PDA

View Full Version : Greatest African American coaches?

DoMeFavors
09-23-2015, 01:42 AM
When I see the top coaches in NBA of all time I don't see a lot of African American coaches, who are some of the greatest African American coaches?

Raps18-19 Champ
09-23-2015, 05:18 AM
Gregg Popovich

5ass
09-23-2015, 05:35 AM
Steve Kerr

Tony_Starks
09-23-2015, 10:53 AM
Doc Rivers.

Even though Pat Riley is a honorary brotha!

SLY WILLIAMS
09-23-2015, 11:21 AM
Lenny Wilkins comes to mind right away.
KC Jones won a few rings with the Celtics.

Hawkeye15
09-23-2015, 11:47 AM

exactly the 2 I thought of.

Vinylman
09-23-2015, 04:37 PM
Mike Brown

Vinylman
09-23-2015, 04:40 PM
Sidney Lowe

Vinylman
09-23-2015, 04:41 PM
jacque Vaughn

RowBTrice
09-23-2015, 04:42 PM
Coach Carter

Vinylman
09-23-2015, 04:42 PM
jim cleamons

Vinylman
09-23-2015, 04:43 PM
ML Carr

Vinylman
09-23-2015, 04:44 PM
Magic Johnson

Vinylman
09-23-2015, 04:45 PM
Derek Fisher

Vinylman
09-23-2015, 04:48 PM
exactly the 2 I thought of.

Add Al Attles and you are pretty much done

Tony_Starks
09-23-2015, 06:00 PM
Mike Brown

The Rex Ryan of the NBA....

tredigs
09-23-2015, 09:31 PM
The Rex Ryan of the NBA....

ehhh... with 1/10th the charisma?

Has to be KC Jones or Lenny Wilkins, right? In my lifetime definitely Lenny. Fun fact: Bill Russell is one of 5 black coaches with a ring to his teams name.

OlivaThor
09-24-2015, 03:51 AM
Coach Carter

this

JasonJohnHorn
09-24-2015, 08:24 AM
Right now? I'd say Doc is near the top. Lenny Wilkens is obviously near the top. I think Jason Kidd will be in the conversation. K. C. Jones I'm not so sure of. He was coaching a great team that had already won and didn't do much afterwards.

As for younger guys, I think Dwayne Casey is doing a helluva job considering the limited talent he has on that roster. Lionel Hollins has done great work in the past, and though he was just fired, Monty Williams was doing a great job of bringing along a lot of young talent and helping them develop.

I think the league is getting better, but 25 years ago, it was hard to find a Black coach that was given the reigns of a contender, and the same could be said today with the exception of Doc Rivers. Black Player-turned-coaches are usually given lottery teams and have to prove themselves by over achieving, like Doc did with the Magic. And before that, you go back 30, 35 years, almost all the coaches were white. So it becomes hard to rank the greatest of all time, because they were usually stuck in losing situations.

There's still an issue. I mean, Kerr just got handed the keys to a dynasty as a rookie coach. You likely won't see that with a coach of colour. The Cavs. The Heat. The Warriors. The Thunder. These teams have all picked white coaches with no head coaching experiences in the NBA. I think the Clippers are the only contender with a Black coach, and he only got that job after helped turn two lottery teams around and won a championship. Kidd is the only person of colour that I can think of that got handed a team with high expectations in his first season.

I think there are some great Black coaches, but because we're care so much about the win total, and coaches of colour are usually given struggling teams, it is hard to really tell.

Hawkeye15
09-24-2015, 10:09 AM
Right now? I'd say Doc is near the top. Lenny Wilkens is obviously near the top. I think Jason Kidd will be in the conversation. K. C. Jones I'm not so sure of. He was coaching a great team that had already won and didn't do much afterwards.

As for younger guys, I think Dwayne Casey is doing a helluva job considering the limited talent he has on that roster. Lionel Hollins has done great work in the past, and though he was just fired, Monty Williams was doing a great job of bringing along a lot of young talent and helping them develop.

I think the league is getting better, but 25 years ago, it was hard to find a Black coach that was given the reigns of a contender, and the same could be said today with the exception of Doc Rivers. Black Player-turned-coaches are usually given lottery teams and have to prove themselves by over achieving, like Doc did with the Magic. And before that, you go back 30, 35 years, almost all the coaches were white. So it becomes hard to rank the greatest of all time, because they were usually stuck in losing situations.

There's still an issue. I mean, Kerr just got handed the keys to a dynasty as a rookie coach. You likely won't see that with a coach of colour. The Cavs. The Heat. The Warriors. The Thunder. These teams have all picked white coaches with no head coaching experiences in the NBA. I think the Clippers are the only contender with a Black coach, and he only got that job after helped turn two lottery teams around and won a championship. Kidd is the only person of colour that I can think of that got handed a team with high expectations in his first season.

I think there are some great Black coaches, but because we're care so much about the win total, and coaches of colour are usually given struggling teams, it is hard to really tell.

wish he could get a nice roster, I think he is a very good coach. I was pissed when the Wolves let him go after starting 20-20 with a highly flawed roster

east fb knicks
09-27-2015, 09:22 PM
Isiah thomas

mrblisterdundee
09-28-2015, 12:57 AM

K.C. Jones only won two rings with the Celtics, but he was probably the best black coach, followed by Doc Rivers and Bill Russell, a player-coach two seasons with the Celtics. There's also Al Attles with the Warriors' previous championship.

IKnowHoops
09-28-2015, 01:22 AM
I mean, Lenny, but what about Bill Russell?

Doc is good.

MackShock
09-28-2015, 08:55 AM
Doc Rivers is pretty overrated.

JasonJohnHorn
09-28-2015, 09:30 AM
I mean, Lenny, but what about Bill Russell?

Doc is good.

I think the reason that people overlook Russell is that he essentially picked up where Red left off. Red set the roster up, and the plays, and Russell just kept running those plays with those players.

It was guys he knew. Guys he led to a championship. Guys who listened to him. That is an easy group to coach, and a special situation. In Seattle he only managed two .500 seasons, and Lenny took them to the NBA finals the next season after Russell finished below .500. I won't even mention Sac-town. That was a partial season and an awful roster.