PDA

View Full Version : SOMEBODY has to lose

CousinsEvansDUO
10-20-2015, 02:37 AM
I just wanted to bring up how absolutely ridiculous it is that every single team(except 1 or 2) in the NBA is acting like they are improved and will have a better record.

Hello people..wake up!

Open your eyes!

There are only so many games to go around, and only a certain amount of wins to go around.

When one team wins, one team loses. It works in counteract. So let's stop pretending like the Jazz, Suns, Magic, Twolves, Lakers, Pistons, nuggets, Knicks and many other weak teams are going to drastically improve.

In my opinion only several teams will DRASTICALLY improve their win count and that is the Kings, for literally transforming one of the worst most dysfunctional rosters in the league, to one of the most talented, cohesive, dominant teams of preseason.

Secondly, the heat.

That team healthy has 5 all stars in their starting lineup, and with Pat Riley being the secret coach it's bound to be a top 3 team in the east from missing last years playoffs.

What are your thoughts? Which team do you keep hearing will improve...when in fact it's talentless and mediocre at best?

Alayla
10-20-2015, 02:51 AM
Do you ever get sick of doing this? I miss the funny trolls someone bring back douglas!

LakersIn5
10-20-2015, 04:54 AM
I agree with the kings and heat pick

PhillyFaninLA
10-20-2015, 06:23 AM
Do you ever get sick of doing this? I miss the funny trolls someone bring back douglas!

Honestly, I believe this isn't him trolling. I've come to believe this is just who he is.

beasted86
10-20-2015, 09:52 AM
The HEAT might win 13 more games at max (won 37 last year, and I don't think this is better than a 50 win team).

I think outsiders are putting bigger expectations on Miami than its own fans are.

Anyway the losing teams that I don't think improve any (any = 6 win improvement or less) are:

Sixers, Hornets, Pistons, Wolves, Nuggets, Lakers.

beasted86
10-20-2015, 09:55 AM
But to touch on the Kings, they will probably improve to 38 or 39 wins but still miss the playoffs.

JasonJohnHorn
10-20-2015, 10:13 AM
If other teams fall, more teams can rise. You can conceivably see six or seven teams have drastic improvements in a season.

Also.... a 'drastic' improvement is contextual. The 76er's could add 20 wins and still suck, while a 54 win team adding 6 wins is a drastic improvement in my mind. It goes from second-round fodder to NBA champion (the Warriors saw that kind of change last year).

A 44 win team that jumps up to 50 in a tough conference like the SW is a drastic improvement as well, while a 15-win team getting 30 wins isn't a drastic improvement for all practical purposes.

Scoots
10-20-2015, 10:14 AM
Some of those wins for other teams will come from the Warriors. I think the Warriors should be a better team (2nd year with the coaching staff, title confidence, development of young players), but doubt they win more games.

The Kings are going to be a team to watch ... we just don't know if it will be good or bad.

2-ONE-5
10-20-2015, 10:21 AM
well lose every time we open one of your threads.

SteBO
10-20-2015, 10:34 AM
The HEAT might win 13 more games at max (won 37 last year, and I don't think this is better than a 50 win team).

I think outsiders are putting bigger expectations on Miami than its own fans are.

Anyway the losing teams that I don't think improve any (any = 6 win improvement or less) are:

Sixers, Hornets, Pistons, Wolves, Nuggets, Lakers.
It's probably because of who we have. When healthy people are looking at us as a team that can absolutely challenge a healthy Cleveland, but this is still a pretty flawed roster. The Heats defense and rebounding essentially hinges on one guy and his FT shooting can be so bad we likely won't see him in crunch time.

Anyway, it's not often you see teams make huge leaps from year to year. The most recent example I've seen is OKC, and even that happened over a span of 3-4 years. The best example I've witnessed was the 32 game improvement the Heat showed from the '07-'08 season to the season that followed. Hell, Boston was bad the year before they got Ray Allen and KG.

Pierzynski4Prez
10-20-2015, 10:59 AM
But to touch on the Kings, they will probably improve to 38 or 39 wins but still miss the playoffs.

As a Bulls fan, I would absolutely love this. 38 wins keeps them outside of the top 10 giving the Bulls their pick, and it would still fall in the top 15.

colinskik
10-20-2015, 11:15 AM
Riiiigggghhhttt. But the Kings will drastically improve.

I don't put too much stock into the preseason, but:

Kings 5-1
Knicks 4-1

Cavs 1-6

Back down.

Vee-Rex
10-20-2015, 11:44 AM
Kings will be interesting for sure. I hope they do really well. I'm a fan of Cousins and would like to see him get more recognition for his play.

Scoots
10-20-2015, 02:07 PM
Anyway, it's not often you see teams make huge leaps from year to year. The most recent example I've seen is OKC, and even that happened over a span of 3-4 years.

The Warriors improved 16 games last year. It's no kind of record, but considering that they didn't do it by adding talent or getting particularly healthier (Like the Spurs did with Robinson and Duncan) it was a surprising improvement and more than the 13 games mentioned for the Heat.

If the Heat can be truly healthy they will have to have the vets on a pretty heavy minute restriction and that will likely lead to some losses. But the starting 5 have the potential to dominate games.

xxplayerxx23
10-20-2015, 03:14 PM
Knicks will have the biggest win total from last year to this year. Not saying much when all they need is 17 wins to get to 34 lol it's pretty awful. I do like the kings and heat pick to improve big time too. I like the lakers to get to 30-32 wins this year not sure how much that is.

SportsFanatic10
10-20-2015, 08:31 PM
I love how the guy that's ALWAYS WAY TOO OPTIMISTIC ABOUT HIS OWN TEAM is telling other fans not to be optimistic about their teams.

Scoots
10-20-2015, 09:58 PM
I love how the guy that's ALWAYS WAY TOO OPTIMISTIC ABOUT HIS OWN TEAM is telling other fans not to be optimistic about their teams.

Well, with the Kings winning against all those other teams the other teams losses are going to pile up. :)

WaDe03
10-20-2015, 10:00 PM
The Heat are going to win 82 games.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-21-2015, 01:33 AM

So Wade's out for the season?

IndyRealist
10-21-2015, 08:32 AM
So a zero sum game? Is this a new revelation?

All this shows is that the marketing dept is doing a good job hyping up the season, and that fans are really bad at evaluating basketball.

ballallday
10-21-2015, 09:11 AM
Riiiigggghhhttt. But the Kings will drastically improve.

I don't put too much stock into the preseason, but:

Kings 5-1
Knicks 4-1

Cavs 1-6

Back down.

As a raptor fan especially when i was younger i watched every game, preseason included. I always got excited at the start of the season when they had a big preseason but that was usually followed by a terrible regular season. Teams that do well in the regular season are the teams that play there bench during preseason and rest there best players... so yes no reason to get excited when you see 5-1 means nothing, its exhibition games no one cares or should.

imo knicks will be terrible, kings will miss playoffs. Rondo has proven nothing since big three left. Mia will make the playoffs but i don't think they will do damage in the playoffs

Scoots
10-21-2015, 10:18 AM

... eventually. :)

MonroeFAN
10-21-2015, 12:23 PM
The Pistons will be better than the kings in every imaginable way.

WaDe03
10-21-2015, 01:58 PM
So Wade's out for the season?

No just going to outplay everyone on your favorite team.

NYCkid12
10-21-2015, 02:28 PM
LOL Kings aren't going to sniff the playoffs

Raps18-19 Champ
10-21-2015, 02:42 PM
No just going to outplay everyone on your favorite team.

You play my team like twice.

WaDe03
10-21-2015, 03:51 PM
You play my team like twice.

I mean for the whole season he will outplay everyone on your team.

Yanks All Day
10-21-2015, 04:37 PM
Looking at things realistically:

East - Cleveland, Chicago, Indiana, Miami, New York, Milwaukee. Cleveland, Miami, Chicago, and Indiana get big players healthy and/or have another year of continuity together. They're teams with actual star players. Stars win in the NBA. I think the Knicks added some nice players, drafted a big guy with potential, and get Carmelo Anthony healthy. It's not inconceivable to see them jump to 41-41 from a 17- 65 season in the East. The Bucks are an interesting team to watch. They're well-coached, young, long, and athletic, and not only got Greg Monroe, but get Jabari Parker back for a full season. They could be a 50+ win team waiting to happen. The East has room to grow and fluctuate.

Atlanta had everything go right in the regular season and lost Demarre Carroll, so they're due for a drop. Toronto and Washington are talented, but limited. Boston and Orlando are young and lack a super star. No one else really made a big splash or has a star in waiting.

West - San Antonio and Oklahoma City. The Spurs added the best player in free agency to an already great team and Oklahoma City gets (presumably) a healthy squad.

The West is stacked 1-8/9. Phoneix, Denver, Sacramento, Lakers, etc. didn't add anyone of real value. The T-Wolves are young. Lacking superstar talent and playing in a stacked conference doesn't bode well for teams wanting to increase in wins. Maybe Golden State drops a bit because 67 wins would be difficult to repeat, but they're the same team with an improving core. If they drop from 1 to 3/4, that's still probably 56-60 wins in the West. The great teams are locked in and the bad/decent teams didn't improve THAT much. The West isn't going to move a lot.

Hawkeye15
10-21-2015, 06:49 PM
well lose every time we open one of your threads.

this

Hawkeye15
10-21-2015, 06:52 PM
Wolves went 6-2 and were killing team in 08-09' preseason. They finished 24-58.

I am amazed anyone reads into anything preseason at this point

Raps18-19 Champ
10-21-2015, 07:13 PM
I mean for the whole season he will outplay everyone on your team.

Well it's not hard to outplay the 76ers.