PDA

View Full Version : Current Top-15 Players in the NBA (#11)

Shammyguy3
09-08-2015, 10:36 PM
Choose from the poll options and debate who the current Top 15 best players in the NBA are. This should not be based on who had the best season last year, but rather who you would choose for a team in order to win right now.

Additional options will be added as we go along based on who will realistically receive votes at that level (or if players are requested in the thread).

1. Lebron (73% of the vote)
2. Durant (55% of the vote)
3. Curry (55% of the vote)
4. Davis (50% of the vote)
5. Harden (57% of the vote)
6. Paul (52% of the vote)
7. Westbrook (82% of the vote)
8. Griffin (59% of the vote)
9. Cousins (29% of the vote)
10. Leonard (39% of the vote)

Allphakenny1
09-09-2015, 01:15 AM
Gasol for the third straight time.

Clippersfan86
09-09-2015, 12:18 PM
Based on last season Duncan was still better than Gasol who had a down year. That may change going forward but I voted for the ageless one.

Chronz
09-09-2015, 02:13 PM
Going Gasol but it is a lil worrisome that hes shot below 40% the last 2 playoff runs. I feel like Duncan is better in the playoffs and thats usually the tie breaker for me but at some point, that youth matters. Gasol will be the better player going forward, I think Duncan finally begins his drastic descent.

Clippersfan86
09-09-2015, 03:32 PM
Going Gasol but it is a lil worrisome that hes shot below 40% the last 2 playoff runs. I feel like Duncan is better in the playoffs and thats usually the tie breaker for me but at some point, that youth matters. Gasol will be the better player going forward, I think Duncan finally begins his drastic descent.

Isn't Gasol like 31 himself? He's declined each of the last two years. I know Duncan is 39 but after this last playoff run he just doesn't look like he's slowing yet.

I'd prefer Duncan on both ends of the floor assuming he doesn't drop off TOO much personally.

nycericanguy
09-09-2015, 04:19 PM
Wow this list is really bad... actual NBA players would laugh at this list.

Khawi is better than Butler?

DMC who has never won even 30 games in a season is better than Marc & Duncan? Why? Because he gets to shoot more and has a higher usage to put more more "numbers"? Reminds me of when people had Love as top 5 players for his empty stats... took everyone else a while to realize he wasn't a top 5 player or best PF.

Melo is the 3rd best SF on most lists, but now here he's going to be the 5th best on this list? Why because he had bad teams the last 2 years? But wait, that didn't apply to DMC?...lol

Chronz
09-09-2015, 04:28 PM
Isn't Gasol like 31 himself? He's declined each of the last two years. I know Duncan is 39 but after this last playoff run he just doesn't look like he's slowing yet.

I'd prefer Duncan on both ends of the floor assuming he doesn't drop off TOO much personally.

Thats much younger than Duncan, 31 is pretty much the prime days for bigs like him so any sort of decline has mostly come on the defensive end and thats OK given he was at a DPOY level not too long ago. He can afford to slip abit there, hes still among the better defenders in the game, easily the best passing C and I feel he attracts more attention and means more to his elite team. Hes just stuck with a frontcourt that doesn't space for him and a declining sidekick. I remember when Marc ate us up in a manner similar to Duncan, only with out the benefit of a terrific motion offense. He was the catalyst to everything his team did and without him, it would've been an easy series. As opposed to the grit games the Clips forced when their bigs were pups.

We saw how horrible their defense was in the 20 or so games they played without him 2 years ago and since then hes posted the highest scoring rate with an uptick in efficiency compared to his injured year. And he just posted his best raw playoff line individually. Thats definitely not a decline. His 40% shooting was bad but his microscopic turnover rate makes up for alot of that, which is insane considering how much he creates for his teammates.

Duncan is in the convo but I dont think it will be much of a conversation by the end of the year.

MELO 15
09-09-2015, 04:30 PM

DMC who has never won even 30 games in a season is better than Marc & Duncan? Why? Because he gets to shoot more and has a higher usage to put more more "numbers"? Reminds me of when people had Love as top 5 players for his empty stats... took everyone else a while to realize he wasn't a top 5 player or best PF.

Melo is the 3rd best SF on most lists, but now here he's going to be the 5th best on this list? Why because he had bad teams the last 2 years? But wait, that didn't apply to DMC?...lol

LMAO, Don't worry its Melo Hate. Its funny........You just have to let the hate manifest. They don't know any better.

Clippersfan86
09-09-2015, 04:34 PM
Thats much younger than Duncan, 31 is pretty much the prime days for bigs like him so any sort of decline has mostly come on the defensive end and thats OK given he was at a DPOY level not too long ago. He can afford to slip abit there, hes still among the better defenders in the game, easily the best passing C and I feel he attracts more attention and means more to his elite team. Hes just stuck with a frontcourt that doesn't space for him and a declining sidekick. I remember when Marc ate us up in a manner similar to Duncan, only with out the benefit of a terrific motion offense. He was the catalyst to everything his team did and without him, it would've been an easy series. As opposed to the grit games the Clips forced when their bigs were pups.

We saw how horrible their defense was in the 20 or so games they played without him 2 years ago and since then hes posted the highest scoring rate with an uptick in efficiency compared to his injured year. And he just posted his best raw playoff line individually. Thats definitely not a decline. His 40% shooting was bad but his microscopic turnover rate makes up for alot of that, which is insane considering how much he creates for his teammates.

Duncan is in the convo but I dont think it will be much of a conversation by the end of the year.

That's fair enough. I guess I'm putting more weight into recent playoff runs than the totality of things

Chronz
09-09-2015, 04:38 PM

Aside from the Cousins selection (which isn't that bad IMO), I dont think its a bad list at all. Cousins hasn't been motivated much but his team hasnt made it easy on him. We saw how dominant he could be during that admittedly small stretch to start the season but if he plays defense like that, you can live with his inefficiencies offensively. He wont be a superstar until he can dominate consistently and ups his efficiency in the process but hes got the talent.

I would have Duncan and Marc ahead of him, Melo too the more I think about it. Butler's defense dropped off this past year and while his offensive improvement was nice, it was inconsistent and seemed very dependent on whether D-Rose was around or not, whether Dunleavy was around to keep the bigger defenders at bay and spacing them out offensively. Kawhi won DPOY and turned a .500 squad into a title contender. Thats a legit impact.

flea
09-09-2015, 04:43 PM
I went Gasol too, but I think Duncan has a good shot at showing he's still as good as any big in the game. Other than Howard's brief flirtation with superstardom in a system tailor-made for his weaknesses, no big has really shown to me that he's someone I'd definitely take over current Duncan when the playoffs start. Both Gasols have come close, and I think they're both underrated over their careers.

I thought Marc was on the way to being better than his brother, now I'm not sure. They both have the same strengths (defense, passing, and versatility offensively) and weaknesses (rebounding/toughness, assertiveness as a scorer). Marc flashes a really good inside game, and shoots good percentages there, but might have a bit of Gasoft in him too. I'm not sure you can contend with him as your best scorer - but I know for sure if you give him a top 3 guard you've got a top 2-3 team.

He lost weight and I think he's going for the post-prime Duncan look, more activity on the P&Rs and playmaking from the high post in a more mobile frame. Thing is, Duncan was one of the 5 best rebounders ever to play the game when he dropped his weight and has remained one of the best. Gasol wasn't, and I think his boards and ability to work inside are going to pay for it a bit.

nycericanguy
09-09-2015, 04:53 PM
Just a couple of points about Marc's rebounding.

#1 he plays next to Zbo who gobbles up a ton of boards. There are only so many RPG to go around, look at how Blake's RPG have gone down as DJ has grown into a bigger role.

#2 Marc often runs plays from the top of the key. He's one of the better passing big men in the league, simply put he's not in position to grab that many rebounds in MEM's offense. He's a playmaker for them more than a rebounder. Zbo is the one down low.

Tony_Starks
09-09-2015, 08:39 PM
The Melo disrespect is real!

Melo is getting almost Kobe level disrespect without the career ending injuries to justify it....

Hawkeye15
09-09-2015, 08:55 PM
I missed the last 2....

Gasol here, for sure

MELO 15
09-09-2015, 09:41 PM

Melo is getting almost Kobe level disrespect without the career ending injuries to justify it....

there entitled to there HATE opinion. It's just funny. I want to see how long this is going to go on, as far as where some of these Haters will Rank him, knowing them, they'll probably put wade over Melo... LOL

Bruno
09-09-2015, 09:58 PM
Butler by a hair over Gasol for me.

Tony_Starks
09-09-2015, 10:54 PM

there entitled to there HATE opinion. It's just funny. I want to see how long this is going to go on, as far as where some of these Haters will Rank him, knowing them, they'll probably put wade over Melo... LOL

Hey man once I saw Olajuwon leapfrog Magic and Bird in the latest all time list it was official that these list are just sheer comedy,no rhyme or reason, strictly entertainment.

It is intriguing to see how ridiculous it can get tho. Maybe we can get Kyle Lowry over Melo.

Clippersfan86
09-09-2015, 11:19 PM
Just a couple of points about Marc's rebounding.

#1 he plays next to Zbo who gobbles up a ton of boards. There are only so many RPG to go around, look at how Blake's RPG have gone down as DJ has grown into a bigger role.

#2 Marc often runs plays from the top of the key. He's one of the better passing big men in the league, simply put he's not in position to grab that many rebounds in MEM's offense. He's a playmaker for them more than a rebounder. Zbo is the one down low.

Well... rebounding isn't a huge issue IMO and is overrated in many cases. But his situation is a bit different than Blake's.

1. Zbo is like a 10 rpg player, not the 15 rpg player DJ is.

2. Gasol is 7'1 player with good length, Blake is 6'9 with short arms.

Only point that I agree 100 percent with is like Blake he's often setting up from the top of the key and also taking jumpers to spread the floor, so it's harder to get inside and get position.

FlashBolt
09-11-2015, 02:43 PM
These votes for Wade are discouraging as hell. How and why?