PDA

View Full Version : Current Top-20 Players (#14)

Shammyguy3
09-18-2015, 08:26 PM
Choose from the poll options and debate who the current Top 20 best players in the NBA are. This should not be based on who had the best season last year, but rather who you would choose for a team in order to win right now.

Additional options will be added as we go along based on who will realistically receive votes at that level (or if players are requested in the thread).

1. Lebron (73% of the vote)
2. Durant (55% of the vote)
3. Curry (55% of the vote)
4. Davis (50% of the vote)
5. Harden (57% of the vote)
6. Paul (52% of the vote)
7. Westbrook (82% of the vote)
8. Griffin (59% of the vote)
9. Cousins (29% of the vote)
10. Leonard (39% of the vote)
11. Gasol (41% of the vote)
12. Melo (28% of the vote)
13. Butler (39% of the vote)
14. ?

Chronz
09-18-2015, 08:45 PM
Going Wall because I want to stand up for myself. The guy is a jumper away from being the most complete PG today and hes improved that aspect every single year. I dont think its unfair to assume he takes yet another step forward in his skillset. He defends like a beast, passes better than anyone who cant shoot and creates better looks than most who can. Hes basically a smarter, more athletic version of prime Rondo and many loved him. Its either LMA, Wall or Duncan IMO.

Bruno
09-19-2015, 12:38 AM
I agree with Chronz. Per minute in a playoff series Duncan is possibly still the guy, but Wall is the other best two way player on the board. he can carry the team load and is better than every other PG we haven't already selected. George is a question mark, Love will play 20-25% beneath his ability to fit into Clevelands vortex, the older names have aged out beyond this level of selection IMO.

Can I nominate Rudy Gobert? He's already better than Dwight.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&y1=2015&p1=goberru01&y2=2015&p2=howardw01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=

Shammyguy3
09-19-2015, 12:50 AM
torn between Duncan, Love, and Wall. Love won't get this, so idk if i want to waste a vote on him. His team isn't ideal for his talents

Raps18-19 Champ
09-19-2015, 06:19 PM
It's gotta be Andrew Wiggins. I hear he's soo good.

Eagles4Lyfe
09-19-2015, 07:59 PM
I agree with Chronz. Per minute in a playoff series Duncan is possibly still the guy, but Wall is the other best two way player on the board. he can carry the team load and is better than every other PG we haven't already selected. George is a question mark, Love will play 20-25% beneath his ability to fit into Clevelands vortex, the older names have aged out beyond this level of selection IMO.

Can I nominate Rudy Gobert? He's already better than Dwight.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&y1=2015&p1=goberru01&y2=2015&p2=howardw01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=

I agree with you and Chrone wall is easily the best player left and his 2 way game is unbelievable. His lack of a jumper is also over exaggerated if his jumper was crummy then people wouldn't get abused on the regular by him or the spacing wouldn't be as good.

Also for your Gobert mention major props for that, I just laugh at the people who say he needs to prove himself for a longer period of time, almost as if hid skill set is going to randomly diminish. His height, length and defensive prowess is not something you lose overnight at all. He's nowhere near a one hit wonder and the advanced stats back that up.

It's time to pump the gobert train. Imagine Wall and Gobert on a team, hoolay

CousinsEvansDUO
09-19-2015, 08:54 PM
Rudy Gay is the best two way player here, he's as good of a defender as kawhi and butler, MILES ahead of MELO, and as good of an offensive player as Durant. The fact that someone said Andrew wiggins is just a joke, he has years to go to get even in the same breath as Rudy Gay.

LanceUpperCut
09-19-2015, 11:39 PM
Rudy Gay is the best two way player here, he's as good of a defender as kawhi and butler, MILES ahead of MELO, and as good of an offensive player as Durant. The fact that someone said Andrew wiggins is just a joke, he has years to go to get even in the same breath as Rudy Gay.

Got to be sarcasm right.

As good of an offensive player as Durant and as good defensively as Leonard.

tredigs
09-19-2015, 11:43 PM
Got to be sarcasm right.

As good of an offensive player as Durant and as good defensively as Leonard.
Not sarcasm. He's just not intelligent enough to have decent discussion on the board, so he trolls it instead. Not much else to it. A boring kid with boring rhetoric.

Raps18-19 Champ
09-20-2015, 01:40 AM
Andrew Wiggins though is probably the real answer.

Elite defender, near elite scorer. He could easily replicate his performance on a contending team and everyone would love him.

Allphakenny1
09-20-2015, 12:02 PM
There are a couple of guys I would be ok with here, and Wade is not one of them. Since it looks like it is out of him and Wall, my vote goes to Wall.

Shammyguy3
09-20-2015, 12:52 PM
not a single Wade supporter has voiced why he should be in the discussion over the last 5 threads. Is it blind support for a fallen star or what?

Tony_Starks
09-20-2015, 01:17 PM
Going Wall because I want to stand up for myself. The guy is a jumper away from being the most complete PG today and hes improved that aspect every single year. I dont think its unfair to assume he takes yet another step forward in his skillset. He defends like a beast, passes better than anyone who cant shoot and creates better looks than most who can. Hes basically a smarter, more athletic version of prime Rondo and many loved him. Its either LMA, Wall or Duncan IMO.

Do you consider his jumper broke? Its way inconsistent but I can't put him on a Rondo/ Lebron level where you don't even have to respect his jumper and dare him to shoot wide open. He's actually still being defended on his J, I think his shooting woes are more due to shoot selection. Like pulling up off the dribble or shooting off balance. He still plays at a pretty high speed.

His mechanics are cool tho, he just needs to fine tune the fundamentals.

Tony_Starks
09-20-2015, 01:19 PM
BTW the disrespect for Uncle Drew is REAL....

naps
09-20-2015, 02:24 PM
Do you consider his jumper broke? Its way inconsistent but I can't put him on a Rondo/ Lebron level where you don't even have to respect his jumper and dare him to shoot wide open. He's actually still being defended on his J, I think his shooting woes are more due to shoot selection. Like pulling up off the dribble or shooting off balance. He still plays at a pretty high speed.

Did you really said LeBron is at Rondo's level im terms of shooting? GTFO. LeBron is one of the finest, smartest, and effective shooters in the league.

Bruno
09-20-2015, 07:46 PM
Heat fans going full 2010 Laker fans here in these rankings.

he just put up the worst WS/48 of his career, excluding 2008.

FlashBolt
09-22-2015, 12:53 AM
I honestly stopped voting after the top ten. I started seeing Wade votes just off homerism and no actual support to why they chose them. It's funny because these same guys are defending other choices but not when it comes to Wade. As for someone who said LeBron doesn't have a jumpshot and put him on the Rondo tier of shooting, I have to assume it's just another elaborate attempt to take a shot at LeBron. Does he even realize that LeBron has a higher shooting % than Wall from 0-3 point territory? I'm not sure this guy actually knows what he's talking about.. Didn't mention him explicitly or quote him because then he thinks I have a hard-on for him cause I call him out for being misinformed.

Slug3
09-22-2015, 02:58 PM
not a single Wade supporter has voiced why he should be in the discussion over the last 5 threads. Is it blind support for a fallen star or what?

As a Wade fan I think I probably have it

14 - Wall
15 - Aldridge
16 - Wade

I could maybe put George in 16 and Wade 17, but not sure how I feel as he did miss a lot more time than Wade due to injury last year and not sure how he will be this year coming back from it. I can put Kyrie because he is way younger and probably more injury prone than Wade.

Allphakenny1
09-22-2015, 07:42 PM
As a Wade fan I think I probably have it

14 - Wall
15 - Aldridge
16 - Wade

I could maybe put George in 16 and Wade 17, but not sure how I feel as he did miss a lot more time than Wade due to injury last year and not sure how he will be this year coming back from it. I can put Kyrie because he is way younger and probably more injury prone than Wade.

I would add Duncan and Thompson to that list over Wade, maybe a few more.

Chronz
09-23-2015, 02:41 AM
Its great that Wade lost. Keep this going guys cuz 9 looks to be the minimum for him going forward.

tredigs
09-23-2015, 11:47 AM
List looks really solid overall honestly. Glad Wall got the nod here. His J IS an issue, but the guy is an incredible athlete/playmaker/defender. I'd lean Tim @15. When he's fully locked in he's probably higher, but top 15 feels just right for his game/minutes right now.

Hawkeye15
09-23-2015, 11:50 AM

omfg

dude, if your teams players were as good as you pimp them out to be constantly, they would be a 70 win team

Do you see the problem there......

Chronz
09-23-2015, 01:00 PM

Are you for real? LOL, hes definitely much worse than Bron, the reason you feel he might not be left open as much is because they dont fear his driving abilities the way people fear Brons. You'd rather leave Bron open because hes the most devastating wing in the history of the game once he gets a head of steam towards the rim.

Bron is a MUCH better shooter than Wall. Not only does he shoot more efficiently from 3 but Im fairly certain hes always been a good midrange shooter, certainly better than Wall.

According to NBA.com, Wall actually took a HIGHER % of his jumpers when "Open+WideOpen" than Bron did so I dont see what you think you're seeing, its prolly just more obvious with Bron because he has such a greater offensive burden or because you focus so intently on him. Meanwhile, you probably didn't take notice of the struggles the Wiz had when they tried to integrate more PnR with Beal (which he got pretty good at when he decided to stop the midrange chucking) but they had to get creative with how teams played off of Wall. You cant play off of Bron to the same degree because hes a much better shooter than you give him credit for and because he can get easy position if you keep a body off him.

I cant believe you actually put Bron in the Rondo category, lol, cmon man. There are varying degrees of shooting and even Rondo has improved abit in that category. For example, Wade is an even worse shooter than Bron, why not mention him?

flea
09-23-2015, 04:33 PM
PPG hounds ruining this. There's a guy who won a ring just 15 months ago as his team's best player, yet he might not even be in PSD's top 20. Instead we'll have one-way guards, guards who can't shoot, and big men chuckers over him. Sad state.

WaDe03
09-23-2015, 07:27 PM
PPG hounds ruining this. There's a guy who won a ring just 15 months ago as his team's best player, yet he might not even be in PSD's top 20. Instead we'll have one-way guards, guards who can't shoot, and big men chuckers over him. Sad state.

Who?