PDA

View Full Version : Rondo posts back-to-back triple doubles; has he 'returned'?

JasonJohnHorn
11-14-2015, 12:45 PM
After his stint with Dallas last season, it seemed like Rondo's injuries in Boston had caused permanent damage and that he might not be able to return to form.

The King rolled the dice on him this summer, and though they aren't winning much yet, Rondo just posted back-to-back triple doubles.

Does this mark the return of Rondo? Or is this just a fluke? Will be prove to be the steal of free agency? Or regress back his his Dallas-level of performance?

WaDe03
11-14-2015, 12:53 PM
Find out, on the next episode of Dragonball Z!

ManRam
11-14-2015, 01:02 PM
he looks better...and there's hope that he's slowly resurrecting...but....

huge counting numbers on huge minutes and crazy pace are a little less impressive than otherwise. more FGA than points isn't good. he's constantly posting negative +/- numbers. the team has been considerably better with him off the court than on. -10.2 when he's out there, +3.6 when he's not. small sample size (129 minutes off vs. 303 on) and collison being very good certainly influences that, but the point remains.

IndyRealist
11-14-2015, 01:02 PM
I'm not sure anyone thought it was injuries, but rather his inability to get along with his coach and follow the system, that led to his exit from Dallas.

DillyDill
11-14-2015, 02:15 PM
Hell yeeeaaa him and Big Cous are a monster duo

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-14-2015, 02:17 PM
Season is still early. Also wait and see how healthy he is 20 or 30 more games in. He usually gets injured every season so time will tell.

JEDean89
11-14-2015, 02:36 PM
Thought he was a great fit with GK, always thought the Nuggets should have gone after him for Ty. I think the Kings mess is overblown, and that they will compete for a playoff spot. Rondo-Gay-Cousins is a nice core, and McLemore, Caulley Stein, Koufos are good role players to surround them with. It's a shame that Collison went down, but I still have them at around 40 wins.

FlashBolt
11-14-2015, 04:06 PM
He definitely looks better but I find PG's that can't shoot very iffy. You're losing a whole lot when your PG can't shoot and especially when they can't hit FT's. Still waiting on Rondo to mentally explode, too. That moment when Rondo isn't the craziest on your team.. lol. BTW, if Cousins plans on being a top 10 player, he should fix his attitude. This guy will just be another good player who never won a thing because he's too childish.

kobe4thewinbang
11-14-2015, 05:03 PM
Cousins is beasting (30 and 40 back to back), so he has some good players to pass to. But he's been playing entire games ("stat padding", e.g. he had 9 rebounds in the final minute of the baby blue jersey game for his trip-dub) which must be bugging Collison unless he's SG or something, lol, but yeah he's been better than expected. Contract
year and all that.

Dunno why he is being encouraged to shoot this much, but 3 turnovers/9 assists is pretty good ratio vompared to other playmakers early in the season. Other players either have less TOs and less assists (e.g. LeBron, Curry) or more TOs with similar assists, e.g. Westbrook at 5 TOs per. So, yeah, Rondo is back but the team needs to win more games, which I'm hopeful they will, and they have lost some close ones. I think they're surprising people. I'm surprised Lakers are doing so poorly, but that's another topic.

FlashBolt
11-14-2015, 05:09 PM
Cousins is beasting (30 and 40 back to back), so he has some good players to pass to. But he's been playing entire games ("stat padding", e.g. he had 9 rebounds in the final minute of the baby blue jersey game for his trip-dub) which must be bugging Collison unless he's SG or something, lol, but yeah he's been better than expected. Dunno why he is being encouraged to shoot this much, but 3 turnovers/9 assists is pretty good ratio vompared to other playmakers early in the season. Other players either have less TOs and less assists or more TOs with similar assists, e.g. Westbrook at 5 TOs per. So, yeah, Rondo is back but the team needs to win more games, which I'm hopeful they will, and they have lost some close ones. I think they're surprising people. I'm surprised Lakers are doing so poorly, but that's another topic.

They will go nowhere if they have no leadership. Cousins isn't a leader and is a crybaby. He needs to grow up before they will ever get anywhere.

kobe4thewinbang
11-14-2015, 05:16 PM
Cousins could be less temperamental but he'd have changed by now. That fire helped him drop 40 in the second half. His talent once reigned in is undeniable, so he's a pretty good #2 option. Maybe the new kid will become a star or McLemore.

FlashBolt
11-14-2015, 05:45 PM
Cousins could be less temperamental but he'd have changed by now. That fire helped him drop 40 in the second half. His talent once reigned in is undeniable, so he's a pretty good #2 option. Maybe the new kid will become a star or McLemore.

He already is a star but there are about 20 NBA stars and then five superstars.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-14-2015, 06:40 PM
Triple doubles are easy for some if given the minutes. Heck MCW got a bunch with 76ers. Heck if the Bucks played Monroe more minutes he could get a triple double. He's pretty much a double-double a night guy. Also always had like 4-5 assists most nights. Another 10 or so minutes he could do it.

Sactown
11-14-2015, 06:43 PM
He already is a star but there are about 20 NBA stars and then five superstars.

Eh plenty of teammates of been impressed with the strides DMC has taken as a leader , does he get fiery at times? Absolutely nobody hates losing like he does, but part of being a leader is awknowledging mistakes which he has done , he takes accountability for his actions and leans on teammates when he's unsure if he's done the right thing .

He demands stability and effort from everyone in the franchise , requesting the Kings keep George Karl even if their relationship goes through hard times , he is flawed but it's unfair to say he's a headcase and not a leader because he's emotional on the court yet has never done anything off the court . He is loved by Sacramento for a reason

As for Rondo , he is shooting the ball well on the first half and tiring out in the 2nd due to injurys . He has to score because our 2nd and 3rd leading scorers missed the last game and our 3rd has missed the last four .

valade16
11-14-2015, 06:44 PM
Triple doubles are easy for some if given the minutes. Heck MCW got a bunch with 76ers. Heck if the Bucks played Monroe more minutes he could get a triple double. He's pretty much a double-double a night guy. Also always had like 4-5 assists most nights. Another 10 or so minutes he could do it.

Greg Monroe might be able to do it once but Rondo is doing it fairly regularly.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-14-2015, 06:47 PM
Greg Monroe might be able to do it once but Rondo is doing it fairly regularly.

Rondo use to get plenty of triples back with Celtics as well. Nothing new.

valade16
11-14-2015, 08:05 PM
Rondo use to get plenty of triples back with Celtics as well. Nothing new.

I wasn't suggesting it was new, I was saying it is still impressive. Magic's 100th triple double was no less impressive than his 1st because he had done it 99 times before.

bagwell368
11-15-2015, 10:30 PM
Rondo? A jerk first and always. Throw in the morbid shooting, the frequent injuries, and his ability to totally mess up a good thing for himself - it's only a matter of time before he's in some other jam.

Read my sig

Jeffy25
11-18-2015, 04:05 AM
Since getting 40 minutes on 11/7

Rondo has put up 13.2/9.2/14.0 with 2.8 steals but 5.6 turnovers in five games

Only a .425 TS% of course, because he's never been able to shoot, usage is at 20.1%

But 26% turnover rate. That's just too high, along with a lot of missed shots.

You can compile assists and points by completing possessions with the ball. And you can grab boards if you'll crash defensively. But this many turnovers and missed shots isn't exactly helping the Kings a whole lot.