PDA

View Full Version : LaMarcus Aldridge disliked Portland lifestyle, attention Damian Lillard received

spreadeagle
11-12-2015, 07:44 PM
In April, Ramona Shelburne reported LaMarcus Aldridge was more likely to leave the Trail Blazers than most people realized.

Blazers fans met the report with skepticism and resentment. Two words particularly irked them: “It’s Portland.” They dismissed the Los Angeles-based Shelburne as big-city biased, unable to understand the beauty of Portland like Aldridge did.

Except Aldridge, as we all know, left the Trail Blazers for the Spurs.

And its seems Portland’s environment factored, as did Trail Blazers star Damian Lillard.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:

Privately, Aldridge never made much of a secret about his dislike for the lifestyle and climate of Portland and the Pacific Northwest. As an organization, the Blazers could do nothing about it.

Aldridge loathed driving around Portland and seeing those Lillard billboards that adidas had mounted for him – even when the Blazers made Aldridge the centerpiece of every franchise marketing investment.

Throughout the final, formal meeting in late June, it became clear that Aldridge hadn’t let completely let go of years-old issues with the way he believed ex-Blazers Brandon Roy and Greg Oden had overshadowed him in his early years. This was part of Aldridge’s personality that everyone surrounding him understood – that the teams recruiting him had researched and debated internally on how to navigate in the recruiting process.

Leaving that meeting in Dallas in late June, perhaps little was more telling than the fact Aldridge never raised one particular name: Damian Lillard. Ultimately, this was the enigma of LaMarcus Aldridge. He wanted talent around him, but never too much that it might lessen his own marquee. Pleasing Aldridge was never easy, and nobody knew that better than the Portland Trail Blazers http://nba.nbcsports.com/2015/11/12/report-lamarcus-aldridge-disliked-portland-lifestyle-attention-damian-lillard-received/

KnicksorBust
11-12-2015, 08:26 PM
null

He wanted talent but not enough to overshadow him.. interesting that he would end up on SAS.

Raidaz4Life
11-12-2015, 08:33 PM
He wanted talent but not enough to overshadow him.. interesting that he would end up on SAS.

I thought that as well

Arch Stanton
11-12-2015, 08:37 PM
I've only flown through Portland but I've heard great things about this city. The title of this article is misleading, unless I missed something, I don't see any complaints about Portland the city, just that he was jealous of Lillard.

spreadeagle
11-12-2015, 08:43 PM
I've only flown through Portland but I've heard great things about this city. The title of this article is misleading, unless I missed something, I don't see any complaints about Portland the city, just that he was jealous of Lillard.

Privately, Aldridge never made much of a secret about his dislike for the lifestyle and climate of Portland and the Pacific Northwest.

Arch Stanton
11-12-2015, 08:49 PM
Privately, Aldridge never made much of a secret about his dislike for the lifestyle and climate of Portland and the Pacific Northwest.

I think the Pacific NW has some of the greatest places to live, but I'm not LaMarcus so...

spreadeagle
11-12-2015, 08:52 PM
I think the Pacific NW has some of the greatest places to live, but I'm not LaMarcus so...

always thought it looked like a cool city too, but hes a Texan, prob not his style

Saddletramp
11-12-2015, 09:00 PM
One of the reasons I heard he didn't want to come to Houston was because he'd be in Harden's shadow.

Arch Stanton
11-12-2015, 09:00 PM
always thought it looked like a cool city too, but hes a Texan, prob not his style

Honestly, I think it's probably overstated. I think he probably liked Portland, but preferred a bigger market. And with how he was never treated as the number 1 guy until later on that it only made him dissatisfied about the situation. I remember LMA early on and he was nowhere the player he is today so I don't blame the Blazers organization for not making him or prioritizing him as one of the guys.

basketballkitty
11-12-2015, 10:02 PM
Portland is not as great a city as you guys think. It is rather dirty and more Gangsta then you may imagine. Oregon has some great areas...but Portland is not one of them. Now Vancouver, and even Seattle....now those are nice and scenic cities.

ryder78c
11-12-2015, 10:24 PM
Portland is not as great a city as you guys think. It is rather dirty and more Gangsta then you may imagine. Oregon has some great areas...but Portland is not one of them. Now Vancouver, and even Seattle....now those are nice and scenic cities.

Seattle-Tacoma is dirty theres killings here all the time way more then portland i was raised in portland & vancouver, seattle isnt a anything special i prefer portland over Seattle.

valade16
11-12-2015, 10:52 PM

Seattle-Tacoma is dirty theres killings here all the time way more then portland i was raised in portland & vancouver, seattle isnt a anything special i prefer portland over Seattle.

As someone born and raised in Portland but having lived in Seattle for a number of years I agree with basketballkitty in that there are more bad neighborhoods then there used to be. SE Portland is now referred to as "South Easy Por-Sleazy".

That being said I like Portland over Seattle. Seattle is really tedious because of how bad traffic has gotten and there are some pretty bad areas there too (and all along the I5 corridor down to Olympia).

That being said, I've also lived in Texas and currently live in North Carolina and the Pacific Northwest is WAY better than everywhere else I've lived.

flea
11-12-2015, 11:05 PM
I like Portland but it's basically the whitest place I've ever been. If you aren't a hipster you're not on your stomping grounds. Don't blame the dude for wanting to be back in Texas, and I don't believe his jealously or w/e they're selling.

flea
11-12-2015, 11:12 PM
Super surprising you're a pacific northwesterner valade. ;)

0nekhmer
11-13-2015, 05:04 AM
Aldridge is just a terrible businessman. You can have all of the talent in the world but if you aren't marketing yourself, you'll pretty much be stuck in the shadows.

More-Than-Most
11-13-2015, 06:19 AM
so he was jealous of Lilly but then choose the spurs? The spurs where he will never be number 1? Think about this... He choose a team that has Timmy/Manu/parker and even if they retire next year there is still Kwai and a guy name pop... I cant buy this article because of this logic.

Why not just choose the lakers? Everyone knew this was Kobe last year... Go to one of the biggest names in all of sports and deal with that for a year and then the world is yours as long as you bring your A game... LA in LA= Top 5 name in the league because of the lakers and that market.

LegendX
11-13-2015, 08:21 AM
Oh boo ****ing hoo.

slashsnake
11-13-2015, 09:24 AM
so he was jealous of Lilly but then choose the spurs? The spurs where he will never be number 1? Think about this... He choose a team that has Timmy/Manu/parker and even if they retire next year there is still Kwai and a guy name pop... I cant buy this article because of this logic.

Why not just choose the lakers? Everyone knew this was Kobe last year... Go to one of the biggest names in all of sports and deal with that for a year and then the world is yours as long as you bring your A game... LA in LA= Top 5 name in the league because of the lakers and that market.

Which is why that article sounds like it is really overstating his reason for leaving, looking to get clicks and views with a headline rather than offer any real subsance.

It goes into his FA meetings with the Blazers like this is from the mouth of someone there. I don't see Aldridge saying he was upset at another star being on the team. So we are talking about a spurned team giving reasons why their star player left. Hmmm, "our stars are too big, and he can't handle it" sounds a lot better than "he wanted to win there and knew we were on our way down".

ewing
11-13-2015, 09:37 AM
Honestly, I think it's probably overstated. I think he probably liked Portland, but preferred a bigger market. And with how he was never treated as the number 1 guy until later on that it only made him dissatisfied about the situation. I remember LMA early on and he was nowhere the player he is today so I don't blame the Blazers organization for not making him or prioritizing him as one of the guys.

LMA came on pretty quick as a scorer. I remember thinking of him offensively the same way I thought of Channing frye and he proved me wrong pretty quickly

kdspurman
11-13-2015, 10:02 AM
Aldridge is just a terrible businessman. You can have all of the talent in the world but if you aren't marketing yourself, you'll pretty much be stuck in the shadows.

Tim Duncan never really marketed himself.

valade16
11-13-2015, 11:20 AM
I like Portland but it's basically the whitest place I've ever been. If you aren't a hipster you're not on your stomping grounds. Don't blame the dude for wanting to be back in Texas, and I don't believe his jealously or w/e they're selling.

Statistically, it is THE whitest major metro area in the US. And yes, Hipsters are a full on epidemic in Portland.

For what it's worth, as a city, San Antonio was one of the funnest places I've been (along with Austin).

I might be the weirdest person, but I loved both the Liberal bastion that is Portland and the conservative haven that is Texas (Austin excluded as they aren't very conservative).

Scoots
11-13-2015, 12:56 PM
SAS "stars" are fading stars, and Kawhi is perfectly happy NOT being the face of the franchise so LMA can be happy there. The bigger concern is how he's going to adapt to Pop's offense and team plan.

colinskik
11-13-2015, 01:35 PM

Timmy / Manu / Parker don't have many years left, and Manu / Parker are already losing their star status, if they haven't already.

Kawhi will be the team's star player going forward, but he's the quietest, most modest star you're going to find in the NBA. LMA can easily be a bigger marketing presence than him.

And c'mon, a coach is never going to outstar a player ... even Pop.

kdspurman
11-13-2015, 01:54 PM
SAS "stars" are fading stars, and Kawhi is perfectly happy NOT being the face of the franchise so LMA can be happy there. The bigger concern is how he's going to adapt to Pop's offense and team plan.

He's adapting pretty well thus far, being a little too passive for Pop's liking, but it's a matter of getting comfortable enough to be more aggressive with the ball. Pop is trying to have the team adjust to his game too, so it's a 2 way street. He's been very good defensively which has been a pleasant surprise.

Re: Kawhi, he wants to be the face of the franchise and wants to be great. Where he is happy is that he doesn't like interviewing and is a pretty private person, much like LMA. Some guys don't love the limelight, but want to be great. Duncan for example, the face of the franchise, but a guy who was nothing like other stars and really kept to himself. So the 2 aren't necessarily tied together

Scoots
11-13-2015, 02:32 PM
He's adapting pretty well thus far, being a little too passive for Pop's liking, but it's a matter of getting comfortable enough to be more aggressive with the ball. Pop is trying to have the team adjust to his game too, so it's a 2 way street. He's been very good defensively which has been a pleasant surprise.

Re: Kawhi, he wants to be the face of the franchise and wants to be great. Where he is happy is that he doesn't like interviewing and is a pretty private person, much like LMA. Some guys don't love the limelight, but want to be great. Duncan for example, the face of the franchise, but a guy who was nothing like other stars and really kept to himself. So the 2 aren't necessarily tied together

LMA is doing pretty good, but he's clearly not comfortable yet.

Kawhi can't be the face of the franchise and be as shy as he seems to be.

kdspurman
11-13-2015, 03:21 PM
LMA is doing pretty good, but he's clearly not comfortable yet.

Kawhi can't be the face of the franchise and be as shy as he seems to be.

Yea, I didn't disagree I know he's not comfortable yet. It'll be a process.

And yes, Kawhi can be. He is quiet on the court, he's not doing all the extra stuff some guys do, beating their chest, screaming, dancing, etc... But that has nothing to do with being the face of the franchise. He gives interviews after practices, pre game, post game, half time etc... but he doesn't give anything extra or go out of his way to gain attention. He does the Spurs HEB commercials (where you see him in a different way) but that's pretty much it. Again, see Tim Duncan. You don't have to be the most outgoing person to be the face of the franchise.

Heck, even LMA is pretty much to himself for the most part

0nekhmer
11-13-2015, 04:13 PM
Tim Duncan never really marketed himself.
Exactly. That's why he's constantly underrated. People don't even consider him an allstar anymore.

kdspurman
11-13-2015, 05:20 PM
Exactly. That's why he's constantly underrated. People don't even consider him an allstar anymore.

Eh, I mean the guy is a top 5-7 player of all time. Under-appreciated is probably a better word. He certainly wasn't winning any popularity contests, but as a basketball player, i think most know how great he is/was.

kobe4thewinbang
11-16-2015, 01:44 AM
Makes sense. He's a better player than Lillard and in the old days would've been on the billboards instead. Also, seems he wanted to leave the B-Roy/Oden what-if stigma and maybe just be on a better team with more talent. Plus, home state and all. Nobody on the Spurs is treated like a star, not their style, so he shouldn't feel animosity, and he probably respects Duncan because how can you not?!