PDA

View Full Version : Will LBJ Break the record for most consecutive 20+ point seasons?

JasonJohnHorn
10-17-2015, 01:49 PM
A LeBron James started his first season, Karl Malone had just tied Kareem's record for most consecutive seasons with a scoring average of 20 points or more. That year, LBJ posted just over 20 points a game at the ripe age of 19, four years younger than Malone was during his first 20+ points season, and three years younger than Kareem was during his first 20+ points season.

Up until now, James has averaged more than 20 points for the past 12 seasons, meaning that he is five seasons short of the record, and 6 season short of breaking it. The other likely candidate for this record was Kobe Bryant, but an injury plagued season in 2013/14 broke his 20+ streak at 14 seasons.

At 30 years of age, LBJ will have to keep up an All-Star level of play until the age of 36 to break this record, at at least keep it up until 35 to tied this record. The question, then: Will he tie or break the record, and if he sets a new record, how high will he raise the bar? 18 seasons? 19? 20?

What do you think?

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-17-2015, 01:58 PM
Be interesting to see. But staying at a high level into mid 30's is a feat all on it's own. As well as staying healthy when getting older and slower.

nastynice
10-17-2015, 03:44 PM
I think it'll be tough for him, not because I don't think he's capable, but because I feel he will kind of slowly become more and more of a creator than a scorer. He's already got Irving, they'll probably dump Love sometime soon but I think they'll replace him with another allstar/superstar level certified scorer (for some reason or another it seems lebron keeps thinking 3 is the magic number). The fact that a player who isn't even necessarily a scorer has accomplished so much scoring wise, is already amazing in of itself.

Tony_Starks
10-17-2015, 04:05 PM
Hard to say. As his body starts to give and he can no longer freight train to the basket his scoring dropoff might be pretty steep.

The only way I can see it is if he perfects his post game and face up mid-range game ala MJ and Kobe.

Very possible but at this juncture in a players career you kind of are who you are......

slashsnake
10-17-2015, 06:20 PM
Hard to say. As his body starts to give and he can no longer freight train to the basket his scoring dropoff might be pretty steep.

The only way I can see it is if he perfects his post game and face up mid-range game ala MJ and Kobe.

Very possible but at this juncture in a players career you kind of are who you are......

I kinda agree here, but MJ, while he did improve his midrange earlier, his post up really came after his comeback. He talked about that and working on it while playing baseball and shooting space jam, how he felt he needed to change his game.

Lebron does have a nice advantage with his size, strength and speed which barring a debilitating injury seems like it could make him a tough matchup for a while to come.

Another benefit is the speed of today's game. Teams average about 5 points a game more now. More 3pt shots and Lebron averaging 38% from there the past 4 years also is a nice benefit.

But going against him is his lack of "old man game" so far. Melo seems to have that kind where he doesn't need the speed, agility etc to put up 20. Also his own choices as said before, I think it could be likely there will be a season he averages 18 a game when he could have averaged 20+ if he wanted to.

I'd say with his playoffs he'd be more likely to be the one with the most 20+ point games. 382 to go there. With him averaging 90+ a year (playoffs included), that could be more realistic... about 4 straight years, so if he did it 2/3 of the time we'd be looking at a tad over 6 more years for that (vs. 8 more to break the 20 pt season record). Last year he did that 80% of the games he played in.

HoopsDrive
10-18-2015, 01:10 AM
Tie or beat by 1 season

I think at some point after 34yo he'll go 1-2 points under 20. If I had to bet, I think he ties.

FlashBolt
10-18-2015, 03:26 AM
It probably won't happen. KD should be on the list too btw. That's a crazy achievement though.

Jagged QT
10-18-2015, 07:55 AM
Lebron might get it, but it wont mean the same. Malone and Kareem werent the primary ball handler nor playmakers on their team, and still were able to accomplishe such feat. Also those guys were ironmen on the court barely missed any time (KAJ did I'm aware). Malone played 13 straight years of 80+ games and had a couple more when he was nearly 40 years old.

It's a nice feat if he gets it, but it wont be the same.

nycericanguy
10-18-2015, 11:46 AM
Lebron might get it, but it wont mean the same. Malone and Kareem werent the primary ball handler nor playmakers on their team, and still were able to accomplishe such feat. Also those guys were ironmen on the court barely missed any time (KAJ did I'm aware). Malone played 13 straight years of 80+ games and had a couple more when he was nearly 40 years old.

agreed... players today are coddled much more. Not only do they get random "rest days", and play fewer minutes, but there is also much less physicality in today's game.

MJ for instance even at age 40 played all 82 games and 37mpg. That would never happen today, not even for a 35 year old.

Lebron's minutes and games played are likely keep going down going forward.

JasonJohnHorn
10-18-2015, 02:56 PM

I agree that it wouldn't be the same, but for a different reason.

Though not the primary ball handlers, both Malone and KAJ WERE the first option offensively in each of their 20+ points season except for Kareem's last two, where he was the second option.

The reason I think it would be different is because Kareem played 4 years in college, so LBJ is essentially getting a 4 year head start on Kareem. Malone likewise played in college a couple years, but he wouldn't have been ready to score 20+ at 18, where I think Kareem would have been, given that he was so dominant in college and broke out in the NBA at an MVP level as a rookie.

Kareem started at 23 or 24 and strung together 17 years, meaning he kept that play up until 38? If LBJ does it, he only has to keep that level of play up until 35 or 36. If Kareem had been allowed to enter the NBA at 18, he'd of had 20 straight seasons at 20+.

Though Kareem also played when the tempo was faster.

Still, if LBJ gets it, it will be EXTREMELY impressive.

JasonJohnHorn
10-18-2015, 03:00 PM
It probably won't happen. KD should be on the list too btw. That's a crazy achievement though.

Great point! I was going to include KD, but LBJ is only 5 seasons away from tying the record. KD is still a decade away, and a LOT can happen in a decade (T-Mac and Kobe are both great examples).

KD definitely has the skill set to do this and I'll be pulling for both him and James to chase after this record.

Kashmir13579
10-19-2015, 12:55 AM
Epic.

8kobe24
10-19-2015, 01:18 PM

He has back problems and cramps up a lot. I doubt he likes being in the post banging and shooting fade aways. He should just keep working on that pull up 3 ball lol.

Chronz
10-19-2015, 02:50 PM
Kobe has had back problems before. Cramps haven't prevented Bron from being one of the better post options in the game. Maybe because they aren't An every game occurrence. Besides you can combat cramps. Step your hate game up

8kobe24
10-19-2015, 03:46 PM
Kobe has had back problems before. Cramps haven't prevented Bron from being one of the better post options in the game. Maybe because they aren't An every game occurrence. Besides you can combat cramps. Step your hate game up

stop baiting. no one i hating on your fave player. i think lebron can be a good shooter. seriously.

Chronz
10-20-2015, 01:19 AM
stop baiting. no one i hating on your fave player. i think lebron can be a good shooter. seriously.

Wat does tmac have to do with this

8kobe24
10-20-2015, 12:04 PM
Wat does tmac have to do with this

lol... you are correct.