PDA

View Full Version : Turnover: The Most Impressive Thing About Curry's Big Start

JasonJohnHorn
11-01-2015, 01:16 PM
With a 40 and 50 point game already under his belt, and a career-high average of 5+ boards a game, it is easy to get excited about Curry's explosive start to the season, even if you realize he likely won't be maintaining his stellar scoring average past the second week of the season.

But what I've been most impressed with is the way he's taking care of the ball. That kind of thing is not a matter of a 'big' night; it is a change in style of play.

Last season both Kerr and Curry mother called him out on taking care of the ball, and he also noted it was an area he wanted to improve in.

His assist-to-turnover ration right now is the best of his career, but given how small a sample size we have (3 games), it's not terrible impressive. What makes it so incredibly impressive is that on top of handing out 22 assists so far this season while causing only 5 turnovers (better than 4-1), he's ALSO taken almost 70 shot! 68 to be exact. That means on no less than 90 plays he has only turned the ball over 5 times!

Again.... small sample size, but more so than his high scoring and rebounding average, and disgustingly high percentages, it is his ability to take care of the ball which he can maintain for the rest of the season, and I think that is going to be huge for a team that was already good enough to win it all last year.

What are your thoughts on this aspect of Curry's game? Can he maintain it?

lamzoka
11-01-2015, 01:39 PM
He looks better than ever. He will probably lead the "association" in scoring and back to back MVP

Gander13SM
11-01-2015, 01:42 PM
He's going to have bad nights with turnovers. It's the nature of the system, there's so much ball movement now it's a little Spurs-esque.

And he'll have nights where he struggles to score. It happens.

But so far, this is the most impressive start to a season I've ever seen in my lifetime (I'm too young to remember Jordan playing in 1989/90).

KnicksorBust
11-01-2015, 02:34 PM
Best player in the league. I said it last year and I will continue to say it. His ball handling is elite, his passing is stellar, and he is the greatest shooter in nba history.

FlashBolt
11-01-2015, 03:17 PM
Ball handling = elite.
Passing = elite.
Shooting = Godlike.
Ability to get to the rim = elite.

If he works on his defense, IDK what to say.

Tony_Starks
11-01-2015, 03:34 PM
Best player in the league. I said it last year and I will continue to say it. His ball handling is elite, his passing is stellar, and he is the greatest shooter in nba history.

+1

Gander13SM
11-01-2015, 03:49 PM
Ball handling = elite.
Passing = elite.
Shooting = Godlike.
Ability to get to the rim = elite.

If he works on his defense, IDK what to say.

A lot of the advanced metrics made a solid case last year for him being the best defensive PG. I don't buy it. But he is improving.

likemystylez
11-01-2015, 10:19 PM
A lot of the advanced metrics made a solid case last year for him being the best defensive PG. I don't buy it. But he is improving.

well toney douglas scored 21 on him last night. Assuming reasonable defense holds people around their averages... that wasnt a very good showing.

toney douglas scoring 21 points is like steph curry scoring 75

Hawkeye15
11-01-2015, 10:23 PM
yeah this dude is ****. Curry is special. He is going to destroy it for a few years.

flea
11-01-2015, 10:28 PM

A lot of advanced metrics are utterly wrong. But who cares? He plays the least important defensive position. Nash was never a good defender but he was still an elite guard. He just had Stat as his rim protector instead of Bogut.

likemystylez
11-01-2015, 10:38 PM
A lot of advanced metrics are utterly wrong. But who cares? He plays the least important defensive position. Nash was never a good defender but he was still an elite guard. He just had Stat as his rim protector instead of Bogut.

LMAO @ Staudamire being a rim protector... or any type of defensive presence at any point in his career.

Scoots
11-02-2015, 12:50 AM
Curry's D IS good. It's not elite, but it's definitely good. DeAndre Jordan finished 3rd in DPOY because of blocks ... Curry lead the NBA in steals last year. His D is sneaky good as part of the team concept.

8kobe24
11-02-2015, 06:10 PM
It's fun seeing him grow into the player he is now. Best player in the league hands down. His defense is getting better and I think this will be the last piece to fall into place in his all around game. Good team/help defense should make up for it.

TrueFan420
11-02-2015, 07:23 PM
LMAO @ Staudamire being a rim protector... or any type of defensive presence at any point in his career.

That's his point. Nash might not have been considered as bad of a defender if he had great defenders around him like curry does.

IndyRealist
11-03-2015, 08:21 AM

Not sure what he means by "a lot" anyway. On a superior defensive team, everyone will look good defensively. It's just the nature of help defense.

And i disagree on PG being the least important defensive position. Every second you disrupt the opposing ballhandler, the less time they have to run their offense. And since it is his job to get the ball in position to score, if you can force them away from their first and second option you've basically won that exchange. All positions have their naturally developed responsibilities on D.