PDA

View Full Version : 2016 SPing and BP

ruckus16969
08-27-2015, 08:04 PM
What would your rotation and SPing look like??

Try to be realistic

ruckus16969
08-27-2015, 08:11 PM
Tough for the SPing end cause we have 6 already so even if we get one we got to trade one

Wojo
08-28-2015, 09:04 PM
#1 Price
#2 Strasburg
#3 Shields
#4 Porcello
#5 Miley
#5a Owens

5th Barnes
5tha Light
6th Tazawa
7th ERod
7tha Tommy Hunter
8th Koji
9th Kimbrel

Sign Price
Trade for Strasburg
Trade for Shields and Kimbrel
Sign Hunter

Nasty!

win red sox
08-28-2015, 10:03 PM
1) Carrasco
2) Strasburg
3) E rod
4) Porcello
5) Buchholz
6) Kelly

cl Chapman
rh Koji
rh Tazawa
rh Capps
rh Parnell
lh Layne
lh Ross

Bo Sox Fan
08-28-2015, 11:41 PM
Cueto
Gray
Teheran
Porcello
Owens

Uehara
Doolittle (L)
Tazawa
Escobar (L)
Workman
Kelly
Miley / Wright / Johnson

- Johnny Cueto, 7 years $185 mil

To Atlanta:
OF. Manuel Margot
C. Christian Vazquez
SP. Teddy Stankiewicz

To Boston:
SP. Julio Teheran

To Oakland:
SP. Eduardo Rodriguez
3B. Rafael Devers
1B. Sam Travis
RP. Pat Light
2B. Wendell Rijo

To Boston:
SP. Sonny Gray
CP. Sean Doolittle

There's no point in bringing in Price to bang heads with Ortiz in the clubhouse and by all accounts Boston is more interested in Cueto and almost pursued him at the deadline after that "false hope" winning streak.

Give or take away from the Gray deal but he can be had. Buchholz either gets his option flat out declined or picked up and dealt for prospects.

ruckus16969
08-29-2015, 11:39 AM
I wouldn't trade ERod. We have way to many other prospects that could get that deal done. If I did trade ERod it would only be for King Felix, Kershaw, Harvey, Sale, Kuechel

Bo Sox Fan
08-29-2015, 12:16 PM
E-Rod had an outstanding start when he first broke in with the club, but he's come back down to earth pretty hard in his second half of work.

He's hardly untouchable.

RedSoxtober
08-29-2015, 07:50 PM
E-Rod had an outstanding start when he first broke in with the club, but he's come back down to earth pretty hard in his second half of work.

He's hardly untouchable.

I agree with the main point but you're overstating his "coming back down to earth." He has 10 starts of 2 runs or less (11 with 2ER or less). The concern is less with his dominant starts than his flameouts (4 starts with 6ER or more) that are coming every third of fourth start. That's obviously a trend that has to turn. Another mild concern is that lineups facing him for the second time have fared significantly better (except for NYY :).

Corey
08-30-2015, 01:50 AM
Anyone think Kelly has it figured out? Trade bait or legit option for a starter? Dominant closer?

He's been lights out in August. I was always a fan of his stuff, but not the stuff between his ears. If he finally clicked, he's a legit candidate for next year. Im glad we gave him another look.

RedSoxtober
08-31-2015, 09:24 AM
I've been pleasantly surprised with Kelly's turn around. What's encouraging about it is the fact that the success has come from an actual change in his approach -- mixing in his offspeed stuff, especially his changeup. Had there not been a fundamental change like that then I would be quicker to dismiss it. His old Nuke Laloosh approach would only work in the BP but this one might pay some dividends.

Baller005
08-31-2015, 11:09 AM
Go after Grienke!

Station 13
08-31-2015, 12:38 PM
Kelly is a good #5, I'd keep him.

Miley is your prototypical #5 with no upside, not even a little. He blows up after pitching 5 inning way too often. His 10-10 record shows that, he just isn't good.

Porcello needs fixing, we're stuck with him. He needs to be a 200IP 4.00 ERA guy to make the best of that contract.

Clay, time to go. Annoying pitcher, annoying personality, just an endless cycle of this horror show.

I'd get Grienkie to lead the rotation, or make a big trade with the Mets.

Bo Sox Fan
08-31-2015, 01:01 PM
Joe Kelly couldn't carry Curtis Leskanic's bag of jock strings into the ball park for the majority of this season up until his recent small sample size. There's no way I trust him going forward. Two of Kelly, Miley and/or Buchholz have to go to clear space for the kids (trade acquisition) and free agents that should be taking over this God aweful last place rotation.

Porcello is obviously going nowhere.

randyisgoinsolo
08-31-2015, 03:08 PM
Kelly is a good #5, I'd keep him.

Miley is your prototypical #5 with no upside, not even a little. He blows up after pitching 5 inning way too often. His 10-10 record shows that, he just isn't good.

Porcello needs fixing, we're stuck with him. He needs to be a 200IP 4.00 ERA guy to make the best of that contract.

Clay, time to go. Annoying pitcher, annoying personality, just an endless cycle of this horror show.

I'd get Grienkie to lead the rotation, or make a big trade with the Mets.

Agree except for the Greinke and Mets part. The only way Greinke becomes a free agent is if he opts out and no one knows for sure and with that really good Mets rotation no way I see them breaking it up especially with Wheeler coming back next season, if Wheeler seems like he's healthy and ready to during spring training then the Mets will keep their rotation and contend for next season as well.

RedSoxtober
08-31-2015, 03:25 PM
Agree except for the Greinke and Mets part. The only way Greinke becomes a free agent is if he opts out and no one knows for sure
More so if you consider that the Dodgers are closing in on a $300M payroll. Does anyone REALLY think that Greinke is going to sign anywhere else? Or that someone could possibly outbid LAD? He's going to extend his time in Dodger blue.

with that really good Mets rotation no way I see them breaking it up especially with Wheeler coming back next season, if Wheeler seems like he's healthy and ready to during spring training then the Mets will keep their rotation and contend for next season as well.

I don't agree with this. In fact, the Mets are precisely the team that I would be targeting in search of cost controlled starting pitching this offseason. I don't disagree that the Mets will be reluctant to part with any of their SPs but I think they also recognize that their lineup is going to have to score more than 2 runs per game a bit more frequently. They'll go hard after Cespedes but he could use additional help.

ruckus16969
08-31-2015, 03:29 PM
They could still contend even if they trade Harvey or Degrom they have Niese being very serviceable and Matz is gonna be back soon. And the Mets can probably only afford to retain 2 of there Big 3. They could get more value from trading Degrom than they would Noah. I can't see them selling Harvey. But a package of Shaw JBJ Johnson (who I see as a closer lately) with a couple B types could land Us DeGrom. It would give them much needed boost to there offense and fill 2/3 holes in their roster right away. With Cespedes most Likely gone this would be co$t effective answer to there roster issues

RedSoxtober
09-01-2015, 10:28 AM
Worth the read if you have a few minutes: Gammons on Dombroski (http://www.gammonsdaily.com/peter-gammons-sea-of-possibilities-for-dombrowski-in-boston/)

Bo Sox Fan
09-01-2015, 01:03 PM
It'd be sweet if Pedro can convince his boy Cueto to take some kind of a discount when we sign him to address other needs like the bullpen.

ruckus16969
09-13-2015, 03:09 PM
Wonder if the Dodgers would take on Porcellos contract? He may fair better in those big NL west parks and they have a habit of taking on player with big contracts.

Or maybe we can pull off a huge deal with the Reds for Chapman and Votto for Porcello Owens Vasquez Marrero Kelly Shaw and probably a couple other pieces. That's 7 young cost controlled guys and they all have great upside.

kyubi256
09-13-2015, 06:54 PM
They could still contend even if they trade Harvey or Degrom they have Niese being very serviceable and Matz is gonna be back soon. And the Mets can probably only afford to retain 2 of there Big 3. They could get more value from trading Degrom than they would Noah. I can't see them selling Harvey. But a package of Shaw JBJ Johnson (who I see as a closer lately) with a couple B types could land Us DeGrom. It would give them much needed boost to there offense and fill 2/3 holes in their roster right away. With Cespedes most Likely gone this would be co$t effective answer to there roster issues

I think the mets would trade Harvey over any of the other guys as he'd be most expensive. And they wouldn't do it for prospects, they'd want mlb players. Shaw fits no spot for us with Duda and Wright. It'd be something like Betts/Bogaerts for Harvey as the headline of the deal. Mainly Bogaerts as we'd try to keep Cespedes.

j-bay
09-13-2015, 07:05 PM
Wonder if the Dodgers would take on Porcellos contract? He may fair better in those big NL west parks and they have a habit of taking on player with big contracts.

Or maybe we can pull off a huge deal with the Reds for Chapman and Votto for Porcello Owens Vasquez Marrero Kelly Shaw and probably a couple other pieces. That's 7 young cost controlled guys and they all have great upside.

Not going to happen for that. The Reds came out and said they want a big package for Chapman.

Bo Sox Fan
09-13-2015, 08:02 PM
I think the mets would trade Harvey over any of the other guys as he'd be most expensive. And they wouldn't do it for prospects, they'd want mlb players. Shaw fits no spot for us with Duda and Wright. It'd be something like Betts/Bogaerts for Harvey as the headline of the deal. Mainly Bogaerts as we'd try to keep Cespedes.

This seems like the most realistic return from the Mets point of view and I don't disagree, but before I hang up the phone from the Red Sox perspective, I'd offer Pedroia (2B) Margot (OF) Guerra (SS) and a lesser hyped pitching prospect in return for Harvey.

A good mix of win now & near ready top prospects.

ruckus16969
09-13-2015, 09:04 PM

I wrote this right before all this Harvey news came out again. Now I believe Harvey will be traded no matter what. I'd throw Vasquez Marrero to play SS next year for them Shaw and maybe Johnson. 4 guys that can step right in and play

ruckus16969
09-13-2015, 09:08 PM
Not going to happen for that. The Reds came out and said they want a big package for Chapman.

That is a huge package. It's 3 mlb SP inter team control. A 1B C and SS that all big league ready

filihok
09-14-2015, 05:49 PM
I'll speak on behalf of the Dodgers
Yes, I'd consider Porcello

He had the highest K-rate of his career this year
He had the 2nd lowest BB-rate of his career
He had the highest HR/FB rate.

HR/FB rate is the leat predictive of those numbers.
If that settles back in to normal rates he's the same guy he has been the last few seasons (the increase in K/BB ratio is offset by a lower GB rate).

But, of course, I wouldn't tell you that if I was trying to trade for him.

I'd just say we'd take part of the contract off of your hands for a nothing-happening prospect.

Bo Sox Fan
09-19-2015, 11:34 PM
Here's a new one to wrap your head around with the recent blowup in Nationals camp.

To Washington:
SP. Rick Porcello
C. Blake Swihart
SS. Javier Guerra
PTBNL

To Boston:
SP. Max Scherzer

Scherzer
(F.A. / Trade)
Rodriguez
Buchholz
Miley

nocal_lbm
09-20-2015, 02:55 PM
Rich Hill will be our ace next year:D

ruckus16969
09-20-2015, 05:38 PM
20 K's in 2 games isn't bad at all lol

filihok
09-22-2015, 08:10 AM
Here's a new one to wrap your head around with the recent blowup in Nationals camp.

To Washington:
SP. Rick Porcello
C. Blake Swihart
SS. Javier Guerra
PTBNL

To Boston:
SP. Max Scherzer
I doubt that the Nationals would be looking to trade Scherzer anytime soon unless completely bowled over by the offer.

I don't think this would bowl them over.

Swihart would certainly be a good get for them. Ramos hits free agency after next season and he was pretty bad this year, so they could be looking to move on from him.

SS Trey Turner is a better prospect than Guerra they also have Wilmer Diffo who's about equal to Guerra. With Rendon already in the bigs, Guerra doesn't add much.

Porcello, I've already commented on above. I think he's a bounceback candidate, but, overall, I think this package, while not ridiculous, isn't close to enough to tempt the Nationals into a trade.

sawxfan
09-23-2015, 01:50 AM
Joe Kelly couldn't carry Curtis Leskanic's bag of jock strings into the ball park for the majority of this season up until his recent small sample size. There's no way I trust him going forward. Two of Kelly, Miley and/or Buchholz have to go to clear space for the kids (trade acquisition) and free agents that should be taking over this God aweful last place rotation.

Porcello is obviously going nowhere.

Jock strings? Some how you made them sound even grosser.

RedSoxtober
09-23-2015, 10:17 AM
The man of steel...

The Red Sox had wanted Clay Buchholz to pitch again in a game this season, even if only for one inning of relief, but that seems unlikely, Lovullo said.

Buchholz is still recovering from a flexor tendon strain and is yet to throw off a mound.Boston Herald

papipapsmanny
09-23-2015, 07:57 PM
Miley was such an underrated get for us. He is the perfect number 5 starter. Switching to the AL and currently with a 2.7 WAR

Too bad we are going to be paying Porcello 20 mil per year for essentially at best what Miley is doing this year.

We literally have two of the same pitcher and one is on a fair deal and the other on an absolutely insane deal

Bo Sox Fan
09-23-2015, 08:50 PM
Porcello has been one of the better pitchers in baseball the second half. If he can carry that over into 2016 we're in fine shape.

Buchholz is the problem. Let that unreliable, fragile pain of glass panty walk and put that $13.5 million towards the bullpen or sign a legitimate #2 like a Zimmerman / Samaridjia after trading for an ace like a Harvey / Gray.

Fla.SticKy
09-24-2015, 02:21 AM
See a lot of Harvey being brought up lately.........I'd stay away from that one, I got a real bad feeling about that guy. Go sign Price or Greinke, or "try" and pull off a Gray trade, then beat down Clevelands door about Carrasco or Salazar

celticsman2009
09-24-2015, 09:47 AM
I'm not trading the farm. Sign one of the top tier free agent pitchers to pitch with Porcello, E-rod, Miley and possible another free agent pitcher or Owens/Johnson. I'd pump the BP up as best as I could with available money.

celticsman2009
09-24-2015, 09:55 AM
We could be looking at

Price
Gallardo (FA)
Rodriguez
Porcello
Miley

Porcello has shown improvement the second half. Miley will never be perfect but as a fifth guy, could do worse. Gallardo isn't an ace, but has proven to be able to pitch in the AL. Wouldn't want him long term though.

randyisgoinsolo
09-24-2015, 11:06 AM
See a lot of Harvey being brought up lately.........I'd stay away from that one, I got a real bad feeling about that guy. Go sign Price or Greinke, or "try" and pull off a Gray trade, then beat down Clevelands door about Carrasco or Salazar

Greinke ain't going no where and even if he does opt out the Dodgers are going to outbid everyone. I do hope they go all out on Price, as for the Gray trade it all the depends on how Billy Beane goes, he could go the Donaldson route where he can trade him for nothing or go the expensive route and ask for the moon. No one knows for sure about Cleveland if they don't ask for much Carrasco or Salazar seems more reasonable.

Fla.SticKy
09-24-2015, 01:39 PM
Greinke ain't going no where and even if he does opt out the Dodgers are going to outbid everyone. I do hope they go all out on Price, as for the Gray trade it all the depends on how Billy Beane goes, he could go the Donaldson route where he can trade him for nothing or go the expensive route and ask for the moon. No one knows for sure about Cleveland if they don't ask for much Carrasco or Salazar seems more reasonable.

I should've worded that a little better. What I meant to say was, go hard at Price & Grienke and hopefully land one of the two. Also, I wouldn't mind Zimmerman either (make a solid run at him too as a back up plan), as he will come a little bit cheaper. I'd love to have Gray, but I think they're gonna want way to much, and if so I'd rather pass on it. If we can get Beane while his delusional like the Jays did than go for it. As far as the Cleveland pitchers, I'm huge on them and would be very hot to cut some kind of deal with them. We for sure need to acquire and spend money on BP help also.

RedSoxtober
09-25-2015, 04:17 PM
The more that I think about it the more I am convincing myself that Zimmermann is the way to go. No offense to those who would rather see Price or Greinke call Fenway home but I strongly believe that the Sox will (and probably should) stay in the bidding only long enough to assure their price goes into the ridiculous stratosphere that it's likely to find. With their track records they won't (and shouldn't) expect to take less than Scherzer got and that's not really money that I would like to see spent.

The case for Zimmermann that is forming in my mind runs along these lines. First, as a RHP he provides some balance to the young guys coming up (Owens, Johnson, E-Rod) along with Miley as a #4/5. He's likely a bit less expensive than the others but the guy has not missed a start in four years (I'm not sure why he missed Sep-2011 but, hey, so did most of the Sox pitchers). I love the control numbers (4.1 k/bb) which gives me some confidence that he might age well. I really like the fact that he has the fewest IP of the big name candidates (1083 vs 1400+ for Cueto and Price, 2K+ for Greinke). That again gives me some hope that he'll get deeper into his 30s while being effective.

nocal_lbm
09-25-2015, 11:30 PM
20 K's in 2 games isn't bad at all lol

30 in 3 is crazy

ruckus16969
09-26-2015, 04:17 PM
Zimmerman was my number 1 guy before this season started.

Not so convinced now but would be oust if we got him either.

I want to stay as far away from Cueto as possible. I see James Shields written all over him

TragicallyHip
09-30-2015, 05:31 PM
We could be looking at

Price
Gallardo (FA)
Rodriguez
Porcello
Miley

Porcello has shown improvement the second half. Miley will never be perfect but as a fifth guy, could do worse. Gallardo isn't an ace, but has proven to be able to pitch in the AL. Wouldn't want him long term though.

This is the most realistic scenario, to me.

Go all in on Price- It's only money and there's plenty of it around Boston.

Decline Buchholz' option and let him be a headache for someone else because lord knows his trade value is near all-time low, if not practically negative.

Move Kelly to the bullpen and attempt to groom him into a closer.

Start the season off with a rotation of:
Price
Porcello
E-Rod
Miley
Owens/Johnson

See how it goes to begin with, make a trade for a #2 or #3 if need be.

Bo Sox Fan
09-30-2015, 08:31 PM
I doubt Price wants to come here. If I could relate this to the NFL, he seems like the kind of guy that would rather sign with the Ravens just to try and stick it to New England. He's never liked the Red Sox and seems to constantly jaw with Ortiz on the field and through social media.

Saying all that, Cueto's price tag has likely dropped considerably, but Jordan Zimmerman fits all the check marks this team needs. He's a below average ace / above average #2, Lester like.

Step 2, blockbuster. Use the farm at all costs to bring in one of Gray or Harvey.

Gray/Harvey
Zimmerman
Rodriguez
Porcello
Miley

Abracadabra, playoffs here we come.

ruckus16969
09-30-2015, 08:52 PM
more I think about it I'd love Harvey. And I'm not sure we need 2. I'm not even sure if I want 2 new guys anymore. If we can get our hands on Price or Grienke keep Buch Erod Porcello and Miley. Johnson swing man Kelly traded or closing. Owens waiting in AAA for the yearly Buch collapse

devildogdco
10-01-2015, 08:48 AM
Braves fan here,

If you all are looking for Starting Pitching, I don't think anyone (aside from Miller) in the Braves rotation is untouchable. I also don't think we are inclined to trade anyone but if it nets us someone we can control for LF for a few years and maybe more young pitching it might happen. Teheran, Wisler, Perez, Foltynewicz, Banuelos, Weber are all candidates to be moved at the right price

randyisgoinsolo
10-01-2015, 11:53 AM
Not sure why Greinke is even the conversation or any Red Sox thread for that matter, the guy is doing great but even if he opts out he ain't leaving the Dodgers and the Dodgers are just going to outbid everyone, so the thought of Greinke coming to Boston seems awesome odds are 1 Million to 1 that happens. If the Sox can't get Price then they should just go after both Cueto and Zimmermann all they're doing is spending money instead of giving up the farm, who knows maybe if the Red Sox and Padres can get together and make a decent trade to get Ross and Kimbrel then that would be great.

My rotation via free agency.
Cueto
Zimmermann
E-Rod
Porcello
Miley

My rotation via free agency and trades
Cueto or Zimmermann
Gray,Carrasco,Salazar or Ross
E-Rod
Porcello
Miley

RedSoxtober
10-01-2015, 02:38 PM
Not sure why Greinke is even the conversation or any Red Sox thread for that matter, the guy is doing great but even if he opts out he ain't leaving the Dodgers and the Dodgers are just going to outbid everyone, so the thought of Greinke coming to Boston seems awesome odds are 1 Million to 1 that happens. If the Sox can't get Price then they should just go after both Cueto and Zimmermann all they're doing is spending money instead of giving up the farm, who knows maybe if the Red Sox and Padres can get together and make a decent trade to get Ross and Kimbrel then that would be great.

I'm not sure that it would be wise to have in excess of $65M invested in three SP.

celticsman2009
10-01-2015, 04:49 PM
I'll pass on Zimmerman. He's had a bad year AND his velocity is down. No thanks.

RedSoxtober
10-02-2015, 09:12 AM
This is the second injury that I've heard him comment about how he would have worked harder if the situation were more important. It's part of what pisses me off about him.

Buchholz hasn’t pitched since July 10, when he walked off the mound at Fenway Park in the fourth inning of a game against the Yankees complaining of elbow soreness. He was diagnosed with a flexor strain, and with the Sox falling out of contention after the All-Star break, he opted for a conservative course of treatment.

“If we were in a different scenario, a different position, I would’ve started doing my stuff to get back to starting games a month ago,” Buchholz said. “But it really wasn’t worth it, the position we were in, the position I was in. We weighed our decision and came out with I’d rather be healthy going into the offseason and healthy the beginning of next year than something happening, us not making the playoffs and me having to rehab all offseason.”

Buchholz threw another bullpen session here Wednesday and emerged without any issue. He’s unsure whether he will throw again in Cleveland, but because Buchholz has been given a clean bill of health, it’s almost certain the Red Sox will exercise their $13 million option on his contract for next season.Boston Herald

j-bay
10-02-2015, 06:02 PM
We wouldn't lose our pick signing Price.

Bo Sox Fan
10-02-2015, 06:29 PM
We wouldn't lose our pick signing Price.

Or Johnny Cueto.

A healthy Johnny Cueto preferably.

ruckus16969
10-03-2015, 11:20 PM
I'd hope we go all our for Price.

We should have got Scherzer. Not Panda