PDA

View Full Version : Each NBA Team's Centerpiece for 2015-16 Season

beasted86
10-27-2015, 07:02 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2582905-each-nba-teams-franchise-centerpiece-entering-2015-16-season

Every team has a de facto centerpiece, but not all can boast someone who truly fits that description. It's not always a club's best or highest-paid player, though those factors can play a pivotal part in sorting out centerpieces.

These designations can and often do change quickly—from year to year, month to month, week to week, sometimes even game to game. For now, the following 30 players look like the centerpieces of their respective organizations based on past individual production, league-wide recognition and projected impact on team success heading into the 2015-16 season.

Atlanta Hawks: Al Horford
Boston Celtics: Marcus Smart
Brooklyn Nets: Brook Lopez
Charlotte Hornets: Al Jefferson
Chicago Bulls: Derrick Rose
Cleveland Cavaliers: LeBron James
Dallas Mavericks: Dirk Nowitzki
Denver Nuggets: Danilo Gallinari
Detroit Pistons: Andre Drummond
Golden State Warriors: Steph Curry
Houston Rockets: James Harden
Indiana Pacers: Paul George
Los Angeles Clippers: Chris Paul
Los Angeles Lakers: Kobe Bryant
Memphis Grizzlies: Marc Gasol
Miami Heat: Dwyane Wade
Milwaukee Bucks: Giannis Antetokounmpo
Minnesota Timberwolves: Andrew Wiggins
New Orleans Pelicans: Anthony Davis
New York Knicks: Carmelo Anthony
Oklahoma City Thunder: Kevin Durant
Orlando Magic: Victor Oladipo
Philadelphia 76ers: Nerlens Noel
Phoenix Suns: Eric Bledsoe
Portland Trailblazers: Damian Lilliard
Sacramento Kings: DeMarcus Cousins
San Antonio Spurs: Tony Parker
Toronto Raptors: Kyle Lowry
Utah Jazz: Gordon Hayward
Washington Wizards: John Wall

Thoughts?

HandsOnTheWheel
10-27-2015, 07:10 PM
Should be Butler for the Bulls, not Rose.

tredigs
10-27-2015, 07:28 PM
Rose/Dirk/Kobe are all off base. Tony Parker for the Spurs is pretty ridiculous as well. I'd probably name him 4th after Kawhi/Duncan/LMA.

Scoots
10-27-2015, 07:30 PM
Poor Lakers fans

OlivaThor
10-27-2015, 07:51 PM
Boston Celtics: Isaiah Thomas
Chicago Bulls: Jimmy Butler
Dallas Mavericks: Chandler Parsons
Denver Nuggets: Kenneth Faried
Los Angeles Clippers: Blake Griffin
Los Angeles Lakers: Dbustello Russel
Miami Heat: Chris Bosh
Oklahoma City Thunder: Russell Westbrook
Philadelphia 76ers: Jahlil Okafor
San Antonio Spurs: Kawhi Leonard

valade16
10-27-2015, 08:55 PM
Bulls should be Butler and Spurs should be Kawhi

Dade County
10-28-2015, 12:16 AM
But parker is what makes everything go. But i do understand where you guys are coming from.

JAZZNC
10-28-2015, 12:20 AM
Nailed it with Hayward, but that's a gimme. He is just far and above the most important guy on offense and plays adequate D. I feel like he is a top 5 SF in the league.

mightybosstone
10-28-2015, 08:58 AM
I didn't see anybody else mention this, but I thought Marcus Smart was way off base as well. He's not even the best point guard on his own team, but he's the Celtics' centerpiece? That makes zero sense.

WaDe03
10-28-2015, 11:09 AM
I didn't see anybody else mention this, but I thought Marcus Smart was way off base as well. He's not even the best point guard on his own team, but he's the Celtics' centerpiece? That makes zero sense.

Yea that was a terrible choice.

kdspurman
10-28-2015, 11:20 AM
Rose/Dirk/Kobe are all off base. Tony Parker for the Spurs is pretty ridiculous as well. I'd probably name him 4th after Kawhi/Duncan/LMA.

+1

ewing
10-28-2015, 11:34 AM

Makes no sense at all. Isiah Thomas was the guy that turned that team around last year and David Lee is their most accomplished player now. Its almost that they picked a name out of a hat

hugepatsfan
10-28-2015, 01:45 PM
Makes no sense at all. Isiah Thomas was the guy that turned that team around last year and David Lee is their most accomplished player now. Its almost that they picked a name out of a hat

The team played better once they acquired IT yes, but he missed 1/3 of the games he was on the team for. Every player on the roster was subject of trade rumors all season so once the deadline passed I think many of the guys settled in and became more comfortable. The fact that they went out and got IT also gave them confidence because the team "bought." Made them all play better. IT made an impact no doubt but I think saying he turned the team around is a stretch.

Marcus Smart would without a doubt be the player that internally they hold in the highest value. Not the best player right now. A direct quote from the link:

Every team has a de facto centerpiece, but not all can boast someone who truly fits that description. It's not always a club's best or highest-paid player, though those factors can play a pivotal part in sorting out centerpieces.

So yeah, if you read the criteria Marcus Smart is without a doubt the choice for the Celtics.

LakersEaglesLA
10-28-2015, 02:04 PM
Boston Celtics: Isaiah Thomas
Chicago Bulls: Jimmy Butler
Dallas Mavericks: Chandler Parsons
Los Angeles Clippers: Blake Griffin
Los Angeles Lakers: Dbustello Russel
Miami Heat: Chris Bosh
Oklahoma City Thunder: Russell Westbrook
Philadelphia 76ers: Jahlil Okafor
San Antonio Spurs: Kawhi Leonard

Russell hasn't play 1 real game yet but he's a bust? Ignorance at it's Best! Congrats Hater

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-28-2015, 02:16 PM
Last season it could of been Parker but he got injured rookie year. But now it's Giannis team. Unless Monroe or Middleton picks it up a couple notches.

mightybosstone
10-28-2015, 02:31 PM
The team played better once they acquired IT yes, but he missed 1/3 of the games he was on the team for. Every player on the roster was subject of trade rumors all season so once the deadline passed I think many of the guys settled in and became more comfortable. The fact that they went out and got IT also gave them confidence because the team "bought." Made them all play better. IT made an impact no doubt but I think saying he turned the team around is a stretch.

Marcus Smart would without a doubt be the player that internally they hold in the highest value. Not the best player right now. A direct quote from the link:

So yeah, if you read the criteria Marcus Smart is without a doubt the choice for the Celtics.

While I get the whole "player with the greatest value" argument, I think value is relative. Marcus Smart might be the team's best player in 2-3 years or might have the highest ceiling of any player currently on the roster, but Smart isn't the reason that team was competitive last year and made the playoffs. In terms of talent currently on the team, the centerpiece of this current Celtics squad is probably IT or Lee.

But if we're talking about the future of the franchise, I look at all of those picks Boston has next season, and this team will probably be loaded with young talent a year from now. In fact, it's quite possible they'll draft someone better than Smart, so Smart's ceiling as the argument as the team's centerpiece is kind of a moot one. I actually think the Celtics are going to be in trouble if Marcus Smart is the best player 4-5 years down the line.

The real centerpiece of that team right now is the duo of Brad Stevens and Danny Ainge. Ainge has done an admirable job of acquiring assets and turning this rebuilding roster around quickly, and Stevens is getting the most out of these young players.

tredigs
10-28-2015, 03:56 PM

Thomas is better for sure, but I'd be curious how a Celtics fan would react. I'm thinking it's Smart who they have higher hopes for and sort of consider the budding cornerstone at this point. We know Thomas is a nice PG, but he's not what I'd call a franchise player. With Smart they probably still have that hope.

2-ONE-5
10-28-2015, 04:00 PM
Sixers centerpiece is Okafor not Noel.

OlivaThor
10-28-2015, 04:03 PM
Russell hasn't play 1 real game yet but he's a bust? Ignorance at it's Best! Congrats Hater

Hater? More like realist

hugepatsfan
10-29-2015, 04:30 PM
Thomas is better for sure, but I'd be curious how a Celtics fan would react. I'm thinking it's Smart who they have higher hopes for and sort of consider the budding cornerstone at this point. We know Thomas is a nice PG, but he's not what I'd call a franchise player. With Smart they probably still have that hope.

I don't think too many of us have that hope that Smart is going to be a "franchise player." I think most of us are just hoping that he can be a very good player. My hopes are that he ends up being a #4 type player on a champuionship team. I think he's better off moving to the 2 guard spot in an offense that splits ball handling duties (Stevens' system does that so no issues there). He has not only great defensive ability but flexibility (can guards 1s, 2s and probably most 3s). He's worked on his shot so he's not really a liability there anymore. Hopefully he can continue to improve to where he's actually an asset to the offense in that area, but we'll see.

I'd like to see him develop into a 15/5/5 type SG with awesome defense, 45% shooter, 35% from 3. I'd be happy with that.

In terms of him being "the centerpiece," I think he falls into the category the article mentions of not truly fitting the description but probably the de facto choice for BOS. You could argue IT over him but that's about it. Other guys besides IT are probably better players, but contractually they don't fit in the long-term plans (Lee, Amir) or maybe they do but just aren't as good or as high a ceiling (Crowder, Bradley). IT has a reasonable deal so he also fits the description but I think Ainge would be more willing to move him because I think the scorer off the bench skill set is probably a little more prevelent around the NBA than a SG in the mold of Smart (playing style wise - not saying Smart is some sort of franchise player as outlined before).

tredigs
10-29-2015, 04:37 PM
I don't think too many of us have that hope that Smart is going to be a "franchise player." I think most of us are just hoping that he can be a very good player. My hopes are that he ends up being a #4 type player on a champuionship team. I think he's better off moving to the 2 guard spot in an offense that splits ball handling duties (Stevens' system does that so no issues there). He has not only great defensive ability but flexibility (can guards 1s, 2s and probably most 3s). He's worked on his shot so he's not really a liability there anymore. Hopefully he can continue to improve to where he's actually an asset to the offense in that area, but we'll see.

I'd like to see him develop into a 15/5/5 type SG with awesome defense, 45% shooter, 35% from 3. I'd be happy with that.

In terms of him being "the centerpiece," I think he falls into the category the article mentions of not truly fitting the description but probably the de facto choice for BOS. You could argue IT over him but that's about it. Other guys besides IT are probably better players, but contractually they don't fit in the long-term plans (Lee, Amir) or maybe they do but just aren't as good or as high a ceiling (Crowder, Bradley). IT has a reasonable deal so he also fits the description but I think Ainge would be more willing to move him because I think the scorer off the bench skill set is probably a little more prevelent around the NBA than a SG in the mold of Smart (playing style wise - not saying Smart is some sort of franchise player as outlined before).
Well that's good, at least you have a solid perspective. I'd agree that they don't currently have any franchise player on the team, but that Smart fits the mold as their "centerpiece" more than anyone else.

ChI_ShIzzLe
10-30-2015, 12:20 AM
Should be Butler for the Bulls, not Rose.

Bulls should be Butler and Spurs should be Kawhi

I have to disagree as a Bulls fan. I've watched enough Rose-less games over the past 3 years to know that this team is Jekyl & Hyde offensively without him on the court vs. with him. Butler may be the better player right now but Rose at the point changes the whole dynamic of the offense.

Go_NUGGETS
10-30-2015, 02:18 PM

I disagree with that one...Nuggets will go as far as Gallo takes them.

OlivaThor
10-31-2015, 08:00 AM
I disagree with that one...Nuggets will go as far as Gallo takes them.

Isn´t Faried the hearth of the all hustle fast paced basketball played in Denver?

kobe4thewinbang
10-31-2015, 11:15 AM
Switch Wiggins with Rubio, what a game 1 he had.
Heat is Dragic, not Wade, maybe even Bosh before Wade.
Dunno who to pick for Mavs. I'd say Thomas for Celtics.

WaDe03
10-31-2015, 11:48 AM

Wade is obviously the Heats center piece. Lol @ Dragic he might be our 4th best player and has been terrible so far this season. Wade is our best player and leader if you've watched you would know this.

FlashBolt
11-01-2015, 02:21 AM

Wade is still the best on that team... if you watched any of their games, you'd know how stupid that assumption of yours is.

Quinnsanity
11-01-2015, 07:32 PM
Should be Mudiay for the Nuggets. Seems like they're giving him a really long leash to make both plays and mistakes, view him as the future of the team.

Quinnsanity
11-01-2015, 07:34 PM
Wade is obviously the Heats center piece. Lol @ Dragic he might be our 4th best player and has been terrible so far this season. Wade is our best player and leader if you've watched you would know this.

Wade is still the best on that team... if you watched any of their games, you'd know how stupid that assumption of yours is.

Disagree. I think Bosh is the centerpiece of that team. Their main three-point threat, the fulcrum of their offense really. Plus he's such a good defender when he's playing 4 instead of 5. He can't protect the rim but so valuable on pick-and-rolls.

WaDe03
11-01-2015, 10:49 PM
Disagree. I think Bosh is the centerpiece of that team. Their main three-point threat, the fulcrum of their offense really. Plus he's such a good defender when he's playing 4 instead of 5. He can't protect the rim but so valuable on pick-and-rolls.

I see what your saying but it's just not right. You have to watch the games to see but it's really not even close.

Dade County
11-01-2015, 10:59 PM

I would have hoped it would have been a combination of Dragic & Bosh, buts its not even close, Wade is still the best player on this team by a large margin.

Hardaway Here
11-01-2015, 11:12 PM

Only ones who believe Wade isn't the centerpiece are non heat fans and people who generally never see the Heat play, unless its against their own team