PDA

View Full Version : TT signs 5 yr deal with Cavs

spreadeagle
10-21-2015, 07:08 PM
http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/860346

The Cleveland Cavaliers have agreed to a five-year, $82-million contract with restricted free agent Tristan Thompson, according to a report from Chris Haynes of Northeast Ohio Media Group.

The summer's long game of chicken ends with the Cavs hardly moving from the reported five-year, $80-million offer they put on the table months ago. Thompson's camp had been holding out for something closer to a five-year, $90-million maximum contract but lost some of their leverage once the Cavs' one-year, $6.8-million qualifying offer expired on Oct. 1.

The expiration of the qualifying offer meant Thompson had no means of reaching unrestricted free agency next summer, short of a new one-year agreement with the Cavs. The Cavs have several frontcourt players working their way back from injury and are all-in for a title push - Thompson's deal likely pushes Cleveland to a historic luxury tax bill - but Thompson and Paul were left with few options if the Cavs weren't offering the max.

And while the total amount is less than Thompson reportedly wanted, it's still a good deal for the 24-year-old, as it makes him the league's sixth-highest paid power forward. It also means the Cavs have invested $192 million between Thompson and Kevin Love, who play the same position, a year before they'll have to give center Timofey Mozgov a sizable raise to keep him in unrestricted free agency.

DR_1
10-21-2015, 07:09 PM
How can they afford all these players?

spreadeagle
10-21-2015, 07:12 PM
got an extra 2 mil and got out of all the beginning of the season media stuff players hate doing...ok deal i guess lol

Raps18-19 Champ
10-21-2015, 07:14 PM
The amount of money Lebron generates alone probably equals that of the salary cap.

Scoots
10-21-2015, 07:17 PM
Still don't understand the qualifying offer thing. Seems like maybe his agent needs to get kicked to the curb.

I don't believe the Cavs are going to be making money the next couple years ... they will be one of the franchises crying poor when the CBA comes due again.

slashsnake
10-21-2015, 07:20 PM
How can they afford all these players?

Lol... Cash wise... Lebron plain and simple. He is his own economy.

Cap wise, can sign your own guys and go over the cap into the luxury tax.

Nice to hear, kinda figured it would happen as soon as they didn't get him on that restricted offer. Still think that is a LOT more than he's worth, but value is what you are willing to pay, and being over the cap you have the option of overpaying him... or nothing. Can't dip into FA for another good player.

More-Than-Most
10-21-2015, 07:21 PM
Still don't understand the qualifying offer thing. Seems like maybe his agent needs to get kicked to the curb.

I don't believe the Cavs are going to be making money the next couple years ... they will be one of the franchises crying poor when the CBA comes due again.

The Name of Lebron pretty much brings that in by himself... That is why they dont care how much they spend.

http://www.businessinsider.com/lebron-james-return-to-cleveland-boosted-cavs-revenue-2015-6

They made 216 million last year with the return of James.... They will likely make between 250-300 this year so they will still come away in the positive area every single year that james is on the team and is even close to as good as he is.

flea
10-21-2015, 07:26 PM
Pretty much figured it'd be about this. Draymond Green type numbers, probably a fair contract for an athletic big man's prime. Lebron's got his guys now - that team is more stacked than MJ's were in 96-98. It's a ring or bust, just like every year with his superteam.

More-Than-Most
10-21-2015, 07:31 PM
Pretty much figured it'd be about this. Draymond Green type numbers, probably a fair contract for an athletic big man's prime. Lebron's got his guys now - that team is more stacked than MJ's were in 96-98. It's a ring or bust, just like every year with his superteam.

Lol you are insane... No team is more stacked than any of Mjs teams... Does Lebron have one of the greatest defenders of all time and another top 25 player of all time on his team? Pip and Rod were better than every player on this cavs team not named James.

The Spurs and warriors are more rounded and stacked then this cavs team... Jesus christ the hate is insane.

Rivera
10-21-2015, 07:37 PM
This contract is asinine It pays to rebound and defend I guess.

SteBO
10-21-2015, 07:37 PM
Cant wait to see how much they're gonna be paying in luxury tax. Hey Dan, I'll forgive your slave-master letter as long as you spend up the *** to keep my guys around haha!

Anyway, they got all the guys back. Season can't start fast enough.

Hawkize31
10-21-2015, 07:39 PM
Lol you are insane... No team is more stacked than any of Mjs teams... Does Lebron have one of the greatest defenders of all time and another top 25 player of all time on his team? Pip and Rod were better than every player on this cavs team not named James.

The Spurs and warriors are more rounded and stacked then this cavs team... Jesus christ the hate is insane.

Yeah, but people want to spin the narrative like Lebron is on a dream team team every year and he should sleepwalk to 10 rings, and since he didn't hes a bust.

More-Than-Most
10-21-2015, 07:42 PM
Yeah, but people want to spin the narrative like Lebron is on a dream team team every year and he should sleepwalk to 10 rings, and since he didn't hes a bust.

Yup its the same dumb crap by the lebron haters year in and year out... His team is easily a top 3 team but if anyone actually thinks their teams are deeper than the warriors and spurs you are insane let alone better than any of the 90s bulls teams lol... I cant believe that joke.

Lol TT isnt even that good that all of a sudden this team is so stacked.

Vee-Rex
10-21-2015, 07:50 PM
TT and Rich Paul knew they lost the staredown with the Cavs front office. That extra 2 million (versus the 80 million originally offered) was just added in to save face.

I bet the Cavs wanted to withdraw the 80 million offer (they had Rich Paul + TT by the balls) but LBJ told them not to, which is why that report surfaced. TT had the market determine his worth and no one even dared to offer him anything (though only the Blazers and 76ers have the cap space I believe).

TT is not worth 82 million. I can say that 10 times over, but in the end it's not my money so I'm glad we were able to bring him back somehow. I feel a little better about our team headed into the season with Irving + Shumpert still out.

Scoots
10-21-2015, 08:00 PM
The Name of Lebron pretty much brings that in by himself... That is why they dont care how much they spend.

http://www.businessinsider.com/lebron-james-return-to-cleveland-boosted-cavs-revenue-2015-6

They made 216 million last year with the return of James.... They will likely make between 250-300 this year so they will still come away in the positive area every single year that james is on the team and is even close to as good as he is.

That $216M was total revenue from which everything has to be paid from the players down to the water bill at the practice facility. This year the amount spent on the players is estimated to be over $170M and next year all of those tax dollars will increase significantly because of the repeater rules. Even if they make $300M in revenue the cost base is climbing too. I honestly don't think they will be profitable for the next few years.

Avenged
10-21-2015, 08:04 PM
Talk about overkill.

flea
10-21-2015, 08:11 PM

If you think Rodman is a top 25 all-time player I don't know why we should take your opinions seriously (and most people don't). Pippen probably isn't even top 25, and if he is it's just barely.

Lebron's got a top 5 scorer/top 5-8 PG, top 10 wing defender, top 10 rim protector, top 3 rebounder, top 5 big man scorer, and 2 of the best bench shooters in the league currently (Mo Williams/JR Smith). That is a very stacked team. If it wasn't then why does it cost so much? I think it is a more talented top to bottom team than the Warriors, but it's close and I wouldn't argue the point too fervently.

Obviously health will be a factor like with any team in any season but it's one of the more talented teams in a long time from a depth perspective. Maybe not as talented as the Heat superteams since those teams had the top player in the conference at 3 positions plus good role players, but it's deeper than the Heat teams.

Arch Stanton
10-21-2015, 08:26 PM
Eh, when the cap rises over the next couple of years this won't look as bad.

bucketss
10-21-2015, 08:26 PM
can't believe role players are making 80 mill nowadays.

IndyRealist
10-21-2015, 08:31 PM
This contract is asinine It pays to rebound and defend I guess.

Wow.

JJ_JKidd
10-21-2015, 08:33 PM
Lebron GOD is all out of excuses now lol

NYSpirit1
10-21-2015, 08:34 PM
The Cavs payroll is now $110 million, next year it'll be like $120 million. I can't see Gilbert continuing to pay these numbers for extra periods.

Their tax situation is going to be insane and they're in Cleveland.. basically EXACTLY the same owner who was complaining about this in the 2011 lockout because the big markets had stacked teams.

minato_17
10-21-2015, 08:58 PM
Good deal for TT. Cavs will be in luxury tax hell for the next years. They can win it all with their roster when healthy. When healthy.

Tony_Starks
10-21-2015, 09:11 PM
The guy who was the crying ringleader of implementing all these superteam penalties for the Big market teams now has to pay the Piper.... Perfect!!

On the basketball side great move by the Cavs. They were already the clear cut favorite, this is just the icing on the cake.

Sick frontcourt depth!

J4KOP99
10-21-2015, 09:15 PM
its nice spending the lakers and the knicks money, right dan Gilbert?

Saddletramp
10-21-2015, 09:19 PM
If you think Rodman is a top 25 all-time player I don't know why we should take your opinions seriously (and most people don't). Pippen probably isn't even top 25, and if he is it's just barely.

Pretty sure when he said "one of the greatest defenders of all time" he was talking about Rodman and the Top 25 comment was about Pippen, who was voted in the top 50. And Pippen might not be Top 25 but when you said "just barely" it means you would buy that. He didn't top 10 or top 100. He said top 25, which even you said might apply.

Lebron's got......2 of the best bench shooters in the league currently (Mo Williams/JR Smith).

And you say others don't take someone's opinions seriously?

flea
10-21-2015, 09:26 PM
Pretty sure when he said "one of the greatest defenders of all time" he was talking about Rodman and the Top 25 comment was about Pippen, who was voted in the top 50. And Pippen might not be Top 25 but when you said "just barely" it means you would buy that. He didn't top 10 or top 100. He said top 25, which even you said might apply.

I misread then, thought he meant Rodman. Still think the Cavs supporting cast is just as talented as those late Bulls teams. They were still frontcourt shallow and both the secondary stars were on the wrong side of 30 (unlike Love/Irving who are prime).

And you say others don't take someone's opinions seriously?

You serious? Mo Williams had a 52 point game last season. He's basically a Jason Terry-lite with better passing for his whole career. 70th all time in made 3 pointers, with over 1000 3 point FGs for his career at the same rate as Jason Terry (38%). If he is not a great bench shooter then I have no idea who is.

Also I forgot Richard Jefferson, who beefs up their wing shooting too. He might be over the hill and a defensive liability but he is one of the best bench shooters at the SF position.

Sly Guy
10-21-2015, 09:27 PM
that's an awful lot of dollars for TT.

Jarvo
10-22-2015, 12:24 AM
His contract just makes me hate tall dudes who didn't play basketball even more lol like dude you could've made 82 million just to rebound a damn ball lmao

Saddletramp
10-22-2015, 12:56 AM
You serious? Mo Williams had a 52 point game last season. He's basically a Jason Terry-lite with better passing for his whole career. 70th all time in made 3 pointers, with over 1000 3 point FGs for his career at the same rate as Jason Terry (38%). If he is not a great bench shooter then I have no idea who is.

Also I forgot Richard Jefferson, who beefs up their wing shooting too. He might be over the hill and a defensive liability but he is one of the best bench shooters at the SF position.

Williams is old and getting older. His numbers have been sliding almost every year for the past decade. He's not awful but one of the best bench shooters in the league?

DillyDill
10-22-2015, 01:01 AM
That team is scary and will run the conference for a loooooonnnngggg timmmmeeee

nastynice
10-22-2015, 01:42 AM

Actually this cavs team IS pretty stacked. One thing they got out of those injuries last year, they got to see what some of their other guys have. Now you have TT AND Love! You know TT is a legit starter, they can start doing other things now maybe put Love in as a first option on a second squad. They know Mozgov is pretty legit, and still have Varajao. That's crazy depth up front! James is James. They know they can put Delly in to play defense for stretches. Irving will be healthy. They gonna make a serious run this year

heading into the season, they gotta be the best squad on paper

kobebabe
10-22-2015, 02:00 AM
TT just got an overpay for sure. The team look good on paper but other teams like SA and GSW look more well rounded. Just like any other year, a Lebron led team will be the team to beat but will come up short agaisnt any of the team that will come out of west. JMHO

FlashBolt
10-22-2015, 02:17 AM

Lebron's got a top 5 scorer/top 5-8 PG, top 10 wing defender, top 10 rim protector, top 3 rebounder, top 5 big man scorer, and 2 of the best bench shooters in the league currently (Mo Williams/JR Smith). That is a very stacked team. If it wasn't then why does it cost so much? I think it is a more talented top to bottom team than the Warriors, but it's close and I wouldn't argue the point too fervently.

Obviously health will be a factor like with any team in any season but it's one of the more talented teams in a long time from a depth perspective. Maybe not as talented as the Heat superteams since those teams had the top player in the conference at 3 positions plus good role players, but it's deeper than the Heat teams.

He was talking about Pippen being top 25 and unfortunately, you don't decide who is top 25. I'm sure Pippen would get votes for being top 25 for sure. Rodman ranks up there as one of the greatest defenders as well (which is why he mentioned that). So MJ had TWO greatest defenders on his team and someone who revolutionized defense as it was.

Secondly, it has to be relative as well. LeBron has a top 5 scorer/top 5-8 PG but how many playoff appearances/winning records did Kyrie lead the Cavs to?
Top 10 wing defender? Now you're reaching.. The same guy who was dumped by the Knicks for pennies.
Top 5 big man scorer in who? Love? How many playoff appearances did this guy get to?

I'm not saying Cavs aren't stacked but you have guys who are unproven. MJ had proven players who in their own right, were leading teams. (Rodman not so much but he had a ring and was huge for the Pistons). Plus, LeBron isn't in his prime whereas MJ was. LeBron with Rodman/Pippen would be 10x better than LeBron with Love/Kyrie just based off the fact that Rodman/Pippen did all the dirty work.

Also, how much a team spends means nothing. Brooklyn is the fifth highest spending team. Are they stacked?

Gander13SM
10-22-2015, 04:22 AM
Actually this cavs team IS pretty stacked. One thing they got out of those injuries last year, they got to see what some of their other guys have. Now you have TT AND Love! You know TT is a legit starter, they can start doing other things now maybe put Love in as a first option on a second squad. They know Mozgov is pretty legit, and still have Varajao. That's crazy depth up front! James is James. They know they can put Delly in to play defense for stretches. Irving will be healthy. They gonna make a serious run this year

heading into the season, they gotta be the best squad on paper

I agree with this. The starting lineup is already the best in the East, now they have a bench superior to all the Eastern teams. Not to mention how weak the conference is in general.

Cavs should steam roll the East. Anything less than 55 wins and I'll consider their regular season a failure.

I don't see a team that can prevent them from reaching the finals if Irving and Love can actually manage to stay healthy for a year (but given they're injury prone guys I'm not sure I see it happening).

But when they get to the finals... I think they'll be favourites on paper against pretty much everyone. But I personally don't see it happening. Something tells me whatever team comes out West this year is going to be so damn hungry, after battling through that gauntlet of blood, sweat and tears... I don't know. I just can't see a western conference team losing the finals. Regardless of who makes it out.

Sadds The Gr8
10-22-2015, 04:28 AM
worst contract in the league.

MonroeFAN
10-22-2015, 05:26 AM

Haha what? Lebrun has two career losers who only have a big name because of their inflated stats on terrible teams. I can't tell if this is a serious post or not, but I sure as heck hope so. He isn't even on the most talented team in the east and you had Andre ig coming off of your bench for crying out loud. No one can be this delusional. I'm not sure I would place this current level of talent in the top 10. You are easily swayed by swag and **** that doesn't matter apparently.

Tt is at best a 10 m player in my universe. I realize the inflated cap, I don't see a valid reason to simply throw it away because it's there.

2-ONE-5
10-22-2015, 07:58 AM
he is worth half of that contract at best. is he even going to start?

GiantsSwaGG
10-22-2015, 08:36 AM
Breaking New - Reggie Evans hires Tristen Thompson's agent

2-ONE-5
10-22-2015, 08:51 AM
Breaking New - Reggie Evans hires Tristen Thompson's agent

ahahha in the last TT thread I said if im the Cavs im telling TT to **** off and go sign Evans for the vet min to do the same work.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-22-2015, 09:02 AM
Bad contract even with the cap going up. Cause now the Cavs will have same roster for a long time. Cant sign any free agents without going over the cap. They will be going over the cap to keep their own. Also and we all know Cavs are a injury prone team already. LeBron wont be able to carry the team on his back to much longer.

Arch Stanton
10-22-2015, 09:21 AM
With the cap increase, In 2 years TT won't even be a top 20 paid PF.

GiantsSwaGG
10-22-2015, 09:42 AM
ahahha in the last TT thread I said if im the Cavs im telling TT to **** off and go sign Evans for the vet min to do the same work.

Lol Facts, GM LeBron James = GM Isiah Thomas

2-ONE-5
10-22-2015, 09:42 AM
hes prob not even or barely a top 20 PF anyway

nycericanguy
10-22-2015, 09:49 AM
With the cap increase, In 2 years TT won't even be a top 20 paid PF.

I doubt you'll have 20 PF's making over 16.4m per year in 2 years...lol. How many PF's make that now? Just checked... 5 guys. ( Love, LMA, Bosh, Blake, & Milsap) I doubt 15 more PF's will get over 16.4m in the next 2 years...lol.

But really im not sure TT is even a top 20 PF.

Arch Stanton
10-22-2015, 10:08 AM
I doubt you'll have 20 PF's making over 16.4m per year in 2 years...lol. How many PF's make that now? Just checked... 5 guys. ( Love, LMA, Bosh, Blake, & Milsap) I doubt 15 more PF's will get over 16.4m in the next 2 years...lol.

But really im not sure TT is even a top 20 PF.

You're valuing players on today's cap. Money will need to be spent by teams, so yes, IMO that will be the case.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-22-2015, 10:23 AM
I'll laugh if LeBron decides to do the decision yet again saying I cant win with this roster then leaves after this season. The Cavs stuck over the cap. Yet LeBron is the one playing GM having his own friends signed to max dollars. Cousin on twitter just posted "He got how much?" Then a sad face. Guys like O'Quinn probably think I should fire my agent. Knicks got him at a cheap rate.

Heck ex Bucks Jeff Adrien was putting up better numbers and barely paid like $2M or $3M per few years back. Also Mozgov will need to get paid next year as well while Cavs in luxury tax repeater. How long before when the Cavs stuck spinning their wheels and don't win it all some big trades happen? Doubt hardly any teams do them any favors taking any bad contracts off their hands. If Thunder's Westbrook decides he wants out Cavs should call up and offer Irving and Love for Westbrook. Even though if I was Thunder GM i'd say no. But it's better then nothing.

Arch Stanton
10-22-2015, 10:27 AM
I'll laugh if LeBron decides to do the decision yet again saying I cant win with this roster then leaves after this season. The Cavs stuck over the cap. Yet LeBron is the one playing GM having his own friends signed to max dollars. Cousin on twitter just posted "He got how much?" Then a sad face. Guys like O'Quinn probably think I should fire my agent. Knicks got him at a cheap rate.

Heck ex Bucks Jeff Adrien was putting up better numbers and barely paid like $2M or $3M per few years back. Also Mozgov will need to get paid next year as well while Cavs in luxury tax repeater. How long before when the Cavs stuck spinning their wheels and don't win it all some big trades happen? Doubt hardly any teams do them any favors taking any bad contracts off their hands. If Thunder's Westbrook decides he wants out Cavs should call up and offer Irving and Love for Westbrook. Even though if I was Thunder GM i'd say no. But it's better then nothing.

What are you smoking? That would be a really bad deal for the Cavs.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-22-2015, 10:45 AM
What are you smoking? That would be a really bad deal for the Cavs.

Irving never got Cavs in playoffs let alone Love didn't get Wolves anywhere. Lots of miles on LeBron. He cant shoulder the load to much longer. Before Lebron got there Cavs were lottery team. Love wasn't winning with Wolves. Should of kept Wiggins. At least Wolves got a cornerstone piece for a decade.

Arch Stanton
10-22-2015, 10:47 AM
Irving never got Cavs in playoffs let alone Love didn't get Wolves anywhere. Lots of miles on LeBron. He cant shoulder the load to much longer. Before Lebron got there Cavs were lottery team. Love wasn't winning with Wolves. Should of kept Wiggins. At least Wolves got a cornerstone piece for a decade.

That still doesn't mean you should trade two top 20 players (who are on 4-5 year deals), for Westbrook, whose missed more time than Irving and Love the past two years.

Scoots
10-22-2015, 11:28 AM
Weakest starter is whoever is starting at SG. The rest are stupid good to very good.

Not all that impressed with the backup guards and SFs ... decent players with holes in their games but functional.

2 DEEP at C and PF no doubt.

nycericanguy
10-22-2015, 11:37 AM
You're valuing players on today's cap. Money will need to be spent by teams, so yes, IMO that will be the case.

not really, teams have been giving out contracts for the last year or two with the expected cap rise in mind. Hence why Milsap got like $20m per year even though RIGHT NOW he's not a $20m player... but it won't look so bad in 2 years.

Looking at the list of PF free agents for 2016 & 17, there are maybe 2 or 3 guys I could see making 16.4m or more...certainly not 15 more!...lol. TT will be paid like a top 10 PF for a while.

slashsnake
10-22-2015, 11:46 AM

Great... and just because Pau Gasol never won a playoff game before going to LA doesn't mean you go with someone else who on a much better team did.

Arch Stanton
10-22-2015, 11:56 AM
not really, teams have been giving out contracts for the last year or two with the expected cap rise in mind. Hence why Milsap got like $20m per year even though RIGHT NOW he's not a $20m player... but it won't look so bad in 2 years.

Looking at the list of PF free agents for 2016 & 17, there are maybe 2 or 3 guys I could see making 16.4m or more...certainly not 15 more!...lol. TT will be paid like a top 10 PF for a while.

You could see 2 or 3 guys making that, but it doesn't mean that there won't be more guys that are making more than or equal to TT. And a lot of these guys labeled PF's, also play SF, and C, so consider that. Look, I've stated previously, I do think he was overpaid. But I also know that I am basing that off of how the cap situation looks now. Ultimately, I'm happy that our owner will spend, because we are a better team with Tristan than without.

2-ONE-5
10-22-2015, 12:14 PM
Before this deal not many PF's would be getting 16+ but after it that number prob increased because so many are better then him and can use his deal as leverage

nycericanguy
10-22-2015, 12:35 PM
You could see 2 or 3 guys making that, but it doesn't mean that there won't be more guys that are making more than or equal to TT. And a lot of these guys labeled PF's, also play SF, and C, so consider that. Look, I've stated previously, I do think he was overpaid. But I also know that I am basing that off of how the cap situation looks now. Ultimately, I'm happy that our owner will spend, because we are a better team with Tristan than without.

i agree with everything u said, just thought it was crazy to suggest 20 PF's will be making the same or more in 2 years.. its going to take a while for that to happen...

Arch Stanton
10-22-2015, 12:39 PM
i agree with everything u said, just thought it was crazy to suggest 20 PF's will be making the same or more in 2 years.. its going to take a while for that to happen...

Okay maybe not 20 PF's making more than or equal to TT, but his salary will be considered average in a couple of years.

IndyRealist
10-22-2015, 12:50 PM
What this really shows is that the market inefficiency around offensive rebounding, high percentage low usage players is gone. GMs have accepted that these players help put wins on the board even if they don't score a lot, because they generate possessions and don't waste them. Now they are getting paid, or even slightly overpaid due to the short supply of tall people. Fans just haven't caught on yet, hence all of the reactions going on in this thread.

FlashBolt
10-22-2015, 01:03 PM
What's happening is perfectly clear in the market today.

1) Teams are starting to realize it is about fit. Thompson fits with this team because he adds toughness.
2) The demand for low USG% players who do the dirty work is very valuable. They don't take up possessions while also providing opportunity at very little cost.
3) You have to account for the fact that he's getting paid based on the future value of the market. That's perfectly reasonable for someone signing a long-term contract.

The guy is the best ORPG, is incredibly durable (I think he hasn't missed a game yet), can start or play off the bench, is not a locker room issue, and he's friends with LeBron -- who can throw a tantrum at times. I think it's overpaid still but if Cavs can win a ring and create a dynasty, who's to argue?

2-ONE-5
10-22-2015, 01:24 PM
Even if the Cavs win it this year I cant see this team with all of the injury history turning into anything near a dynasty.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-22-2015, 01:45 PM
Cavs have to be 100% healthy to win it all. The make up of all the injury prone players they have that's like winning the Powerball lottery to stay healthy.

IndyRealist
10-22-2015, 02:19 PM
Even if the Cavs win it this year I cant see this team with all of the injury history turning into anything near a dynasty.

But it's Cleveland. One ring would be historic.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-22-2015, 02:23 PM
I give him full credit. Everyone wac criticizing him for rejecting a 4 year $50 mil offer last year and the 5 year, $80 mil this year.

GiantsSwaGG
10-22-2015, 05:22 PM

Something tells me LeBron might screw the Cavs again, get them in cap hell then leave

phantasyyy
10-22-2015, 05:43 PM
Something that hasnt been taken into consideration is the fact that Lebron himself has been signing this 1 year deals at the max @ the current salary cap structure..

Everybody also has to take into consideration that he is also gearing up for his super max deal which should start around ~30m.

Guranteed 21.5m love, 16m Irving, 15m TT, 10 Andy, 9.7 Shump, 1.3 Kaun, 1m Harris = 73.5m on books
Player Options 5m Smith, 2.2 Moe (Lebrons 24m - but he is going to opt out) - 7.2m
All together 80m Comitted w/o Lebron and Mozgov.

Shoot.

WaDe03
10-22-2015, 07:01 PM
Definitely not worth the money. He rebounds and.......

slashsnake
10-22-2015, 08:35 PM

Only worth it because who else are you getting instead? He's better than anything else you could get with no cap space. You'd be talking Taxpayers midlevel exception is all you have to replace him... 3.3 mil or whatever. Unless David West says yes, you are stuck with meh or aging guys who you really don't want playing more than 10 mins a game.

numba1CHANGsta
10-22-2015, 09:08 PM
Soo 16mil/yr for 5 years for a player to come off the bench? LOL

IKnowHoops
10-22-2015, 10:01 PM

You can reel off all this depth and talent Lebron plays with, but its going to be hard to take you seriously if you are just going to ignore the more important fact of who was healthy, who actually suited up, and who played at a high level along side of Lebron.

The reality of the situation is, Lebron carried a low talent squad in the finals. Not some powerhouse.

FlashBolt
10-22-2015, 10:17 PM

That's really not all he does.
1) Rebounds
2) Toughness
3) Consistency/durability
4) Locker room guy

WaDe03
10-22-2015, 10:37 PM
That's really not all he does.
1) Rebounds
2) Toughness
3) Consistency/durability
4) Locker room guy

But does he do $82M worth of that stuff off the bench? Udonis used to do all of those things had a knockdown midrange jumper and started for us and I don't think we ever paid him anywhere near that much.

More-Than-Most
10-22-2015, 10:49 PM
Its a horrid contract and right up there with one of the worst in the league along with 10 others this offseason... I think this is as bad as greens contract but both teams needed to do it and these contracts wont be the worst for long... We are heading to another lockout boys because soon crap players will be worst max deals.

FlashBolt
10-22-2015, 10:50 PM
But does he do $82M worth of that stuff off the bench? Udonis used to do all of those things had a knockdown midrange jumper and started for us and I don't think we ever paid him anywhere near that much.

Times have changed and it's probably the norm for him to get paid like that. In any case, if Cavs win, it doesn't matter.

WaDe03
10-22-2015, 11:01 PM
Times have changed and it's probably the norm for him to get paid like that. In any case, if Cavs win, it doesn't matter.

True.

IndyRealist
10-23-2015, 10:59 AM

Udonis took a pay cut to stay with Miami. And it's been quite a while since Haslem was in his prime. Comparing salaries from 6 years ago to ones based on next year's cap bump seems kind of silly.

nycericanguy
10-23-2015, 11:03 AM
Udonis took a pay cut to stay with Miami. And it's been quite a while since Haslem was in his prime. Comparing salaries from 6 years ago to ones based on next year's cap bump seems kind of silly.

yea gotta agree here.

Haslem in his prime made 6.5m per year when the cap was 56m. that's 11.5% of the cap.

TT will average 16.4m and the cap will average about $109m during his contract. Which is 15% of the cap.

Still an overpay for sure, but if you're going to compare you have to be fair.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-23-2015, 01:52 PM
Something that hasnt been taken into consideration is the fact that Lebron himself has been signing this 1 year deals at the max @ the current salary cap structure..

Everybody also has to take into consideration that he is also gearing up for his super max deal which should start around ~30m.

Guranteed 21.5m love, 16m Irving, 15m TT, 10 Andy, 9.7 Shump, 1.3 Kaun, 1m Harris = 73.5m on books
Player Options 5m Smith, 2.2 Moe (Lebrons 24m - but he is going to opt out) - 7.2m
All together 80m Comitted w/o Lebron and Mozgov.

Shoot.

We could be wrong about LeBron bolting Cleveland. Could of just did the 1 year deal to get to the new cap and have super max of like $30M or $35M per. Down the road I can see the top 5 or so super stars getting like $40M per. Heck Michael Jordan got $30M that one season in the 90's.

slashsnake
10-23-2015, 02:09 PM
We could be wrong about LeBron bolting Cleveland. Could of just did the 1 year deal to get to the new cap and have super max of like $30M or $35M per. Down the road I can see the top 5 or so super stars getting like $40M per. Heck Michael Jordan got $30M that one season in the 90's.

Yeah, he'd be throwing away a LOT of endorsement money if he changed again. Right back on the evil player. Just like last year when everyone was freaking out about a 1 year deal, and the smart media members explained in a couple years how the cap would jump so expect to see a couple of these, and some people didn't listen and said Lebron is just giving them 1 year. It makes zero sense from his side of things. He can get star players to play with him now, he has an owner that is willing to pay whatever it takes, he's home.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-23-2015, 02:40 PM
Thompson gonna be like Faried deal. Just a guy that rebounds. Heck Denver front office wasn't even fond of Faried. They only signed him to extension cause he was a fan favorite. Wouldn't be shocked Faried next Nugget dealt. Thing is not many teams would do Cavs any favors taking on bad contract of Thompson unless they're dumping a washed up injury prone player back in return. So Cavs are stuck being as is team for a while. Unless they trade Irving or Love. Not much else for the Cavs to trade for assets wise. Also they need to decide on Mozgov next summer.

FlashBolt
10-23-2015, 03:05 PM
Thompson gonna be like Faried deal. Just a guy that rebounds. Heck Denver front office wasn't even fond of Faried. They only signed him to extension cause he was a fan favorite. Wouldn't be shocked Faried next Nugget dealt. Thing is not many teams would do Cavs any favors taking on bad contract of Thompson unless they're dumping a washed up injury prone player back in return. So Cavs are stuck being as is team for a while. Unless they trade Irving or Love. Not much else for the Cavs to trade for assets wise. Also they need to decide on Mozgov next summer.

Mosgov is a keeper. Even if he comes off the bench, the dude is productive.

Scoots
10-23-2015, 03:35 PM
I was actually surprised they didn't try to extend Mozgov this off-season.

Arch Stanton
10-23-2015, 05:28 PM
I was actually surprised they didn't try to extend Mozgov this off-season.

It would cost too much in luxury tax. It will cost a lot next year too, but will not be as bad.

Arch Stanton
10-23-2015, 05:31 PM

I don't believe that Faried is a very good defender. It doesn't really matter from my perspective, they either pay Thompson or do not replace him with an equal player, because they are over the cap in both situations.

Scoots
10-23-2015, 07:13 PM
It would cost too much in luxury tax. It will cost a lot next year too, but will not be as bad.

If they extended him this offseason the new contract wouldn't take effect until next year so it wouldn't have made a difference to the cap this year. The advantage of signing him this offseason (early in FA particularly) is that maybe they could keep him further from the max. Next offseason he's going to be unrestricted and a LOT of teams are going to be able to sign him to a max deal with the Cavs having no right to match.

Arch Stanton
10-23-2015, 11:10 PM
If they extended him this offseason the new contract wouldn't take effect until next year so it wouldn't have made a difference to the cap this year. The advantage of signing him this offseason (early in FA particularly) is that maybe they could keep him further from the max. Next offseason he's going to be unrestricted and a LOT of teams are going to be able to sign him to a max deal with the Cavs having no right to match.

Good point! Well, I guess they couldn't solve every issue this offseason, and I believe he is more important than Tristan. However, he is older (30-31), and does have some knee issues after surgery, so maybe that is why there is a wait and see.

ewing
10-23-2015, 11:25 PM
Bron is the best GM

JEDean89
10-24-2015, 11:24 AM
Bron broke Gilbs bank account, but look, this only really a one year hit for him. with the cap raising like 40 million, thompson will be on the equivalent of a 10-12 million most of this contract. Love, Irving, Shumps, JR, all those contracts will look like steals. LBJ is the only one Gilbs is going to really have to break the bank for. He's looking at 5 years 200 mil+.

slashsnake
10-24-2015, 11:29 AM
I don't believe that Faried is a very good defender. It doesn't really matter from my perspective, they either pay Thompson or do not replace him with an equal player, because they are over the cap in both situations.

Agreed... they both kind of feel similar to me. Faried looked ok on D early on with Karl and a team that tried, but you could tell it was more effort than skill/ability on defense. TT feels the same to me. He'll try and he will box you out when a shot goes up, and looks ok but isn't a great defender by any means.

But yeah, they are what they are most likely now. Which is fine. No Irving, Love, Varejao, and playing 3 starters in the playoffs who weren't even on the team earlier in the season. Not bad for all that change.

FlashBolt
10-24-2015, 11:57 AM
Bron broke Gilbs bank account, but look, this only really a one year hit for him. with the cap raising like 40 million, thompson will be on the equivalent of a 10-12 million most of this contract. Love, Irving, Shumps, JR, all those contracts will look like steals. LBJ is the only one Gilbs is going to really have to break the bank for. He's looking at 5 years 200 mil+.

Which he deserves... Gilbert would pay that and double it if LeBron wanted. The fact is, Cleveland is nothing without LeBron. Gilbert learned his lesson.

Vee-Rex
10-24-2015, 12:38 PM

My only guess is the Cavs want to see what we have in Sasha Kaun. Mozzy is 30+. Although Kaun is 30 as well, remember Blatt started Kaun over Mozgov in the olympics. If Kaun at least is able to perform close to Mozgov, then the Cavs might be willing to let one or the other walk, whichever would be the cheapest option.

FlashBolt
10-24-2015, 12:48 PM
Kaun is not better than Mosgov.. Mosgov is a better rebounder, post presence, and that man can really run the floor. It's crazy that he's that big and can move like that. There's no excuse not to keep Mosgov unless he's asking for too much. As for Varejao, I think Cavs have a legit frontcourt team that should be dominating. You have four great rebounders, two of them are good defenders, and Varejao/Love can score the ball. Very well balanced. The biggest issue is also whether they can stay healthy. Tristan is a machine but I'm afraid Varejao is a bit too injury prone while Mosgov has been dealing with some injuries lately as well. Love IDK.. the guy needs to bulk up or something. Olynyk pulled his arm off like a twig.

slashsnake
10-24-2015, 12:52 PM
Which he deserves... Gilbert would pay that and double it if LeBron wanted. The fact is, Cleveland is nothing without LeBron. Gilbert learned his lesson.

Yup, sold out their season tickets that they were struggling with withing how many hours of Lebron's letter?

400 mil increase in value to that team last year.

I'd pay luxury tax if I was him to keep Bron happy and put together the best team possible.

Vinylman
10-24-2015, 01:35 PM

oh boy... people not understanding the difference between revenue and profit

cleveland will not make a profit this year when you factor in LT and revenue sharing (if there revenue goes to where people think).

Scoots
10-24-2015, 01:37 PM
My only guess is the Cavs want to see what we have in Sasha Kaun. Mozzy is 30+. Although Kaun is 30 as well, remember Blatt started Kaun over Mozgov in the olympics. If Kaun at least is able to perform close to Mozgov, then the Cavs might be willing to let one or the other walk, whichever would be the cheapest option.

Good point but a heck of a gamble.

Vinylman
10-24-2015, 01:47 PM
What's happening is perfectly clear in the market today.

1) Teams are starting to realize it is about fit. Thompson fits with this team because he adds toughness.
2) The demand for low USG% players who do the dirty work is very valuable. They don't take up possessions while also providing opportunity at very little cost.
3) You have to account for the fact that he's getting paid based on the future value of the market. That's perfectly reasonable for someone signing a long-term contract.

The guy is the best ORPG, is incredibly durable (I think he hasn't missed a game yet), can start or play off the bench, is not a locker room issue, and he's friends with LeBron -- who can throw a tantrum at times. I think it's overpaid still but if Cavs can win a ring and create a dynasty, who's to argue?

no other team in the league would pay him what the cavs did and didn't ....

this is a unique situation driven by two things

1. Gilbert's willingness to go all in on the LT
2. Thompson having the same agent as Lebron

No other team bid for him because they wouldn't pay him such an assinine amount

Vinylman
10-24-2015, 01:49 PM
I give him full credit. Everyone wac criticizing him for rejecting a 4 year $50 mil offer last year and the 5 year, $80 mil this year.

gonna LMFAO when the ship him out to some **** hole where he will be in purgatory for 5 years

Vinylman
10-24-2015, 01:51 PM

where were all the offers this offseason?

Vinylman
10-24-2015, 01:57 PM
Yup, sold out their season tickets that they were struggling with withing how many hours of Lebron's letter?

400 mil increase in value to that team last year.

I'd pay luxury tax if I was him to keep Bron happy and put together the best team possible.

The value increase is irrelevant unless Gilbert sell before Lebron leaves... once Lebron is done the Cavs are irrelevant

slashsnake
10-24-2015, 02:09 PM
The value increase is irrelevant unless Gilbert sell before Lebron leaves... once Lebron is done the Cavs are irrelevant

Depends how the post-Lebron transition happens. If there is a residual positive after, a-la the Bulls post Jordan, sure they were bad for years, but they became a MUCH bigger franchise because of him and never fell back to what they were before. If they can be more competitive than the bulls, A-la the Heat, they could maintain that value beyond Lebron even better.

Even when Lebron left the first time.. Value climbing and climbing every year, sure it dropped 100 mil when he left, but was at a much better spot and ranking (15th in the post-LBJ years) than before (low 20's pre-lebron)

If while the team has him they are getting the city to help with new practice facilities, refurbing the arena, etc... all those things would continue to increase value. If he helps bring in stars to transition to as he ends his career, sure that would be beneficial. If Gilbert sells a share in his team, gets a long term naming or rights or local TV deal, all those are increased income that could last well beyond.

Vinylman
10-24-2015, 03:08 PM
Depends how the post-Lebron transition happens. If there is a residual positive after, a-la the Bulls post Jordan, sure they were bad for years, but they became a MUCH bigger franchise because of him and never fell back to what they were before. If they can be more competitive than the bulls, A-la the Heat, they could maintain that value beyond Lebron even better.

Even when Lebron left the first time.. Value climbing and climbing every year, sure it dropped 100 mil when he left, but was at a much better spot and ranking (15th in the post-LBJ years) than before (low 20's pre-lebron)

If while the team has him they are getting the city to help with new practice facilities, refurbing the arena, etc... all those things would continue to increase value. If he helps bring in stars to transition to as he ends his career, sure that would be beneficial. If Gilbert sells a share in his team, gets a long term naming or rights or local TV deal, all those are increased income that could last well beyond.

chicago is a bad comparison because it is a much larger media market than cleveland and a preferred FA location over Cleveland both of which drive value.

Of course the tide of NBA values will continue to rise but the effect of Lebron on Cleveland's value will evaporate the second he is gone.

Cleveland fans should enjoy the next 4 years because after that the future is bleak

Scoots
10-24-2015, 06:17 PM
where were all the offers this offseason?

NBA teams know that if they make it known they will match any offer there will be no offers. An offer ties up time and money and it can really hurt a team to get an RFA to sign a sheet only to have it matched. It's a prime reason top flight RFAs so seldom move.

slashsnake
10-24-2015, 06:34 PM
chicago is a bad comparison because it is a much larger media market than cleveland and a preferred FA location over Cleveland both of which drive value.

Of course the tide of NBA values will continue to rise but the effect of Lebron on Cleveland's value will evaporate the second he is gone.

Cleveland fans should enjoy the next 4 years because after that the future is bleak

So even though Cleveland's value didn't fully evaporate when Lebron left before it will this time? My point was they were always late 20's in value pre-Lebron, and mid teens post Lebron. That value didn't evaporate.

And Chicago was a bigger media market but they ignored the Bulls before Jordan, not really since then.

I'd agree post-Lebron the future doesn't look great, but you could say that for just about any team with the best player. But there's even more of a reason where if an owner really wants to win, you sign TT now. Overpaying a guy whenever Lebron retires isn't helping you. Paying him now can help you bring a championship to Cleveland though.

Saddletramp
10-24-2015, 07:02 PM
NBA teams know that if they make it known they will match any offer there will be no offers. An offer ties up time and money and it can really hurt a team to get an RFA to sign a sheet only to have it matched. It's a prime reason top flight RFAs so seldom move.

Plus, if a guy is rumored to be asking for some astronomical salary, why would a team waste their time?

McAllen Tx
10-24-2015, 07:32 PM
I think its a rediculous amount for TT but I dont blame Gilbert for doing it. He knows his team are legitimate title contenders with a 4-5 year window. They have to go all in. If its in Gilberts power he cant let players leave over money.

Its already proven that no star in their prime players will go to Cleveland to team up with LBJ. Not cause of LBJ but cause of Cleveland. I remember reading that LBJ tried to convince Wade & Bosh to go to Cleveland instead of Miami and they both laughed.

I dont think they would be able to get an equally talented player then TT. Cheaper yes but not as talented. But right now money isnt the important thing. And Gilbert isnt thinking about the post LBJ team. He's thinking about getting a ring.

IKnowHoops
10-24-2015, 11:29 PM
I think its a rediculous amount for TT but I dont blame Gilbert for doing it. He knows his team are legitimate title contenders with a 4-5 year window. They have to go all in. If its in Gilberts power he cant let players leave over money.

Its already proven that no star in their prime players will go to Cleveland to team up with LBJ. Not cause of LBJ but cause of Cleveland. I remember reading that LBJ tried to convince Wade & Bosh to go to Cleveland instead of Miami and they both laughed.

I dont think they would be able to get an equally talented player then TT. Cheaper yes but not as talented. But right now money isnt the important thing. And Gilbert isnt thinking about the post LBJ team. He's thinking about getting a ring.

Kevin Love?

McAllen Tx
10-25-2015, 12:52 AM
Kevin Love?

Got traded for. Stuck around for the extra $25 million

DillyDill
10-25-2015, 07:22 AM

They'll still have Uncle Drew to build around who's only 22 right now scary

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-25-2015, 11:07 AM

Silver said teams are not allowed to say publicly saying they will match all offer sheets to RFA any longer. Bucks didn't do it this year. But we said it previous years to Jennings and Knight. This year we let the market set the price for Middleton but teams knew Bucks had two max cap slots and change.

Scoots
10-25-2015, 11:18 AM
Silver said teams are not allowed to say publicly saying they will match all offer sheets to RFA any longer. Bucks didn't do it this year. But we said it previous years to Jennings and Knight. This year we let the market set the price for Middleton but teams knew Bucks had two max cap slots and change.

So when the owner, GM, and the coach are asked about a player and they say "It's a top priority to re-sign them and I don't see them going anywhere else" ... is that now breaking a rule? Everybody knows when a team will clearly match so other teams are going to be reluctant to make an offer.

prodigy
10-26-2015, 04:49 AM

That's ur opinion. Cavs are 12 deep easy of guys who should see a lot of mins. They just need to stay healthy. which the depth should help with that.

I mean the Warriors almost lost to 1 guy in the finals lol.

prodigy
10-26-2015, 04:56 AM
no other team in the league would pay him what the cavs did and didn't ....

this is a unique situation driven by two things

1. Gilbert's willingness to go all in on the LT
2. Thompson having the same agent as Lebron

No other team bid for him because they wouldn't pay him such an assinine amount

Well every team knew cavs would match so it was pointless. Plus I think even Thompson would agree he is highly over paid and not worth that much. BUT when the cap goes up this contract won't look as bad. still bad but not as bad lol.

Scoots
10-26-2015, 11:17 AM
That's ur opinion. Cavs are 12 deep easy of guys who should see a lot of mins. They just need to stay healthy. which the depth should help with that.

I mean the Warriors almost lost to 1 guy in the finals lol.

I don't think I'll ever understand how the Cavs winning half the games they needed to win to win the title is "almost winning"? They made it half way.

At any rate, the Cavs are VERY deep, but I don't think anybody knows how that depth will play together yet. It will be interesting to see how Blatt does this year too.