes and draw up plays, casey would look like a genius. There's a lot of good things casey does but a lot of bad things that just irks you..

Demar would never excel in this league without a 3pt shot. His lack of shooting ability is why he drives in for contested shots and fumbles, gets stripped, or complains for Free Throws.

FriedTofuz
11-19-2015, 01:17 AM
i'd take that. Martin might actually be a better fit to spread the floor for the Raps REAL future: JVal.

JVal needs room and Derozan driving in the lane, playing in the midrange gives Val no space at all. plus Derozan needs an exuberant amount of possessions to get going. He's more familiar with the offense this year because the coaches have told him that player x and player y WILL be in their spots to pass to. Its all a set play for Derozan. Derozan has been passing more because of the coaching and player placement on the floor designed for Derozan whenever he gets in trouble. I think Martin can come in and do the same AND really spread the floor for JVal.

and Dieng can't be worse than Biyombo at catching the ball in the lane. omg. I think I echo the same thing over and and over again for Raps fans. WHY THE **** WOULD THEY PASS IT TO BIYOMBO. I mean Biyombo is in the right place but he really does have stone hands.

LOL I like how you went off-topic about the biyombo situation. It really irks me to see people pass him the ball when he has the worst hands ever as well. I would do that Martin Trade in a heart beat.

nycericanguy
11-19-2015, 10:52 AM
Well, The reason we say our coach sucks is because despite tings looking good, they could be BETTER, but he doesnt capitilize on it. What i mean is, he doesnt know how to manage his players. If a player has the hot hand and a team isnt stopping him, casey will end up not encouraging his team to find that player ( Jonas Valancuinas) . There are times when he just doesnt manage minutes well and players with JV dont get enough playing time.

I think he also doesnt know how to draw up plays and just lets demar play iso and dribble off his foot. I think if casey had someone to help manage his players minutes and draw up plays, casey would look like a genius. There's a lot of good things casey does but a lot of bad things that just irks you..

Demar would never excel in this league without a 3pt shot. His lack of shooting ability is why he drives in for contested shots and fumbles, gets stripped, or complains for Free Throws.

Go into the Knicks forum and Knick fans are complaining about the exact same thing about Fisher...lol. Fans always think its the coach and always think they could manage minutes better and have better rotations. There's alot more to coaching than that, and Casey is in practice with these guys every day and knows them a lot better than we do. NET fans complained about each and every of the 5 coaches they had in the last 4 years... then they realized the team just sucks and now their forum is completely dead...lol. But not before they complained about Hollins too!

No coach is perfect but also no coach can make every fan happy. Not saying Casey is a great coach, but he's done a lot more with that team than expected.

For instance i've heard a lot of TOR fans complain that Casey holds back Jonas... but really, from what I've seen Jonas just isnt that good. It's not like Casey doesnt give him 30mpg... But Jonas is who he is, a solid C that can score and rebound some. but he's slow, not great on D, not a very good shotblocker...etc... he has a lot of flaws. Can't put stuff like that on coach.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-19-2015, 11:18 AM
Go into the Knicks forum and Knick fans are complaining about the exact same thing about Fisher...lol. Fans always think its the coach and always think they could manage minutes better and have better rotations. There's alot more to coaching than that, and Casey is in practice with these guys every day and knows them a lot better than we do. NET fans complained about each and every of the 5 coaches they had in the last 4 years... then they realized the team just sucks and now their forum is completely dead...lol. But not before they complained about Hollins too!

No coach is perfect but also no coach can make every fan happy. Not saying Casey is a great coach, but he's done a lot more with that team than expected.

For instance i've heard a lot of TOR fans complain that Casey holds back Jonas... but really, from what I've seen Jonas just isnt that good. It's not like Casey doesnt give him 30mpg... But Jonas is who he is, a solid C that can score and rebound some. but he's slow, not great on D, not a very good shotblocker...etc... he has a lot of flaws. Can't put stuff like that on coach.

Actually PSD as a community is dying out. I see less and less posters on plenty of teams pages. I still get plenty of lurkers but not registered members over at Bucks board but its not as active as years ago. Plenty of other teams pages are dead. Either tons of people are getting banned or moved on. This is a sports site yet seems like tv and movies section is the busiest forum here.

Heck the video game section is probably more busy then the main NBA section here. Heck the Packers board is dead and that use to be like one of the busiest forums here at PSD. People need to start spamming PSD links on twitter or some where to luring in more posters. I link PSD on twitter every now and then. Get more lurkers but not many join.

Cal827
11-19-2015, 11:18 AM

One issue that a lot of us have with Casey, was that he didn't give Jonas enough time to learn from his mistakes. I think a lot of us Raptor fans remember seeing guys who were out there consistently making mistakes, or kinda flaking on effort (E.g. Terrence Ross, among others), but would be out there in critical situations, while Jonas would make one mistake on the court, then not see playing time for the next quarter and a half. Jonas is developing, one way they develop is to play on their mistakes and see if they can rectify the flaw. Cause no matter how much they practice, it's different in a real game.

Many of us had a similar issue with Triano (well he was just pretty bad :laugh2: ) because him and BC would talk about holding players accountable, then would pull a developing Derozan out after a mistake or two, yet Bargnani (who had years to develop) would constantly see 36-40 minutes on the court :laugh2: ....

Also a lot of us are still sour about the playoff years. We made it two straight years, with HCA in the first round, and have failed out both times. Now, I understand that 2013 could have been jitters (and that series could have gone either way), but the sweep by Washington last year is inexcusable. I'm not saying that they might not have won the series, but 4-0?

Also doesn't help that he seemed to not be able to make proper adjustments when the team only could win if they were shooting the lights out. The team went from a top 5 defensive team mid season, to a bottom 5 defensive team after half a season. I know that last year the bench wasn't full of defensive players, but much of the year, our best defensive players (E.g. James Johnson, Hayes) wouldn't play at all, while guys who weren't exactly known defenders (Lou Williams, Grevis Vasquez) got the bulk.

Right now the teams 13th in defense rating. With the defensive players that we have now, that better improve/consistent. We can keep teams like OKC under 100, then give up 100+ to a team like Philly.

nycericanguy
11-19-2015, 11:27 AM
Actually PSD as a community is dying out. I see less and less posters on plenty of teams pages. I still get plenty of lurkers but not registered members over at Bucks board but its not as active as years ago. Plenty of other teams pages are dead. Either tons of people are getting banned or moved on. This is a sports site yet seems like tv and movies section is the busiest forum here.

Heck the video game section is probably more busy then the main NBA section here. Heck the Packers board is dead and that use to be like one of the busiest forums here at PSD. People need to start spamming PSD links on twitter or some where to luring in more posters. I link PSD on twitter every now and then. Get more lurkers but not many join.

you're right, its much slower here. probably because everyone is on their smartphones these days. I still use this site from an actual PC, it's probably a much better experience from a PC.

NET's forum was really active even when they were bad before but no one has posted there in months, its like the forum doesnt exist anymore.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-19-2015, 11:34 AM
you're right, its much slower here. probably because everyone is on their smartphones these days. I still use this site from an actual PC, it's probably a much better experience from a PC.

NET's forum was really active even when they were bad before but no one has posted there in months, its like the forum doesnt exist anymore.

I use to post over at the Nets talking trades. Cause it seemed Nets owner had a crush on Ersan. So I was over there posting up trade ideas since we were linked with Nets. Then once Kidd and the rumors of Sanders or Lopez.

bucketss
11-19-2015, 03:26 PM
Raps need a PF in the worst way.

Wouldn't mind a package of DeRozan + pick(s) to Phoenix for Markeiff and Booker.

Lol i remember people were hesitant to give up patrick patterson for markieff now its probably gonna take derozan + a pick. unless kieff starts up again with the trade demands.

koreancabbage
11-19-2015, 08:03 PM
Lol i remember people were hesitant to give up patrick patterson for markieff now its probably gonna take derozan + a pick. unless kieff starts up again with the trade demands.

na. Derozan is much highly regarded around the league than Markieff.

koreancabbage
11-19-2015, 08:06 PM
LOL I like how you went off-topic about the biyombo situation. It really irks me to see people pass him the ball when he has the worst hands ever as well. I would do that Martin Trade in a heart beat.

I segway-ed that guys trade remark into something that could beneficial to the Raps. i.e. I believe Dieng is a better option than Biyombo in those situations. Imagine how many easy baskets Dieng would have if he was in Biyombo's position? LOL guy can't catch a ball in traffic at all.