PDA

View Full Version : Clippers Sign Chuck Hayes

Clippersfan86
08-31-2015, 07:46 PM
Minimum, 1 year deal. First broken by Aries Spears of Yahoo sports. Does he have anything left in the tank? I know Blake's first 2 or 3 years Chuck gave him more issues on defense than anyone. Good locker room 3rd big I suppose.

Hawkeye15
08-31-2015, 07:52 PM
haven't watched him play for a couple of years, but he was always a smart defender.

bucketss
08-31-2015, 07:55 PM
his post defense is still good, great locker room guy. but other than that he doesn't bring much, i get a chuckle watching him miss wide open layups

Htownballa1622
08-31-2015, 10:08 PM
How long until clips sign kostas papanickalou and Joey dorsey?

Lol.

Best of luck to chugwagon. If he were 6 11 he'd be a dpoy candidate every year.

GiantsSwaGG
08-31-2015, 10:09 PM
Dude is like 5'11 playing center

Arch Stanton
08-31-2015, 10:25 PM
Good veteran signing.

JasonJohnHorn
08-31-2015, 10:31 PM
Even if he's only going to be spellin' DaJ or Blake when they are in foul trouble, it's great to have a guy like that on the end of your bench.

Clippersfan86
08-31-2015, 11:11 PM
Even if he's only going to be spellin' DaJ or Blake when they are in foul trouble, it's great to have a guy like that on the end of your bench.

Funny thing is he still would of been our 2nd best bench player last year.

Crawford
Rivers
Hedo
Baby
Hawes

to

Crawford
Stephenson
Smith
Aldrich
Hayes
Dawsen
Wes Johnson
Rivers

mightybosstone
09-01-2015, 08:13 AM
Jesus. Is Doc just so bad at his job that he'll sign any player Morey has previously signed or has shown the slightest bit of interest in? Is Royce White still in the league? He'll probably be getting a phone call next.

MonroeFAN
09-01-2015, 09:49 AM
How is this worthy of general NBA space?

Clippersfan86
09-01-2015, 10:18 AM

You of all people? lol

Chronz
09-01-2015, 10:24 AM
Jesus. Is Doc just so bad at his job that he'll sign any player Morey has previously signed or has shown the slightest bit of interest in? Is Royce White still in the league? He'll probably be getting a phone call next.
Yes. They were reportedly in talks with White too. But we were trying to sign Josh Smith before he signed with y'all. But If you're going to imitate anyone it's him.

As for Hayes. I'm sure Blake told him their history

MonroeFAN
09-01-2015, 10:58 AM

You of all people? lol

Sorry. You're a nice guy, I just think your team is stupid. A lot of clipper discussion lately.

MonroeFAN
09-01-2015, 11:00 AM
Curious though, this isn't an impactful signing, why would you put it here instead of the clipper forum.

Clippersfan86
09-01-2015, 11:32 AM
Curious though, this isn't an impactful signing, why would you put it here instead of the clipper forum.

Well there are only a few Clippers fans here and that forum is rarely used for one. Secondly... what criteria should we set for general board? Every thread is pretty much about specific teams and players. Should those be sent to team forums and the general forum deleted? Also... I didn't know we could only talk about star signings here. Also a lot of Clippers discussion? One other Clippers thread about CP3/Blake as a duo, that's it.

Clippersfan86
09-01-2015, 11:37 AM
Also I don't know how much or how little Impact Hayes has. I know he was a good role player 2-3 years ago and a great defender. I know he has injury woes but is he completely done now? That's why I asked.

MonroeFAN
09-01-2015, 12:49 PM
Fair enough, sorry for being rude.

joshhorvath
09-01-2015, 01:07 PM

good for apologizing. think first

joshhorvath
09-01-2015, 01:12 PM
Also I don't know how much or how little Impact Hayes has. I know he was a good role player 2-3 years ago and a great defender. I know he has injury woes but is he completely done now? That's why I asked.

ive been waiting for this SOB to sign somewhere! i honestly thought he was gonna retire..

anyway. as you know.. or you should know, Hayes has spent the past few years in Toronto. He has mainly been the 3rd Centre on the chart.. but he really impresses with what he has. He wont get you 10+ rebounds a game, maybe not even consistent 6+, he wont do anything for you on offense, if he lobs a shot in, you better be happy. But what i like about Hayes, he's one hell of a defender.. the way he plays the best centres in this league, he's fun to watch. He's also a great mentor for any younger players you may have.

joshhorvath
09-01-2015, 01:13 PM
If you want more in depth, come visit us in the Raptors forum, i know we'd be more then happy to answer any questions/concerns you may have with your new/kinda old toy.

phantasyyy
09-01-2015, 01:16 PM
He is a great, great locker room presence. Although he didn't play much for the Raptors last year, you could see him tutoring JV, Amir, and Pattman on positioning on defense and where to be and what not.

As an emergency big he does have value in the sense that he is a different look you can throw out against the big bruising bigs that still like to pound it down low. He is immovable as it gets down there and is still a pretty good rebounder despite his size. Key memory for me with him was that Memphis game in which Gasol was having his way with JV and Casey decided to insert Chuck against Gasol. He held his own against Gasol leading the comeback.

That said, watching him on offense is pretty funny when he misses his layups and floaters :D You could definitely do worst that Chucky for the minimum.. Solid pickup imo, great locker room presence

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-01-2015, 02:13 PM

Yeah the same thought crossed my mind but didn't want to be rude. lol Should just be 1 free agent thread for bottom of the barrel junk guys. Heck a couple years back I made a thread in NBA board about Moute and it got moved to the Bucks board like instantly. Guess the Clipper fans want to be in the PSD spot light. Clippers are just spinning their wheels anyway like the Hawks been doing last 10 years.

Clippersfan86
09-01-2015, 02:27 PM

Apology accepted brother, no worries. Have a good day.

Clippersfan86
09-01-2015, 02:34 PM
Yeah the same thought crossed my mind but didn't want to be rude. lol Should just be 1 free agent thread for bottom of the barrel junk guys. Heck a couple years back I made a thread in NBA board about Moute and it got moved to the Bucks board like instantly. Guess the Clipper fans want to be in the PSD spot light. Clippers are just spinning their wheels anyway like the Hawks been doing last 10 years.

If there was a stickied thread for this, I'd put it there. I made one last year for all FA signings and nobody used it. Regardless of what happens people are going to just make new threads.

You think threads like "Is Anthony Davis soft?" are more general discussion worthy than role players signing with teams? It's a slippery slope to try to moderate how important or relevant basketball things are. I can easily argue that 90+ percent of the threads in general are team specific and therefor "irrelevant" by your standards.

I'm one Clippers fan and quite frankly the other 3 or 4 regular Clippers fans are a lot more chill and less confrontational than I am, so don't generalize them because of me. Also Clippers and Hawks of few years ago are very different teams. If those Hawks were in the west when it's this brutal they would of had trouble making the playoffs arguably and be 1st round exits otherwise IMO.

MonroeFAN
09-01-2015, 02:38 PM

good for apologizing. think first

I will.

Clippersfan86
09-01-2015, 02:40 PM
Clippers of the last few years would dismantle those Hawks teams in 5 games. Hawks actually had a negative SRS in many of the recent seasons. In 2010 they peaked at 4.4 in the Josh Smith/Joe Johnson era. To give you an idea... the Clippers have been around 5-7 SRS the entire CP3 era (besides lockout season) and even the Hawks of this year that won 60 were under 5.0 SRS. Clippers are at two years running the 2nd best SRS and differential in the NBA.

So please don't make bad comparisons.

Clippersfan86
09-01-2015, 02:43 PM
I love Raptors fans. Never met one that wasn't classy. Thanks for the info guys.

Clippersfan86
09-01-2015, 02:46 PM
He is a great, great locker room presence. Although he didn't play much for the Raptors last year, you could see him tutoring JV, Amir, and Pattman on positioning on defense and where to be and what not.

As an emergency big he does have value in the sense that he is a different look you can throw out against the big bruising bigs that still like to pound it down low. He is immovable as it gets down there and is still a pretty good rebounder despite his size. Key memory for me with him was that Memphis game in which Gasol was having his way with JV and Casey decided to insert Chuck against Gasol. He held his own against Gasol leading the comeback.

That said, watching him on offense is pretty funny when he misses his layups and floaters :D You could definitely do worst that Chucky for the minimum.. Solid pickup imo, great locker room presence

Yea I saw his shooting/finishing is pretty comically bad. What you said he gives is pretty much all I can hope for as a fan. Locker room leader/vet who mentors and plays tough defense. I feel like Blake Griffin probably had a hand in this. Chuck used to shut Griffin down completely his first two seasons. In year 3 Griffin finally started having his way with Chuck more with improved shot and post game. I'm pumped to see our most talented squad ever. Went from HORRIFIC bench to possibly a top bench in league IF guys like Lance pan out.

R. Johnson#3
09-01-2015, 02:55 PM
The guy hustles on D and is pretty decent for a 3rd big. He's also GREAT at setting screens.

Saddletramp
09-02-2015, 06:05 AM
Loved the Chuckwagon in Houston. Like my fellow Rockets fan mentioned earlier, if he was 7 feet tall, he'd be a serious DPOY candidate every year.

I doubt he makes the squad, though as I think that'll hard cap the Clippers. You never know, though.

Gander13SM
09-02-2015, 04:56 PM
Why does a signing like this have its own thread? Are we to discuss (in depth) the signing of every scrub and washed up has-been in their own individual thread?

goingfor28
09-04-2015, 04:16 AM
Why does a signing like this have its own thread? Are we to discuss (in depth) the signing of every scrub and washed up has-been in their own individual thread?
Great input. Has absolutely zero to do with the topic.

Here's an idea: if you aren't a fan of the thread topic, don't read it or comment. Just leave it alone or mark it as read.

Gander13SM
09-04-2015, 05:14 AM
Great input. Has absolutely zero to do with the topic.

Here's an idea: if you aren't a fan of the thread topic, don't read it or comment. Just leave it alone or mark it as read.

And how does your post add anything? The thread had died (rightly so) nobody had posted in a long time and you bump it just to cause an argument and flame?

Hypocritical.

HouRealCoach
09-04-2015, 06:27 AM
This is a great signing! He is a damn good rebounder and defender and one of the best at drawing charges. Nothing wrong with having a player like that on your team

OlivaThor
09-04-2015, 07:12 AM
Always liked Chuck. Strong as a bull and great 1 on 1 defender. Lol at people pissed about threads of nba players signing with new teams.

Clippersfan86
09-04-2015, 08:51 AM
Always liked Chuck. Strong as a bull and great 1 on 1 defender. Lol at people pissed about threads of nba players signing with new teams.

You can only talk about if players are "soft". Or you are off topic!

Kashmir13579
09-04-2015, 09:26 AM
Stacked.

Kashmir13579
09-04-2015, 09:27 AM

You of all people? lol people know about and like Chuck Hayes as of not that long ago

Clippersfan86
09-04-2015, 09:28 AM

Oh and they have to be star players to talk about. If it's not a star player it belongs in the team forums (most of which are dead)!

Clippersfan86
09-04-2015, 09:32 AM
Stacked.

Best roster Clippers have ever had. Last year they had a historically bad bench on both ends with Crawford, Rivers, Baby, Hedo and Hawes.

Now it's Stephenson, J Smith, Crawford, Aldrich, Prigioni, Hayes, Wes Johnson, Dawsen (dominated summer league, looks very NBA ready).

IF Stephenson bounces back and Smith can match his Rockets production that could be a top bench. I'd rather have question marks of chemistry than no talent though.

Gander13SM
09-04-2015, 01:44 PM
I honestly think behind the scenes, the Clippers are the most dysfunctional franchise in the league. Balmer apparently has no idea what he's doing, saw a journalist refer to it as "The NBAs best kept secret" and went on to say he was a much nicer person than Sterling but twice as incompetent.

Can't wait to see what happens next.

deaner
09-04-2015, 02:26 PM
I watched chuck all last year. This signing isn't about his screens or post defense... It's all about the clubhouse and what chuck can provide to a volatile roster.

Clippersfan86
09-04-2015, 03:08 PM
I honestly think behind the scenes, the Clippers are the most dysfunctional franchise in the league. Balmer apparently has no idea what he's doing, saw a journalist refer to it as "The NBAs best kept secret" and went on to say he was a much nicer person than Sterling but twice as incompetent.

LOL! Bill Simmons a journalist now? He's a known Clippers troll. He's had season tickets 11 years but has spent the entire CP3 era ripping the team and starting rumors. Hes the one who started the whole "Blake and CP3 hate each other" and now the "CP3 and DJ hate each other", both had very small grains of truth with a lot of BS. Sure they clash at times like all competitors but would guys who hate each other be going to parties together, BBQ's, baseball games etc? Makes ZERO sense. Those smart enough to dig it up for themselves know that Simmons loves stirring **** up, often unsubstantiated. A big reason why he's now unemployed by BSPN.

Clippersfan86
09-04-2015, 03:13 PM
I watched chuck all last year. This signing isn't about his screens or post defense... It's all about the clubhouse and what chuck can provide to a volatile roster.

Pretty much. So many strong personalities that you NEED guys to regulate like Pierce and Hayes. It's not even because they are bad people, it's just a lot of passion in that locker room. I can't think of any great teams besides maybe the Spurs that didn't need locker room vets to keep teammates in check to some degree.

phantasyyy
09-04-2015, 06:21 PM
Best roster Clippers have ever had. Last year they had a historically bad bench on both ends with Crawford, Rivers, Baby, Hedo and Hawes.

Now it's Stephenson, J Smith, Crawford, Aldrich, Prigioni, Hayes, Wes Johnson, Dawsen (dominated summer league, looks very NBA ready).

IF Stephenson bounces back and Smith can match his Rockets production that could be a top bench. I'd rather have question marks of chemistry than no talent though.

Did Rivers also resign with the team also or is a Free Agent currently? Who ran the backup PG duties last year btw, running a blank was it him/crawford?

2deep at all positions currently - should be a big year for them, i think its the year we finally see the CP3 get to that conf/nba finals..

Clippersfan86
09-04-2015, 06:49 PM
Did Rivers also resign with the team also or is a Free Agent currently? Who ran the backup PG duties last year btw, running a blank was it him/crawford?

2deep at all positions currently - should be a big year for them, i think its the year we finally see the CP3 get to that conf/nba finals..

It was Crawford a lot before Rivers was acquired midseason. Rivers was huge in the playoffs and I'm looking forward to see if he worked more on PG skills and shooting this summer. I think so too. We can't keep being the team that is in the discussion then has some crazy bad luck, choking etc in the end. Clippers need to at least win to the point to where fans can say they at least lost leaving everything on the table, no excuse. The way they lose leaves lots of room for moral victories and I don't like feeling like I'm justifying it.

Gander13SM
09-05-2015, 07:52 AM
LOL! Bill Simmons a journalist now? He's a known Clippers troll. He's had season tickets 11 years but has spent the entire CP3 era ripping the team and starting rumors. Hes the one who started the whole "Blake and CP3 hate each other" and now the "CP3 and DJ hate each other", both had very small grains of truth with a lot of BS. Sure they clash at times like all competitors but would guys who hate each other be going to parties together, BBQ's, baseball games etc? Makes ZERO sense. Those smart enough to dig it up for themselves know that Simmons loves stirring **** up, often unsubstantiated. A big reason why he's now unemployed by BSPN.

No offense but I fully expect a Clippers fan to say exactly what you said.

goingfor28
09-05-2015, 08:12 AM

Is that you, Bill?

Clippersfan86
09-05-2015, 09:58 AM
No offense but I fully expect a Clippers fan to say exactly what you said.

Or as a fan who reads every single Clippers related thing maybe concede that I know my team better than you? Look man there have been moments like on every team, but it's WAY blown out of proportion. Ralph Lawler literally laughed recently in a radio interview at how preposterous it was that the Clippers were on ESPN's list of dysfunctional teams. Why does a team spend so much time together off the court if they hate each other? You still haven't answered that. On court they yell at each other, off court they are close. Similar to Westbrook and Durant that way.

Gander13SM
09-05-2015, 06:15 PM
I also think Westbrook/KD is dysfunctional behind the scenes. Similar to Pippen and Jordan in late 80s/early 90s. They hated each other with a passion.

And I don't always agree with Simmons but I respect his opinion.

And you see it as you knowing your team better, I see it as your emotions and favoritism clouding your judgement. Depends where you're sitting I guess.

Clippersfan86
09-05-2015, 06:54 PM
I also think Westbrook/KD is dysfunctional behind the scenes. Similar to Pippen and Jordan in late 80s/early 90s. They hated each other with a passion.

And I don't always agree with Simmons but I respect his opinion.

And you see it as you knowing your team better, I see it as your emotions and favoritism clouding your judgement. Depends where you're sitting I guess.

That may be a factor. Still doesn't explain why our team hangs out off the court more than most teams in the NBA if they don't like being around each other. It was just two years ago when reporters talked about how much of a family the locker room was. Don't believe everything you hear.

Gander13SM
09-06-2015, 12:59 AM
That may be a factor. Still doesn't explain why our team hangs out off the court more than most teams in the NBA if they don't like being around each other. It was just two years ago when reporters talked about how much of a family the locker room was. Don't believe everything you hear.

It's what we choose to believe that matters. You say "don't believe everything you hear" right after saying the media were talking about the Clips were one big happy family... see where I'm going with this?

Maybe it's the cynic in me. But the media only shows what the franchise wants it to show. That's always been the case. Again, the Bulls are a fine example of this, nobody wanted to show Jordans team mates breaking down into tears in the locker room or threatening to fight each other. Nobody wanted to talk about how Jordan used to say "The white guys don't have any skill but ateast they'll give you 100%". Nobody wanted to talk about how he went for a round of golf before every game and even skipped practices to do so.

Sometimes these things will leak in the media. Sometimes we won't find out about a lot of them until years after the fact.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Clippersfan86
09-06-2015, 09:48 AM
It's what we choose to believe that matters. You say "don't believe everything you hear" right after saying the media were talking about the Clips were one big happy family... see where I'm going with this?

Maybe it's the cynic in me. But the media only shows what the franchise wants it to show. That's always been the case. Again, the Bulls are a fine example of this, nobody wanted to show Jordans team mates breaking down into tears in the locker room or threatening to fight each other. Nobody wanted to talk about how Jordan used to say "The white guys don't have any skill but ateast they'll give you 100%". Nobody wanted to talk about how he went for a round of golf before every game and even skipped practices to do so.

Sometimes these things will leak in the media. Sometimes we won't find out about a lot of them until years after the fact.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Well I don't disagree that much of what goes on in a locker room doesn't get out till much later. The truth likely lies in the middle somewhere of our two opposite views. Probably a decent, not horrible or great locker room. Like most teams.

zn23
09-07-2015, 01:48 PM
Chuck Hayes is the worst player I've ever seen, dare I say at any level? There are High School Players that could come into the league and perform better than Chuck. This guys role is to draw fouls and try and pick up charges. He had difficulties scoring near the basket when he was wide open.The only other player that could rival him in uselessness is Kendrick Perkins.

Chronz
09-07-2015, 02:23 PM
If you're not a fan of the Chuck wagon then you don't know nba basketball. Sure you can pick on them now but there was a time when Perk and Hayes were feared post defenders. They tracked super stops back then (1 v 1 stops in the post) and Hayes was among the lg leaders. The difference was he could defend on the perimeter as well. Alongside Yao he was the perfect defensive compliment. If he could shoot he would have been Draymond green before dre. He's been awful for a few years but he was once a very serviceable rotation guy.

Chronz
09-07-2015, 02:24 PM
But yes he's a horrible finisher inside, its actually why i take pride in how often Tmac got him open layups. Tmac was truly an underrated passer

Clippersfan86
09-07-2015, 03:31 PM
But yes he's a horrible finisher inside, its actually why i take pride in how often Tmac got him open layups. Tmac was truly an underrated passer

Speaking of passing... I was watching film and was shocked at how good of a passer HAYES is considering I had never heard much about his passing. Guess he averaged about 3 apg like 3 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL-fGH62NvU

Honestly much like a couple other signings, I have low expectations. If he can help us get a key stop or charge occasionally and make smart passes, he's earned his pay IMO. I'm not expecting a big impact obviously. I think his bigger impact will be with the locker room and Blake+DJ's fundamentals.

Clippersfan86
09-07-2015, 03:33 PM
Chuck Hayes is the worst player I've ever seen, dare I say at any level? There are High School Players that could come into the league and perform better than Chuck. This guys role is to draw fouls and try and pick up charges. He had difficulties scoring near the basket when he was wide open.The only other player that could rival him in uselessness is Kendrick Perkins.

And yet his metrics are still around league average DESPITE being a really mediocre offensive player. Your post doesn't once mention defense, so hard to take it seriously when the guy you're discussing is known as a defense guy. Next you're going to say Tony Allen is the worst player you've ever seen? Because he's basically in the same mold as a wing. Great defender, horrendous offensive player who can't hit easy layups.