PDA

View Full Version : Buss to Magic for criticizing him: My dad made you a billionaire

JasonJohnHorn
10-20-2015, 05:22 PM
Here's the link: http://prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/ExternalArticle?articleId=378486

DUMBEST argument I've ever heard.

First.. Buss, your dad didn't make Magic a billionaire, he made YOU a billionaire.

Magic is not even a billionaire, and the money he has, he EARNED. In fact, he helped make your Dad a billionaire. Not the other way around. Without Magic, there IS no Showtime Lakers.

And this sense of entitlement that Magic is not allowed to be objective about Buss because Buss's dad and Magic were business associates is ridiculous. Just because his dad got $#!T done, doesn't mean Buss get a free pass. He's got to earn this.

This was just asinine. Was anybody else upset upon reading this? This is the kind of $#!T I'd expect to hear from Donald Sterling.

EDIT: Just re-reading this. Don't mean to make it sound like I'm not giving Dr. Buss credit; he is a self made man and was great at what he did. He and Magic were both legends, and really fed off each other. Buss Jr. though... SMH.

Vinylman
10-20-2015, 05:33 PM
agree with you 100%

There are idiots in the Lakers forum agreeing with Buss...

Pure ignorance on Buss's part once again

L8kers4life
10-20-2015, 05:59 PM
Here's the link: http://prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/ExternalArticle?articleId=378486

First.. Buss, your dad didn't make Magic a billionaire, he made YOU a billionaire.

Magic is not even a billionaire, and the money he has, he EARNED. In fact, he helped make your Dad a billionaire. Not the other way around. Without Magic, there IS no Showtime Lakers.

And this sense of entitlement that Magic is not allowed to be objective about Buss because Buss's dad and Magic were business associates is ridiculous. Just because he dad got $#!T done, doesn't mean Buss get a free pass. He's got to earn this.

This was just asinine. Was anybody else upset upon reading this? This is the kind of $#!T I'd expect to hear from Donald Sterling.

I agree 100 percent, Jim buss is so ignorant and self entitled it makes me sick. Get this bum as far from the Lakers as possible

Tony_Starks
10-20-2015, 06:05 PM
not like being the 8th best player ever and a great businessman had anything to do with it or anything...

nickdymez
10-20-2015, 06:22 PM

And this sense of entitlement that Magic is not allowed to be objective about Buss because Buss's dad and Magic were business associates is ridiculous. Just because he dad got $#!T done, doesn't mean Buss get a free pass. He's got to earn this.

Agree 100%

More-Than-Most
10-20-2015, 06:25 PM
Pretty stupid argument... Youd think these guys would have someone there to tell them not to make a rediculous argument like this and make themselves look like complete and utter *****... Magic is one of the top 10 players all time and is even a better businessman than he was a basketball player.

DarkKnight
10-20-2015, 06:29 PM
not like being the 8th best player ever and a great businessman had anything to do with it or anything...

I watched him play all of his years and I'd say he might be higher than 8th... I just thought he was that good

SportsFanatic10
10-20-2015, 08:08 PM
I watched him play all of his years and I'd say he might be higher than 8th... I just thought he was that good

You're right, Magic is better than that...I find it hilarious that Buss talks about the greatest Laker ever this way right now.

Hawkeye15
10-21-2015, 01:37 PM

And this sense of entitlement that Magic is not allowed to be objective about Buss because Buss's dad and Magic were business associates is ridiculous. Just because his dad got $#!T done, doesn't mean Buss get a free pass. He's got to earn this.

EDIT: Just re-reading this. Don't mean to make it sound like I'm not giving Dr. Buss credit; he is a self made man and was great at what he did. He and Magic were both legends, and really fed off each other. Buss Jr. though... SMH.

yeah you kinda nailed it.

Magic would have made any owner a ton of money. He was the one with the necessary talents in the business model here. Without awesome basketball players, there would be no NBA....

8kobe24
10-21-2015, 03:47 PM
We simply call him jimbaco... nuff said

Tony_Starks
10-21-2015, 04:42 PM
It's pretty scary that somebody running the organization is that delusional. He let his bitter jealousy of Magics relationship with his Dad cloud his judgement.

Just like he let his dislike for Phil run him off and enter the cotdamn DAntoni era.

Enough of Jimmy already, get little sister up in here!

_KB24_
10-21-2015, 04:45 PM
To put in context, Magic has been the most vocal critic of Jim these past few years and been going at him pretty hard. I just see it as a response, however poor in taste it may be. Magic admits himself how much Dr. Buss did for him personally outside of basketball going as far as saying there would be no "Magic" if it weren't for him.

nickdymez
10-21-2015, 05:07 PM
To put in context, Magic has been the most vocal critic of Jim these past few years and been going at him pretty hard. I just see it as a response, however poor in taste it may be. Magic admits himself how much Dr. Buss did for him personally outside of basketball going as far as saying there would be no "Magic" if it weren't for him.

Exactly. I think a lot of magic's criticisms are more so him being frustrated with the direction of the franchise, in particular some of Jim's decisions. Ironically, Jim pretty much said that in his response without completing the thought.

Tony_Starks
10-21-2015, 05:54 PM

That's true but Magic has never made it personal, he's criticized his decisions...as well he should. He's made some colossal blunders, if anybody has a right to call him on it its Magic.

Magics response to this pretty much sums it up perfectly:

"Its all about winning Jim."

Scoots
10-21-2015, 08:07 PM
Casual fans blame D'Antoni for a lot of what's happened but he was never given a chance to succeed. So many bad decisions in that organization ... but they are still raking in the dough so no need to wake up yet.

Kevj77
10-21-2015, 08:39 PM
Casual fans blame D'Antoni for a lot of what's happened but he was never given a chance to succeed. So many bad decisions in that organization ... but they are still raking in the dough so no need to wake up yet.D'Antoni was a terrible hire by Buss. Jim wanted to go back to showtime. The only player the Lakers had that fit his system was a broken down Nash. He ran Kobe into the ground. Howard hated his system. He tried to turn Pau into a stretch four shooting threes.

JasonJohnHorn
10-21-2015, 09:46 PM
I think the issue is that Buss has an ego issue. He didn't want his sister and PJax to get credit for success, so he went a different way, and as a result alienated Howard, and now the team is floundering.

FlashBolt
10-21-2015, 10:09 PM
This is sad... Magic seems like a very nice guy who is fair in criticism. Buss needs to dig his head out of his *** and realize that he is a nobody without his father's name. Magic has earned his name in the history books. You can probably tell by now that Buss is insecure for bringing up something that has nothing to do with what Magic has said.

Tony_Starks
10-22-2015, 06:50 PM
Casual fans blame D'Antoni for a lot of what's happened but he was never given a chance to succeed. So many bad decisions in that organization ... but they are still raking in the dough so no need to wake up yet.D'Antoni was a terrible hire by Buss. Jim wanted to go back to showtime. The only player the Lakers had that fit his system was a broken down Nash. He ran Kobe into the ground. Howard hated his system. He tried to turn Pau into a stretch four shooting threes.

The fact that Jim thought that he could recreate Showtime with Kobe/Nash/Gasol/ Metta on the wrong side of 30 and recovering from back surgery Dwight really tells you all you need to know about his basketball expertise....

mrblisterdundee
10-22-2015, 07:20 PM
I guess all you Laker fans have to hope your team sucks through at least 2017, the self-imposed deadline for Jim Buss to step down if he realizes he sucks at his dad's job. I hope he stays forever. Nepotism is funny when it happens to your enemy.

SteBO
10-23-2015, 06:54 AM
Listened to an interview with Jeannie Buss on SAS' radio show....she said his brothers' aware of how much time he has, so if Lakers ineptitude goes on much longer he'll be gone. He just doesn't understand that the allure of LA and the organization isn't enough anymore....it's gotta compete and win games. And going after Magic isn't winning you any popularity contests around those parts......

Vinylman
10-24-2015, 01:30 PM
Casual fans blame D'Antoni for a lot of what's happened but he was never given a chance to succeed. So many bad decisions in that organization ... but they are still raking in the dough so no need to wake up yet.

You are right ... the biggest mistake was hiring Dandummy whose philosophy could never work with the roster the Lakers had in place.