PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody else think Anthony Davis soft??

Ty Fast
08-27-2015, 09:16 PM
I keep hearing about how great he is gonna be but it seems to me he is always hurt. He got hurt in the warm up last year.

da ThRONe
08-27-2015, 09:27 PM
Overrated I'd say yes. Soft not so much. Getting nicked IMO isn't an indication of toughness. Word is he's up to 250. Not sure if he can play at that weight all season but if he can it should help a lot of those little injuries.

slaker619
08-27-2015, 09:35 PM
He's not soft or overrated

2-ONE-5
08-28-2015, 08:49 AM
im not sure OP knows what the term soft means

D-Leethal
08-28-2015, 11:05 AM
Neither of the above. A lot of young superstars players are "injury prone" because they are handled like delicate children by their franchises. They are prized possessions and need to be protected.

And if you meant soft as in Pau Gasol soft, we have yet to see AD be tested to know if he is soft or not.

FlashBolt
08-28-2015, 04:20 PM
You're confusing mentality with his physical body.
Mentally? I don't think he's soft. Too early to tell anyways.
Physically? Still too early to tell. He had dealt with injuries before but it wasn't as if it was serious. Didn't Blake sit out an entire season and then went on to play nearly three full seasons?

SeoulBeatz
08-28-2015, 04:34 PM
He's not soft or overrated

^ this.

The guy is a freak and the game tape proves it. His impact on both sides of the ball is tremendous. Best big in the league and he's only 22 years old.

Gander13SM
08-29-2015, 04:38 AM
He's added 12lbs of muscle apparently. I can see him being healthy more.

I don't think being injured makes you soft. Soft, imo, is more to do with mentality. It doesn't matter how big or strong you are. It's about whether you're tough enough to deal with a situation and assess your strengths and weaknesses realistically.

mrblisterdundee
08-29-2015, 06:27 PM
He made the all-defensive second team last season, so I don't see how he's "soft." He had the highest PER in the league and took a so-so team to the playoffs in the western conference while in a season-long beast mode.
And Davis is young enough that he could have been coming out of college this summer. So he's definitely not overrated and is going to keep getting better. Think Tim Duncan with more athleticism.

da ThRONe
08-29-2015, 08:11 PM
He made the all-defensive second team last season, so I don't see how he's "soft." He had the highest PER in the league and took a so-so team to the playoffs in the western conference while in a season-long beast mode.
And Davis is young enough that he could have been coming out of college this summer. So he's definitely not overrated and is going to keep getting better. Think Tim Duncan with more athleticism.

What roster that didn't make the playoffs in the West was better than my Pelicans? His potential is certainly there, but he's not nearly as good as people are making him out to be as of last season. Awards are fine and dandy, but that's as much based on popularity it is merit. I'm not as high on advance stats in sports that's not baseball. There are so many things that factor into numbers that stats just can't account for at least as of now.

KnicksorBust
08-29-2015, 10:24 PM
Lol stud

/thread

mrblisterdundee
08-30-2015, 01:12 AM
What roster that didn't make the playoffs in the West was better than my Pelicans? His potential is certainly there, but he's not nearly as good as people are making him out to be as of last season. Awards are fine and dandy, but that's as much based on popularity it is merit. I'm not as high on advance stats in sports that's not baseball. There are so many things that factor into numbers that stats just can't account for at least as of now.

You don't rank fifth in MVP vote shares, lead the league in PER, make the all-NBA second defensive team and take a so-so roster to the playoffs in the ultra-competitive western conference at age 21 through popularity. Davis was a beast on both ends, still college-age and poised to become the most dominant power forward since Duncan. In fact, Davis outperformed Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett and Dirk Nowitzki from when they were 21.

xxplayerxx23
08-30-2015, 11:31 AM
Read he is ganna be shooting 3s this year he hits that at a solid clip he will be the best player in the game. Insane and to think he hasn't even come close to reaching his actual defensive potential is super scary.

BallIsAll
08-30-2015, 11:40 AM
If it was like that Nene wouldn't be soft and we all know he's a ballerina

BKdoubleStacker
08-30-2015, 02:13 PM
Lol at overrated

flea
08-30-2015, 02:31 PM
Needs to stay healthy, play more physically, and refine his game. I'm okay with the guy shooting a couple 3s per game but I don't want him to be a damn stretch 4, that's why the team has Ryan Anderson. I want him causing problems in the paint before and after the shot - not standing around like Steph Curry or Harden and twiddling their arms together in the air when they manage to hit a jumper.

da ThRONe
08-30-2015, 04:34 PM
You don't rank fifth in MVP vote shares, lead the league in PER, make the all-NBA second defensive team and take a so-so roster to the playoffs in the ultra-competitive western conference at age 21 through popularity. Davis was a beast on both ends, still college-age and poised to become the most dominant power forward since Duncan. In fact, Davis outperformed Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett and Dirk Nowitzki from when they were 21.

If he was such a "beast" on both ends why was our defense so terrible. His defense is probably the most overrated aspect of his game. With him and Asik we should have been a top 5 defense or at least top in rim protection. For comparison look at what Rudy Gobert did for the Jazz defense. That's being a beast on D.

Dade County
08-30-2015, 05:48 PM
AD is ****'in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q75gnSYsSw...

His body may be a little fragile, but that doesn't mean the way that he approaches the game is soft.

mrblisterdundee
09-01-2015, 01:55 PM
If he was such a "beast" on both ends why was our defense so terrible. His defense is probably the most overrated aspect of his game. With him and Asik we should have been a top 5 defense or at least top in rim protection. For comparison look at what Rudy Gobert did for the Jazz defense. That's being a beast on D.

Go ahead and explain that to all the professionals who put Davis on the all-NBA defensive second team.
When Kevin Garnett was 21, Minnesota had the exact same record as the Pelicans had last year, and a defense ranked 23rd in the league (the Pelicans were ranked 22nd). So by your logic, you can also tell them how overrated Garnett's defense was.

Tony_Starks
09-01-2015, 04:13 PM
Not soft. Needs to lose that fruity unibrow but other than that the kid has crazy game.

CityofChaos
09-03-2015, 03:07 AM
No way is he overrated or soft. His playoff performance against the Warriors is a good testament as to how damn skilled he is and also a good measure as to how much better he will be in the future...and Im a Warriors fan.

He absolutely dismantled the Warriors defense. Go watch the highlights. They had no answer for him. Bogut, Ezeli, nor Draymond (whom by the way are tough defenders) could stop him. And It wasnt just because Davis is quick and lengthy, but because he showed that he is a highly skilled post player capable of hitting a 20 foot jumpshot which makes him almost 100% completely unguardable. Top that off with him already being an elite defender at 22 and not to mention him working on having a 3pt shot makes him even scarier.

The Pelicans could have a potential dynasty on within their grasp if and only IF they build a solid team around him. Oh and he also needs to bulk up a bit.

da ThRONe
09-03-2015, 10:09 AM
No way is he overrated or soft. His playoff performance against the Warriors is a good testament as to how damn skilled he is and also a good measure as to how much better he will be in the future...and Im a Warriors fan.

He absolutely dismantled the Warriors defense. Go watch the highlights. They had no answer for him. Bogut, Ezeli, nor Draymond (whom by the way are tough defenders) could stop him. And It wasnt just because Davis is quick and lengthy, but because he showed that he is a highly skilled post player capable of hitting a 20 foot jumpshot which makes him almost 100% completely unguardable. Top that off with him already being an elite defender at 22 and not to mention him working on having a 3pt shot makes him even scarier.

The Pelicans could have a potential dynasty on within their grasp if and only IF they build a solid team around him. Oh and he also needs to bulk up a bit.

Davis is definitely a great player with the potential to get better as he has taking some serious leaps already. However his defense is being vastly overrated. He had big games going against the Warriors and he did show some progression in the post but he wasn't dominant there. Maybe you should watch the highlights again. Most of his damage was done as a pnr finisher and jumpshooter followed by facing up. Again given the progress he's made in his age if you want to project him to be among the best that's logical however he isn't there not as of last season.

YAALREADYKNO
09-03-2015, 10:32 AM
His defense is a bit overrated but that's about it. The man is the best PF in the league right now and will only continue to get better.

JasonJohnHorn
09-03-2015, 11:16 AM
It's not that he will be great, he is great. The question is how much greater will he be.

As for being soft... about as soft as adamantium, or that fawking kidney stone I passes last week.

da ThRONe
09-03-2015, 04:53 PM
His defense is a bit overrated but that's about it. The man is the best PF in the league right now and will only continue to get better.

That's a matter of opinions. Right now I'm taking Griffin, and Aldridge ahead of Davis for sure. Don't know if I'd take Davis over Bosh or Ibaka. I just think it's a case of group think at work. Everybody has build him up since UK and he's lived up to a lot of the hype therefore people are giving him more credit then he's actually earned. I'm a Pelicans fan so I'm rooting for Davis to be an all-time great. However I won't hand out those praise until I see him have that type of impact on the game.

mrblisterdundee
09-07-2015, 09:10 PM
That's a matter of opinions. Right now I'm taking Griffin, and Aldridge ahead of Davis for sure. Don't know if I'd take Davis over Bosh or Ibaka. I just think it's a case of group think at work. Everybody has build him up since UK and he's lived up to a lot of the hype therefore people are giving him more credit then he's actually earned. I'm a Pelicans fan so I'm rooting for Davis to be an all-time great. However I won't hand out those praise until I see him have that type of impact on the game.

Are you kidding me? Davis produced more offensive win shares than Griffin or Aldridge, while having a lower usage rate and a higher true shooting percentage. Meanwhile, he was noticeably better on defense.
And the fact that you included Bosh, a 30-year-old coming off of blood clot and foot surgery, and Ibaka, who's not in the same realm offensively and even slightly lesser defensively, is a joke in itself.
Davis is the best power forward in the league.

andy2518
09-07-2015, 10:46 PM
Waaaay too early to tell. Let's see how he does in the playoffs with a decent squad at his side first.