PDA

View Full Version : Brons charity will donate 41M to send 1100 Kids to College

Chronz
08-31-2015, 03:59 PM
http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/lebron-james-college-scholarships-akron-university-cavaliers-i-promise-081315

Say what you will but has any 1 player meant more to his city/team than this guy? 41M is incredible.

LakersIn5
08-31-2015, 04:25 PM
Respect

Hawkeye15
08-31-2015, 04:34 PM
A lot of guys are big into charity, but that amount of money is awesome. Helps a ton of kids.

pacofunk64
08-31-2015, 04:34 PM
Awesome! What sucks is a few bad charities or some bad apples have somewhat ruined it for me in giving to charities. Never know where my money is going. Like Red Cross.

ghettosean
08-31-2015, 04:36 PM
That's awesome... It would be cool to say Lebron put me through college... Lol

Good to see him giving back to the community

xbrackattackx
08-31-2015, 05:45 PM
I think Kobes charity is a little better than Lebrons. ;)

Jkjkjk

This is a amazing feat! And everyone who helped with this deserves a "you're awesome!" In my book. That's a lot of money to help students who may not have attended because of tuition prices.

ManningToTyree
08-31-2015, 05:46 PM
Very cool

D-Leethal
08-31-2015, 06:40 PM
I dog facets of LeBron's game and fragile psyche but seems like a truly awesome human being - bravo Bron Bron.

deaner
08-31-2015, 06:53 PM
Not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, not six.... We finally found out what he was talking about.

goingfor28
08-31-2015, 08:01 PM
This is nice

nandovelez
08-31-2015, 08:05 PM
I have a big problem with the cost tho that's ridiculous for 1100 kids smh but cool lebrons doin it

Vincent33
08-31-2015, 08:22 PM
Thats a **** ton of money, would expect more than 1100 kids to go to college for that. What the ****. Good on LeBron though, awesome stuff.

Raidaz4Life
08-31-2015, 08:29 PM
yeah the real issue here is that you can only send 1100 kids to college with 41m.

pebloemer
08-31-2015, 08:57 PM
I saw this a while back and thought of Michael Scott from The Office. To actually be able to do this and follow through is incredible though. Simply amazing commitment to his community.

FlashBolt
08-31-2015, 09:03 PM
Just wanted to point that LeBron isn't personally forking over the entire $41 million; his foundation involving many sponsors are. That's just about the only negative thing I have to say regarding this. I don't think you can find anyone who truly thinks LeBron is a terrible person. He just continues to become an influence in areas outside of BB.

Saddletramp
09-01-2015, 12:20 AM
Great story; good for all involved.

mikekhelxD
09-01-2015, 12:27 AM
Thats a **** ton of money, would expect more than 1100 kids to go to college for that. What the ****. Good on LeBron though, awesome stuff.

Averages to about ~38k per student. I dont know how much college in other states, but that wont even cover the tution for a 4 year undergraduate in a UC system here in Cali. However, state University can very well be covered with maybe housing/food. I do agree that it is disgusting that education cost so much in this country.

Quinnsanity
09-01-2015, 01:20 AM
41 million actually seems low to send 1,100 kids to college. Divide them and you get around $37,000 per kid. Ohio State's in-state tuition is around $10,000 per year and room and board is around $11,000 per year. So we probably aren't talking full rides here. I am by no means attempting to belittle what LeBron is doing here. It is an incredible gesture. Just pointing out the math.

FlashBolt
09-01-2015, 01:39 AM
41 million actually seems low to send 1,100 kids to college. Divide them and you get around $37,000 per kid. Ohio State's in-state tuition is around $10,000 per year and room and board is around $11,000 per year. So we probably aren't talking full rides here. I am by no means attempting to belittle what LeBron is doing here. It is an incredible gesture. Just pointing out the math.

"The scholarship will cover tuition and the university's general service fee currently $9,500 per year. James told ESPN he plans to provide this for 1,100 kids, which would cost his foundation a total of $41.8 million at the school's current rates."

His foundation has a partnership with the UoAkron and LeBron has a relationship with them personally. Pretty sure they worked a deal out that benefited both parties.

Tony_Starks
09-01-2015, 12:07 PM
Outside of the court Lebron is or should be the most respected superstar in sports. Didn't hesitate at all to speak up on Trayvon Martin murder, was front and center in the black lives matter movement, isn't afraid to confront social issues unlike a lot of high profile athletes of his stature who feared endorsement repercussions (MJ). Also a involved family man, gives back to his city, very savy businessman and didn't forget his day 1 boys...etc.

Any of my critiques are about his game and mental approach to the game but Lebron the person seems like a pretty stand up dude!

Hawkeye15
09-01-2015, 04:23 PM
Outside of the court Lebron is or should be the most respected superstar in sports. Didn't hesitate at all to speak up on Trayvon Martin murder, was front and center in the black lives matter movement, isn't afraid to confront social issues unlike a lot of high profile athletes of his stature who feared endorsement repercussions (MJ). Also a involved family man, gives back to his city, very savy businessman and didn't forget his day 1 boys...etc.

Any of my critiques are about his game and mental approach to the game but Lebron the person seems like a pretty stand up dude!

agreed, but he is no JJ Watt :)

jerellh528
09-01-2015, 06:10 PM

The bolded are a few things I have bits of issues with in him, and others. But that's a discussion for another day.
As for his organization, that's awesome they're helping kids to college. A lot of entertainers and athletes are the faces for great charity organizations that do good for the communities and or globally. They all receive great deductions and publicity, but still the heart has to be there I would think.
As for a guy I think is genuinely a fantastic person, I would have to say John cena(wwe). Dude is like a saint it seems

More-Than-Most
09-01-2015, 06:34 PM
The bolded are a few things I have bits of issues with in him, and others. But that's a discussion for another day.
As for his organization, that's awesome they're helping kids to college. A lot of entertainers and athletes are the faces for great charity organizations that do good for the communities and or globally. They all receive great deductions and publicity, but still the heart has to be there I would think.
As for a guy I think is genuinely a fantastic person, I would have to say John cena(wwe). Dude is like a saint it seems

I dont think anyone gives more than John Cena... I love James and this is amazing no Doubt but its not 41 million out of his pocket and I agree with what you bolded because I have similar issues with that.... That all being said this is an amazing gesture but like others have said... 37000 dollars should be enough for a comfortable school experiance but its probably not and that in itself is a much much bigger issue if this country wants to further itself.

Raps18-19 Champ
09-01-2015, 09:37 PM
John Cena > Lebron James.

Jamiecballer
09-01-2015, 10:09 PM
Can we stick to actual sports here people

Raps18-19 Champ
09-01-2015, 10:22 PM
Floyd Mayweather.

GoferKing_
09-02-2015, 08:52 AM
41m for just 1100 kids?? This is worng on soooooo many levels....

mightybosstone
09-02-2015, 08:56 AM

I was going to say the exact same thing. College is ridiculously expensive. I graduated five years ago with $42,000 in student loan debt, and that was with my grandparents paying for tuition and dorm costs my first two years.

FlashBolt
09-02-2015, 01:46 PM
I was going to say the exact same thing. College is ridiculously expensive. I graduated five years ago with $42,000 in student loan debt, and that was with my grandparents paying for tuition and dorm costs my first two years.

The math is stated on the website provided. Whether or not it is accurate, someone has to find out. But this school does have a partnership with LeBron's foundation. So I'm assuming that they get more students and will just pack a couple of extra kids into those classrooms.

Jamiecballer
09-02-2015, 04:11 PM
^ Yes, its imperative we find out