PDA

View Full Version : An NBA Team in Montreal?

JustinTime
10-23-2015, 02:38 PM
While Montreal basketball fans prepare to descend on the Bell Centre for Friday night's annual pre-season NBA game between the Toronto Raptors and the Washington Wizards, one local businessman is spearheading a solitary effort to bring an NBA team to this city.

Michael Fortier, a former senator and cabinet minister in the Harper government, has been quietly working for about a year to get the ball rolling toward the city lining up its own NBA team. Back in January, he had an exploratory meeting with NBA commissioner Adam Silver, and has told La Presse that he's managed to find a couple of willing backers in the Quebec business community each of which has pledged $100 million toward a potential franchise.

"It's clear that I opened the commissioner's eyes to Montreal, and on the interest of the Montreal market," Fortier, a banker by trade, told La Presse. "Montreal is a big market. The NBA plays to sold-out crowds almost every time it comes to Montreal, and the people at the NBA understand there's an interest, and that basketball is growing in popularity in Canada."

There are plenty of roadblocks in Fortier's path. For one thing, the NBA isn't planning on expanding, nor does it have a committee in place to study the possibility of expanding in the near future. It's expected that it would require close to $1 billion just to get a team off the ground.

The Montreal Canadiens, who own the arena where a new franchise would play its home games, have also indicated they're not interested in funding a pro basketball team.

In the meantime, however, Fortier told the paper he's keeping the lines of communication open with Silver, and is hoping to meet with him again in the coming months.

http://www.cjad.com/cjad-news/2015/10/23/an-nba-team-in-montreal

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-23-2015, 03:12 PM
Yeah I remember last thread we had about moving teams or expansion. I had a article a few months back Silver said no to expansion for a couple years yet. Maybe after the next meeting? Thought there was suppose to be another bargaining agreement around the corner like 2016 or 2017? Doubt any teams move. Yeah there was that rumor the Hawks could of moved but didn't they get new owners? Bucks cleared the way with new arena. Also I think Seattle has first dibs on a team. But most likely two teams will come to the league at same time.

JWO35
10-23-2015, 03:25 PM
If Montreal gets a team it will have to be via expansion and it doesn't seem like the NBA plans to expand anytime soon...even if they did I question how high Montreal would rank compared to US cities like Seattle, Pittsburgh or Kansas City/St. Louis.

IMO it would be nice to have 2 Canadian teams, but the first city that comes to mind would be Vancouver

julienbball
10-23-2015, 04:57 PM
I remember arguing with some members of the forum last time we spoke about this. I'm a Montreal Basketball Fan, and I will be at the Bell Centre tonight for the game but I'm against a Montreal Expansion. Realistically speaking, I don't believe that their is a relevant enough market in Montreal for an NBA franchise.
Don't get me wrong I would love to be able to go see live NBA games in my city however I don't think a REGULAR fan base can be created. We have an NHL team with a looooong history, we have a MLS team with a big fan base, a CFL team, LHJMQ, F1 track and a Rich baseball history (a lot of guys are trying to bring MLB back)....basketball comes dead last in terms of interest on TV. Our sports channel NEVER shows basketball on TV and their is a reason for it. People would rather watch hockey, football, baseball, golf, F1racing or even freaking curling BEFORE they would even consider watching basketball.
We can't really compare but they tried with multiple leagues like ABA, PBL, NBLC and they all resulted in bankrupcy. We can't compare these leagues with the NBA but still it proves that the NBA HYPE is only created because we have ONE preseason game each year so we are able to fill a huge arena like the Bell Centre; however its only due to the uniqueness of a show like this yearly...

I just hope that the NBA doesnt base their judgment only on the population of the city. Yes we are 4 millions in the Greater Montreal Area but the amount of fans that would be willing to go on a regular basis to an NBA game is quite small considering the probability of a game falling on the same day of a Canadiens game in the NHL.

JEDean89
10-23-2015, 09:23 PM
There are definitely teams ahead of Montreal, notably Seattle.

I think

Seattle
Vancouver
Vegas
Louisville
Montreal
Calgary

can all support NBA teams, a number of them have hockey arenas that can also become NBA arenas too.

JustinTime
10-24-2015, 01:03 AM
There are definitely teams ahead of Montreal, notably Seattle.

I think

Seattle
Vancouver
Vegas
Louisville
Montreal
Calgary

can all support NBA teams, a number of them have hockey arenas that can also become NBA arenas too.

Calgary would be a joke.

I got

Vancouver
Seattle - sorry I don't care what Jack Armstrong says Vancouver is way more deserving than Seattle as they got screwed over way harder and unlike Seattle were never given a fair shot. Also, Vancouver would be the nicest city in the league.
Montreal

Sly Guy
10-24-2015, 03:37 PM
calgary would be a joke. There'd be 0 support in that market. They're the 'canadian texas', it's all hockey or bust out there.

JLynn943
10-24-2015, 04:39 PM
There are quite a few other cities that would do better with a team imo. Vancouver, Seattle, Vegas, Pittsburgh (not entirely sure, but I think Pitt's popularity in college basketball would help), Kansas City, St. Louis

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-25-2015, 12:56 PM
Seattle most likely gets one of the 2 expansions almost anonymously. Then toss about between Louisville, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Vancouver and Pittsburgh or St Louis.

JEDean89
10-25-2015, 11:22 PM
i feel like 2 teams in canada is solid

LanceUpperCut
10-26-2015, 02:46 PM
Yeah even though I'm 5-7 hours from Montreal a team there just wouldn't succeed, well not near as much as a team in Vancouver.