PDA

View Full Version : NBA Redraft Playoffs (Conference Finals): Amherst vs Christmas

Shammyguy3
10-23-2015, 07:51 PM
Once again, users from the main NBA forum and subsequent team forums partook in a fantasy, snake redraft. There are two conferences, 28 teams total. The top-8 teams made the playoffs. Playoff rankings were voted on by users partaking in the game, and now the playoff matchups are to be voted on by all of YOU users in the this here forum. Please, vote for whichever team you think would win in a 7-game matchup and please put it in the poll (if you are unable, give me a shout out to add your vote to the poll). All players are considered 100% healthy, although we must take into account our own thoughts on exactly what 100% health means for certain players at these stages in their respective careers. So, go ahead and vote!

1. Amherst (Home-Court)
PG: Patrick Beverley | Trey Burke
SG: Wes Matthews | Evan Turner
SF: LeBron James | Luc Mbah a Moute
PF: Thaddeus Young | Cody Zeller
C: Hassan Whiteside | Tyler Zeller

3. Christmas
PG: Brandon Knight/Brandon Jennings
SG: Jordan Clarkson/Tony Wroten
SF: Harrison Barnes/James Jones
PF: Kevin Love/Mike Muscala
C: DeAndre Jordan/Ed Davis

Redrum187
10-23-2015, 09:00 PM
Leaning Christmas. Waiting for arguments/discussions from both sides.

Sadds The Gr8
10-24-2015, 04:27 AM
xmas has nobody for LBJ. When Barnes guarded him in the finals he was getting owned. amherst in 6

mightybosstone
10-24-2015, 09:35 AM
I'll wait for debate, but it's safe to say I'm leaning comfortably toward Amherst at this point.

xnick5757
10-24-2015, 08:07 PM
Definitely love the match-up for my team, but shout out to Christmas for making it this far and knocking off the #2 seed!

Down to business, these are just a few of the issues I see:

Jordan was fantastic last year, but his offense leaves some things to be desired. He's had CP3 throwing him lobs the past couple years, but now he has Knight at the point. Knight showed some promise last year, but he's obviously a downgrade from CP3.

Clarkson played most of his minutes at PG this season, and he was pretty bad on defense there. He's playing SG in this game, guarding Matthews, who is an absolute sniper.

The biggest mismatch in the series is Barnes trying to guard LeBron. There's no way that's happening, at all. LeBron wrecks Barnes.

Love against Young would seem to be a mismatch at first, but Young has played really, really well against Love of late (head 2 head here (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=loveke01&p2=youngth01)). If Love gets super hot, I can switch LeBron onto him and have Thad guard Barnes.

Whiteside against Jordan is a fun matchup, as each are really defense first guys that are great at rebounding. Not much to say there.

Overall I think my teams defense (3++ guys in Beverley, Matthews, and LeBron) combined with the fact that there is no one on Christmas that can even slow LeBron, means that my team takes the series.

Jets012
10-24-2015, 10:10 PM
Amherst depends a ton on Wes Matthews who is coming off a torn achilles. Safe to say he might not be the same player.

I'm sorry but this team around LeBron just isn't really that good. We all saw what happened in the finals when LeBron had to play with mediocre talent against a more talented team.

Thad and LeBron is a wacky fit. Beverley really shouldn't be a starter in this. Amherst relies big on a guy in Whiteside whose sample size is sooo small. Their bench really isn't good either.

IDK, I think my front court would dominate theirs. My backcourt would really make Beverley work on defense too.

Gander13SM
10-25-2015, 02:13 PM
Wes is underrated. Top 5 three and D guy at his position when healthy. Beverley is an okay shooter. Elite defender. I like Thad and the Zeller family. Whiteside is a flash in the pan until proven otherwise imo. Burke and Turner are solid back ups, can get buckets.

Barnes and Knight are real Jekyl and Hyde players. Barnes can go for 20 one night and not score at all the next. He's also a bigger liability on defense than people like to admit, he has good size and strength but a lack of defensive I.Q Love is horrible defensively. DJ is a great rim protector but not much else. Wroten and Davis are great bench pieces though, personally I would've started Wroten, would give you good length defensively with a Wroten/Clarkson back court.

Throw in the home court advantage and its difficult for me to envision a way in which Amherst loses. I just don't see it.

1. Who slows down LeBron? There's no Kawhi. No Iguodala. No Butler. Granted DJ might deter him from attacking the rim as much and you could always double him, but leaving Mathews wide open is a sure way to give up an easy three, doubling with Love seems foolish as he's not the most intelligent defender anyway. Not to mention LeBron's ability to pass out of the double.

2. Aside from Love, the majority of the offense appears to be coming from the Christmas back court. I don't see Knight or Jennings being as effective with Beverley on them. Or Wes on them for that matter.

3. It's LeBron. It's one of the top 5 players of the last 30 years. You NEED to slow him down to stand any chance. Amherst were clever. A back court of two very solid two way role players. A big with energy that can rebound and another big with veteran savvy. It's a decent squad around them.