PDA

View Full Version : Drafter's remorse? Byron Scott/Kobe say Lakers 'a little wrong' about Porzingis

spreadeagle
11-08-2015, 10:18 PM
With his thunderous dunks and overall solid play, New York Knicks rookie Kristaps Porzingis is looking like a very promising player. Selected No. 4 overall in last June's draft, Porzingis was rumored to be picked as high as No. 2 by the Los Angeles Lakers, but they drafted D'Angelo Russell instead.

The Lakers were intrigued by Porzingis though, and after watching him play for the Knicks, head coach Byron Scott admits that they misjudged how long it would take the Latvian big man to develop.

From Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News:

“He really didn't show any fear. We just thought it would take him some time,” Lakers coach Byron Scott said of Porzingis. “Obviously we're a little wrong about that. He's playing pretty well right now.”

So what did the Lakers miss?

“The one thing we can't test is your heart. We can't test guys in what they have inside of them. Obviously this kid has a hunger to be really good,” Scott said. “The kid is going to be really special one day.

Kobe Bryant also weighed in with his opinion on Porzingis, giving praise to the kid.

“He looks pretty damn good,”

“He’s skillful, can do a lot of things and seems very competitive. He has a good competitive spirit about him.”

When word gets back to Porzingis that Bryant lay such praise on him, he will be beaming from ear to ear to hear that one of his favorite players growing up (revealed in a Twitter Q & A) appreciates his game.
http://dailyknicks.com/2015/11/08/kobe-bryant-praises-kristaps-porzingis-while-byron-scott-admits-being-wrong/
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25367063/drafters-remorse-byron-scott-says-lakers-a-little-wrong-about-porzingis

Bruno
11-08-2015, 10:20 PM
it's too early to call anything about the past draft a regret, but Porzingod looks awesome and not nearly as frail or not NBA ready as originally proposed. Phil must be thrilled. I love his skill set and I think he'll be extremely valuable in the new NBA. Knicks fans should celebrate, they finally got a piece of something good.

KnicksorBust
11-08-2015, 10:32 PM
it's too early to call anything about the past draft a regret, but Porzingod looks awesome and not nearly as frail or not NBA ready as originally proposed. Phil must be thrilled. I love his skill set and I think he'll be extremely valuable in the new NBA. Knicks fans should celebrate, they finally got a piece of something good.

Appreciate the words. Hope "awesome" is underestimating him . :) Curious how you feel about Russell long term?

More-Than-Most
11-08-2015, 10:33 PM
I stated he would be perfect under Kobe... I have said all along that he is the only one from this draft or any draft in the past few years that had the kobe work ethic... Nobody in the history of this league works/worked as hard as Kobe and lives for the NBA like Kobe except this kid... He wants to be the best and prove the doubters wrong and in 3 years we will all be sad that we passed on this kid while the knicks are loving a 20/10 guy with insane leadership and defense.

I thought the knicks reached at the time they picked him and was scared Melo would rub off the wrong way on this kid... I was wrong... There are 2 guys that will out work everyone from this draft to prove they are the best and the Knicks and heat stole those guys

AllBall
11-08-2015, 11:01 PM
The Knicks should be crying for gifting the HEAT Justise Winslow, lol

I can't believe how NBA ready this kid is! Porzingis would have been there in the second round, he's a solid player but not #4 worthy

Hawkeye15
11-08-2015, 11:17 PM
imo Lakers picked a bust. Time will tell

spreadeagle
11-08-2015, 11:18 PM

I can't believe how NBA ready this kid is! Porzingis would have been there in the second round, he's a solid player but not #4 worthy

uhhhh what? lol

hotdalton18
11-08-2015, 11:21 PM

Porz has been awesome dude....Winslow was a steal but the Knicks picked the right guy

GiantsSwaGG
11-09-2015, 12:06 AM

:facepalm:

IBleedPurple
11-09-2015, 02:27 AM

I can't believe how NBA ready this kid is! Porzingis would have been there in the second round, he's a solid player but not #4 worthyWe are talking about the NBA, right? This is worthy of an asylum.

lamzoka
11-09-2015, 02:32 AM

This have to be the dumbest shĚt i ever read on PSD.

basch152
11-09-2015, 02:45 AM
Not sure if troll or just stupid.

HandsOnTheWheel
11-09-2015, 03:02 AM
Amazing how the tune changes about a player over such a short amount of time.

KingstonHawke
11-09-2015, 03:30 AM
I said prior to the draft, and I'll keep saying. The Lakers should've drafted Okafor, and then traded him, Clarkson, and Randle to the Kings for Cousins. That would've made room for Kevin Love. Kobe, Kevin, and Boogie could be a 4 seed by themselves. And then next year Kobe's salary comes off and could end up being two quality players.

The Kings might've been hesitant, but no way they don't take the deal. Cousins is great, but he's a liability. I wouldn't hesitate to replace him with the combo of Okafor and Randle. That's 30 points and 15 rebounds from the gate. Not to mention Clarkson is a steal. You put Mudiay and B Mac at the 1 and 2, and let Clarkson come off the bench scoring. That's a very nice little rotation.

basch152
11-09-2015, 04:29 AM
That would literally be a ******** deal for the lakers.

Lets trade away our young future stars for some players that will make us a playoff contender now but definitely not a championship contender.

Trading away your futute to be above average now is just the dumbest thing I've heard.

omdigga
11-09-2015, 10:52 AM
Nice to hear that from Kobe.. KP has been doing his thing on the court.. but what makes me love the guy is how he conducts himself off the court.. His interviews are awesome.. you can tell he's a humble dude who's working hard to get better.. makes you like him that much more.

xbrackattackx
11-09-2015, 11:11 AM
I was on the Zinger train for the start. I kept hearing about how hard he works and stays in the gym longer then anyone. And I was like damn, you can't teach that. I also think Dlo is gonna take longer to develop then Towns,Oka,Winslow,Mudaiy/Mario,Zinger,Winslow and Grant.

yungincome
11-09-2015, 11:24 AM

I hope this guy is trolling

DarkKnight
11-09-2015, 12:26 PM

Maybe he's confused, lost ?

KnicksorBust
11-09-2015, 12:31 PM
D'lo can shoot the lights out and has phenomenal court vision. He's an all-star.

2-ONE-5
11-09-2015, 12:33 PM
I stated he would be perfect under Kobe... I have said all along that he is the only one from this draft or any draft in the past few years that had the kobe work ethic... Nobody in the history of this league works/worked as hard as Kobe and lives for the NBA like Kobe except this kid... He wants to be the best and prove the doubters wrong and in 3 years we will all be sad that we passed on this kid while the knicks are loving a 20/10 guy with insane leadership and defense.

I thought the knicks reached at the time they picked him and was scared Melo would rub off the wrong way on this kid... I was wrong... There are 2 guys that will out work everyone from this draft to prove they are the best and the Knicks and heat stole those guys

thats a reach, a big reach. you dont really believe that nor do you have any way of knowing that after 5 games.

Burkey3472
11-09-2015, 01:14 PM
How about we see how D'lo turns out before declaring this draft pick a mistake or regarding not taking a player. Also, was there any chance they were going to take Porzingis? I thought it was just between Okafor and Russell.

Scoots
11-09-2015, 01:17 PM
I've got to believe if Russel was tearing it up this story never happens.

AllBall
11-09-2015, 03:03 PM

Fact, you go to LA or NY and everything is magnified and overhyped by 10000.

Guy does decent = GOAT
Guy makes some mistakes = Worst draft bust of all time

Pls go, calm down with your NY extremism. The guy is decent, but he went higher than he needed to.

2-ONE-5
11-09-2015, 03:22 PM

Guy does decent = GOAT

Pls go, calm down with your NY extremism. The guy is decent, but he went higher than he needed to.

what makes you think he went earlier then he needed to? He was projected to go anywhere from 4-7 most of the draft process. Even if you think he was overdrafted at the tiime (fair argument) he certainly wasnt going to fall outside of the top 10

ewing
11-09-2015, 03:24 PM
I've got to believe if Russel was tearing it up this story never happens.

or if Zinger sucked but one has played poorly and the other is better then expected.

GiantsSwaGG
11-09-2015, 03:41 PM

Guy does decent = GOAT

Friedtofuz 2.0?

phantasyyy
11-09-2015, 04:11 PM
I'm still mystified as to the reasoning of signing lou will for the lakers went apparently they were suppose to be developing their starting backcourt core in Clarkson/Russell.

As a #2 pick he should've been thrown into the fire right away, and had the minutes to develop his skills.. instead he is playing only 25m a game, getting benched in the 4th qtr.

Lou on the other hand has been amazing.. taking 27m a game away from their youth, shooting 33/17% on 11fga. Coupled in with Kobe also playing 29m shooting 32/20% on 16fga.

I mean I get the want to add veteran players to make the team competitive, but 1-5 with a bunch of guards chucking away isn't something I think most fans wanted to see.

Imo anyway, I thought Russell was primed for huge minutes with pretty much the future of the franchise on his, clarksons and randles shoulders.

Hawkeye15
11-09-2015, 04:21 PM
I'm still mystified as to the reasoning of signing lou will for the lakers went apparently they were suppose to be developing their starting backcourt core in Clarkson/Russell.

As a #2 pick he should've been thrown into the fire right away, and had the minutes to develop his skills.. instead he is playing only 25m a game, getting benched in the 4th qtr.

Lou on the other hand has been amazing.. taking 27m a game away from their youth, shooting 33/17% on 11fga. Coupled in with Kobe also playing 29m shooting 32/20% on 16fga.

I mean I get the want to add veteran players to make the team competitive, but 1-5 with a bunch of guards chucking away isn't something I think most fans wanted to see.

Imo anyway, I thought Russell was primed for huge minutes with pretty much the future of the franchise on his, clarksons and randles shoulders.

I don't get it either. This isn't the Lakers squad a rookie Kobe had to prove he deserved minutes on, this is clearly a rebuilding team that should throw in the towel this season to add another young piece...

Russell should be playing 34 mpg and being thrown to the wolves

AirPippen33
11-09-2015, 04:33 PM
The Lakers draft pick was maybe the worst I've ever seen right there with Beasley.

ewing
11-09-2015, 05:02 PM
I don't get it either. This isn't the Lakers squad a rookie Kobe had to prove he deserved minutes on, this is clearly a rebuilding team that should throw in the towel this season to add another young piece...

Russell should be playing 34 mpg and being thrown to the wolves

BS you can learn just as much in 25 as 35. Its not like he is riding the pine and the coach still has his besting teaching tool at his disposal- the bench

JEDean89
11-09-2015, 05:41 PM
This was as good a top of a draft class as we've seen since 03'. The top 4 picks all look great, and I think Russell has looked solid for a 19 year old guard, certainly as good as Harden when he was 1 week into the league. Exum, Russell, Mudiay, Peyton, Smart all struggled, and these are the best PG prospects in the last 2 drafts. I think all will be pretty damn good. Redrafted today though

KAT
Porzingis
Mudiay
Jahlil
Russell
Caulley Stein
Johnson
Winslow
Hezonja

Hawkeye15
11-09-2015, 05:41 PM
BS you can learn just as much in 25 as 35. Its not like he is riding the pine and the coach still has his besting teaching tool at his disposal- the bench

just like 7 minute abs

playing the last 4 minutes of a regular season game is different than the previous 44. Just my opinion...

jimm120
11-09-2015, 05:48 PM
This is from someone that went to the game last night. Sure seems like the wrong mindset for Russell

"Your resident NY Laker fan here. Got to go to the game (my 7th or 8th Laker-Knick game in the last decade). Russell was NOT happy about getting pulled for Lou with 2 minutes to go. Went to the end of the bench shoulders slumped and didn’t want to get up to join the huddle on the timeout. He looked solid on defense tonight. I also was furious thatByron didn’t pull Kobe in the last minute for his well deserved career NY Standing O. Terrible sense of history. The crowd wanted it."

ewing
11-09-2015, 05:49 PM
just like 7 minute abs

playing the last 4 minutes of a regular season game is different than the previous 44. Just my opinion...

Oh he'll get his chance down the stretch of games I just don't think we should have a problem with him not playing him down the stretch the first week of his career when he hasn't played well. your totally neutering the coach

ewing
11-09-2015, 05:51 PM
This is from someone that went to the game last night. Sure seems like the wrong mindset for Russell

"Your resident NY Laker fan here. Got to go to the game (my 7th or 8th Laker-Knick game in the last decade). Russell was NOT happy about getting pulled for Lou with 2 minutes to go. Went to the end of the bench shoulders slumped and didn’t want to get up to join the huddle on the timeout. He looked solid on defense tonight. I also was furious thatByron didn’t pull Kobe in the last minute for his well deserved career NY Standing O. Terrible sense of history. The crowd wanted it."

Sounds like this kids might have enablers like Hawkeye in his ear

Raidaz4Life
11-09-2015, 05:52 PM
Porzingis is absolutely awesome. I feel like within 3 years he will be my favorite player in the NBA

jimm120
11-09-2015, 05:58 PM
How about we see how D'lo turns out before declaring this draft pick a mistake or regarding not taking a player. Also, was there any chance they were going to take Porzingis? I thought it was just between Okafor and Russell.

no. There were reports that they were interested in Porzingis.

I remember because we (knicks fans) wanted Okafor to fall to us and knew that if LA picked Porzi, that Philly would take Russell...which meant we'd get Okafor.

Technically, the draft boards for the top 4 picks for each team was

LA:
Towns, Russell, Okafor, Porzingis, Mudiay

Philly:
Russell, Okafor, Porzingis, Mudiay

NY:
Okafor, Russell, Porzingis, Mudiay

They all had him around their 3rd guy. Philly wanted Russell. If they couldn't get russell, they really wanted Porzingis, but took Okafor as the safer pick.

jimm120
11-09-2015, 06:03 PM
I will say this, "the thread maker is making a negative SPIN on the story".

It is simply meant to be a fluff piece of them saying that the Knicks did a good job in the draft. Just like how Kobe gave props to Lin during Linsanity. It is NOT meant to be a "buyer's remorse" piece.

Give Russell time.

Hawkeye15
11-09-2015, 06:19 PM
Oh he'll get his chance down the stretch of games I just don't think we should have a problem with him not playing him down the stretch the first week of his career when he hasn't played well. your totally neutering the coach

I can buy that

Scoots
11-09-2015, 07:06 PM
I'm not sure Mudiay would make it all the way up to #2 in a re-draft yet.

JWorthy42
11-09-2015, 07:10 PM

Call a player a "bust" 8 games into the season. :clap:

Sactown
11-09-2015, 07:56 PM
Call a player a "bust" 8 games into the season. :clap:

He clearly wrote in my opinion... I'm guessing Hawkeye wasn't convinced of DLo before the season and is just making a prediction .. he did say time will tell... Calm down

DarkKnight
11-09-2015, 08:20 PM
Friedtofuz 2.0?

Ha ha yup

Lakers + Giants
11-09-2015, 11:51 PM

Sadly,I agree. I still really hope I'm wrong, I just haven't even seen a glimpse of anything.

Its still way too early too tell, and we wont know til at least a couple years. I was saying it on draft day tho, we really ****ed up not taking okafor imo. Please prove me wrong Dlo....

FriedTofuz
11-10-2015, 02:14 AM
I dont think Russell is a bust yet. No way. Give him time, People have extremely high expectations and are expecting him to put up 20 ppg? Id like to see more Dimes from Russel and a bit more ppg as the season goes a long. It's going to be hard for him to get his shots when he has kobe, swaggy p and lou will going Iso ball and playing 1v 5 with the other team

2-ONE-5
11-10-2015, 09:59 AM
Russ will be good but its going to take some time. Any rookie guard playing in spot would be struggling too.

nycericanguy
11-10-2015, 10:04 AM
no. There were reports that they were interested in Porzingis.

I remember because we (knicks fans) wanted Okafor to fall to us and knew that if LA picked Porzi, that Philly would take Russell...which meant we'd get Okafor.

Technically, the draft boards for the top 4 picks for each team was

LA:
Towns, Russell, Okafor, Porzingis, Mudiay

Philly:
Russell, Okafor, Porzingis, Mudiay

NY:
Okafor, Russell, Porzingis, Mudiay

They all had him around their 3rd guy. Philly wanted Russell. If they couldn't get russell, they really wanted Porzingis, but took Okafor as the safer pick.

we dont know what any teams board really was... just what they wanted us to hear or know.

Alot of things Phil has said since the draft suggest KP was his #1 guy all along, especially after they knew they wouldn't get Towns.

Longhornfan1234
11-10-2015, 11:32 AM
I remember when Knicks fans were over hyping rookie Landry Fields and said shumpert could be the next Wade......... lol.

IDunknown
11-10-2015, 03:22 PM
I dont think Russell is a bust yet. No way. Give him time, People have extremely high expectations and are expecting him to put up 20 ppg? Id like to see more Dimes from Russel and a bit more ppg as the season goes a long. It's going to be hard for him to get his shots when he has kobe, swaggy p and lou will going Iso ball and playing 1v 5 with the other team

I agree with you. He's on the wrong team. He'll look a lot better, if Kobe leaves. Him and Clarkson are both point guards too. They can't make one the sixth man because they have Lou Williams now.

PurpleLynch
11-10-2015, 03:40 PM
I'll spit my judgement on Russell after at least two seasons. Right now he is playing in a bad team,with a lot of youngsters(some of 'em have potential though) and a "leader" in Kobe Bryant,who is playing one of his worst season right now. Plus,Byron Scott is not a good coach in my honest opinion. The organization still has money,but they spend it in the wrong ways.

Said that,I think Zinger has Nowitzki's potential. Really good pick. Maybe he will be like him or maybe not,but definitely a good pick in any scenario imo. Still,he has to keep working hard and hope in a healthy career injury wise.

KnicksorBust
11-10-2015, 04:02 PM
Sadly,I agree. I still really hope I'm wrong, I just haven't even seen a glimpse of anything.

Its still way too early too tell, and we wont know til at least a couple years. I was saying it on draft day tho, we really ****ed up not taking okafor imo. Please prove me wrong Dlo....

If he went to Philly I really think we'd be seeing his potential right now. The Lakers have too many guys who like to have the ball in their hands. D'lo is 6th in usage. That is not playing to his strengths. It reminds me a lot of James Harden. Go back and look at his first 2 weeks or his career.

hotdalton18
11-11-2015, 12:19 AM
The Lakers draft pick was maybe the worst I've ever seen right there with Beasley.

Beasley played pretty well in Miami rookie and 2nd year

Got shipped to Timberwolves and did 19/8

He was a really talented player

Off court and attitude is what messed his career up

kobe4thewinbang
11-11-2015, 12:40 AM
Well, so far everyone else looks better than Russell. Kid has a 5mil contract and can't even get a decent average. No wonder Lakers are struggling. Kobe's gotta be frustrated. Randle is showing flashes but Russell has sucked. Can't eben get more than 5&5 most nights in 25-30 mins. Whereas "crappy" Rondo is triple-doubling it in Sactown and Lakers didn't pursue him.

FlashBolt
11-11-2015, 03:37 AM
How is Russell a bust already? I think the kid is doing just fine given the deck he's been handed.

You have a dysfunctional franchise to begin with.

You have a ballhogging SG who still thinks he's the best player on the court.

You have a coach who no one likes to blame for whatever reason.

You have a young team overall.

He's playing the toughest opponents since he's a PG.

You have players who play the same role on the team (Lou/Nick/Bryant). All three are volume scorers who need the ball. And all three have a higher USG% than Russell.

If anything was a bad fitting, it was this Lakers team. They brought a young PG with talent expecting him to be Magic and then when things go sour, they put the blame on him. At least when you're any other position, you can just rebound and get a few blocks here and there. But a starting PG for the Lakers = 10x the magnifier.

I think he has the lowest USG% for a starting PG in the league.

Sadds The Gr8
11-11-2015, 03:47 AM
Well, so far everyone else looks better than Russell. Kid has a 5mil contract and can't even get a decent average. No wonder Lakers are struggling. Kobe's gotta be frustrated. Randle is showing flashes but Russell has sucked. Can't eben get more than 5&5 most nights in 25-30 mins. Whereas "crappy" Rondo is triple-doubling it in Sactown and Lakers didn't pursue him.

empty stats. their offense goes to shitt when he's on the floor instead of Collison

KnicksorBust
11-11-2015, 09:40 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0FhW-lH4p8&feature=youtu.be

Porzingis just had his worst season game with 8+6 and 3/11 FG. Also he had great putback slam.

He did play terrible last night. It was on both ends of the floor. Lets hope you dont feel the need to update this thread after every game. :)

KnicksorBust
11-11-2015, 09:41 AM
How is Russell a bust already? I think the kid is doing just fine given the deck he's been handed.

You have a dysfunctional franchise to begin with.

You have a ballhogging SG who still thinks he's the best player on the court.

You have a coach who no one likes to blame for whatever reason.

You have a young team overall.

He's playing the toughest opponents since he's a PG.

You have players who play the same role on the team (Lou/Nick/Bryant). All three are volume scorers who need the ball. And all three have a higher USG% than Russell.

If anything was a bad fitting, it was this Lakers team. They brought a young PG with talent expecting him to be Magic and then when things go sour, they put the blame on him. At least when you're any other position, you can just rebound and get a few blocks here and there. But a starting PG for the Lakers = 10x the magnifier.

I think he has the lowest USG% for a starting PG in the league.

How do you think he would be doing in Philly?

Scoots
11-13-2015, 01:02 PM
On ESPN Radio they mentioned Warriors interim coach Luke Walton maybe being the Lakers next head coach. Anything would be better for Russ than sticking with the current staff for another year.

RateSports
11-13-2015, 03:11 PM
This have to be the dumbest shĚt i ever read on PSD.

hahahaha i know man. That was classic.