PDA

View Full Version : NBA Redraft Playoffs (Semis): Amherst vs Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllant

Shammyguy3
10-20-2015, 01:30 PM
Once again, users from the main NBA forum and subsequent team forums partook in a fantasy, snake redraft. There are two conferences, 28 teams total. The top-8 teams made the playoffs. Playoff rankings were voted on by users partaking in the game, and now the playoff matchups are to be voted on by all of YOU users in the this here forum. Please, vote for whichever team you think would win in a 7-game matchup and please put it in the poll (if you are unable, give me a shout out to add your vote to the poll). All players are considered 100% healthy, although we must take into account our own thoughts on exactly what 100% health means for certain players at these stages in their respective careers. So, go ahead and vote!

1. Amherst (Home-Court)
PG: Patrick Beverley | Trey Burke
SG: Wes Matthews | Evan Turner
SF: LeBron James | Luc Mbah a Moute
PF: Thaddeus Young | Cody Zeller
C: Hassan Whiteside | Tyler Zeller

4. Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch
C - Robin Lopez (29), Alexis Ajinca (14), Amir Johnson (5)
PF - Donatas Motiejunas(29), Amir Johnson (19)
SF - Andrew Wiggins (18), PJ Tucker (30)
SG - Avery Bradley (32), Andrew Wiggins (16), Marcus Thornton (0)
PG - Russell Westbrook (36), Greivis Vasquez (12)

Redrum187
10-20-2015, 02:49 PM
I'm leaning towards Amherst. Both teams are incredibly flawed and rely upon 1 player to be the work horse offensively.

Questions for both GM's

1.) Who wins the Center position match up (Whiteside or Lopez)? Why?

2.) Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch has elite wing defenders to throw at LeBron. What do you expect LeBron's points per game will be and on what kind of efficiency?

3.) Both of your Power Forwards suck and I have no idea why either of you drafted them when you did. Which ****y Power Forward is not as *****y as the other? Why?

4.) Beverly will be guarding Westbrook. How effective do you think he'll be?

Lakers + Giants
10-20-2015, 04:18 PM
Amherst easily.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-20-2015, 04:30 PM
I think we should all vote for Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch.

Whiteside is completely unproven and there's no way to indicate he can replicate his performance next year. Matthews is gone for like half the season and no indication he'll come back the same player. Combine that with a lack of a bench and you're relying on Lebron essentially.

I like how Llanfair has elite defenders who can make it hard for Lebron's teammates and essentially shut all of them down and we all saw how the Cavs performed when Lebron had no help whatsoever. Not to mention how average Amherst's interior defense is.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-20-2015, 04:33 PM
I'm leaning towards Amherst. Both teams are incredibly flawed and rely upon 1 player to be the work horse offensively.

Questions for both GM's

2.) Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch has elite wing defenders to throw at LeBron. What do you expect LeBron's points per game will be and on what kind of efficiency?

3.) Both of your Power Forwards suck and I have no idea why either of you drafted them when you did. Which ****y Power Forward is not as *****y as the other? Why?

1. Lopez. He's the better defender and he doesn't rely as much offensively on other players as Whiteside does.

2. High 20s with low 40 FG%. Lebron isn't going to score all the points and we have more than enough elite defenders to shut down their other guys, none of whom can actually create on their own.

3. Donatas doesn't suck lol.

4. Westbrook will be more than fine.

Shammyguy3
10-20-2015, 04:38 PM
While I'd like to vote for inaudible here, their spacing is terrible

Redrum187
10-20-2015, 04:43 PM
1. Lopez. He's the better defender and he doesn't rely as much offensively on other players as Whiteside does.

2. High 20s with low 40 FG%. Lebron isn't going to score all the points and we have more than enough elite defenders to shut down their other guys, none of whom can actually create on their own.

3. Donatas doesn't suck lol.

4. Westbrook will be more than fine.

1.) True, Lopez is the superior defender. However, Whiteside is better offensively and on the boards. Neither have great post-season resumes though (is it better to have a crappy resume or a non-existent resume?). I guess I'd agree Lopez has the edge due to his rim-protecting abilities.

2.) You brought up a good point that was also brought up in Amherst's round 1. No one on their team, other than LeBron can create their own shot or create for others. LeBron is going to have a Westbrook-like usage in this series. I don't think people realize how big of an issue it is to not have players who help their teammates score.

3.) He plays less than 30 minutes a game and puts up underwhelming stats. I'm looking at Young and Donatas' stats from last season, they are virtually identical. I guess it doesn't matter that they both suck. This becomes a wash.

4.) What do you think Westbrook would produce? Better stats than LeBron in this matchup?

Raps18-19 Champ
10-20-2015, 05:20 PM
While I'd like to vote for inaudible here, their spacing is terrible

Avery, Tucker and Donatas are solid 3 point shooters. Wiggins is a good shooter as well (we should see it after this season when he gets more reps).

Wiggins(3FG% of 36% off catch and shoot), Montie (3FG% of 39% off catch and shoot), Tucker (3FG% of 36% off catch and shoot and Bradley (3FG% of 38% off catch and shoot), all of whom should receive plenty of open looks in a fast paced offense with Westbrook going down the lane along with Amir (one of the best screen setters in the league) setting picks for them to get open (Bradley ranks 5th in PPP at 0.99 among all players with min 50 GP and 100 FGA coming off screens while Wiggins not too far behind at 0.89)

Raps18-19 Champ
10-20-2015, 05:28 PM
1.) True, Lopez is the superior defender. However, Whiteside is better offensively and on the boards. Neither have great post-season resumes though (is it better to have a crappy resume or a non-existent resume?). I guess I'd agree Lopez has the edge due to his rim-protecting abilities.

2.) You brought up a good point that was also brought up in Amherst's round 1. No one on their team, other than LeBron can create their own shot or create for others. LeBron is going to have a Westbrook-like usage in this series. I don't think people realize how big of an issue it is to not have players who help their teammates score.

3.) He plays less than 30 minutes a game and puts up underwhelming stats. I'm looking at Young and Donatas' stats from last season, they are virtually identical. I guess it doesn't matter that they both suck. This becomes a wash.

4.) What do you think Westbrook would produce? Better stats than LeBron in this matchup?

1. I know Whiteside is better offensively, but he relies so much on being set up offensively though. The boards Whiteside has advantage in but I don't think we'd overly struggle to be outrebounded. His he gets an offensive rebound, we have Lopez to hopefully limit him for an offensive scoring opportunity. And he has like 8 assists all year so he's essentially terrible at passing it to the guy in the perimeter.

2. It could be NBA finals all over again. I might be high on Wiggins but I think he's more than a sloid enough offensive player to create some of his own offense, something Matthews might not be able to do. And it's not like we're giving LEbron an open lane too. We would have elite defenders on him between Wiggins and Tucker.

3. He's the 4th/5th option who provides spacing (which he does) for a slashing Westbrook and he's really good in the post. Among all players in the league last year who played 50 games and have 100 FGA in post up plays, Donatas ranks 1st in FG% at 53.4% and 3rd in PPP at 0.98 (1st is Jonas Valanciunas at 1.02 so he's not too far behind). If not Donatas, we have Amir who is an extremely efficient scorer inside and we have the personnel to set him up inside (57% last year). Amir is one of the best at cutting to the rim, ranking 4th in FG% at 59% (among all players with 100 FGA in cuts while playing 50 games). As a roll man, Amir also ranks 6th among all players with +50 games and +100 FGA in PPP at 1.16 and and in FG% at 57%.

4. I think comparable to what he averaged last year when Durant was out and adjusted for playoff intensity. I don't think he'd get shut down or his efficiency will be drastically affected if that's what you're asking. Stats not comparable to Lebron most likely but that's not what we're aiming for since we plan to try and shut down everyone else on their team (very possible since we have more than enough defenders to stop Matthew/Young).

xnick5757
10-20-2015, 05:44 PM

Questions for both GM's

just briefly (ill come back to address the others later)

Whiteside is going the kill the boards. He's going to get 20 rebounds a game against Lopez/Motiejunas.

While my team doesn't really have a primary ball handler outside of LeBron, my two perimeter guys will create space for him on offense. Llan has some good defenders, but they can't exactly sag off of Bev/Matthews to help on LeBron:

Bev: 36% 3PT
Matthews: 39%

When he was on Brooklyn last year Thad shot 38% from deep, too.

Not that anyone can slow Westy completely, but Beverley is a top tier defender at the PG position.

KnicksorBust
10-21-2015, 07:41 AM
I actually agree that the team with the ridiculous names has some huge flaws but I just feel like it was much better constructed than Amherst. I'm going to place my vote on the fact that I completely buy into Andrew Wiggins and that swings the series. Whiteside won't eat the glass because Lopez boxes out. Thad young can't shoot. I don't buy Wes coming back as the same player and Bev is good role player but you need more than that to make a conference finals. Westbrook is a horse and this team allows him to go 100. Wiggins/Bradley/Tucker can shoot. Vasquez and Wiggins can handle the ball when necessary much better than Evan Turner/Bev. I'm going with long name.

mightybosstone
10-21-2015, 09:52 AM
I love that this matchup essentially boils down to Lebron + defensive role players versus Westy + defensive role players. But if we learned anything last season, it's that Lebron is a hell of a lot better in that scenario than Westbrook was. He pushed a team with zero All-Star caliber players (after the Love and Irving injuries) to a very tight Finals series against arguably the best team of the past decade. Meanwhile, Westy couldn't make the playoffs and was putting up some pretty inefficient numbers all season long.

Plus, I just like Lebron's supporting cast better. Even if Matthews comes back at 80% what he was last season, I trust him more than I trust Wiggins at this point in their careers. Also, the wildcard here that I haven't seen anybody discuss is that NOBODY gets under Westbrook's skin better than Beverley. He's Westy's kryptonite. And sure, it may push Westbrook to a couple of 40-point games and a couple of wins, but it's also going to push him to make a lot of mistakes, take poor shots and give up a lot of turnovers. Whiteside is another interesting piece here. I'm not sure what to make of him yet, but I certainly think he's got a chance to be a bigger impact player in this series than Robin Lopez. I like Westbrook's bench slightly more, but not substantially so.

But the bottom line is that, regardless of which supporting cast you prefer, Lebron is just far more comfortable and has been far more successful in this role than Westbrook has. He's played most of his career on teams like this, won MVPs and made Finals appearances. There's enough floor spacers, defenders and competent offensive guys around him on this squad to win this series. Amherst in 6.

KnicksorBust
10-21-2015, 11:29 AM
I love that this matchup essentially boils down to Lebron + defensive role players versus Westy + defensive role players. But if we learned anything last season, it's that Lebron is a hell of a lot better in that scenario than Westbrook was. He pushed a team with zero All-Star caliber players (after the Love and Irving injuries) to a very tight Finals series against arguably the best team of the past decade. Meanwhile, Westy couldn't make the playoffs and was putting up some pretty inefficient numbers all season long.

Plus, I just like Lebron's supporting cast better. Even if Matthews comes back at 80% what he was last season, I trust him more than I trust Wiggins at this point in their careers. Also, the wildcard here that I haven't seen anybody discuss is that NOBODY gets under Westbrook's skin better than Beverley. He's Westy's kryptonite. And sure, it may push Westbrook to a couple of 40-point games and a couple of wins, but it's also going to push him to make a lot of mistakes, take poor shots and give up a lot of turnovers. Whiteside is another interesting piece here. I'm not sure what to make of him yet, but I certainly think he's got a chance to be a bigger impact player in this series than Robin Lopez. I like Westbrook's bench slightly more, but not substantially so.

But the bottom line is that, regardless of which supporting cast you prefer, Lebron is just far more comfortable and has been far more successful in this role than Westbrook has. He's played most of his career on teams like this, won MVPs and made Finals appearances. There's enough floor spacers, defenders and competent offensive guys around him on this squad to win this series. Amherst in 6.

You are going to look pretty silly in 2 months giving Matthews the edge over Wiggins.

SMH!
10-21-2015, 12:04 PM
never actually look at the lineups, always pick the cool team names

Raps18-19 Champ
10-21-2015, 12:06 PM
never actually look at the lineups, always pick the cool team names

So I'm going to count this as a vote.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-21-2015, 01:01 PM

Beverley's a ***** *****.

mightybosstone
10-21-2015, 07:50 PM
You are going to look pretty silly in 2 months giving Matthews the edge over Wiggins.

Maybe I will. But this is a hypothetical postseason series, not a hypothetical "who would you rather have for the next 10 years?" conversation. Give me the hyper efficient 29-year-old borderline All-Star coming off an injury in the playoffs over an extremely inefficient 20-year-old kid with sky high potential playing in his first postseason series.

That brings up another point about that squad I don't like. That GM paired an inefficient, ball dominant volume scoring superstar with no reliable 3-point shot with a No. 2 that is an inefficient volume scorer with no reliable 3-point shot. That's just a poorly constructed starting five. And Bradley was even more inefficient than Westy and Wiggins last season. Also, the floor spacing from those three will be atrocious. I'm not buying the 35% Bradley as some excellent 3-point shooter that will save that offense. Hell, Motiejunas is clearly that squad's best 3-point shooter and he makes less than one per game. That's a recipe for disaster.

I just don't understand why anyone would suggest that team is better constructed. Where's the justification for that side of the argument?

mightybosstone
10-21-2015, 07:54 PM
Beverley's a ***** *****.

Beverley's the role player you loathe to play against, but you absolutely love when he's on your team. He's average to below average at pretty much every single aspect of the game of basketball as an NBA player, but he makes up for it in his tenacity and by just being obnoxious defensively when he's on the floor. Also, he's just a great locker room guy. He gets along with everybody and brings energy to everything he does. Every team should be so lucky as to have a Patrick Beverley.

(Source: Rockets fan)

Raps18-19 Champ
10-21-2015, 09:56 PM
Maybe I will. But this is a hypothetical postseason series, not a hypothetical "who would you rather have for the next 10 years?" conversation. Give me the hyper efficient 29-year-old borderline All-Star coming off an injury in the playoffs over an extremely inefficient 20-year-old kid with sky high potential playing in his first postseason series.

That brings up another point about that squad I don't like. That GM paired an inefficient, ball dominant volume scoring superstar with no reliable 3-point shot with a No. 2 that is an inefficient volume scorer with no reliable 3-point shot. That's just a poorly constructed starting five. And Bradley was even more inefficient than Westy and Wiggins last season. Also, the floor spacing from those three will be atrocious. I'm not buying the 35% Bradley as some excellent 3-point shooter that will save that offense. Hell, Motiejunas is clearly that squad's best 3-point shooter and he makes less than one per game. That's a recipe for disaster.

I just don't understand why anyone would suggest that team is better constructed. Where's the justification for that side of the argument?

I think Bradley averages 1.5 3FGM the past 2 years on 37% shooter. Tucker is in a similar boat at 1 3FGM at 37%. The adjustment for Wiggins being a good 3 point shooter next year is pretty obvious as well. That GM did more than a good enough job spacing the floor out for Westbrook.

mightybosstone
10-21-2015, 11:23 PM
I think Bradley averages 1.5 3FGM the past 2 years on 37% shooter. Tucker is in a similar boat at 1 3FGM at 37%. The adjustment for Wiggins being a good 3 point shooter next year is pretty obvious as well. That GM did more than a good enough job spacing the floor out for Westbrook.

Conveniently including a two-year sample size for Bradley, bringing up a bench player and hypothetical inprovement for a 20-year-old sophomore that shot 31% last year doesn't convince me. You can put lipstick on a pig...

Raps18-19 Champ
10-22-2015, 12:19 AM
There's really no point then if we're dismissing a 2 year fairly respectable sample but we're going to praise 48 game Whiteside or a above average role player who has a major injuries.