PDA

View Full Version : NBA Redraft Playoffs (Round 1): Boca vs Carolina

Shammyguy3
10-14-2015, 11:40 AM
Once again, users from the main NBA forum and subsequent team forums partook in a fantasy, snake redraft. There are two conferences, 28 teams total. The top-8 teams made the playoffs. Playoff rankings were voted on by users partaking in the game, and now the playoff matchups are to be voted on by all of YOU users in the this here forum. Please, vote for whichever team you think would win in a 7-game matchup and please put it in the poll (if you are unable, give me a shout out to add your vote to the poll). All players are considered 100% healthy, although we must take into account our own thoughts on exactly what 100% health means for certain players at these stages in their respective careers. So, go ahead and vote!

2. Boca (home-court)
PG: Eric Bledsoe (37)/Mario Chalmers (11)
SG: Gordon Hayward (22)/Marco Bellinelli (16)
SF: Luol Deng (32)/Gordon Hayward (16)
PF: Greg Monroe (16)/Josh McRoberts (28)/Tyler Hansbrough (4)
C: Timofey Mozgov (30)/Greg Monroe (18)

7. Carolina
Pg: Ricky Rubio/Jose Calderon
Sg: Khris Middleton/CJ McCullum
Sf: Jimmy Buckets/Kent Bazemore
Pf: Ryan Anderson/KellyOlynk
C: Joakim Noah/Jusuf Nurik

xbrackattackx
10-14-2015, 12:09 PM
As Carolinas GM I would like to say congratulations to Baller for making the playoffs and the other teams as well.

In this match up, I'm gonna let Rubio do what he does best. Create for Buckets,Middleton and Anderson. And be the pesky defender he is on Bledsoe. I have Middleton on on Deng and Buckets on Hayward. Also can switch Middleton on Bledsoe and Bazemore on Deng. My defense should carry its on. With Anderson being a threeball threat I can pull Monroe out of the paint and let Noah/Nurkic bang with Mozzy. My defense and ability to stretch the floor should be in my favor. Also I have McCallum,Bazemore and Olynk who can score and defend on the bench as well. I feel everyone on Boca will have to work extra hard to score and wear themselves down.

On offense, we can drive and kick it. Or we can run the floor with Rubio,Middleton and Butler. My team plays into my players strength and if everyone looks for the extra pass and plays hard nose defense. I think I have the talent for a upset. Also all my players shoot pretty efficient.

Redrum187
10-14-2015, 04:45 PM
Joakim Noah has been so mediocre (due to injuries) that I don't know how to evaluate his talent in a scenario where we assume health. For all I know, what we see is what we get with Noah, injured or not.

Rubio is utter trash. He is a good defender and playmaker, but he has done absolutely nothing in the NBA.

Ryan Anderson is a good bench PF who I would not trust starting next to an already questionable Noah.

Boca fits like a glove. Although I'm not crazy about their frontcourt, their wings make them a complete team and I trust it a lot more than I do Carolina's frontcourt.

xbrackattackx
10-14-2015, 05:28 PM
Rubio is exactly what you said a good defender and passer. That's all I'm asking from him. As for not trusting Anderson/Noah. Anderson's numbers go up when he is in starting position. I know you are saying Duh. But his pct doesn't drop he is a consistent 15-18 ppg efficiency,one of the Best stretch bigs and a good rebounder. Noah is protecting the rim and has Nurkic and Olynk to help him out. Butler can literally shut Gordon down. If he can keep Lebron in check he can handle a still really good Hayward. With Hayward not scoring as much,Deng being a slower version of himself. (I mean if it goes for Noah it should for Deng) I think it's close. Also Monroe is gonna get his. But let's not act like Monroe is a juggernaut. If He is playing PF and is more fitted at Center. I can't see him coming out on Anderson every time. If they move Deng on Anderson. Butler or Middleton will not be in check. Also at anytime I can run with Noah and Nurik on the floor to double Monroe.

Mr. Baller
10-14-2015, 07:59 PM
Boca in 5.

Gander13SM
10-15-2015, 12:13 AM
Anderson is undervalued. Great stretch 4 that can get some boards. Middleton is the second most versatile defender in this league behind Dray, plus he can hit the three which is the perfect compliment next to Rubio. Butler is Butler. My biggest issue is Rubio doesn't have a big guy to dish too on the inside. Noah is a liability on offense and he was a DPOY not long ago, I'm really not sure what to make of him now. The lack of PnR options at the 4 and 5 bothers me.

I really like the starting 5 for Boca, solid two way players with the exception of Monroe. Only real issue is having Monroe trying to guard Anderson on the perimiter. Middleton/Butler is better than Hayward/Deng.

I'm a big Hayward fan. But I'm not convinced Hayward and Deng could play like their regular selves with Middleton and Butler defending them, those are two premier defenders.

I think Carolina has the better perimiter defense, Boca would have to rely a lot on Monroe, which against Anderson isn't a big deal. I don't see how having Jimmy and Khris playing off ball with one of the most creative passers in the league can lead to anything but gold but the defense of the bigs really worries me and the lack of inside scoring from them is an issue.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Carolina pull off the upset.

tredigs
10-15-2015, 01:06 AM
Wait Boca secured the 2 seed in this without a top 25 player or a particularly stout D? Pretty sub-par 3pt shooting from their starters as well. Plus Deng has really fallen off (and Monroe is a sieve defensively). I honestly don't think that team would be .500 if they were in the West. Are all the players available in this draft? I'm not saying he picked poorly, but surely a Lebron/KD/Curry/AD/Harden, etc squad was more stout than this? I'd take any 1 of them over any 2 players on this team.

edit: Looking at the other teams and thinking about it, it does make sense. You aren't going to be able to draft a team with Curry/Klay/Dray or Lebron/Kyrie/Love or KD/Westbrook or Harden/Howard, etc etc. Teams at the top are going to be weaker than in real life, and there would be a lot more parity overall.

mightybosstone
10-15-2015, 07:51 AM
I'm with Tredigs. I saw that squad was the 2-seed and did a double take. What in the hell did you guys do in the re-draft this year where a team without a single top 25 caliber player secured a 2 seed? I might need to come out of retirement next year to improve the quality of the PSD games. :pity:

Anyways, I'm actually kind of leaning toward Carolina right now. They have the best player in the series in Butler, an absolutely stifling perimeter defense from 1-3 and an interesting front court that should provide some interesting matchup problems. Noah may have taken a step back last season, but if Monroe and Mozgov are the worst he has to deal with, I'm not that concerns. It's worth noting in the Cleveland/Chicago series last year, Mozgov averaged only 8/7/2 on 37% shooting. Noah wasn't much better with a 5/10/2/1/1 on 33% shooting, but they pretty much cancel each other out.

I'm taking Carolina in seven. I trust Butler more than I trust Bledsoe or Hayward, I love Carolina's perimeter defense and I don't think Boca's front court advantage is that significant.

Shammyguy3
10-15-2015, 11:23 AM
I agree with some of your points MBT. However, the main thing in this series is who the heck is Noah guarding? if Noah is guarding Monroe on the low-post, he gets obliterated. If he's guarding Mozgov, then Ryno gets obliterated and Noah's help defense is non-existent.

The interior defense is pretty piss poor for Carolina.

Mr. Baller
10-15-2015, 11:55 AM
I agree with some of your points MBT. However, the main thing in this series is who the heck is Noah guarding? if Noah is guarding Monroe on the low-post, he gets obliterated. If he's guarding Mozgov, then Ryno gets obliterated and Noah's help defense is non-existent.

Wow some actual thought went into the series rather than "OOHHH BOCA HAS NO STARZZZZ, THEY LOSE"

xbrackattackx
10-15-2015, 11:56 AM

You gotta look at it for Boca as well, Is Monroe Guarding Ryno? Cause I can't see Monroe Canping on then Perimeter. And if he doesn't stay on Anderson he is gonna drain 3's all night. Monroe is 20 points at best. Mozzy is not a scoring threat. He avg. 10 points a game, last year against a unhealthy Noah. If Noah is healthy he can handle Mozzy. I also have Nurik and Olynk. Who are good young defender in their own right. Not arguing with your perspective just explaining how my team could win against Boca.

Shammyguy3
10-15-2015, 12:06 PM
Ryno does pose defensive problems for Monroe, but Boca doesn't even have to guard Noah. Jared ****ing Dudley locked him up like Stone Cold Steve Austin in the playoffs. Noah is a serious negative against starting caliber players. He needs to be a bench player unfortunately at this stage in his career.

I'm still not sure who wins, because you have Jimmy Butler who to me is far and away the best player in this series and I think he would easily win the matchup on offense because he's being guarded by average defenders at this stage in their careers in Hayward (hasn't quite improved enough) and Deng (has lost a step or two)

xbrackattackx
10-15-2015, 12:19 PM
Well on the note of Noah, If they did double anyone or put a poor defender on Noah. I can put in Oly who can score around the hoop. And if they put Monroe at Center. I can use Nurik and Noah and Let Ryno or Butler run wild on offense. My bench gives me pretty good options as Bazemore and McCallum and score and defend. With me running a deeper lineup my guys will also have more stamina. It would be a hell of a series.

ChiSox219
10-15-2015, 11:03 PM
Wait Boca secured the 2 seed in this without a top 25 player or a particularly stout D? Pretty sub-par 3pt shooting from their starters as well. Plus Deng has really fallen off (and Monroe is a sieve defensively). I honestly don't think that team would be .500 if they were in the West. Are all the players available in this draft? I'm not saying he picked poorly, but surely a Lebron/KD/Curry/AD/Harden, etc squad was more stout than this? I'd take any 1 of them over any 2 players on this team.

edit: Looking at the other teams and thinking about it, it does make sense. You aren't going to be able to draft a team with Curry/Klay/Dray or Lebron/Kyrie/Love or KD/Westbrook or Harden/Howard, etc etc. Teams at the top are going to be weaker than in real life, and there would be a lot more parity overall.

I'm with Tredigs. I saw that squad was the 2-seed and did a double take. What in the hell did you guys do in the re-draft this year where a team without a single top 25 caliber player secured a 2 seed? I might need to come out of retirement next year to improve the quality of the PSD games. :pity:

I missed the playoffs with Harden but the league died before voting so I dont know if people spent much time on their ranking.

I'd pick Carolina in this series, better spacing and a big advantage defensively.

mightybosstone
10-16-2015, 08:40 AM

My first reaction to this post was already addressed by brack, which is that Anderson creates his own defensive issues on the other end. Monroe (who already sucks defensively) would really struggle to keep up with him on the perimeter, and the floor spacing would leave a lot of open lanes for Rubio and Butler to penetrate.

But to answer your question directly, I admit Carolina's front court defense is subpar. But their overall defense is pretty solid. They've got plus defenders at four positions and two of the best perimeter defenders in the NBA on the wings. I think great overall team defense will trump one or two holes defensively more often than not. Also, is it wrong that I just am not a big Greg Monroe guy? Sure, he's going to get his 15-17 points a night in this series, but do you really see him taking over and putting up 22-25 a night and being the go-to guy? I'm just not seeing it. Plus, if Carolina plays the type of swarming, tenacious defense they're capable of playing, I think there's enough competent defenders in that starting five to really bother him.

That's just my take, though. This is a close series and both teams are relatively solid, if a tad flawed. I just like Carolina better and think they match up well because of their floor spacing and excellent perimeter defense.

Mr. Baller
10-17-2015, 01:19 PM
Good game Brack

xbrackattackx
10-17-2015, 02:03 PM
Good game Brack

Good Game Baller!