PDA

View Full Version : What was the greatest missed NBA Finals match-up ever?

mrblisterdundee
09-05-2015, 03:26 AM
Some have mentioned the greatest finals match-up that never happened is Kobe Bryant and the Lakers versus LeBron James and the Cavaliers. That's a great match-up with prime Bryant and LeBron on the come-up, but I think there's another Finals I'd like to see more.
What is the greatest NBA finals match-up that never happened?
The Michael Jordan Chicago Bulls had one chance to meet the San Antonio Spurs with Tim Duncan and David Robinson in the 1997-98, but Karl Malone and John Stockton deservedly went on to face Jordan and Scottie Pippen.
Jordan was the MVP, and Duncan was Rookie of the Year. Robinson was still a 20 and 10 defensive anchor. Pippen was as good as ever. Sean Elliott had fallen of a cliff a couple years back. Imagine Dennis Rodman on Duncan in the finals.
Clyde Drexler and Hakeem Olajuwon never got a chance to meet Jordan and Pippen im the finals, either. That would have been epic, with Drexler still one of the best shooting guards and absolutely dominant Olajuwon.

Phantom Dreamer
09-05-2015, 03:32 AM
I'll bite, you're probably asking about actual teams, but I'd say Bulls, had MJ not retired vs the Rockets in 1994.

MTar786
09-05-2015, 06:12 AM
rockets bulls for sure. It should have happened in 95. lakers cavs in 09 would have been great to see. bulls lakers in 98 would have been amazing as well.

EuroGino
09-05-2015, 06:28 AM
Heat and Lakers in 2011 Lebron vs Kobe

the avenger
09-05-2015, 07:47 AM
Bulls vs Rockets in 1997

JasonJohnHorn
09-05-2015, 12:05 PM
It would have been nice to see P-Jax and Kobe take on Riley's LBJ+Wade Heat... or the Cavs v Lakers instead of Magic v Lakers.

I can't think to too many finals match-ups that we've missed.... we got to see Hakeem v Shaq and Hakeem v. Ewing (though it would have been nice to see D-Rob take on Ewing in the finals; Ewing was injured that year).

We've gotten to see other guys match-up in the playoffs, if not the finals.... so CP3 is the only guy I haven't seen in the finals that I'd like to.

kingsdelez24
09-05-2015, 12:20 PM
Imagine Gasol carrying over what he did in the 2010-2011 season into the playoffs. As much as I loved watching that Mavs team, I always wanted to know the outcome of that Lakers team against the heat

FlashBolt
09-05-2015, 02:42 PM
NBA's biggest debate is Kobe vs LeBron. Just the headlines coming into such a Finals match-up would have been amazing. I'm sure Larry vs Magic was special but Kobe vs LeBron in this day and age is probably the biggest one.