PDA

View Full Version : NBA Expansion

Tg11
10-10-2015, 02:05 PM
In terms of NBA if it ever does expand from 30 teams to 32 teams, 2 more teams being added into the league then I would be perfectly fine with it. Imagine the NBA with 32 teams even though technically right now we already have our 30 teams in the NBA but with 32 teams you would have a 16 team conference as opposed to a 15 team conference. 1 new expansion team in the Eastern Conference and 1 new expansion team in the Western Conference.

But if that is only if expansion ever does happen which personally in my opinion I know I would want to see it happen. My 2 candidates for expansion teams would be in Seattle and Los Vegas.

However if we are talking re-location then which teams do you think should move to another city?

Raps18-19 Champ
10-10-2015, 03:47 PM
Montreal and Seattle. Montreal can clearly host an NBA team and Seattle has shown before that it could.

YAALREADYKNO
10-10-2015, 04:09 PM
I'm down for a team in Vegas and Seattle but they're both in the west so maybe teams like Memphis and Minnesota go out east?

Phantom Dreamer
10-10-2015, 05:49 PM
There's nothing "technical" about it, the NBA has 30 teams with no need to expand.

Saddletramp
10-10-2015, 05:50 PM
I'm down for a team in Vegas and Seattle but they're both in the west so maybe teams like Memphis and Minnesota go out east?

Just one would have to move. Seems like he have this conversation every few months.

slashsnake
10-10-2015, 05:59 PM
30 or 32 teams is the perfect number, just ask the NFL. Can go 4 divisions of 4 teams each in each conference. Or the 5 teams in 3 divisions like current. No lopsided divisions though.

Overseas is tough for the NBA with back to backs and very few times with more than 3 days of rest.

Vegas would scare me a bit, same with Mexico City. Lots of "distractions" there.

Vancouver I doubt will get another chance, but has really grown since the Griz left and already have an arena. Seattle again might be worth a look.

Louisville would be great, huge arena with lots of luxury suites, big market.

HandsOnTheWheel
10-10-2015, 07:04 PM
Los Vegas

lamzoka
10-10-2015, 07:20 PM
Los Vegas :laugh2:
and called it the Los Vegas Aces, but Los Vegas Losers sounds better

Corey
10-10-2015, 07:21 PM
Teams are already stuck in the cellar. I'd rather relocate someone than add more teams and water down the league more.

There's already scrubs that dont belong on the court on each NBA team. Add 30 more roster spots for players that cant hack it? Eh

lamzoka
10-10-2015, 07:26 PM
Teams are already stuck in the cellar. I'd rather relocate someone than add more teams and water down the league more.

There's already scrubs that dont belong on the court on each NBA team. Add 30 more roster spots for players that cant hack it? Eh

Im with you. Move the Kings to seattle. (California doesn't need 4 NBA teams) and get the Nets out of New York

slashsnake
10-10-2015, 07:48 PM

Great point. With the stars grouping up, more than likely it would just mean two more crap teams every year trying to get a top 3 pick.

Saddletramp
10-10-2015, 08:08 PM
Give every team 5 years and at the end of that time, the two teams with the lowest winning percentage get excised from the league, bringing on a flipped expansion draft. That'll fix the tanking problem, too.

And no, I'm not serious.

slashsnake
10-10-2015, 08:18 PM
Give every team 5 years and at the end of that time, the two teams with the lowest winning percentage get excised from the league, bringing on a flipped expansion draft. That'll fix the tanking problem, too.

And no, I'm not serious.

lol... be like some of the Euro soccer leagues where if you are bad enough they drop you down to the next lower level and bring up some teams.... But yeah, the Timberwolves value just dropped by 90% at hearing that joke.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-10-2015, 08:28 PM
I prefer two expansions teams instead of relocation. Also prefer moving a few west teams to the east. So throw the two new expansion teams west and move Thunder and Grizzlies to the east. Mark Cuban would love this. He been crying for a while now. But then again Dirk wont be playing forever. Also two expansion teams means more money and max cap slots.

So super teams would dwindle when player get greedy and go for the money. Thompson and Barnes be first to jump ship for the big pay days. Seattle Supersonics have to be back. Not sure what other city deserves one. Not so sure Vegas be a spot for young players. Probably be more point shaving and what not. Players banned. Could see all kinda of crazy stuff.

Also for the nay sayers saying league is diluted. Well it's been diluted back in 1988 already.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-10-2015, 09:44 PM
Expansion instead of relocating. Then have a hard cap to spread the talent around.

rhino17
10-10-2015, 09:52 PM
Relocating for sure

expansion would be stupid.

A team like the Bucks will eventually move, maybe the kings too.

TheTreys
10-10-2015, 11:02 PM
Maybe a St. Louis team and a Pittsburgh team?

East Divisions
Knicks, Nets, Celtics, Raptors
Pittsburgh, 76ers, Wizards, Cavaliers
Pistons, Bucks, Bulls, Pacers
Heat, Magic, Hawks, Hornets

West Divisions
Mavericks, Rockets, Spurs, Pelicans
St. Louis, Grizzlies, Thunder, Timberwolves
Nuggets, Jazz, Blazers, Suns
Lakers, Clippers, Warriors, Kings

My other two choices would be Baltimore & another Seattle team.
For a relocating team, I'd probably explore the Clippers moving to San Diego.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-10-2015, 11:39 PM
Relocating for sure

expansion would be stupid.

A team like the Bucks will eventually move, maybe the kings too.

Bucks just got a new owner that got them a new arena.

JEDean89
10-11-2015, 06:19 PM
Bucks and Kings aint going aynwhere. the best, most cost effective solution imo, expand to Vancouver and Seattle, and send the Pelicans or Grizz to the Eastern Conference. Seattle and Vancouver already have fanbases, as well as NBA ready stadiums, so it would be cheap for the cities to add a team. makes the East/West more competitive, gives canada a second team as it gains Canadian Stars that could boost popularity there. Ultimately, I see 4-6 teams expanded to Europe, once air travel gets to the point that crossing the Atlantic can take less than 2 hours. France, Spain, Germany, England and maybe Turkey and Greece. That would be a lot of fun, though it would essentially destroy the Euro League.

Shammyguy3
10-11-2015, 07:00 PM
Expansion instead of relocating. Then have a hard cap to spread the talent around.

The only way expansion makes sense is if somehow, someway the league is able to not water down the league and make two more crappy teams. I don't like the idea of expansion, but if they were to do it I agree with Raps, there would have to be a hard-cap instituted.

I'm not in love with that idea, however. I want to see GREAT teams in the finals, not good teams. The Warriors team we just saw, that was a historic team. In a hard-cap setting, there's no way that team would've existed.

xbrackattackx
10-11-2015, 08:23 PM
Bucks and Kings aint going aynwhere. the best, most cost effective solution imo, expand to Vancouver and Seattle, and send the Pelicans or Grizz to the Eastern Conference. Seattle and Vancouver already have fanbases, as well as NBA ready stadiums, so it would be cheap for the cities to add a team. makes the East/West more competitive, gives canada a second team as it gains Canadian Stars that could boost popularity there. Ultimately, I see 4-6 teams expanded to Europe, once air travel gets to the point that crossing the Atlantic can take less than 2 hours. France, Spain, Germany, England and maybe Turkey and Greece. That would be a lot of fun, though it would essentially destroy the Euro League.

Or until then, move the Euro teams to places here(Just for the season). Like England team play in Vancover,Spain in Seattle...Also brings new untested NBA talent. Could find more Dirks and Paus with these teams getting the coaching and equipment we have here. Just brainstorming don't kill me.

Gander13SM
10-12-2015, 03:57 AM

Disagree. If they didn't belong in the league they wouldn't be here. There's plenty of D-League and Euroleague players who would love the opportunity, wouldn't be hard to replace the "scrubs".

These guys are pro ballers. Dimished roles and a focus on supertars can make people forget how good these guys are. I mean the 15th man on an NBA team could head to China and become a superstar overnight. Completely dominating.

If you're on an NBA roster, you've earned it. Staying on one is the difficult part, if you manage to stick around I don't care what your box score stats are, you can play.

PhillyFaninLA
10-12-2015, 04:41 AM
You don't have enough talent to match the current number of team....expanding would further water down the league.

You don't (or shouldn't) expand when you don't have the product (in this case NBA talent) to cover potential demand.

GoferKing_
10-12-2015, 10:41 AM
Im with you. Move the Kings to seattle. (California doesn't need 4 NBA teams) and get the Nets out of New York

Move one LA team. Kings are staying in Sacramento.

Slug3
10-12-2015, 10:47 AM
The only way expansion makes sense is if somehow, someway the league is able to not water down the league and make two more crappy teams. I don't like the idea of expansion, but if they were to do it I agree with Raps, there would have to be a hard-cap instituted.

I'm not in love with that idea, however. I want to see GREAT teams in the finals, not good teams. The Warriors team we just saw, that was a historic team. In a hard-cap setting, there's no way that team would've existed.

the thing is, is it already too late for a hard cap? I mean the next 2 years salaries are going to go way up. I cant see the players agreeing to a hard cap now.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-12-2015, 10:52 AM

Two expansion teams would be a get out of jail free card soon enough with all the bad contracts handed out. Expansion draft would be a blessing to dump a few bad contracts. Heck look when Grizzlies and Raptors entered the league. Grizzlies went with youth. Raptors went with veterans like Davis and Oakley? They were pushing for playoffs first season I think. Cant remember.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-12-2015, 10:56 AM
the thing is, is it already too late for a hard cap? I mean the next 2 years salaries are going to go way up. I cant see the players agreeing to a hard cap now.

Players may change their minds if no max player salary slot or no veteran minimum.

slumber
10-12-2015, 10:59 AM
There are teams out there struggling financially. It would make more sense just to relocate those.

2-ONE-5
10-12-2015, 02:17 PM
In terms of NBA if it ever does expand from 30 teams to 32 teams, 2 more teams being added into the league then I would be perfectly fine with it. Imagine the NBA with 32 teams even though technically right now we already have our 30 teams in the NBA but with 32 teams you would have a 16 team conference as opposed to a 15 team conference. 1 new expansion team in the Eastern Conference and 1 new expansion team in the Western Conference.

But if that is only if expansion ever does happen which personally in my opinion I know I would want to see it happen. My 2 candidates for expansion teams would be in Seattle and Los Vegas.

However if we are talking re-location then which teams do you think should move to another city?

the league needs at least 2 less teams not 2 more.

Slug3
10-12-2015, 03:47 PM
Players may change their minds if no max player salary slot or no veteran minimum.

I feel like this could make things worse. Some of these owners already give crazy contracts to players that don't deserve them and then complain when they don't contend or make money. Now I could see one of these same teams giving one person 30+ million a year and complain why he cant put together a team when he has no money.

Shammyguy3
10-12-2015, 05:53 PM
I'm fine for expansion if they (a) institute a hard-cap and (b) do away with "max" contracts. The maximum contract length should be 4 years in this scenario (in my opinion at least), with some restriction for salary increase/decrease (so 7% max increase yearly or what be have you). This way, 2 new teams in the mix will have quite a bit of dough to potentially use after an expansion draft. That can keep the NBPA happy to a degree. And I know that everyone thinks players are overpaid - well, it's not that. It's the stars in this league being underpaid.

If a team has a hard cap of $100M, and they have $40M in salary space, they should be able to spend all of that on a player like Lebron or Durant.

da ThRONe
10-12-2015, 06:00 PM
You don't have enough talent to match the current number of team....expanding would further water down the league.

You don't (or shouldn't) expand when you don't have the product (in this case NBA talent) to cover potential demand.

I disagree here. I don't think there's a lack of talent. If anything I think there's not enough meaningful mins to develop players.

Shammyguy3
10-12-2015, 06:16 PM
I disagree here. I don't think there's a lack of talent. If anything I think there's not enough meaningful mins to develop players.

you don't develop players only by giving them minutes. I don't think giving every single one of the younger players an increase in minutes would make anyone say "wow, the league's so talented it just didn't have enough minutes." There's a reason why certain young players don't pan out, one of the least important factors for that is not getting enough game-time minutes

mrblisterdundee
10-12-2015, 06:38 PM
If there was an expansion, I think the NBA would have to enforce a harder, lower cap to facilitate a dispersal of talent over more teams. If that happened, I think Seattle and Vancouver would be two smart destinations.
Seattle has the fan base and a proposal for the Seattle Arena backed by multiple local billionaires.
Vancouver has the wealth and population to support an NBA team, along with Rogers Arena, which can seat 19,700 for a basketball game. It also has the glitz factor, as the third most filmed-in city in the world after Bombay and Los Angeles. You'd get quite an array of star-studded fans at those games, not to mention the chance to let Steve Nash coach.

da ThRONe
10-12-2015, 07:27 PM
you don't develop players only by giving them minutes. I don't think giving every single one of the younger players an increase in minutes would make anyone say "wow, the league's so talented it just didn't have enough minutes." There's a reason why certain young players don't pan out, one of the least important factors for that is not getting enough game-time minutes

I don't recall saying a lack of in game mins is the only thing preventing players from developing. However do you think Wiggins would be as far along after one year playing for the Cavs? I think a lot of guys in the league aren't allowed to grow through mistakes and are often reduced to role players.

McAllen Tx
10-12-2015, 08:16 PM
Reading the title the 1st 2 cities that came to mind were Seattle & Las Vegas. So I guess I agree with the OP. But not sure about expansion though.

Relocating seems better to me. But then again moving NO to East gives Davis free rides to the Finals aftet 2 years.

Corey
10-13-2015, 09:52 AM
Disagree. If they didn't belong in the league they wouldn't be here. There's plenty of D-League and Euroleague players who would love the opportunity, wouldn't be hard to replace the "scrubs".

These guys are pro ballers. Dimished roles and a focus on supertars can make people forget how good these guys are. I mean the 15th man on an NBA team could head to China and become a superstar overnight. Completely dominating.

If you're on an NBA roster, you've earned it. Staying on one is the difficult part, if you manage to stick around I don't care what your box score stats are, you can play.

1) I didnt say anything about whether or not they earned it.

2) I didnt say anything about players who would love the opportunity

3) There's a lot of players in the NBA that simply arent good enough to see the court. Would they be more featured in other leagues? Sure...That's not relevant though. I know perfectly well how talented they are. I play in a mens league with some former D1 players that will never sniff the NBA and they're more talented than most people know...That doesn't mean anything though.

Two more teams means more money being passed around, more overpayments on mediocre players, more low end players getting roster spots, and a further talent water down.

I just dont think it's necessary at all.

Phantom Dreamer
05-02-2016, 11:27 PM
Seattle City Council votes down Seattle SODO arena 5-4. Another setback for the movement to get an NBA franchise back in the Emerald City.

IndyRealist
05-03-2016, 12:00 AM

California can financially support 4 teams, that's why they are there. New York can easily support 2 teams. Other cities can't afford the other sports they already have. The NBA has a vested interest in putting teams where the money is. That's why Texas has 3 teams and Florida has 2. They'd put another team in Boston and Chicago if they could.

Scoots
05-03-2016, 01:19 AM
This wasn't about expansion though was it?

naps
05-03-2016, 02:04 AM
Seattle. Still cant accept the fact that they dont have their team. They were robbed. Basketball was robbed. There are some very non-functional small market teams that need to be moved to better places, at least move one to Seattle, preferably the Kings.

Phantom Dreamer
05-03-2016, 05:50 AM
Seattle. Still cant accept the fact that they dont have their team. They were robbed. Basketball was robbed. There are some very non-functional small market teams that need to be moved to better places, at least move one to Seattle, preferably the Kings.The Kings are moving into a new arena next season and for now, the prospects of a new arena in Seattle are dead. The Kings are not going anywhere

Munkeysuit
05-03-2016, 06:56 AM
Hawai'i should get an expansion team.

JasonJohnHorn
05-03-2016, 08:22 AM
If the league wants to improve the level of play, what they need to do is open a sister league in Europe; leave the draft entree age at highschool for that league, and raise the draft entree age in the NBA to 22. That would allows young kids to get paid to play out of highschool, instead of risking injury for free for 1-4 years in college, while exposing the NBA to a broader audience and letting them see talented players before they make it big in the NBA and thus giving them reason to follow the NBA, while also giving older players a place to earn some money after NBA teams don't want them but while they still have some game left. It would also allow scout to better evaluate European talent.

I think expansion is a great idea, but I think 30 teams is already enough for now. I think an expansion in Europe would be far more interesting.

Scoots
05-03-2016, 09:37 AM
If the league wants to improve the level of play, what they need to do is open a sister league in Europe; leave the draft entree age at highschool for that league, and raise the draft entree age in the NBA to 22. That would allows young kids to get paid to play out of highschool, instead of risking injury for free for 1-4 years in college, while exposing the NBA to a broader audience and letting them see talented players before they make it big in the NBA and thus giving them reason to follow the NBA, while also giving older players a place to earn some money after NBA teams don't want them but while they still have some game left. It would also allow scout to better evaluate European talent.

I think expansion is a great idea, but I think 30 teams is already enough for now. I think an expansion in Europe would be far more interesting.

I think the Euroleague would have a problem with that plan.

IndyRealist
05-03-2016, 09:44 AM

So essentially, college.

TheMightyHumph
05-03-2016, 02:50 PM

Nets aren't going anywhere. They are trying to dig deep roots in Brooklyn.

Ty Fast
05-04-2016, 04:13 PM
St Louis and Seatte

Laker Legend42
05-05-2016, 01:11 AM
If anyone is going to Seattle it will be the clippers. That owner promised that city another team and when the clippers lease is up at staples I think they are gone. They are also trying to get a stadium built in Seattle now. I think it was just voted down but another proposal is probably on the way.

The word here in L.A is they are looking for a team to move into those vacant lakers uniforms. Yup maybe we can get an expansion team. Ha