PDA

View Full Version : klay thompson is barely an all star

blahblahyoutoo
11-12-2015, 11:50 PM
talks last year about him almost at superstar status are premature.
this year, i'm not seeing anything from him that even suggests that he's an allstar.

it's not drawing much attention right now because curry is playing at another level and GS is undefeated but if klay doesn't pick it up, GS has no chance of repeating.

tredigs
11-12-2015, 11:52 PM
i'm not seeing anything from him that even suggests that he's an allstar.

it's not drawing much attention right now because curry is playing at another level and GS is undefeated but if klay doesn't pick it up, GS has no chance of repeating.

#1) I agree, he's barely an All-Star.

#2) He'll pick it up.

#3) Crazily, they would. You're bringing this thread up due to his struggles, yet they're 10-0 with a margin of victory that crushes everyone else in the league. And they've played real teams.

blahblahyoutoo
11-12-2015, 11:54 PM
#1) I agree, he's barely an All-Star.

#2) He'll pick it up.

#3) Crazily, they would. You're bringing this thread up due to his struggles, yet they're 10-0 with a margin of victory that crushes everyone else in the league. And they've played real teams.

3a. Curry is playing out of his mind right now
3b. playoff bball is different from regular season bball.
3c. size is going to continue to give GS issues (see tristan and mozgov last finals)

tredigs
11-13-2015, 12:01 AM
3c. size is going to continue to give GS issues (see tristan and mozgov last finals)

Curry just put up an insanely efficient 46 and I don't even think he played close to his potential. Couldn't believe the stats when I read them. He's just that good at this point.

Correct, the playoffs are different. But you do realize Klay is underperforming, right? He'll very likely regain his form and be better than his current level once the playoffs hit.

Ezeli is better (which is huge), and Draymond is better. That will help them versus size. But agreed, that will be one of ways to try to exploit them.

Long story short, we could make this thread about every team in the NBA, and the Warriors will come out looking like the team to beat any way you cut it.

slashsnake
11-13-2015, 05:23 AM
I'd agree on him as a borderline all star right now.

Great shooter, doesn't really press the D at a high level outside of that (not getting your bigs into foul trouble, own the paint, etc), not an exceptional passer or rebounder at his position. Solid D, but again, not exceptional. Can create his own shot a bit, but much better when he can catch and shoot when others draw the D.

If he's not on a 65+ win team he's Bradley Beal or Kevin Martin. I'd consider him and them and DeRozan on a really similar level. Throw George Hill in that mix too.

Harden to me right this moment is the premier SG. I'd put Butler myself over Klay. Wade maybe but getting closer. I love Klay in that role, but I think that's the perfect role for him. I don't know if he could be as successful as the #1 guy on a team.

ewing
11-13-2015, 09:44 AM
this year, i'm not seeing anything from him that even suggests that he's an allstar.

i disagree, that team has a lot offensive. They can beat anyone with Klay scoring 15 a game.

IndyRealist
11-13-2015, 12:23 PM

3c. Bogut is playing well in limited minutes, and Ezeli is playing really well (as Tredigs said). if they keep Bogut's minutes down until the playoffs, that eliminates any advantage a big team has.

Wade n Fade
11-13-2015, 12:59 PM
They don't need him to be a superstar. He had a slew of horrible NBA finals games, yet they still won because their team is just really balanced and deep.

Scoots
11-13-2015, 01:35 PM
Klay's shot has been off and he's deferring on offense more because of it. But his D has actually been better than it was last year.

Still just a borderline all-star in a still weak SG group.

Scoots
11-13-2015, 01:37 PM
3c. Bogut is playing well in limited minutes, and Ezeli is playing really well (as Tredigs said). if they keep Bogut's minutes down until the playoffs, that eliminates any advantage a big team has.

And Speights, and Jason Thompson, and maybe James Michael McAdoo can get enough minutes to become a contributor this season.

The Warriors have plenty of bigs to play defense and rebound. The Warriors going big isn't the problem for other teams ... it's the Warriors going small.

Sadds The Gr8
11-13-2015, 03:02 PM
the buzz on here last season about him being better than Harden was stupid.

Scoots
11-13-2015, 03:52 PM
the buzz on here last season about him being better than Harden was stupid.

He is better than Harden. In shooting and defense. Everything else, he's not.

Gagan136
11-13-2015, 04:18 PM

So hes not better than Harden.

FlashBolt
11-13-2015, 04:22 PM

Not when you phrase it like that. He's not better than Harden = he's not a better player.

Vee-Rex
11-13-2015, 04:29 PM
Klay will be fine.

Scoots
11-13-2015, 04:43 PM
Not when you phrase it like that. He's not better than Harden = he's not a better player.

It's all about framing :)

Aesthetically he's a better player :) To me anyway.

mavwar53
11-13-2015, 04:46 PM
Klaus has actually had some back problems to start the year, he's said the last few games he's feeling much better according to tv and radio reports.

Scoots
11-13-2015, 05:14 PM
Klaus has actually had some back problems to start the year, he's said the last few games he's feeling much better according to tv and radio reports.

I had forgotten about that.

ewing
11-13-2015, 07:16 PM
I had forgotten about that.

I wouldn't be considered. Your guys are 10-0, just won an NBA championship without him having a great playoffs IMO, and common sense says his play will get better.

KnicksorBust
11-13-2015, 09:55 PM
It is funny because he was off to a scorching start last year and I thought people were hyping him too much and now he is off to a slow start and I feel the opposite. Lol. :)

JasonJohnHorn
11-14-2015, 11:49 AM
"barely and all-star"?

lol

Let me translate: "This guy is awesome, but he's not that awesome."

What's the problem here? Green and Barnes are improving, Curry is playing at an historic level, obviously not everybody on the team is going to average 30 points a game.

When Allen played with Garnett and Pierce, he averages in the teens.

Klay is shooting 38% from the arc, and 48% inside the arc, and he's helping to open things up for Curry and other guys. It's a TEAM sport; these guys are working their offence like the Spurs. That means some guys will get the ball less than they would if they were playing for the 76ers, but that they will also be in a position to win.

THEY ARE UNDEFEATED for crying out loud. How much better do they have to play?

FlashBolt
11-14-2015, 04:18 PM
I'd waver that barely being an All-Star in the West is actually still very good. Guys like Lillard will probably get snubbed this season. Klay shouldn't be an All-Star at all, though. He's still a very good player who can make a difference.

likemystylez
11-14-2015, 04:18 PM
This thread kind of makes the warriors an even more scary team. Obviously Klay is capable of playing a lot better, They have played the entire season without their head coach, and their starting center (all defensive 2nd team last yr) has been out the vast majority of the season...... Yet they are still beating teams by 16 ppg, and have only trailed on 2 occasions at any point in the second half.

likemystylez
11-14-2015, 04:20 PM
I'd waver that barely being an All-Star in the West is actually still very good. Guys like Lillard will probably get snubbed this season. Klay shouldn't be an All-Star at all, though. He's still a very good player who can make a difference.

Klay is not playing as well as he was last year... but its ridiculous for a 67 win team in this conference to just have one all star.

Scoots
11-14-2015, 06:58 PM
Green may make it this year ... and Klay is clearly hampered in his mobility still.

likemystylez
11-14-2015, 07:38 PM
Green may make it this year ... and Klay is clearly hampered in his mobility still.

heres an interesting question. If we have a scenario where steve kerr comes back a week or so before the all star game and the warriors are far and away the best team in the west at the all star game..... who coaches the west? Kerr or walton

Scoots
11-15-2015, 12:42 AM
Kerr AND Walton?

tredigs
11-15-2015, 12:53 AM
heres an interesting question. If we have a scenario where steve kerr comes back a week or so before the all star game and the warriors are far and away the best team in the west at the all star game..... who coaches the west? Kerr or walton

Really? Kerr, obviously. The Warriors are an engine at this point, and Kerr had a massive impact in creating that engine. Walton's putting the gas in the tank and watching it run.

Arch Stanton
11-15-2015, 02:45 AM
This thread kind of makes the warriors an even more scary team. Obviously Klay is capable of playing a lot better, They have played the entire season without their head coach, and their starting center (all defensive 2nd team last yr) has been out the vast majority of the season...... Yet they are still beating teams by 16 ppg, and have only trailed on 2 occasions at any point in the second half.

Don't slouch on Luke. He's a good basketball mind.

Arch Stanton
11-15-2015, 02:46 AM

Why is he hampered?

likemystylez
11-15-2015, 03:17 AM
Why is he hampered?

hes been having back spasms all year. a few games ago- the warriors announcers made it sound like he was past them and that he was feeling great... although today he sat out.

it might be a conditioning issue with him coming to camp out of shape or something. no real reason for him to be suffering back problems at 24 yrs old

Arch Stanton
11-15-2015, 03:19 AM
hes been having back spasms all year. a few games ago- the warriors announcers made it sound like he was past them and that he was feeling great... although today he sat out.

it might be a conditioning issue with him coming to camp out of shape or something. no real reason for him to be suffering back problems at 24 yrs old

Kevin Love had back spasm last year, because he came to camp out of shape. So that makes sense.

likemystylez
11-15-2015, 03:21 AM
its unfortunate for klay because he showed so much growth in his game last year, and with still a few yrs to go before he hits his prime- he really had a chance to become one of the elite two way players in the game this season

Arch Stanton
11-15-2015, 03:28 AM
its unfortunate for klay because he showed so much growth in his game last year, and with still a few yrs to go before he hits his prime- he really had a chance to become one of the elite two way players in the game this season

I wouldn't worry about it. Most teams would take that situation.

Scoots
11-15-2015, 11:38 AM
Tall people, even young ones, often have muscle spasms in their back. The concern here is more about it lasting as long. Against the Wolves Klay was moving notably worse.

The way the Nets game went makes Klay's value to the team more clear.

blahblahyoutoo
11-15-2015, 07:33 PM
THEY ARE UNDEFEATED for crying out loud. How much better do they have to play?

I was talking about the team, not the individual.

tredigs
11-16-2015, 12:05 PM
Tall people, even young ones, often have muscle spasms in their back. The concern here is more about it lasting as long. Against the Wolves Klay was moving notably worse.

Well Barbosa was out as well and anytime you have to start the corpse of Brandon Rush 20+ minutes it's not going to be ideal. But yes, Klay is important to our spacing, he just needs to be much more aggressive this year like he was starting to flash last season. Hopefully the time off will help his back situation.

Scoots
11-16-2015, 01:33 PM
Well Barbosa was out as well and anytime you have to start the corpse of Brandon Rush 20+ minutes it's not going to be ideal. But yes, Klay is important to our spacing, he just needs to be much more aggressive this year like he was starting to flash last season. Hopefully the time off will help his back situation.

His defense is underrated too. Jack likely doesn't get going like that with Klay in the game and the team probably can use Iguodala to slow Young if they don't have to save him for minutes playing guard.

tredigs
11-16-2015, 03:15 PM
His defense is underrated too. Jack likely doesn't get going like that with Klay in the game and the team probably can use Iguodala to slow Young if they don't have to save him for minutes playing guard.
Well, I'd argue his defense is highly overrated actually (he gets talked about like an All NBA level defender, but the reality is that he's average at best and simply plays his role in a very tight defensive machine), but it's certainly better than the current Brandon Rush.

likemystylez
11-16-2015, 07:10 PM

and what was klays excuse during the nba finals. Seems like hes kinda been phoning it in since then. I think hes had 2 20 point games between this year and the finals. Not really acceptable for an all nba defender

likemystylez
11-16-2015, 07:16 PM

so walk me through that again. it kinda sounded like a BS excuse at first glance. so because klay wasn't there- jack went off. If klay was there then iggy would guard thad young, and klay would guard jack. (Granted everyones saying how great curry has looked on defense and he cant handle the test of Jarrett jack??) So because klay wasn't there- the obvious solution is for iggy to guard neither jack or thad young and basically the entire team work less hard on defense by letting the nets shoot 10% over their season average (Im not even sure what their shooting percentage on the road is).

If klay by himself could be the difference in an entire team shooting 50% from the floor and the entire team shooting 40%- he belongs on all defensive first team and probably should be the front runner for defensive player of the yr.

likemystylez
11-16-2015, 07:17 PM
PS- upon further inspection...... it still sounds like a load of crap ;)

tredigs
11-16-2015, 07:37 PM
so walk me through that again. it kinda sounded like a BS excuse at first glance. so because klay wasn't there- jack went off. If klay was there then iggy would guard thad young, and klay would guard jack. (Granted everyones saying how great curry has looked on defense and he cant handle the test of Jarrett jack??) So because klay wasn't there- the obvious solution is for iggy to guard neither jack or thad young and basically the entire team work less hard on defense by letting the nets shoot 10% over their season average (Im not even sure what their shooting percentage on the road is).

If klay by himself could be the difference in an entire team shooting 50% from the floor and the entire team shooting 40%- he belongs on all defensive first team and probably should be the front runner for defensive player of the yr.
Or, the NBA has a ton of variance and sometimes players just have good days. He had an efficient 21 and 12 and got to the line a ton the night before. He's on a little heater and shot the ball 20 times. 28 points isn't exactly a shocker.

That said, I understand you need something to cry about.

likemystylez
11-16-2015, 07:47 PM
Or, the NBA has a ton of variance and sometimes players just have good days. He had an efficient 21 and 12 and got to the line a ton the night before. He's on a little heater and shot the ball 20 times. 28 points isn't exactly a shocker.

That said, I understand you need something to cry about.

so was it just bad luck the game earlier when the t wolves as a team shot 10% above their average as well?.... you could visually see the warriors were not playing nearly as tight on defense.

LOL warriors could be dead last in the league on defense and youd be sitting there saying they just had bad luck in 82 straight games... and players just went off due to variances.

tredigs
11-16-2015, 07:55 PM
so was it just bad luck the game earlier when the t wolves as a team shot 10% above their average as well?.... you could visually see the warriors were not playing nearly as tight on defense.

LOL warriors could be dead last in the league on defense and youd be sitting there saying they just had bad luck in 82 straight games... and players just went off due to variances.

What is your angle that you're crying about this time, exactly? I need to see where you're coming from this time.

They're a top defense. They will continue to be a top defense. That does not mean that there will be nights when teams shoot above their average against them (or any other elite D). Lmao.

likemystylez
11-16-2015, 08:04 PM
What is your angle that you're crying about this time, exactly? I need to see where you're coming from this time.

They're a top defense. They will continue to be a top defense. That does not mean that there will be nights when teams shoot above their average against them (or any other elite D). Lmao.

People never hold them accountable when they screw up. its like listening to bob fitzgerald over the last 20 yrs. The players or the organization are never at fault- its always just bad luck that another player happened to go off or team had a good night.

When an entire team shoots 10% above their average twice in a row- I think a team meeting needs to be called. (assuming you are an elite team). I don't expect 100% every game- but they should set a floor level of 60-70% effort

likemystylez
11-16-2015, 08:05 PM
BTW, even jerry west has said he doesn't like how they've slipped the last week or so. Been reading their own press clippings too much

tredigs
11-16-2015, 08:29 PM
Lmfao.

We got a Warrior fan who wants to hold a special team meeting concerning a squad who is 11-0 with a 17 point margin of victory, ranked top 3 defensively and #1 offensively. One of the nights missing both their starting and backup 2 guard.

If you were the coach of the Warriors, they would all turn their back on you in week 1. That is a fact.

Teams slip up over the course of the season. I'd recommend spending more time concentrating on something in your own life that needs fixing, and less worrying/*****ing about the undefeated defending champs. They'll be just fine.

Scoots
11-17-2015, 01:42 PM
Stylez gonna Stylez.

blahblahyoutoo
03-02-2016, 12:37 PM
what i'm seeing is when curry is out, klay is unable to carry a team.
he is a streak scorer that can put up points when hot, but is not a consistent threat unless wide open, and even then he is streaky.

KnicksorBust
03-02-2016, 12:48 PM
he is a streak scorer that can put up points when hot, but is not a consistent threat unless wide open, and even then he is streaky.

He's an all-star but he's right now he's basically like a super system player. Unless my math is wrong he is getting assisted on 80% of his shots. When Curry sits and the whole system breaks down and he has to create more of his offense naturally his efficiency will drop. I don't think that doesn't mean he can't carry a team it's just that right now he's not used to it.

BKLYNpigeon
03-02-2016, 12:49 PM

look at it this way:

The game is 50% offense and 50% defense.

Say what you will, but he's Great on the Warriors and a Perfect fit.

Bostonjorge
03-02-2016, 01:31 PM
Klay can carry a team just as much as butler or Melo. That's just not his role right now. His role is to be a big championships piece.

I admit he's somewhat streaky but when he get locked and loaded he turns into Curry.

Scoots
03-02-2016, 01:51 PM
Take the best player off of any team then see the 2nd best player (and only remaining significant offensive threat) struggle and proclaim it as the way it will always be. Not the best logic.

Klay is better than ever handling, passing, and driving ... but those are not his strengths for sure.

If Curry missed more than a game at a time the team would adjust better than they did last night. When Curry missed 2 games earlier in the year the 2nd game without Curry Klay had 38 points on 16-27 whereas on the first game Curry missed he had 10 points on 5-15 shooting. It takes a little time to adjust when the top usage player is suddenly out.

COOLbeans
03-02-2016, 03:42 PM
Hed be a great player if running his own team.. Fortunately for him, he's playing with what will become an alltime great in Curry. He's the James Worthy of today's NBA.

CHANGO
03-02-2016, 03:46 PM

Don't say that bro, you are talking about the best SG in the game right now. :hide:

CHANGO
03-02-2016, 03:49 PM
People ignoring his inability to dribble and create for others are ignoring the obvious. He gets assisted most of the time, he doesn't have good dribbling skills, that's not going to get better in 2 weeks if Curry misses sometime that's a work in progress and we don't know if he can get better and that.

Right now he can't carry a team by himself, he's not a 1st option, he is a great shooter with good defense on a great system.

Tony_Starks
03-02-2016, 04:06 PM
Is Klay not being able to "carry a team" really supposed to be a serious knock?

That's not his job. His job is to drain shots and D up and he is excellent at his job.

eDush
03-02-2016, 04:10 PM

By being selected for the all stars last 2 years, it means he is an all star unless you want to indicate what makes an all star if not selected as one which is an honor reserve for playing stellar as oppose to being voted in like a popularity contest. No one is calling Klay a superstar, not even big time homer Warriors fans but he is an all star whether you agree with it or not.

Now Steph is a superstar in the same group as Durant, Lebron, Kobe, Wade, CP3.

eDush
03-02-2016, 04:17 PM

That's not his job. His job is to drain shots and D up and he is excellent at his job.

You don't need to be a superstar to carry a team. An all star can carry a team if he is bringing his A game like we have seen from Kyle Lowry or Lillaird. Klay can as well and has but it's not an every game thing.

eDush
03-02-2016, 04:21 PM
Hed be a great player if running his own team.. Fortunately for him, he's playing with what will become an alltime great in Curry. He's the James Worthy of today's NBA.

You said Barnes is better than Klay which is an insult as Barnes will NEVER be an all star as long as he is a Warriors as the 4th best player on the team :nod:

eDush
03-02-2016, 04:29 PM
Lmfao.

We got a Warrior fan who wants to hold a special team meeting concerning a squad who is 11-0 with a 17 point margin of victory, ranked top 3 defensively and #1 offensively. One of the nights missing both their starting and backup 2 guard.

If you were the coach of the Warriors, they would all turn their back on you in week 1. That is a fact.

Teams slip up over the course of the season. I'd recommend spending more time concentrating on something in your own life that needs fixing, and less worrying/*****ing about the undefeated defending champs. They'll be just fine.

He has already said more than once that he can coach the Warriors better :laugh2:

mavwar53
03-02-2016, 04:41 PM
Love the idiocy of Klay having a poor shooting night without Curry on the floor turning into a Klay bashing for some, how moronic. Haters always looking for a reason.

Tony_Starks
03-02-2016, 04:41 PM
You don't need to be a superstar to carry a team. An all star can carry a team if he is bringing his A game like we have seen from Kyle Lowry or Lillaird. Klay can as well and has but it's not an every game thing.

Yeah but my point is why should carrying a team have anything to do with the criteria for judging how great he is?

I never seen Dumars criticized for that and he has a FMVP under his belt.

Worthy never got criticized for it and he has not only a FMVP but he's top 50.

It's possible to be a great player without that distinction, especially if you already have a great leader.

CHANGO
03-02-2016, 05:26 PM

No. He's the perfect fit for the Warriors. That makes him great. The problem comes when he's calling himself the best SG in the league when he can't even be the man on a team. I just don't see the skill set necessary to be the 1st option on a winning team.

jimm120
03-02-2016, 05:47 PM
I was on a Knicks forum and we spoke about Thompson for a bit.

Someone alluded to him being like Allan Houston and I agree.

He's someone that's extremely talented and a great shooter. But he's simply not a #1 for a good team. He'll have a few all-star seasons, but not a huge amount. He'll score around 20ppg, but usually be a bit below that.

I think that comparison with Allan Houston was correct. Now, of course, he needs to keep it up to stay at that level.

ewing
03-03-2016, 11:25 AM
Klay Thompson could be the best scorer on a good team without problem. That's doesn't mean he is a better or as good as KD at scoring or the that he could be the best scorer and primary play maker on a team but dude can put the ball in the hole. He'd probably score more on another team not less

Scoots
03-03-2016, 12:13 PM
By being selected for the all stars last 2 years, it means he is an all star unless you want to indicate what makes an all star if not selected as one which is an honor reserve for playing stellar as oppose to being voted in like a popularity contest. No one is calling Klay a superstar, not even big time homer Warriors fans but he is an all star whether you agree with it or not.

Now Steph is a superstar in the same group as Durant, Lebron, Kobe, Wade, CP3.

Kobe was an all-star this year without "playing stellar" but by winning a popularity contest while Damian Lillard was left home. The all-star game is not as good a measure of a player's impact as all-nba is, and Klay is likely to make an all-nba team this year too (but not a lock).

Scoots
03-03-2016, 12:15 PM
No. He's the perfect fit for the Warriors. That makes him great. The problem comes when he's calling himself the best SG in the league when he can't even be the man on a team. I just don't see the skill set necessary to be the 1st option on a winning team.

I think Klay's got a reasonable argument as the best SG in the NBA, but that says more about the general weakness of the position than anything else.

Scoots
03-03-2016, 12:18 PM
Klay Thompson could be the best scorer on a good team without problem. That's doesn't mean he is a better or as good as KD at scoring or the that he could be the best scorer and primary play maker on a team but dude can put the ball in the hole. He'd probably score more on another team not less

This. Also, he's fairly clearly the 2nd best shooter in the NBA and he's a 2 way player so his value goes beyond just scoring.

The PG position and the SF position are dominating the NBA right now ... where are all the 6'6" guys going? The number of 6'5" to 6'7" guys in the NFL has skyrocketed and it's a lot easier to make it to the NFL than the NBA ... hmmmmm.

CHANGO
03-03-2016, 03:09 PM
I think Klay's got a reasonable argument as the best SG in the NBA, but that says more about the general weakness of the position than anything else.

IMO Jimmy have a stronger argument, he has better dribbling skills, passing skills and can create his own shot better than Klay.

CHANGO
03-03-2016, 03:12 PM

Scoring more doesn't mean he would be better. Efficiency wise without the Warriors system or Curry he will drop. If you put him in the Sixers for example he will be just another "volume shooter", with no ability to create for others he would stay just like that, a guy who scores a lot with low efficiency.

ewing
03-03-2016, 03:19 PM
Scoring more doesn't mean he would be better. Efficiency wise without the Warriors system or Curry he will drop. If you put him in the Sixers for example he will be just another "volume shooter", with no ability to create for others he would stay just like that, a guy who scores a lot with low efficiency.

you seem to think he is a stand still shooter who gets looks b/c of his system. I think you are wrong. The Warriors are not what makes him efficient. The fact that he is big athletic guard that's really good at putting in the basket is what makes him an efficient scorer. I do agree that he really doesn't create for others much. He does stretch you out and draw multiple defender around screens at times but that is it as far as i have seen

Scoots
03-03-2016, 03:43 PM
IMO Jimmy have a stronger argument, he has better dribbling skills, passing skills and can create his own shot better than Klay.

I didn't say Klay was the best, just that he has an argument.

Scoots
03-03-2016, 03:46 PM
you seem to think he is a stand still shooter who gets looks b/c of his system. I think you are wrong. The Warriors are not what makes him efficient. The fact that he is big athletic guard that's really good at putting in the basket is what makes him an efficient scorer. I do agree that he really doesn't create for others much. He does stretch you out and draw multiple defender around screens at times but that is it as far as i have seen

To be fair, Klay is helped by the Warriors system a lot. But look at his 37 point quarter. Those points were not created for him ... he can do it just fine without help ... he just happens to have a lot of help, and he's not in the top 3 ball handlers on his team because the other 3 guys are really good at it not because he's bad at it.

ewing
03-03-2016, 04:11 PM
To be fair, Klay is helped by the Warriors system a lot. But look at his 37 point quarter. Those points were not created for him ... he can do it just fine without help ... he just happens to have a lot of help, and he's not in the top 3 ball handlers on his team because the other 3 guys are really good at it not because he's bad at it.

I don't think so. Dude would get looks anywhere. He is a sniper, with size, the ability to square on the move, a redic release, and he's a good finisher and has a high IQ. i don't see a role/spot where Klay Thompson doesn't get good looks at the basket. I mean the other dude is right that his efficiency would go down with the Sixers but whose wouldn't?

Gander13SM
03-03-2016, 05:22 PM

To be fair, every player on that roster is helped by the system. And so would any player who joins. That system just creates so many easy looks, especially for sharpshooters like Klay.

I think he would be a top 10 SG anywhere in the league. High caliber defender, good length, dead eye shooter, has improved at attacking the rim, decent post up game against smaller players. I think he might look marginally better on that Warriors team but I don't think there exists a player who wouldn't if they were willing to buy into the system.

Scoots
03-03-2016, 07:07 PM
To be fair, every player on that roster is helped by the system. And so would any player who joins. That system just creates so many easy looks, especially for sharpshooters like Klay.

I think he would be a top 10 SG anywhere in the league. High caliber defender, good length, dead eye shooter, has improved at attacking the rim, decent post up game against smaller players. I think he might look marginally better on that Warriors team but I don't think there exists a player who wouldn't if they were willing to buy into the system.

That's what I was saying.

CHANGO
03-03-2016, 10:33 PM

Well, if you don't think the Warriors system helps every player on the team then IDK what to tell you.

I never said he is a stand still shooter or a spot up shooter, he can create shots for himself from time to time, but he's not the best at it. I think you are seriously underestimating Curry and the other players that create for Klay.

Klay have 452 FGM on this season, of those 452FG, 81.2% are assisted by a teammate. He has created only 85 of the 452 FGM. Couldn't find the Isolation stats but I guess you get the picture.

For comparison sake, comparing those numbers with Butler's numbers;

Klay 452FGM | 81.2% Assisted | 85 FG unassisted or created for himself
Butler 357FGM | 48.5% Assisted | 184 FG unassisted or created for himself

That's a 33% drop-off from Butler to Klay.

Also just found another cool stat, Klay takes 10.5 shots per game without dribbling the ball, 2.2 and 0.3 shots per game when he dribbles 3-6 times and 7+ times the ball... So yeah, on the Warriors he is mostly a spot up shooter or coming out of the screens shooter (forgot the name LOL).

Do I think he would be able to create for others and himself on another team? No.
Do I think he would be able to maintain this efficiency on another team? Absolutely not.

You are underestimating what spacing and W's system can do to your shooting ability.

Kush McDaniels
03-03-2016, 10:52 PM
Well, if you don't think the Warriors system helps every player on the team then IDK what to tell you.

I never said he is a stand still shooter or a spot up shooter, he can create shots for himself from time to time, but he's not the best at it. I think you are seriously underestimating Curry and the other players that create for Klay.

Klay have 452 FGM on this season, of those 452FG, 81.2% are assisted by a teammate. He has created only 85 of the 452 FGM. Couldn't find the Isolation stats but I guess you get the picture.

Also just found another cool stat, Klay takes 10.5 shots per game without dribbling the ball, 2.2 and 0.3 shots per game when he dribbles 3-6 times and 7+ times the ball... So yeah, on the Warriors he is mostly a spot up shooter or coming out of the screens shooter (forgot the name LOL).

Do I think he would be able to create for others and himself on another team? No.
Do I think he would be able to maintain this efficiency on another team? Absolutely not.

You are underestimating what spacing and W's system can do to your shooting ability.

...so you're saying Klay isn't good, and doesn't deserve the ball passed to him?

ewing
03-03-2016, 11:57 PM

i'm not, you are underestimating his ability to score. in a different role he would still score. I not saying he is he best SG in the league. I think that's real debatable and Butler is a good pick. I think Butler is hand down a better defender and has succeeded in a bigger role. I saying i think Klay could definitely get looks and put the ball in the hole efficiently outside of GS. Role matter Klay plays the way he should on GS.

Scoots
03-04-2016, 12:12 AM
Of course Klay is getting most of his shots off a pass. He's 4th among the starters in having the ball in his hands. The Warriors initiate their offense in the middle of the floor and that's not where Klay is. He's getting the shots because the ball is passed to him when he's open to shoot ... is he supposed to not shoot, wait for the defense to get there, then create for himself to help those stats?

Klay can't create for himself not because he can't but because he doesn't have the ball by scheme.

ewing
03-04-2016, 12:27 AM
Of course Klay is getting most of his shots off a pass. He's 4th among the starters in having the ball in his hands. The Warriors initiate their offense in the middle of the floor and that's not where Klay is. He's getting the shots because the ball is passed to him when he's open to shoot ... is he supposed to not shoot, wait for the defense to get there, then create for himself to help those stats?

Klay can't create for himself not because he can't but because he doesn't have the ball by scheme.

you guys average like 30 assists a game and Klay isn't a primary ball handler. Klay hits shots, cuts hard, and finishes well. its not all he can do but it what is needed and he does it well- plus these are transferable skills.

eDush
03-04-2016, 02:29 AM

You think? :laugh2: Klay is so top 3 SG in the league now it's not even funny with a chance to be the best at his position. I doubt you will struggle to named 3 SG that is better than Klay right now.

He can play in any system or no system unlike Barnes so please don't confuse the two okay :nod:

Monta is beast
03-04-2016, 03:53 AM
Theres a stat called gravity. Shows how defenders drift to players. Klay creates spacing for curry to drive. His offensive game is catch and shoot or posting up, but he does it efficiently and plays elite defense. Ill take that all day long. 55-5 yall

jason
03-04-2016, 06:18 AM
He's not as good as Curry at creating his own shots from the 3 because he handles aren't great but he's pretty good making his own ***** inside the 3

Scoots
03-04-2016, 02:13 PM
With 22 games to play the Warriors have a 25.5 game lead on the team they would face if the playoffs started today. It's possible the Warriors get 3 all-nba first team players ... including Klay.

tredigs
03-04-2016, 02:25 PM
With 22 games to play the Warriors have a 25.5 game lead on the team they would face if the playoffs started today. It's possible the Warriors get 3 all-nba first team players ... including Klay.

Klay All-NBA 1st Team Scoots? Zero chance at that happening, and zero chance it should. It's going to two point guards: Curry and Westbrook. CP3 has a shot at 1st. Dame would be ahead of Klay for sure. Lowry ahead of him for sure.

And for all his faults Harden is still definitely better than Klay. The guy is averaging 29/7/6.5. Klay is still just not consistent, and is not an All-NBA 1st Team level player. He's a very good role player/great shooter who will go off here and there. Butler is also better, but he was injured for too long this year.

YAALREADYKNO
03-04-2016, 02:55 PM
He's built more to be a 2nd option more than a 1st option but that's not a bad thing

Gander13SM
03-04-2016, 03:09 PM
You think? :laugh2: Klay is so top 3 SG in the league now it's not even funny with a chance to be the best at his position. I doubt you will struggle to named 3 SG that is better than Klay right now.

He can play in any system or no system unlike Barnes so please don't confuse the two okay :nod:

I'm a big fan of Klay. I only said top 10 to be conservative. Fact is as great as he might be he's playing at one of the most shallow positions in the league. There's only 4 guys at that position you could even consider as being elite.

4 years from now who knows what players will be in the league and if Klay was in a different system and we get another 4/5 elite SGs at that point there's no way of knowing if he would be top 5 or top 10.

CHANGO
03-04-2016, 04:04 PM
Are you guys reading the whole damn posts? Or just making up stuff?

Show me where I said Klay isn't a good player?
Show me where I said Klay isn't a top SG in the league?

I said he can't be a #1 option in any team and that's why he's not the best SG on the league. Because he doesn't have the skill set to do that. His dribbles aren't great, his passing skills aren't great and his shot creation is not the best. That's all, you can say he's on the W's and he doesn't need to do that, but when Curry isn't there and Dray is running the show that means something.

You guys are basically saying the same damn thing I'm proving with stats and observations, but the excuse you are giving is, "he doesn't need to do that" well, of course he doesn't, but he also can't or couldn't'.

Tell me you think he can be a great 1st option on a successful team and can carry a team.

I think Jimmy Butler can do that (was doing exactly that).

Scoots
03-04-2016, 05:48 PM
Klay All-NBA 1st Team Scoots? Zero chance at that happening, and zero chance it should. It's going to two point guards: Curry and Westbrook. CP3 has a shot at 1st. Dame would be ahead of Klay for sure. Lowry ahead of him for sure.

And for all his faults Harden is still definitely better than Klay. The guy is averaging 29/7/6.5. Klay is still just not consistent, and is not an All-NBA 1st Team level player. He's a very good role player/great shooter who will go off here and there. Butler is also better, but he was injured for too long this year.

The all-nba thing didn't come from me ... I think they talked about it on the Starters or somewhere like that. I didn't say it was likely ... but it's not impossible. If OKC keeps hemorrhaging wins up in the 4th with Westy shooting 30%. If the Clippers choke away home court.

Right now Butler and Harden are on the outside looking in on the 1st team based on their teams records so voters looking to vote for a PG/SG combo may well choose Klay.

I DOUBT IT ... but it IS possible :)

Scoots
03-04-2016, 05:59 PM

I said he can't be a #1 option in any team and that's why he's not the best SG on the league. Because he doesn't have the skill set to do that. His dribbles aren't great, his passing skills aren't great and his shot creation is not the best. That's all, you can say he's on the W's and he doesn't need to do that, but when Curry isn't there and Dray is running the show that means something.

You guys are basically saying the same damn thing I'm proving with stats and observations, but the excuse you are giving is, "he doesn't need to do that" well, of course he doesn't, but he also can't or couldn't'.

Tell me you think he can be a great 1st option on a successful team and can carry a team.

So in your mind there can never be 2 players on the same team at the top of their positions in the league? They can't both be #1 options, so they can't both be tops at their position right? Pippen wasn't the #1 option when he was playing with Jordan so he wasn't the best SF. That's not uncommon thinking ... I just think it's wrong.

Can a defensive specialist ever be the best at their position? Like if Rudy Gobert allowed 0 points in the post all year but scored 3 points a game then he couldn't be the best at his position because he's not a #1 option?

This is coming out more argumentative than I intended, but the idea that only #1 options can be the best on a team is odd to me.

COOLbeans
03-04-2016, 06:19 PM
You said Barnes is better than Klay which is an insult as Barnes will NEVER be an all star as long as he is a Warriors as the 4th best player on the team :nod:

I agree. He won't be as good if he remains on the Warriors as presently constructed. But Barnes definintely has star quality and could be better than Thompson in another system

Kush McDaniels
03-04-2016, 06:21 PM

Reggie Miller?

mngopher35
03-04-2016, 06:23 PM
I agree with most of what I have seen from tredigs and Chango here.

If Thompson were elite defensively or had better offensive efficiency than Harden/Butler I could see an argument for him being up there despite his role but neither of those are true. He has an easier role playing off curry/green since he doesn't have to create and doesn't take the most defensive pressure/focus yet still can't match their efficiency as #1 options. His volume is clearly less than Hardens as well while defensively Butler is also clearly better. He is worse across the board looking at advanced stats as well. Really the main thing he has going for him is being on a superior team which imo is a horrible method for ranking individuals so I don't see much of an argument.

I'd say he is the 3rd best SG in the league and maybe a top 20 player or so overall...

ewing
03-04-2016, 06:28 PM
Reggie Miller?

you cant have Reggie Miller, Ray Allen, Peja, Dale Ellis, Chris Mullen, Rip Hamilton, or alex english be your #1 scorer and be successful in the NBA don't you get it?

tredigs
03-04-2016, 06:30 PM
The all-nba thing didn't come from me ... I think they talked about it on the Starters or somewhere like that. I didn't say it was likely ... but it's not impossible. If OKC keeps hemorrhaging wins up in the 4th with Westy shooting 30%. If the Clippers choke away home court.

Right now Butler and Harden are on the outside looking in on the 1st team based on their teams records so voters looking to vote for a PG/SG combo may well choose Klay.

I DOUBT IT ... but it IS possible :)

Yeah it is I guess, but he would have to go ape-**** over the last month for that to happen. Klay's awesome in the role we have him (and he'd be an awesome addition to any team), but he truly does not deserve consideration. 3rd Team again? Yeah, I could see an argument for that. But consider this, Klay ranks outside the top 30 in RPM (and I am only including 30+ MPG players), BPM, VORP and even PER. When combined, that is telling a very clear message that we're not dealing with an All-NBA caliber player this season. All-NBA 1st Team? In no ****ing world would he deserve that (they're so popular + good that he may in fact get votes from those who do not know what they are talking about, and those votes would be majorly unwarranted).

CHANGO
03-04-2016, 06:36 PM
So in your mind there can never be 2 players on the same team at the top of their positions in the league? They can't both be #1 options, so they can't both be tops at their position right? Pippen wasn't the #1 option when he was playing with Jordan so he wasn't the best SF. That's not uncommon thinking ... I just think it's wrong.

Can a defensive specialist ever be the best at their position? Like if Rudy Gobert allowed 0 points in the post all year but scored 3 points a game then he couldn't be the best at his position because he's not a #1 option?

This is coming out more argumentative than I intended, but the idea that only #1 options can be the best on a team is odd to me.

No, you are inferring that.

Klay can't be a #1 option because he doesn't have the skill set to do so, you can watch his dribbling skills and you should agree that he doesn't have the best dribbles, same with passing. Pippen is not a great comparison for Klay.

Can a defensive specialist be the best at his position? Highly unlikely, that scenario is out of reality and obviously in all of the positions there are couple of guys who are great two way players, so even when a player is a defensive machine he would be a liability on offense.

Klay isn't the best SG because there is other SG who is doing better than him (Butler IMO) and in some other people eyes even Harden is doing better (I don't agree).

Lot of people including me would argue that in the early years of the Big Three in Miami, Lebron and Wade were the best on their positions, even when Wade wasn't the 1st option on the HEAT. But he had and have the skill set to create shots for himself and others.

CHANGO
03-04-2016, 06:40 PM
Reggie Miller?

That's a closer comparison you gotta have a very special team to have a player like that being the leader on a successful team.

eDush
03-04-2016, 06:49 PM

I wonder if that was the reason why Ainge tried to fleeced him from the Bulls with draft picks and Lee or was that also a smoke screen to try to get Love :laugh2:

This is where you chime in Scoots :nod:

tredigs
03-04-2016, 07:12 PM
I think Klay has the skill to be what Reggie was, but not the mentality. I really think Klay is perfectly suited as an elite-shooting #2 who gives you +defense. He is in his home, and we love him here.

CHANGO
03-04-2016, 07:17 PM
I think Klay has the skill to be what Reggie was, but not the mentality. I really think Klay is perfectly suited as an elite-shooting #2 who gives you +defense. He is in his home, and we love him here.

I don't think there's a better scenario for him, same for Dray, they are just on a perfect team/system. IMO the only guys not named Stephen Curry that would be better on another team are Barnes and Iggy.

blahblahyoutoo
03-04-2016, 07:33 PM
Yeah it is I guess, but he would have to go ape-**** over the last month for that to happen. Klay's awesome in the role we have him (and he'd be an awesome addition to any team), but he truly does not deserve consideration. 3rd Team again? Yeah, I could see an argument for that. But consider this, Klay ranks outside the top 30 in RPM (and I am only including 30+ MPG players), BPM, VORP and even PER. When combined, that is telling a very clear message that we're not dealing with an All-NBA caliber player this season. All-NBA 1st Team? In no ****ing world would he deserve that (they're so popular + good that he may in fact get votes from those who do not know what they are talking about, and those votes would be majorly unwarranted).

level headed, honest GSW fan :clap:

Scoots
03-04-2016, 07:38 PM
level headed, honest GSW fan :clap:

There's more than one :)

I never said Klay was the best SG in the NBA ... but I can argue the possibility :)

Personally I think it's Butler, Klay, Harden, then a step down to the next group.

SG is SO weak right now.

Scoots
03-04-2016, 07:43 PM
Lot of people including me would argue that in the early years of the Big Three in Miami, Lebron and Wade were the best on their positions, even when Wade wasn't the 1st option on the HEAT. But he had and have the skill set to create shots for himself and others.

This is the meat of the matter ... I don't think every great player has to be able to create. Karl Malone was to many the best PF in the NBA for years but he would never have been as good without Stockton to feed him.

CHANGO
03-04-2016, 08:03 PM
This is the meat of the matter ... I don't think every great player has to be able to create. Karl Malone was to many the best PF in the NBA for years but he would never have been as good without Stockton to feed him.

Yeah but big man is a different scenario, saying "X big man can't create for others so he isn't a legit 1st option" is a travesty, because they aren't supposed to do that, they create for others in an indirect way in which Klay obviously on the W's and other team would do that too (spacing).

But I can't recall a pg, sg or sf who was a 1st option and wasn't able to create for others or himself. Reggie is the closest I think.

Scoots
03-04-2016, 08:49 PM
Yeah but big man is a different scenario, saying "X big man can't create for others so he isn't a legit 1st option" is a travesty, because they aren't supposed to do that, they create for others in an indirect way in which Klay obviously on the W's and other team would do that too (spacing).

But I can't recall a pg, sg or sf who was a 1st option and wasn't able to create for others or himself. Reggie is the closest I think.
I was just using your parameters.

So Draymond Green doesn't get credit for leading the Warriors in assists because he's a power forward and he's not supposed to do that. But the fact that he has the ball means Klay doesn't have the ball to get those assists.

I don't know what Klay can do as the #1 option since he's never been it ... I don't know how you can know.

CHANGO
03-04-2016, 09:21 PM
I was just using your parameters.

So Draymond Green doesn't get credit for leading the Warriors in assists because he's a power forward and he's not supposed to do that. But the fact that he has the ball means Klay doesn't have the ball to get those assists.

I don't know what Klay can do as the #1 option since he's never been it ... I don't know how you can know.

LMAO, you like to add words on other people texts. Great work bud...

Klay doesn't have to be the first option on the W's for me to see his skills.

Scoots
03-04-2016, 09:34 PM
LMAO, you like to add words on other people texts. Great work bud...

Klay doesn't have to be the first option on the W's for me to see his skills.

LOL. Okay, that was fun.

Klay has never had to be a first option so he hasn't used or refined those skills, doesn't mean he can't do it.

Have a great weekend and go Heat!

CHANGO
03-04-2016, 10:14 PM
LOL. Okay, that was fun.

Klay has never had to be a first option so he hasn't used or refined those skills, doesn't mean he can't do it.

Have a great weekend and go Heat!

That's all I've been saying. Right now he doesn't have those skills so we can't sit here and say he would be great if he work on them.

Let's go HEAT!

Scoots
03-05-2016, 01:07 AM
That's all I've been saying. Right now he doesn't have those skills so we can't sit here and say he would be great if he work on them.

Let's go HEAT!

I'm saying he has those skills but you don't see them most of the time because most of the time that's not his job.

Big win for the Heat ... beating a team trying to lose :)

I wish the Warriors got to play teams like that ... oh wait, we get the Lakers next!

Kush McDaniels
03-05-2016, 01:04 PM
you cant have Reggie Miller, Ray Allen, Peja, Dale Ellis, Chris Mullen, Rip Hamilton, or alex english be your #1 scorer and be successful in the NBA don't you get it?

lol I get it. Lets create threads about those guys barely being allstars because they can't be #1 options in the NBA...

Kush McDaniels
03-05-2016, 01:13 PM
The whole "player X isn't a #1 option guy" talk is stupid. Most of the time, being a #1 option is more of an opportunity thing/how your team/system is constructed thing. Using the "#1 option" argument to evaluate a player is just silly. Klay is a damn good player that does well on his current team, and would surely benefit from having greater usage if he were on a team that wasn't quite as stacked. I'm not arguing he's better than Harden, Butler, Derozan, Wade, etc but to say he's "barely an allstar" bc he isn't a "#1 option"... how many of the other SG's in the league could play their "#1 option" game beside Curry as well as Klay does without hurting the team (the best team in the league btw)? I'm not even a Warriors fan, but I'm not silly enough to disparage Klay's game bc he's not a "#1 option". He's a great talent.

eDush
03-05-2016, 06:47 PM

So hes not better than Harden. Klay is better than the Beard when it comes to winning as a team!!! :clap:

ewing
03-05-2016, 07:29 PM
i think Harden is the best SG in the league. I would rank Butler b/c i think he is the best defender and most versatile defender 2nd but really think its a toss up after Harden.

eDush
03-05-2016, 07:40 PM
i think Harden is the best SG in the league. I would rank Butler b/c i think he is the best defender and most versatile defender 2nd but really think its a toss up after Harden.

I know you won't believe me but I said Klay will accomplish 3 things - make all star, get max contract offer and be the best SG in the league about 2 years before anyone of those things happened. Now he is arguably the best if not the best 3 SG in the league now. I know things before they happened :nod: