PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected: Tristan Thompson may sign a three-year, $53 million deal with Cavs

spreadeagle
09-24-2015, 08:07 PM
Story is that Thompson has lowered his demand from 5 yr/$94 max to 3 years/$53 million

.https://twitter.com/Chris_Broussard/status/647180770935730176

tredigs
09-24-2015, 08:22 PM
https://twitter.com/Chris_Broussard/status/647180770935730176

~18 mil for TT feels so wrong. Where does he scare you? His 4 offensive rebounds he'll get you per game? I love that, but the kid can't stretch the floor and isn't scaring any dynamic playmakers defensively. It's a tough task to rate him better than average. Just a losing bet.

Arch Stanton
09-24-2015, 08:26 PM
This has pretty much been refuted by the CAVS.

SteBO
09-24-2015, 08:55 PM
Negotiations almost never work this way.....especially not publicly. The Cavs are doing the smart thing by standing firm here.

MonroeFAN
09-25-2015, 09:27 AM
~18 mil for TT feels so wrong. Where does he scare you? His 4 offensive rebounds he'll get you per game? I love that, but the kid can't stretch the floor and isn't scaring any dynamic playmakers defensively. It's a tough task to rate him better than average. Just a losing bet.

Tredigs, would you suggest that he's an "elite" offensive rebounder? (Curious for arguments sake in another topic).

Arch Stanton
09-25-2015, 10:10 AM
With every million dollars extra the Cavs spend this offseason, they’re racking up $3-4 million in luxury tax payments. If the Cavs sign TT at the qualifying offer of $6.9 million, they pay $34.6 million in taxes. If they sign him at the max $16.4 million this season (with annual 7.5% raises), they pay $77.3 million in taxes this year, a difference of $59.1 million in 2015-2016 taxes and salary.

tredigs
09-25-2015, 12:19 PM
Tredigs, would you suggest that he's an "elite" offensive rebounder? (Curious for arguments sake in another topic).

He is. He's as good at crashing the glass as anyone in the game. That's his thing.

THE MTL
09-25-2015, 03:13 PM
Even with the new salary cap, he isnt worth it. Guys like Monroe, Bledsoe, Haywood, Parsons are getting 16 mil per year with the new cap structure. Thompson has none of the skill sets of those guys.

Heck even guys below the 16mil threshold. Robin Lopez is big man who got 13mil per year. Rubio is a pure point guard with elite passing/good defense making 14 mil per year. Thompson still has none of the skill sets or specialities that boost value.

He is worth 10-11 mil per year like his teammate Shumpert got. Shump can defend and thats pretty much it and Thompson can rebound and thats pretty much it.

Arch Stanton
09-25-2015, 04:13 PM
Even with the new salary cap, he isnt worth it. Guys like Monroe, Bledsoe, Haywood, Parsons are getting 16 mil per year with the new cap structure. Thompson has none of the skill sets of those guys.

Heck even guys below the 16mil threshold. Robin Lopez is big man who got 13mil per year. Rubio is a pure point guard with elite passing/good defense making 14 mil per year. Thompson still has none of the skill sets or specialities that boost value.

He is worth 10-11 mil per year like his teammate Shumpert got. Shump can defend and thats pretty much it and Thompson can rebound and thats pretty much it.

TT's greatest skill may be durability. He has never missed a game.

dalton749
09-25-2015, 06:34 PM
TT's greatest skill may be durability. He has never missed a game.

his greatest skill is rebounding, and it's because thats all he can do on offense
its basically, if you cant score the ball you may as well do something productive out there
hes not worth 10 mil in todays 4 out nba

FlashBolt
09-25-2015, 08:04 PM
I want good guys to get paid but TT does not even deserve $12,000,000. He's too one dimensional. If you are getting paid close to the max, does that mean that LeBron+TT are a big two? I don't understand what the market is at right now. He's an above average defender with durability and because he lacks any offensive arsenal besides lobs and that short jump hook, most of his energy is spent grabbing rebounds. Cavs could do without him anyways as long as Varejao stays healthy.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-27-2015, 10:35 AM
Wouldn't it be crazy LeBron has management over pay all these guys. Then he bolts next year and Cavs stuck with a bunch of bad contracts. That thought crossed my mind if Cavs don't win it all this year.

Scoots
09-29-2015, 04:21 PM
With every million dollars extra the Cavs spend this offseason, they’re racking up $3-4 million in luxury tax payments. If the Cavs sign TT at the qualifying offer of $6.9 million, they pay $34.6 million in taxes. If they sign him at the max $16.4 million this season (with annual 7.5% raises), they pay $77.3 million in taxes this year, a difference of $59.1 million in 2015-2016 taxes and salary.

Actually it's a LOT more than that ... they will be tax repeaters which means each successive year the penalty on each dollar over climbs too.

2-ONE-5
09-30-2015, 12:14 PM
if im the Cavs im telling Thompson to go F himself and offering Reggie Evans a min contract.

Scoots
09-30-2015, 12:23 PM
if im the Cavs im telling Thompson to go F himself and offering Reggie Evans a min contract.

I don't think they can offer anyone else a contract ... I think they are out of options. Thompson's going to play for the Cavs this year. The only question is after that.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-30-2015, 02:19 PM
I'd tell Thompson to take the QO and let us know where you want to be traded.

Scoots
09-30-2015, 02:53 PM

I think that if the Cavs decided to trade him before the season that they'd want to do a sign and trade and NOT have him do the QO so they can maximize the assets they get back.

phantasyyy
09-30-2015, 03:16 PM

Doesn't signing the QO, make him untradeable? or does he just have to agree to wherever hes being traded to?

All this talk about a team willing to give him the max is all nonsense from his agent lol, the Raptors have already gotten their Canadian PF, in Bennett.

Scoots
09-30-2015, 05:29 PM
Doesn't signing the QO, make him untradeable? or does he just have to agree to wherever hes being traded to?

All this talk about a team willing to give him the max is all nonsense from his agent lol, the Raptors have already gotten their Canadian PF, in Bennett.

At this point in the season I don't think any team will give him the max so it's all moot anyhow. The question is do the Cavs want him beyond this year and if they do they are going to have to pay big money to do so. Thompson and his agent have been consistent in that message, and it's almost as if LeBron orchestrated it from the beginning.

Cal827
10-02-2015, 12:48 AM
Don't think he signed the QO by the deadline... Lebron, Gilbert and Co made the mistake of not going to his house and barricading themselves in.

His agent's an idiot though. I highly doubt that anybody is gonna give him a max contract and potentially throw themselves out of a Lebron/Durant Free Agency, just cause of 20+ playoff games, but then again... the list of huge, terrible contracts isn't a small one :laugh2:

kingsdelez24
10-02-2015, 01:31 AM

DING DING DING DING DING DING

Reggie Evans basically put up thr same numbers for the nets a couple of years ago, wheres his max contract?

Edit: he posted similar numbers. TT is Reggie Evans woth somewhat of an offensive game, and thatvshould never be worth more than 10-12 mil, rising cap or not.

Chronz
10-02-2015, 01:44 AM
What makes TT worth more than Ed Davis??

Cal827
10-02-2015, 05:55 AM
#ThingsworthmorethanTristian

2-ONE-5
10-02-2015, 08:40 AM

Bennett is stopping the Raps from making any moves in that position.

diu9leilomo
10-02-2015, 10:33 AM
he will be a cav unless lebron said so..

Vee-Rex
10-02-2015, 10:40 AM
#ThingsworthmorethanTristian

:laugh:

Scoots
10-02-2015, 10:43 AM
What makes TT worth more than Ed Davis??

LeBron.

I really wanted the Warriors to get Davis last year but Davis only wanted to play for the Lakers. I guess that only lasted one season :)

Tony_Starks
10-02-2015, 10:46 AM
Cleveland can front all they want but they are not starting the season without him.

Should've never got this far though...

Arch Stanton
10-02-2015, 12:12 PM
Gotta think that they are close to a deal, otherwise I do not know why TT would not have taken the QO. He is now a RFA, which means the CAVS can match anything TT is offered.

Tony_Starks
10-02-2015, 12:55 PM
Gotta think that they are close to a deal, otherwise I do not know why TT would not have taken the QO. He is now a RFA, which means the CAVS can match anything TT is offered.

He knows the pressure will be on them more and more to work something out. They can't afford to be perceived as doing anything less than trying to surround Lebron with the most talent possible this time around....

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-02-2015, 01:02 PM
Side note John Henson agrees to 4/$44M with the Bucks.

Scoots
10-02-2015, 02:20 PM

Wasn't he already an RFA? The only thing that has changed is now he can't play this year on the qualifying offer. It's either a contract (with the Cavs or another team) or he stays home and is unrestricted next off-season. And no, I don't think another team is going to make him an offer.

Tony_Starks
10-02-2015, 02:48 PM

Wasn't he already an RFA? The only thing that has changed is now he can't play this year on the qualifying offer. It's either a contract (with the Cavs or another team) or he stays home and is unrestricted next off-season. And no, I don't think another team is going to make him an offer.

He won't be unrestricted next season, they still hold his rights.

If this stalemate were to last until next season, which it wont, we'd have to do this whole dance all over again.

2-ONE-5
10-02-2015, 03:52 PM
he is in for a rude awakening when he hits the FA market.

Scoots
10-02-2015, 05:25 PM
sportrac is showing him as having signed a deal. http://www.spotrac.com/nba/cleveland-cavaliers/tristan-thompson/

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-03-2015, 10:17 AM
I know it's a new tv deal for more cap but that's a lot of money for just a rebounder. Henson looks like a steal now at $11M per.

Dade County
10-03-2015, 10:27 AM
I hope this is true, so this story can be deaded lol

Stunner
10-03-2015, 12:54 PM
@HoopsonFOX: Cavs remove all Tristan Thompson merchandise from team store. http://t.co/6g6joGz9cX http://t.co/4rdEgV3GVf

JesusNYY_Savior
10-03-2015, 01:11 PM
Looks like he's gonna get traded if there removing his merch and I like that message don't cave to an average players demands for a max payday

Arch Stanton
10-03-2015, 01:50 PM
Looks like he's gonna get traded if there removing his merch and I like that message don't cave to an average players demands for a max payday

No, I think it's just a negotiation tactic. In 2007, AV held out until December. I think Rich Paul may have overplayed his hand here.

basketballkitty
10-03-2015, 02:06 PM
Side note John Henson agrees to 4/$44M with the Bucks.

And Henson is way better then TT ( INMO )...better defensively, and just as good a rebounder. Both are and will never be their teams 1st, 2nd or even their 3rd options. So why Oh why would Cleveland be stupid to even offer him the 80 million that they did ? I would top off a offer for TT at 5 years, 55 million...either take it...or I say " SEE YA "!!

mjt20mik
10-03-2015, 02:38 PM
Dude doesn't ever average 10 and 10 and wants 17 mill per year... no

Arch Stanton
10-03-2015, 03:11 PM
No, I think it's just a negotiation tactic. In 2007, AV held out until December. I think Rich Paul may have overplayed his hand here.

It's actually per league rules.

@mcten: Yes, they were required per league rules. Wasn't malicious decision. Just a reality of the business. https://t.co/PSaypvxohw

Scoots
10-03-2015, 07:51 PM
I think the not signing the QO was probably a mistake. It takes away some of Thompson's leverage.

Tony_Starks
10-04-2015, 11:42 AM
"Get it done! Straight up! Missmybro"

Those are the recent twitter words of the great Lebron the James.

You don't think the pressure is on Dan Gilbert to get it done, with Lebrons agent no less?

He can't say it any clearer.....

Chronz
10-04-2015, 12:19 PM

You don't think the pressure is on Dan Gilbert to get it done, with Lebrons agent no less?

Wat pressure? I wouldn't cripple my team for a guy with even more pressure to never leave

Scoots
10-04-2015, 01:07 PM
Wat pressure? I wouldn't cripple my team for a guy with even more pressure to never leave

The team is already crippled. I wonder what LeBron is going to be saying about Mozgov next year. Trying to get him the max too?

Arch Stanton
10-04-2015, 01:40 PM
@mcten: LeBron maintained that his Instagram post last night was not simply pro Tristan, anti Cavs. Reiterated that "both sides" need to bend

Scoots
10-04-2015, 05:49 PM
@mcten: LeBron maintained that his Instagram post last night was not simply pro Tristan, anti Cavs. Reiterated that "both sides" need to bend

Yeah, Tristan needs to bend his fingers around a pen when he signs a huge deal.

kingsdelez24
10-05-2015, 09:12 AM
Tristab Thompsin isn't wprth more than the initial offer he received at 52 million for 4 years. Rising cap or not, he just is not worth any more

Tony_Starks
10-05-2015, 09:32 AM

The team is going to be crippled regardless. That's the repercussions for making super teams under the current CBA after the Heat fiasco.

Gilbert knows this, hell he was one of the loudest voices that helped create a system that penalizes you for making a "big 3" financially.

Hilariously ironic that the same restrictions he pushed for to penalize the "big market" teams are going to bite him.....