PDA

View Full Version : Players back in the day used to punish 6 packs regularly?

sheesh
11-10-2015, 01:22 PM
That seems crazy, but I've heard and read that a lot of the stars of the past would pound beers after the like nothing. Barkley was a notorious boozer. Shane Battier used to booze. Allen Iverson used to booze a lot and was drunk during his practice rant. Larry Bird couldn't put the booze down.

Jordan's bulls were said to have punished a 6 pack after every game. And the thing is it was accepted because they said they had to replenish fluids after the game. Jordan was said to have sucked down champagne like a baby sucking on a bottle.

Artest used to drink during halftime.

I can't believe stuff like this was happening back in the day. Casual drinking seems extinct now in NBA and pro sports in general. Can you imagine the hell players would catch for this now with twitter, sportscenter, that ******* skip bayless?

IndyRealist
11-10-2015, 02:19 PM
Athletes are machines now. They also used to eat fried food, burgers, etc before games. Now nutritionists plan the meals.

Having said that, if you don't think there are flasks and "water bottles" in the locker room, you're crazy.

2-ONE-5
11-10-2015, 02:40 PM
since when was AI drunk during his practice rant?

anyway back in the day just about every athlete was like that. However, no, i dont believe there are flasks or hidden booze in the locker rooms today.

Hawkeye15
11-10-2015, 02:50 PM
read about Wade Boggs

Scoots
11-10-2015, 02:51 PM
Just heard Tim Hardaway Sr on the radio talking about breaking into the post game "special beverages" after being thrown out of a game in Miami, and getting suspended for the next game for his antics and watching that game from a "friendly establishment". They drank a lot and regularly.

This is going to show my age but ... the worst I've seen though as far as bad prep habits was Hall of Fame NFL defensive end Fred Dean who never lifted weights once in his career, drank regularly and smoked DURING practice and once was told to stop smoking on the sideline of a game. Even more proof of the game changing ... Fred Dean was a defensive end and weighted 230 lbs.

sheesh
11-10-2015, 02:56 PM
read about Wade Boggs

I know about his beer incident. But in basketball you have to run and jump the whole game.

Its shocking in today's context that players would booze up like that.

sheesh
11-10-2015, 02:57 PM

anyway back in the day just about every athlete was like that. However, no, i dont believe there are flasks or hidden booze in the locker rooms today.

AI was drunk during his practice rant. 76ers insiders noticed him slurring his words and glazed over eyes.

McAllen Tx
11-10-2015, 03:06 PM
Anyone remember Broadway Joe drunk (as an analyst not player) on the sideline trying to get his D wet with that sideline reporter as she was reporting? That was some funny shyte.

2-ONE-5
11-10-2015, 03:12 PM
AI was drunk during his practice rant. 76ers insiders noticed him slurring his words and glazed over eyes.

yea, thats not true and many came out instantly refuting it.

IBleedPurple
11-10-2015, 03:13 PM
Anyone remember Broadway Joe drunk (as an analyst not player) on the sideline trying to get his D wet with that sideline reporter as she was reporting? That was some funny shyte.Suzy Kolber, I laugh everytime I think of it. Golden.

sheesh
11-10-2015, 03:15 PM
yea, thats not true and many came out instantly refuting it.

I'm not buying it. I've seen drunk men. That was a drunk man that day.

McAllen Tx
11-10-2015, 03:17 PM
Didnt AI kick his wife out the house butt *** naked?

sheesh
11-10-2015, 03:22 PM
I don't think it's coincidence that AI antics and drinking were getting overexposed. Right around like 2002 or 2003 cable talk shows and pointless BS was born. And it only got worse and worse.

Can you imagine if he had his practice rant in 2015!!!!!!!

If it happened in 1995 nobody would give a crap. You would read about it in the paper and maybe see it in the news and then nobody would care after the next couple games.

Gibby23
11-10-2015, 03:26 PM
Im pretty sure they still drink after games. Steve Nash said a year or 2 ago after a game that he was about to go in the locker room and have a Coors light. Not a big deal. They don't drink before the game, at least most of them.. lol

2-ONE-5
11-10-2015, 03:56 PM

you clearly dont know the story of that day then. Unfortunate for you.

Corey
11-10-2015, 04:51 PM

Iverson came out and said that his best friend was killed prior to the press conference.

2-ONE-5
11-10-2015, 04:52 PM
but over a decade later some random media members said he was drunk so it has to be true.

Scoots
11-10-2015, 04:52 PM
you clearly dont know the story of that day then. Unfortunate for you.

My guess is that the number of people who know the whole true story about that day is probably 5 ... and I'm not one of the 5 ... and you probably aren't either :)

Chronz
11-10-2015, 04:53 PM
Back in the day teams used to have a designated beer gopher

IBleedPurple
11-10-2015, 04:54 PM
Im pretty sure they still drink after games. Steve Nash said a year or 2 ago after a game that he was about to go in the locker room and have a Coors light. Not a big deal. They don't drink before the game, at least most of them.. lolA 6 pack was likely a common lunch or dinner for Rodman, he said he played better after drinking the night before or on gameday. But alcohol is readily available in the locker room...if a guy is having a rough night, wouldn't surprise me one bit if they drank at halftime. Like you said though, not most of them.

sixers247
11-10-2015, 04:57 PM
but over a decade later some random media members said he was drunk so it has to be true.

He had been at the bar that day because his friend had just died. It is in his new book. So he probably was at least buzzed. You dont have to defend all sixers talk like someone is about to kill your first born.

Arch Stanton
11-10-2015, 05:01 PM
Dock Ellis dropped acid then threw a no-hitter.

Pierzynski4Prez
11-10-2015, 05:48 PM
Dock Ellis dropped acid then threw a no-hitter.

Think David Wells was drunk too he said during his perfect game.

2-ONE-5
11-10-2015, 05:49 PM
He had been at the bar that day because his friend had just died. It is in his new book. So he probably was at least buzzed. You dont have to defend all sixers talk like someone is about to kill your first born.

sir yes sir

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-10-2015, 06:18 PM
6 packs are child's play. I'd call a 6 pack or less teasers. They taste so good that you want more. I wouldn't bother drinking if I had no less then a 12 pack in the house. Milwaukee I use to have 30 packs delivered all the time.

R. Johnson#3
11-10-2015, 06:25 PM
Didn't Keon Clark drink a pint of gin at halftime every game?

Chronz
11-10-2015, 11:12 PM
6 packs are child's play. I'd call a 6 pack or less teasers. They taste so good that you want more. I wouldn't bother drinking if I had no less then a 12 pack in the house. Milwaukee I use to have 30 packs delivered all the time.
U sir, r an American hero

ewing
11-10-2015, 11:28 PM
That seems crazy, but I've heard and read that a lot of the stars of the past would pound beers after the like nothing. Barkley was a notorious boozer. Shane Battier used to booze. Allen Iverson used to booze a lot and was drunk during his practice rant. Larry Bird couldn't put the booze down.

Jordan's bulls were said to have punished a 6 pack after every game. And the thing is it was accepted because they said they had to replenish fluids after the game. Jordan was said to have sucked down champagne like a baby sucking on a bottle.

I can't believe stuff like this was happening back in the day. Casual drinking seems extinct now in NBA and pro sports in general. Can you imagine the hell players would catch for this now with twitter, sportscenter, that ******* skip bayless?

a six pack is nothing

IndyRealist
11-11-2015, 12:03 AM

450 players between 19 and 40, and you don't think a even a single one sneaks alcohol into the locker room....ok, man.

ewing
11-11-2015, 12:05 AM

if you are good enough you dont have to hide that ****

valade16
11-11-2015, 01:27 AM
A 6 pack was likely a common lunch or dinner for Rodman, he said he played better after drinking the night before or on gameday. But alcohol is readily available in the locker room...if a guy is having a rough night, wouldn't surprise me one bit if they drank at halftime. Like you said though, not most of them.

Steve Kerr said when Rodman was first signed to the Bulls Phil Jackson asked him to go with Rodman to Jersey because Rodman was going there to party and Jackson wanted him bonding with teammates lol.

McAllen Tx
11-11-2015, 02:50 AM
Suzy Kolber, I laugh everytime I think of it. Golden.

What about when Barkley literally threw a man out a bar window. LMFAO only Barkley would do some shyte like that.

2-ONE-5
11-11-2015, 10:33 AM
450 players between 19 and 40, and you don't think a even a single one sneaks alcohol into the locker room....ok, man.

to drink before or during a game? no i dont.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
11-11-2015, 11:42 AM

AI wasn't drunk during the "practice" speech. Don't spread rumors. The author who's rumor your spreading had nothing to do with the Sixers teams that Allen was a part of, the author had no credentials what so ever, and lied that AI was drunk to sell books.

superkegger
11-11-2015, 05:34 PM
AI wasn't drunk during the "practice" speech. Don't spread rumors. The author who's rumor your spreading had nothing to do with the Sixers teams that Allen was a part of, the author had no credentials what so ever, and lied that AI was drunk to sell books.

That's not what I heard. I heard he was drunk.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-13-2015, 10:45 AM
U sir, r an American hero

It was nice to have beer delivered. They charged only $3 for delivery. Was worth it if I was already drinking and was close to running out. Once January rolls around I haven't drank in 2 years. I kinda miss it though.