PDA

View Full Version : Ortiz 500

Petertherock
09-12-2015, 09:34 PM
Anyone want to tell me Ortiz is washed up and we should get rid of him now? Every year there are idiots on here that want to get rid of him and every year he continues to hit 30/100 and this year he has an outside shot of 40HRs. I'm waiting for Papi to hit #600!

Bo Sox Fan
09-13-2015, 01:34 AM
I'm not surprised anymore. Bat him cleanup the next year or 2 and let the RBI's pile up.

The haters or naysayers won't miss him till he's gone. Then they'll realize...

bagwell368
09-13-2015, 08:02 AM
I'm not surprised anymore. Bat him cleanup the next year or 2 and let the RBI's pile up.

The haters or naysayers won't miss him till he's gone. Then they'll realize...

Realize what? That he'll hit HR's with declining BA and OBP numbers, continue to be unusable in the field, and continue to act selfishly at the worst of times? Par for the course. Too bad that he couldn't have hit well early in the season when they were still in it...

RaginRondo17
09-13-2015, 12:08 PM
I am just glad it's not going to cross over in to next year, earlier in this year it didn't look like he would reach the 500 mark this season. I mean it's a nice milestone in a season when there isn't much worth celebrating.

corky831
09-13-2015, 12:27 PM
Realize what? That he'll hit HR's with declining BA and OBP numbers, continue to be unusable in the field, and continue to act selfishly at the worst of times? Par for the course. Too bad that he couldn't have hit well early in the season when they were still in it...

And replace him with what?? I'll take the 875 - 900 OPS he has provided for us most of his career. Has he been a diva at times....absolutely. But he will be very tough to replace in our lineup that lacks power. Congrats Big Papi.....one of 4 players with 500 hrs and 3 WS rings.....HOFer in my eyes....no doubt

bagwell368
09-13-2015, 07:58 PM
And replace him with what?? I'll take the 875 - 900 OPS he has provided for us most of his career. Has he been a diva at times....absolutely. But he will be very tough to replace in our lineup that lacks power. Congrats Big Papi.....one of 4 players with 500 hrs and 3 WS rings.....HOFer in my eyes....no doubt

How long is he going to keep that up? The last season he plays he's guaranteed to not be worth the money - be it '16 or '17.

Sure 500 HR's is nice, great.... NEXT!

Who is to replace him? Ramirez? Swihart? Pedroia? A combo? A new guy? Suffice it to say the Sox will have someone else play at DH, and by the time they do, even if that hitter isn't as good as Ortiz in '15, he'll kick the pants off of what Ortiz would do in '17, '18, '19, etc.

Voters don't like DH's - look at Edgar. Voters don't like guys with even a whiff of juice either - look at Bagwell. Ortiz is no first ballot choice, but will likely get in, and then Edgar - a better hitter and defensive player can finally get in (+18.3 rWAR in ~750 less PA's then Ortiz).

corky831
09-13-2015, 08:24 PM
How long is he going to keep that up? The last season he plays he's guaranteed to not be worth the money - be it '16 or '17.

Sure 500 HR's is nice, great.... NEXT!

Who is to replace him? Ramirez? Swihart? Pedroia? A combo? A new guy? Suffice it to say the Sox will have someone else play at DH, and by the time they do, even if that hitter isn't as good as Ortiz in '15, he'll kick the pants off of what Ortiz would do in '17, '18, '19, etc.

Voters don't like DH's - look at Edgar. Voters don't like guys with even a whiff of juice either - look at Bagwell. Ortiz is no first ballot choice, but will likely get in, and then Edgar - a better hitter and defensive player can finally get in (+18.3 rWAR in ~750 less PA's then Ortiz).

I didn't say he would be a 1st ballot HOFer.....and ya someone will replace him but won't come close to the production he has produced as a DH. We lack so much power in our line up....it will hurt losing his numbers when he retires or is replaced. I didn't say he'd produce those numbers for 16 and 17....but being on these boards for a while....I know you didn't think he'd put up the numbers that he has for 13, 14, and 15. There should be no hate towards papi.....what he has done for this organization.....he helped put Boston back on the map

Vincent33
09-13-2015, 08:39 PM
I'm just glad that Orsillo called #500.

ruckus16969
09-14-2015, 03:19 PM
Me too!! It's going to be weird watching games without Orisillo and Remy.

I agree 100% with Corky. His numbers will be next to impossible to replace. Not to mention what he does for the young guys coming up. The guy is loved by fans players most coaches. Eventually he is going to wear down but I can see him being productive for another year or 2. I was calling for his release earlier in the season when I thought age finally caught up with him but he turned it up and is showing us all that he can still produce.

I'm open to keeping him until he can't hit anyone. The guy does allot for this organization. I actually hope he replaces Chilli Davis someday