PDA

View Full Version : Farrel Will Return in 2016

RedSoxtober
10-01-2015, 02:35 PM
According to Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com, citing multiple industry sources, John Farrell will return to the Red Sox dugout as manager next year if he is deemed healthy at the conclusion of his three rounds of chemotherapy treatments. McAdam says that Dombrowski has already informed Red Sox coaches of his decision, but that he’s avoided public comment on the matter in deference to the more pressing concern about Farrell’s health.Alex Speier

Bo Sox Fan
10-01-2015, 02:51 PM
Yay.

After what I'm expecting to be a successful offseason, we deter it by bringing back a guy who loses this team more games than he prevents in the loss column with his in-game management. Or lack there of.

This team took off under Lovullo. Sad he'll be out the door.

celticsman2009
10-01-2015, 04:48 PM
What's all this Buck Showalter whispers? I'll jump on that train.

bagwell368
10-02-2015, 07:36 AM
New GM, lots of kids, but PC issues if they move out our below average Manager... I'd ask him to take an off field job in early Jan.

I wouldn't get too excited about his replacement. He's a better in game manager, but the pressure was way off, plus he's WORSE in post game interviews than Farrell. Surprised he hasn't belted out "Sweet you know what"

Showalter? I'd rather get a younger guy, but the new GM may want an old salt.

j-bay
10-04-2015, 01:00 PM
@PeteAbe
#RedSox announce that Farrell will return as manager.

@ScottLauber
Lovullo has signed a two-year contract as bench coach. Chili Davis, Carl Willis, Brian Butterfield, Dana LeVangie returning #RedSox

ruckus16969
10-04-2015, 06:03 PM
Well that's good to hear just in case Farrell goes into remission or he sucks. We can then fire Farrel and bring this dude in

RedSoxtober
10-05-2015, 01:34 PM
Lovullo has been interviewing for managerial jobs for years. He has spent years building to the point where he can lead a big league team. Time and again, he’s been viewed as a standout candidate, yet there was always an element of speculation regarding whether his upbeat managerial style would prove as effective in a big league clubhouse as it had been in the minors.

In Farrell’s absence from the Red Sox dugout, Lovullo had answered those questions, guiding a young team through a tumultuous period. It seemed inconceivable that any managerial search that is to come this offseason would fail to include him as a candidate.

Against that possibility, however, Lovullo was weighing — perhaps even wrestling with — an offer from Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski . The Red Sox were prepared to tear up Lovullo’s contract to serve as Farrell’s bench coach and replace it with a two-year deal to be the Red Sox bench coach — a term that would coincide with the remainder of Farrell’s deal — and that would include boost his compensation. But that came with a caveat: Lovullo would forgo the chance to interview for a managerial position for the next year in order to ensure that the Red Sox would have stability in their leadership at a time when Farrell might still be working back to full health.

This was what Farrell and Lovullo were discussing openly. Farrell asked his friend whether he could be satisfied moving back from a lead role into a support one.

“I said, ‘I love you. I’m loyal. That will not be an issue,’” Lovullo recounted.

The conversation continued, before finally arriving at the place where Farrell could not give a direct answer.

“I eventually asked him, I said, ‘What do you think I should do?’ And he said, ‘I’ll never tell you what to do,’” said Lovullo. “[But] I could tell through some of his words where he was leaning, and it seemed like it was in this direction.”

On Sunday, the Red Sox announced that Farrell will be back as the Red Sox manager in 2016, and that Lovullo had signed a two-year agreement to remain as bench coach.Alex Speier

I'm glad Lovullo is engaged for at least one more year. And if Farrell fails to lead the young team then it's nice to have a candidate to replace him long term already a part of the staff.

RedSoxtober
10-05-2015, 01:41 PM
Orsillo’s departure was not the only one, of course. Late on Saturday night, first base coach Arnie Beyeler was informed that after nine years as a minor league manager and big league coach, he would not be brought back in 2016.

“Brutal,” one member of the club said, shaking his head, while watching Beyeler say his goodbyes early Sunday afternoon, shortly before he delivered the lineup card to the plate.Boston Globe