PDA

View Full Version : Any chance Anthony Davis asks for a trade in the next couple seasons?

saints.raptors
11-15-2015, 05:35 PM
I haven't seen this discussed anywhere, so I thought I would bring it up.

He is putting up rediculous numbers, but his team just doesn't seem to be able to translate that into wins.

Any chance he asks for a trade? If so, who would have the assets to make a trade work?

I'd love to see the Raptors get him, but we would probably have to send Derozan, Valanciunas, and other assets. Would leave our team pretty bare.

Thoughts....

Dade County
11-15-2015, 06:06 PM
Yeah, i think it should happen in the next 2 to 3 weeks.

Hopefully he ends up out east.

Not saing this trade will happen, i just like great players in winning situations, better product when it comes to the playoffs.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-15-2015, 06:12 PM
If he wanted a trade he wouldn't of signed the extension.

GiantsSwaGG
11-15-2015, 06:13 PM
KP and AD playing alongside would be deadly :sick:

flea
11-15-2015, 06:16 PM
Yeah, i think it should happen in the next 2 to 3 weeks.

Hopefully he ends up out east.

Not saing this trade will happen, i just like great players in winning situations, better product when it comes to the playoffs.

Maybe he should play better then. Injuries have slowed the start of the season and it's obvious the team needs Asik to be anything close to competent defensively. He's young though I think he'll improve and so will the team.

JasonJohnHorn
11-15-2015, 06:19 PM
I think this season was a step forward. Instead, it seems to be a giant step back. After an 8/th of the season, which isn't even that far, they are already 8 games under .500. That means that to finish with as many wins as they had last season, which mind you barely got them into the playoffs, they will have to win 44/72 games, which would put them at 61% (or a 50-win pace). That hardly seems likely given that they are playing as bad as the Lakers right now, and that last year the only played at a 55% clip. They have to improve by huge leads and bounds immediately just to be as good as they were last year, and have to play as good as last year (which still requires a drastic and immediate improvement) just to finish at .500

I don't think Davis is going to demand a trade this year, but if this $#!T is still going on next year, it will be an issue. This year, it could be a blessing; they may get a high pick. But yeah... nobody putting up MVP numbers wants to be on a cellar dweller.

Dade County
11-15-2015, 06:26 PM
Maybe he should play better then. Injuries have slowed the start of the season and it's obvious the team needs Asik to be anything close to competent defensively. He's young though I think he'll improve and so will the team.

Yes i know they have injuries, but it still doesnt mean they will be trully competing out west anytime soon.

Yeah sure, they can be a good team, but for atleast 3yrs they want be able to come close to beating other true contenders out West.

Then maybe year 4 or 5 they make it to the 2nd rd & fans scream bloody murder if he tries to leave as a freeagent (saying stuff like, were close, all we need is a couple of more pieces...blah).

But he got his money, so i am guessing thats all that matters.

mrblisterdundee
11-15-2015, 06:26 PM
I haven't seen this discussed anywhere, so I thought I would bring it up.

He is putting up rediculous numbers, but his team just doesn't seem to be able to translate that into wins.

Any chance he asks for a trade? If so, who would have the assets to make a trade work?

I'd love to see the Raptors get him, but we would probably have to send Derozan, Valanciunas, and other assets. Would leave our team pretty bare.

Thoughts....

His team has dealt with a ton of injuries. It's hard to see if a roster works when the stars are never all on the court at the same time.
The ask for Anthony Davis would be huge. As the GM in New Orleans, I would make sure any deal for Davis included Jrue Holiday.

numba1CHANGsta
11-15-2015, 06:30 PM
Idk why he re-signed, I guess he doesn't like winning. I'm guessing his thoughts were for the biggest contract he could possibly get or actually thought the Pelicans could build a championship team around him lmao if he actually thought that was possible

Saddletramp
11-15-2015, 06:39 PM
Like has been said, they're hurt and there's a new coach with a new system. It'll take time.

There's no way he gets traded, whether he wants one or not for a few years. I guess if someone like Golden State offers up Green, Klay and Ezeli plus a first or two, then sure. Maybe. But I doubt anyone comes up with enough of a haul for arguably one of the top 3 or 4 guys in the league.

He signed. He's staying. Hope he's happy.

HandsOnTheWheel
11-15-2015, 06:40 PM
No and hypothetically they would not trade him.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-15-2015, 07:00 PM
Pelicans have some capspace to lure in a decent free agent since well you figure Davis is a top 5 player in the league. Then sign their own guys and go over the cap with bird rights. Also could see some trades as well. Cap is predicted to be like $90M next year so they have like $26M. That's little less then super max of $30M or whatever the super max is.

Gordon, Anderson, Cole, Perkins, Smith, Jimmer all expire after this season. Then next season Evans and Holiday be $21.4M expiring contracts. So they got plenty of wiggle room to keep Davis happy. Also if injuries continue then well they get a lottery pick and miss the playoffs. Then they cross their fingers they nail that lottery pick and it's a super star. Then spend that $25M and go after third star. They be back in business pretty quick.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/new-orleans-pelicans-team-salary/

mrblisterdundee
11-15-2015, 07:57 PM
KP and AD playing alongside would be deadly :sick:

How exactly would the Knicks get Anthony Davis without giving up Kristaps Porzingis? And don't try to sell anybody on Carmelo Anthony going to the Pelicans.

TheNumber37
11-15-2015, 08:15 PM
Sure?

Vampirate
11-15-2015, 08:35 PM
How exactly would the Knicks get Anthony Davis without giving up Kristaps Porzingis? And don't try to sell anybody on Carmelo Anthony going to the Pelicans.

If the Pelicans asked for literally anyone on the Roster on the Knicks right now, Davis would be a knick already.

This goes for every single team except for Cleveland, Okc and maybe the Spurs.

valade16
11-15-2015, 08:58 PM
I love how every teams fanbase is like "the cap goes up next year so we have a lot of money to lure FAs". EVERY team does. A lot of you are going to be disappointed lol.

Saddletramp
11-15-2015, 09:19 PM
I love how every teams fanbase is like "the cap goes up next year so we have a lot of money to lure FAs". EVERY team does. A lot of you are going to be disappointed lol.

Somebody's going to be using $20 million a year on Josh Smith or Pau Gasol or David Lee. If every team gets an extra $15- 20 million, the rich will get richer and the crappy teams will just have pricier crappy teams.

KnicksorBust
11-15-2015, 09:37 PM

Somebody's going to be using $20 million a year on Josh Smith or Pau Gasol or David Lee. If every team gets an extra $15- 20 million, the rich will get richer and the crappy teams will just have pricier crappy teams.

Yeah it is going to be ugly but if there is anyone who should be able to lure a top FA it is the longest top 5 player in the league right now.

TrueFan420
11-15-2015, 09:38 PM
If the Pelicans asked for literally anyone on the Roster on the Knicks right now, Davis would be a knick already.

This goes for every single team except for Cleveland, Okc and maybe the Spurs.
Warriors wouldn't give up Curry for him

Dade County
11-15-2015, 10:49 PM
Yeah it is going to be ugly but if there is anyone who should be able to lure a top FA it is the longest top 5 player in the league right now.

N.O will not get a star free agent to go there, we all know this.

It would be nice though... but i can only see an over hype free agent signing there.

AD would have to make it public that he wants out. Then you will have teams like, Lakers, HEAT, Rockets, Bulls all going after him.

It would have to get real nasty, like AD not showing up to games for them to trade him.

ewing
11-15-2015, 11:00 PM
he should wait til he is free agent and collude to create super team. Every player with legit all NBA talent deserves a walk to the championship. I mean the dude is already 22, when does AD get what he deserves?

Dade County
11-15-2015, 11:29 PM
he should wait til he is free agent and collude to create super team. Every player with legit all NBA talent deserves a walk to the championship. I mean the dude is already 22, when does AD get what he deserves?

He doesn't have to do all of that lol

But the West is already top heavy loaded with true contenders (not media hyped up fake contenders, like in the East).

But I feel it would be better if AD or KD could make their way out East.

valade16
11-15-2015, 11:38 PM

Depends. If he decides to stay knowing he has a terrible supporting cast and never ends up winning a title and everyone then claims he isn't that great because he never won a title, then what incentive does he have to stick it out with a terrible supporting cast?

Saddletramp
11-15-2015, 11:41 PM
Depends. If he decides to stay knowing he has a terrible supporting cast and never ends up winning a title and everyone then claims he isn't that great because he never won a title, then what incentive does he have to stick it out with a terrible supporting cast?

Logic on this topic hasn't worked for 5 years, what makes you think it will now?

Vinny642
11-16-2015, 12:33 AM
IM sure Davis realizes his team is injured. LMAO foh

Quinnsanity
11-16-2015, 08:14 AM
Why would he? That New Orleans situation is really sneakily interesting. They'll be in the lottery this season, maybe fairly high if they start to tank (which they absolutely might). Gordon and Anderson expire this summer and Holiday and Evans expire next summer, so they'll be able to rebuild on the fly, and with Davis they have the ultimate recruiting tool in a legitimate MVP candidate hitting his prime. There's just not a team he could go to that could actually afford to trade for him AND keep a contender around him. I mean... maybe Golden State? Like Thompson and Draymond for Davis and Gordon? Even that's a stretch, and I don't think the Warriors would do it anyway. So there's really no beneficial reason for him to want out at this point. A few years down the line? We'll see.

ewing
11-16-2015, 09:09 AM

how about the 20 plus mil a year contract he just signed?

IBleedPurple
11-16-2015, 12:20 PM
Idk why he re-signed, I guess he doesn't like winning. I'm guessing his thoughts were for the biggest contract he could possibly get or actually thought the Pelicans could build a championship team around him lmao if he actually thought that was possibleEh, if I'm a young guy coming off a rookie deal, I take the home team contract and then see what happens. Then, no matter what (unless you are a financial idiot like many NBA players), you are taken care of for life. Then worry about winning a championship later. Most players follow the same path.

As for AD, doubt he asks for a trade.

Vinny642
11-16-2015, 04:57 PM
If we have a situation like we did with CP3 then I could see him going.
That was years and years of no improvements at all. But from a couple bad games, no, he isn't gonna demand a trade.

FlashBolt
11-16-2015, 05:13 PM
Davis is coming back strong. He had a few really terrible games but his past few games have been amazing. If he does demand a trade, he needs to realize it is still too early. He's only what? One year into an elite season? Once it gets to the point where he's at his third/fourth elite season, he should start looking for alternatives.

Stunner
11-17-2015, 01:42 PM
He's going home to Chicago

GiantsSwaGG
11-17-2015, 06:18 PM
N.O will not get a star free agent to go there, we all know this.

It would be nice though... but i can only see an over hype free agent signing there.

AD would have to make it public that he wants out. Then you will have teams like, Lakers, HEAT, Rockets, Bulls all going after him.

It would have to get real nasty, like AD not showing up to games for them to trade him.

Seriously what do the heat have to offer? Lol

tredigs
11-17-2015, 06:52 PM
Lol he has zero leverage to demand a trade, he's signed until the year 2022. Here's a general outline of how that debate would go.

AD: I demand a trade.

Pelicans: **** off and get on the court.

AD: OK.

Realistically, he's good enough and young enough that another marquee free agent could be interested in playing there. And hey, maybe they hit it big in the lottery this year.

Dade County
11-17-2015, 07:40 PM
Seriously what do the heat have to offer? Lol

You seen the word HEAT, and you couldn't resist hating.

You could of easily said what can Houston offer etc...smh

Whiteside or Bosh, Winslow...etc

Lol he has zero leverage to demand a trade, he's signed until the year 2022. Here's a general outline of how that debate would go.

AD: I demand a trade.

Pelicans: **** off and get on the court.

AD: OK.

Realistically, he's good enough and young enough that another marquee free agent could be interested in playing there. And hey, maybe they hit it big in the lottery this year.

There is no proof of this ever happening for that franchise, so until it does; this type of thinking can not be counted on.

Most likely what will happen is they get an over hype free agent to sign there buy paying him almost max dollars; insert Demar Derozan.

I wish AD luck though, but I know he will not make it out of the West as things stand today (and as history has shown).

tredigs
11-17-2015, 07:57 PM

There is no proof of this ever happening for that franchise, so until it does; this type of thinking can not be counted on.

Most likely what will happen is they get an over hype free agent to sign there buy paying him almost max dollars; insert Demar Derozan.

I wish AD luck though, but I know he will not make it out of the West as things stand today (and as history has shown).

You don't rule something out simply because it has not happened for them. It hasn't happened for any franchise... until it does. My point is they certainly have a much better shot at drawing in some talent with a kid like AD than they do otherwise.

That said, their best shot is keeping their current trajectory and lucking out with Simmons or another stud from the draft. Being that they have AD through the 2021 season, they still have plenty of time to cultivate a young/strong program.

Dade County
11-17-2015, 08:39 PM
You don't rule something out simply because it has not happened for them. It hasn't happened for any franchise... until it does.

You are right.

But the league would have to set that up, I don't see it naturally happening.

My point is they certainly have a much better shot at drawing in some talent with a kid like AD than they do otherwise.

They do... Above avg players and so on.

But what they need is another star player next to him, or 3 or 4 above avg skill set players.

That said, their best shot is keeping their current trajectory and lucking out with Simmons or another stud from the draft. Being that they have AD through the 2021 season, they still have plenty of time to cultivate a young/strong program.

But my thought process is, what about the years AD has been there already.

They know what they have (AD is a borderline super star), but still no real help for him, not saying that his team sucks, because they don't. But look at what you just said, they need to luck up in the draft..etc

So it's going to take 3 more years just so AD might have the chance of contending? Then in year 4 or 5, they become somewhat good, and the N.O fans scream bloody murder if he tries to sign somewhere else. But no one whats to factor in that AD would have been there 7 to 8 yrs.

Some organizations get it, and others don't. I just rather see AD playing deep into the playoffs as soon as possible, he can go anywhere; I just like seeing talent like that playing for something late into the playoffs.

Thats all.

tredigs
11-17-2015, 09:43 PM
How many stars contend before their 7th year in the league though? Not very many. Stars by and large go to losing organizations, it's the nature of the business. The downside nowadays is that with college ball essentially no longer existing, they aren't getting a finely tuned prospect, but a project. Makes for a longer NBA career, but it also means that player won't be dominant enough to lead a team into the playoffs until 3+ years in most of the time.

Dade County
11-17-2015, 11:09 PM
How many stars contend before their 7th year in the league though?

Only the lucky ones.

Kobe, Wade, Magic, Bird, Lbj (Cav's vs Spurs), Timmy. (But thats why there is solo much hype around these players, because they did it young)

Rose had a chance too, but the league kind of F'ed him over; that should of been the HEAT's number 1 pick. Miami would have never had to free up money to sign a player like Mike Miller (remember they traded Beasley to Minny to free up money).

Rose would have been in Miami when Lbj & Bosh signed on to the HEAT a year later (that would have been epic), but yeah you are right, on the most part it doesn't workout that way.

(and maybe Rose doesn't get hurt because of less stress on his legs)

Not very many. Stars by and large go to losing organizations, it's the nature of the business. The downside nowadays is that with college ball essentially no longer existing, they aren't getting a finely tuned prospect, but a project. Makes for a longer NBA career, but it also means that player won't be dominant enough to lead a team into the playoffs until 3+ years in most of the time.

True.

GiantsSwaGG
11-17-2015, 11:41 PM

lol stop. Whiteside will be a FA next year, no one wants Bosh or that horrible contract and Winslow might be your only trade asset plus you have no draft picks.

Dade County
11-18-2015, 01:58 AM
lol stop. Whiteside will be a FA next year, no one wants Bosh or that horrible contract and Winslow might be your only trade asset plus you have no draft picks.

You are not lying but it still doesnt explain why you singled out me writing HEAT, & not the other teams i wrote.

Of course N.O isnt going to trade AD, but if they wanted to (or forced to), what could those other teams offer ( the ones you skipped over, & want striaght for Miami)?

If Whiteside would re-sign there, what could those other teams offer better then him (not in no way saying thats a fair trade for AD)?

But this is just hypothetical anyway.

ewing
11-19-2015, 03:59 PM

who says you cant win a title with AD as your best player and Demar Derozan as your second option?

king4day
11-19-2015, 09:11 PM
He might ask for one but no chance the Pels give in. They have him locked up for the next half decade. They own him until the final year when he will finally have leverage.

slashsnake
11-20-2015, 08:19 AM
Well the Pelicans have absolutely no reason to trade him before his final season of his new deal unless he makes himself a quitter or a team destroyer which is not helpful for him from an endorsement standpoint, and would probably scare off some teams a bit. So 2020 is when he gains real leverage.

In order for the Pelicans to move on, they need something then more tempting than a young franchise center with both end of the court superstar written all over him.

Long term, them finishing awfully, and getting a top 5 pick in next years draft might be the best thing for them with them not being a major free agent draw.