PDA

View Full Version : NBA To Seed Playoffs By Record, All But Kill Divisions

mrblisterdundee
09-09-2015, 12:35 AM
"The NBA announced Tuesday (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/nba-to-seed-playoffs-by-record-all-but-kill-divisions-372541.html) that, going forward, the top eight teams in each conference will be seeded for the playoffs based solely upon record, eliminating any advantage for winning a division."

Raps18-19 Champ
09-09-2015, 01:02 AM
Nice.

krazylegz
09-09-2015, 01:04 AM
bummer this had to happen,but west was just too much stronger:(

THE MTL
09-09-2015, 01:43 AM
I thought that was going to be across conferences too for a second. Started getting nervous for my eastern conference

tredigs
09-09-2015, 01:50 AM
bummer this had to happen,but west was just too much stronger:(
I WISH that is what this article is saying, but it certainly is not the top 16 teams overall. This doesn't really change much, you'll still play those in your division more than others for proximity reasons I'm sure.

Gander13SM
09-09-2015, 01:53 AM
So what's the point of keeping divisions? Just scrap them.

kobe4thewinbang
09-09-2015, 02:25 AM
Unfair advantage anyway that led to tougher matchups.

grkmaster
09-09-2015, 07:41 AM
So if the division winner has one less win than the 8th place team, they will not be in the playoffs? I thought when they were going to make this change that division winners will still be in the playoffs just they wont be guaranteed top 4 positions

PhillyFaninLA
09-09-2015, 08:02 AM
I disagree with this but I agree with what someone else says, might as well just scrap divisions and just have 2 conferences like they did when they didn't have a lot of teams.

This is a bad idea that is not about the integrity of the league or making the league better, and it punishes a team for winning a bad division...they don't have control over what other teams do.

tredigs
09-09-2015, 01:32 PM
I disagree with this but I agree with what someone else says, might as well just scrap divisions and just have 2 conferences like they did when they didn't have a lot of teams.

This is a bad idea that is not about the integrity of the league or making the league better, and it punishes a team for winning a bad division...they don't have control over what other teams do.

Can you expand on that? If a team who finishes first in a division full of teams who doesn't even have one team in the upper half of their own conference (including them), how is that a "punishment"? They already had a massive advantage in getting to play worse teams more often throughout the season while the other divisions were in the trenches battling against other very good teams all year (think Southwest Division). They should also get a get out of jail free card?

kdspurman
09-09-2015, 01:56 PM

SA had a better record than Portland but Portland finished with a higher seed due to them winning their division. This IMO ensures the best teams gets seeded accordingly.

JNA17
09-09-2015, 02:06 PM
I like this rule change a lot and also think they should scrap divisions all together.

I expect the NFL to follow this soon as well after last year when one of the worst teams in the league was only a couple of games out of the wildcard with a few games left in the season.

professor9889
09-09-2015, 02:29 PM
I thought it was dumb the division winners were given automatic home court for the playoffs, but I still believe they should be given a playoff spot otherwise there is no reason for divisions.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-09-2015, 02:49 PM
They should do this with the NFL as well. Seems like there's always a horrible division that lets one scrub team in on default.

LakersIn5
09-09-2015, 04:28 PM

Why reward a team for winning a bad division? Whoever has the best overall record should be rewarded over the team that with an inferior record but makes it to the playoffs just because they won the division.

Just an example.
Philly wins the their division but have the 9th best record in the east yet still makes playoffs , then that would be unfair for the team with the 8th best record but misses the playoffs because philly makes it for winning the division

Raidaz4Life
09-09-2015, 04:32 PM
Don't like this scenario. If division winners shouldn't matter then strength of schedule should also factor into a playoff birth. Otherwise its not fair to a team that wins 50 games playing in a much tougher division being seeded behind a 52 win team in an easier division.

BigBuckley
09-09-2015, 07:55 PM
Good. Maybe next year they can change it to seed overall by record too.

torocan
09-10-2015, 12:42 AM
It's a good start. Now if they just went to 1-16 seeding...

PhillyFaninLA
09-10-2015, 04:39 AM
Can you expand on that? If a team who finishes first in a division full of teams who doesn't even have one team in the upper half of their own conference (including them), how is that a "punishment"? They already had a massive advantage in getting to play worse teams more often throughout the season while the other divisions were in the trenches battling against other very good teams all year (think Southwest Division). They should also get a get out of jail free card?

If you win the division with 45 wins, you won your division. If a team wins 52 games but fails to win there division there season was not as successful.

If you have divisions then division winners matter, you should be rewarded for winning your division.

Your comment about they already had a massive advantage is part of my issue with this, you are punishing a team for beating the teams and being more successful than teams in there division.

Its not a get out of jail free card, its hey you where the best team in your division congratulations, your reward is a guaranteed home playoff series.

PhillyFaninLA
09-10-2015, 04:43 AM
Why reward a team for winning a bad division? Whoever has the best overall record should be rewarded over the team that with an inferior record but makes it to the playoffs just because they won the division.

Just an example.
Philly wins the their division but have the 9th best record in the east yet still makes playoffs , then that would be unfair for the team with the 8th best record but misses the playoffs because philly makes it for winning the division

Because they won there divisions.....if you have divisions then you should be rewarded for winning it.

And to your example, yes, if you win your division you should be guaranteed a home playoff series.

If you have divisions winning the division needs to matter or you hurt the integrity of the league. You also should have a higher seed than a non division winner. Its why you have divisions.

For the record using my team in your example does not impact my view, if you look through my posting history I was opposed to Ryan Howard winning MVP the year he did because we missed the playoffs.

tredigs
09-10-2015, 10:50 AM
You have divisions because travel is a real thing and it makes sense to try to play those closer to you more often from a logistical standpoint.

I'm fully on board with the most successful teams from each conference making the playoffs. As opposed to the most successful teams from each conference who happen to live kind of close together. I'd argue it increases the games status and creates a superior product. No auto passes just because you happen to live near ****** teams (at least within the conference). If that means scrapping divisions again all together, awesome.

da ThRONe
09-10-2015, 10:59 AM
This just mean they'll be even more meaningless games at the end of the seasons. Good job.

lamzoka
09-10-2015, 11:35 AM
I agree with most most people here. Either get rid off divisions all together, or guaranteed a playoffs spot for division winner. But not homecourt advantage.

tredigs
09-10-2015, 12:05 PM
This just mean they'll be even more meaningless games at the end of the seasons. Good job.

No, it doesn't. At all. What are you talking about?

nycericanguy
09-10-2015, 12:08 PM
So if the division winner has one less win than the 8th place team, they will not be in the playoffs? I thought when they were going to make this change that division winners will still be in the playoffs just they wont be guaranteed top 4 positions

this will literally never happen though, or maybe once in 100 years.

A divsion winner has never had the 9th best record in the conf.