PDA

View Full Version : Current Top-10 Players in the NBA (#9)

Shammyguy3
09-01-2015, 08:21 PM
Choose from the poll options and debate who the current Top Ten best players in the NBA are. This should not be based on who had the best season last year, but rather who you would choose for a team in order to win right now.

Additional options will be added as we go along based on who will realistically receive votes at that level (or if players are requested in the thread).

1. Lebron (73% of the vote)
2. Durant (55% of the vote)
3. Curry (55% of the vote)
4. Davis (50% of the vote)
5. Harden (57% of the vote)
6. Paul (52% of the vote)
7. Westbrook (82% of the vote)
8. Griffin (59% of the vote)
9. ?

HandsOnTheWheel
09-01-2015, 08:41 PM
No Wade?

Shammyguy3
09-01-2015, 09:59 PM
No Wade?

i added him, even though it was pointless. There's no way he deserves nor would he get this spot ahead of a handful of guys on the list

tredigs
09-01-2015, 11:03 PM
I understand the reasoning, but as a Warriors fan, there's no reason Klay deserves a slot here. Draymond is easily above him for one. As far as the vote goes, give me Kawhi. Big game player who dominates defensively as much as anybody in the league. Marc took a slight step back, and frankly I still don't trust DMC. Kawhi's my guy here.

Clippersfan86
09-01-2015, 11:31 PM
I went Kawhi. As Tre said Marc is declining a bit and Cousins is a ticking time bomb at times and has subpar efficiency.

FlashBolt
09-02-2015, 12:55 AM
Melo's reputation is making me too stubborn to choose anyone else. I still think he's a top ten player, maybe not.

CarolinaKing
09-02-2015, 01:06 AM
gotta be melo here....not because he's "that" good, but because noone on the list is better at this point in their careers

tredigs
09-02-2015, 01:06 AM
Melo's reputation is making me too stubborn to choose anyone else. I still think he's a top ten player, maybe not.

Turn off ESPN and he is not. I make a lot of money off of his rep tho, that's for sure. Even offensively, not quite a top 10 player right now. Defensively? HA!

tredigs
09-02-2015, 01:08 AM
If you want some "inside info", Kawhi wipes the ****ing floor with Melo. Don't let PPG fool you kids.

FlashBolt
09-02-2015, 01:55 AM
Turn off ESPN and he is not. I make a lot of money off of his rep tho, that's for sure. Even offensively, not quite a top 10 player right now. Defensively? HA!

I did say maybe not. I'm letting my emotions get to me. I've been so attached to that 2003 class and it's hard for me to say goodbye to Wade/Melo and then Bosh/Bron. Offensively? I still think he is. Hard to tell how he comes back anyhow. Plus, I don't think I'd take Kawhi over a couple of guys here if I was looking to win. He completely screwed up vs the Clippers big time. Is he even the best player on the Spurs atm? Cause Tim still anchors that defense and with LMA there, Kawhi might be the 2nd/3rd option tbh.

EDUTEXANS
09-02-2015, 09:55 AM
This is easily the toughest one so far.

There are solid cases to be made for a lot of these guys. I'll stick with my opinion that individual defense isn't as important as offense when judging players based on their talent alone. And that this voting should be based on who's better right now, and not on a prediction of who will or could be better next season.

But I'll still need some time to think.

alexander_37
09-02-2015, 06:11 PM
Not sure how Cousins has gotten so overrated. He is probably the 3rd best C in the league. I would go Dwight/Gasol/Melo here.

MELO 15
09-02-2015, 07:03 PM
If you want some "inside info", Kawhi wipes the ****ing floor with Melo. Don't let PPG fool you kids.

STOP IT!:eyebrow:

Chronz
09-02-2015, 11:09 PM
Its Kawhi without a doubt. Duncan might be the "better" player but I dont think he can handle the same kind of minutes load going forward. Without Kawhi they are a .500 team.

JAZZNC
09-03-2015, 12:33 AM
Would I be completely crazy to suggest Paul George here given the fact that Durant landed at #2?

JLynn943
09-03-2015, 09:27 AM
Would I be completely crazy to suggest Paul George here given the fact that Durant landed at #2?

Not crazy at all. I think he deserves a place in this conversation above most of the people in the poll. I'd consider him at 10.

Shammyguy3
09-03-2015, 09:39 AM
in my head I lean towards Cousins, although I see the arguments for Kawhi and Marc as well

Clippersfan86
09-03-2015, 09:54 AM
Carmelo Anthony has 6? Ban Knicks fans from voting plz.

HeartOfStarks
09-03-2015, 03:53 PM
Melo. Obviously a bit homer but tough for me to put him outside top 10. If Kawhi & Marc G went 9 and 10 I can def see that (still think Melo's at worst top 12-15 but we'll see this year), but Boogie to me is the most overrated dude in the league right now. This'll be his 6th season and his team hasn't sniffed 500 once. He takes plays off when he's pissed and his efficiency/FG% for a center and TO rate all suck.

HeartOfStarks
09-03-2015, 03:58 PM
Carmelo Anthony has 6? Ban Knicks fans from voting plz.

Who did you vote for out of curiosity?

Clippersfan86
09-03-2015, 05:01 PM
Who did you vote for out of curiosity?

Kawhi

HeartOfStarks
09-03-2015, 05:04 PM
Kawhi

Gotchya, he is def a beast.

mngopher35
09-03-2015, 05:25 PM
I think my last two will be Kahwi and Cousins and I will give the slight edge to Kahwi here.

LakerShow
09-03-2015, 06:43 PM
gasol

Clippersfan86
09-03-2015, 07:05 PM
Gotchya, he is def a beast.

Melo is definitely underrated by non Knicks fans but I feel like at this point Kawhi has an all around bigger impact on games. Melo is more unstoppable when he gets going but I wouldn't trade that for Kawhi's efficiency or defensive edge.

Fowl Rick
09-04-2015, 12:00 AM
Were basing this off last season and how these players performed are we not? If thats the case Melo probably isn't top 15. For me its between Cousins Gasol and Leonard. I believe cousins is the most talented player of the 3 and put up the numbers to back it up. His stats look great playing on the lowly kings i know. But Love was dubbed the best PF after playing in minnesota…So Cousins it is

FlashBolt
09-04-2015, 12:04 AM
I'm kinda confused by the standard too. OP said to not base it off last season but that's not something we can do if we're evaluating a player. And if you're going to say "who you think would help you contend", what kind of team are we given to begin with? I don't think Leonard would do as well as a 1st option and if you took him out of the Spurs. He'd get killed if he had to lead a team as a 1st option type of player. He's never going to be a 1st option player on a team anyhow because he's too quiet.

tredigs
09-04-2015, 12:16 AM
I'm kinda confused by the standard too. OP said to not base it off last season but that's not something we can do if we're evaluating a player. And if you're going to say "who you think would help you contend", what kind of team are we given to begin with? I don't think Leonard would do as well as a 1st option and if you took him out of the Spurs. He'd get killed if he had to lead a team as a 1st option type of player. He's never going to be a 1st option player on a team anyhow because he's too quiet.

Pretty silly reasoning there. There are countless "quiet" leaders. You also don't need your best player to be your best scorer (PS: He is the Spurs top scorer/#1 option), not sure why you don't think he could be the best player on a championship team.

The idea of "not basing it solely on last season" is to take a broader look at these players + where they stand from a dominance standpoint and not just who had the best season. Otherwise Durant for example doesn't crack the top 5, which wouldn't be right. If the season starts today he's a top 5 player.

Sadds The Gr8
09-04-2015, 01:07 AM
I got laughed at in the mock for saying Kawhi is arguably top 10 and he's gonna get a top 10 spot here...

kdspurman
09-04-2015, 07:47 AM

Tim Duncan disagrees...

I disagree on thinking Kawhi isn't capable of being a 1st option, but to each their own. When he first came in, he definitely didn't have it in him. But his game has grown a lot, and he's a crazy workhorse who is always working on improving his game. He's got it in him.

ManRam
09-04-2015, 10:37 AM
Dray should be on here ahead of Klay.

Edit: as Tre said.

I voted Boogie but my heart's not in it. Kawhi's probably the better choice. I just have Boogie Fever now that he defends.

mavwar53
09-04-2015, 11:19 AM
Wow, Melo is a 1 way, selfish player that has never been a winner, he can't even take a NY to the playoffs in the weak east. I'd consider him 20-25 at best.

Gotta go with Kawhi here

Corey
09-04-2015, 11:50 AM
Im honestly shocked that Melo is near leading this vote.

Cousins, Kawhi, Gasol or Aldridge.

I went Cousins.

FlashBolt
09-04-2015, 10:37 PM
Pretty silly reasoning there. There are countless "quiet" leaders. You also don't need your best player to be your best scorer (PS: He is the Spurs top scorer/#1 option), not sure why you don't think he could be the best player on a championship team.

The idea of "not basing it solely on last season" is to take a broader look at these players + where they stand from a dominance standpoint and not just who had the best season. Otherwise Durant for example doesn't crack the top 5, which wouldn't be right. If the season starts today he's a top 5 player.

How many of those quiet leaders went on to become a champion? Specifically, when did he show that he was capable of leading a team outside of the Spurs? Never had. Last playoffs, he was a huge reason why the Spurs lost. He was just terrible in the remaining three or four games. This question lacks material. "Who will we pick if we wanted to win now"? Does that assume Kawhi will play for the Knicks or what team are we exactly placing them on? Because I don't think Kawhi will generate more wins than Melo while playing on that Knicks team.

Tim Duncan disagrees...

I disagree on thinking Kawhi isn't capable of being a 1st option, but to each their own. When he first came in, he definitely didn't have it in him. But his game has grown a lot, and he's a crazy workhorse who is always working on improving his game. He's got it in him.

There's a huge difference between Duncan and Kawhi personalities. Duncan isn't quiet at all, he just lacks emotion. Kawhi is REALLY quiet and lacks emotion. I haven't seen him become a 1st option and he hasn't shown that he can be that player. Playing for the Spurs would make Melo look better too, no?

kdspurman
09-05-2015, 01:28 PM
How many of those quiet leaders went on to become a champion? Specifically, when did he show that he was capable of leading a team outside of the Spurs? Never had. Last playoffs, he was a huge reason why the Spurs lost. He was just terrible in the remaining three or four games. This question lacks material. "Who will we pick if we wanted to win now"? Does that assume Kawhi will play for the Knicks or what team are we exactly placing them on? Because I don't think Kawhi will generate more wins than Melo while playing on that Knicks team.

There's a huge difference between Duncan and Kawhi personalities. Duncan isn't quiet at all, he just lacks emotion. Kawhi is REALLY quiet and lacks emotion. I haven't seen him become a 1st option and he hasn't shown that he can be that player. Playing for the Spurs would make Melo look better too, no?

Duncan doesn't lack emotion per say. He just doesn't show it the way others do. And for the most part, he is a quiet dude, & especially early on in his career. He really lead by example, and as he progressed became a bit more vocal in the huddles and locker room. Duncan always jokes how quiet Kawhi is and how he's even quieter than him. There are some similarities between the 2 and how they operate on the court.

Kawhi is quiet, and yet can dominate a game. There's nothing that says you have to be vocal or beat your chest to be a leader or be a successful 1st option. Game on the line, there's probably no one else on the Spurs I'd want with the ball to create their own shot. He has had a number of games where he was the first option due to DNP's from other guys, but you'd have to watch the Spurs all season to notice it, so if you don't, then it's understandable for you to think it's not possible. But to say it isn't would be highly inaccurate. I think people get too caught up with ppg sometimes, w/o realizing the system he's playing in doesn't really call for a ball dominant guy. Yes, he struggled at the end of the Clips series, what great player hasn't had a series where they struggled? How many games was WB the reason OKC lost some games? It happens....

Nevertheless he has shown many times that he can be that guy when needed. I've seen it