PDA

View Full Version : Current Top-10 Players in the NBA (#7)

Shammyguy3
08-26-2015, 08:36 AM
Choose from the poll options and debate who the current Top Ten best players in the NBA are. This should not be based on who had the best season last year, but rather who you would choose for a team in order to win right now.

Additional options will be added as we go along based on who will realistically receive votes at that level (or if players are requested in the thread).

1. Lebron (73% of the vote)
2. Durant (55% of the vote)
3. Curry (55% of the vote)
4. Davis (50% of the vote)
5. Harden (57% of the vote)
6. Paul (52% of the vote)
7. ?

cmellofan15
08-26-2015, 10:23 AM
was a tough choice for me between Westy and BG. oddly enough their stats both have suffered a tad from playing alongside superstars and they have both showed that they can be the man when necessary (usually due to injury).

I honestly couldn't tell you why I picked westbrook instead, because for every great thing about his game I can think of another great thing about blake's.

Clippersfan86
08-26-2015, 12:11 PM
I got Westbrook ahead of Griffin for this one. Griffin has his case but Westbrook's month long stretch or whatever this year was INSANE. He was scoring what like 37 ppg? To go with triple doubles. I'm thinking Griffin makes a serious MVP run this year like two seasons ago though.

MinnesotaFtw
08-26-2015, 04:00 PM
Westbrook.

curtcocaine
08-26-2015, 04:29 PM
Westy.

Hawkeye15
08-26-2015, 05:52 PM
eh, I guess Westbrook here for me. Griffin might have a case too, but I think Westbrook's awesome tear was just that....awesome

Shammyguy3
08-26-2015, 07:15 PM
this should be an easy vote, and i think #8 will be rather easy too

CousinsEvansDUO
08-26-2015, 07:43 PM
Yeah #8 will be easy: cousins.

Westbrook
Cousins
Griffin

Hawkeye15
08-26-2015, 08:53 PM
Yeah #8 will be easy: cousins.

Westbrook
Cousins
Griffin

obviously you don't watch any other team than the Kings, but my question is, when your Kings are playing, are you even aware there is another team on the floor at the same time?

FlashBolt
08-26-2015, 10:50 PM
Easily Russ for me. The next three will be easier tbh.

mightybosstone
08-27-2015, 07:50 AM
I haven't been on PSD much at all the last couple of months, but I've vaguely paid attention to this, and I'm impressed with how the results have come out. If I had to sit down and objectively come up with a list of the best players in the league, my list might actually be identical to this one. Great job, guys! And I agree with the rest that Westbrook deserves to go here. I'd still give Paul the edge over Westy because of his substantial edge in efficiency, but Russell is clearly the best player left on the board at this point.

cmellofan15
08-27-2015, 12:48 PM
well this one was pretty one sided lol i'm assuming the next one will be similar and then the debate starts again

EDUTEXANS
08-27-2015, 06:03 PM
I also voted for Westbrook, but I don't think the difference between him and Griffin isn't as big as the voting suggests.

The Blake Griffin from last season's Playoffs definitely presents a great case right here.

Griffin easily next.

Allphakenny1
08-27-2015, 09:05 PM
I also voted for Westbrook, but I don't think the difference between him and Griffin isn't as big as the voting suggests.

The Blake Griffin from last season's Playoffs definitely presents a great case right here.

Griffin easily next.

Completely agree. I chose Westbrook because I feel he is the slightly better player this year, but I felt Griffin was better the year before. If I were starting a team right now and had to choose a player for now and the future, I would choose Griffin.

Clippersfan86
08-27-2015, 09:28 PM

Griffin easily next.

Definitely. TBH if Griffin replicated 25/12/7/1.5/1.5 come regular season with solid defense, he'd be gunning for the MVP... although with the team currently constructed this way with a bunch of guys who need touches, it will never happen probably.

Chronz
08-27-2015, 09:35 PM
This is easily Westbrook, BG is just as easily the next logical pick.

Definitely. TBH if Griffin replicated 25/12/7/1.5/1.5 come regular season with solid defense, he'd be gunning for the MVP... although with the team currently constructed this way with a bunch of guys who need touches, it will never happen probably.
Why? He can make it happen if hes dominant enough to force the team to adhere. I'd be more impressed with the decent defense, I would sacrifice all those offensive gains if it meant he played inspired D all year. If hes sacrificing as much as others have in the past, then we should be a dominant team, if we aren't its because Blake has yet to take the leap.

Clippersfan86
08-27-2015, 10:19 PM
This is easily Westbrook, BG is just as easily the next logical pick.

Why? He can make it happen if hes dominant enough to force the team to adhere. I'd be more impressed with the decent defense, I would sacrifice all those offensive gains if it meant he played inspired D all year. If hes sacrificing as much as others have in the past, then we should be a dominant team, if we aren't its because Blake has yet to take the leap.

We all agree he needs to be more assertive, but I'm not sure it's in his nature. Although the last playoff run may be a sign that he's trying. I think what separates Barkley from Griffin isn't skills TBH. It's 100 percent the mental difference IMO. Barkley had more fire and DEMANDED the shots, touches and KNEW he was the man. Blake is too comfortable deferring to teammates and often times too unselfish. I do agree with you that a defensive leap is all I'd need to feel really satisfied. If he can stay at 22/10/4+ ish with much better defense he will be a top 5 player for the rest of his prime probably.

FlashBolt
08-28-2015, 04:38 PM
We all agree he needs to be more assertive, but I'm not sure it's in his nature. Although the last playoff run may be a sign that he's trying. I think what separates Barkley from Griffin isn't skills TBH. It's 100 percent the mental difference IMO. Barkley had more fire and DEMANDED the shots, touches and KNEW he was the man. Blake is too comfortable deferring to teammates and often times too unselfish. I do agree with you that a defensive leap is all I'd need to feel really satisfied. If he can stay at 22/10/4+ ish with much better defense he will be a top 5 player for the rest of his prime probably.

Blake is too soft.. sorry, that's just how it is. The difference is spot on but I wanted to add that Barkley was looking to be the best player. I don't think Blake looks to be the best player rather, he just tries to do what he can (which is not enough to get from point B to A). But I also can't blame Blake here. He plays with one of the greatest PG's ever on his team. We'd be seeing a completely different Blake in terms of numbers if it weren't for CP3. Do you think Barkley would be the best player with CP3 on that Suns or Sixers team? I don't.

FlashBolt
08-28-2015, 04:40 PM
The next is easily Blake. Idk how to judge Melo but I think he deserves a top ten spot.

EDUTEXANS
08-28-2015, 06:56 PM
I disagree that Blake is soft. Just because he isn't a shot blocker, it does not mean he is soft. He's actually become a pretty tough post defender, in my opinion.

He's a flopper, though.

flea
08-28-2015, 07:18 PM
Blake is too soft.. sorry, that's just how it is. The difference is spot on but I wanted to add that Barkley was looking to be the best player. I don't think Blake looks to be the best player rather, he just tries to do what he can (which is not enough to get from point B to A). But I also can't blame Blake here. He plays with one of the greatest PG's ever on his team. We'd be seeing a completely different Blake in terms of numbers if it weren't for CP3. Do you think Barkley would be the best player with CP3 on that Suns or Sixers team? I don't.

Rofl wait, are you saying CP3 is a better than Barkley? From a Lebronophile that's pretty amazing.

Chronz
08-28-2015, 09:07 PM
Rofl wait, are you saying CP3 is a better than Barkley? From a Lebronophile that's pretty amazing.
Its not that asinine, I respect the people who feel John Stockton was at one point superior to Karl Malone, more important to his team etc... Well CP3 is this eras John Stockton and Karl Malone was always compared to Chuck, so ipso facto, CP3 can be compared to Chuck. Chuck had the game to play off anyone tho, if his PG was ball dominant he would just crash the glass more, fill the lanes, if his PG was of the scoring variety he would create more for others than he normally would. Blake doesn't really have that yet, thats the main thing preventing his greatness and what holds our team back.

I dont know about completely different but I definitely know they wouldn't approach Chucks. Chuck would be the teams best player, especially at Blakes current age/stage of his career. Peak CP3 was similarly dominant but not 30-year old CP3.

Clippersfan86
08-28-2015, 09:54 PM

I don't know that that's "soft" though? Can you be soft and be one of the most physical players in the NBA? Maybe mentally soft or lacking, but not physically? Kinda like Dwight. I'm 50/50 on this, but obviously hope you aren't right that Blake is just going to be this way forever. I WANT him to say "This is my fu**ing team, give me the ball and I'm going to carry us". Even if he fails at it, I want to see more fire.

Shammyguy3
08-28-2015, 10:15 PM
i knew this was gonna be an easy poll, but damn nearly 80% of the vote :laugh2:

FlashBolt
08-30-2015, 02:02 PM

I don't see the correlation.

I don't know that that's "soft" though? Can you be soft and be one of the most physical players in the NBA? Maybe mentally soft or lacking, but not physically? Kinda like Dwight. I'm 50/50 on this, but obviously hope you aren't right that Blake is just going to be this way forever. I WANT him to say "This is my fu**ing team, give me the ball and I'm going to carry us". Even if he fails at it, I want to see more fire.

Soft as in mentally, though. I don't mean Tim Duncan either, here. Tim Duncan never backed down from anybody and just destroyed them. Blake seems to be contempt with how he is being played at times. Him playing vs Memphis really showed how weak he is mentally at times. You kinda just proved it, too. Blake needs to be more assertive at times and be more dominant. It seems when he does get on a roll, he doesn't sustain it. As for the Dwight comparison, yeah, but I think Dwight at his prime was better than Blake though. Dwight is soft as hell.. no one needs to mention that.

flea
08-30-2015, 02:21 PM
Its not that asinine, I respect the people who feel John Stockton was at one point superior to Karl Malone, more important to his team etc... Well CP3 is this eras John Stockton and Karl Malone was always compared to Chuck, so ipso facto, CP3 can be compared to Chuck. Chuck had the game to play off anyone tho, if his PG was ball dominant he would just crash the glass more, fill the lanes, if his PG was of the scoring variety he would create more for others than he normally would. Blake doesn't really have that yet, thats the main thing preventing his greatness and what holds our team back.

I don't see the correlation.

I don't consider Paul close to Barkley's impact, I've got Barkley as a top 15 player and better than Malone. The correlation is that Barkley is essentially the prototype for Lebron: big-bodied and athletic combo forward who can put up gaudy FG% and USG% rates because of a great transition and inside game. Yeah Lebron is more of a slasher and Barkley was more skilled as a post man, but they both liked to operate from the elbows a lot too.

If anyone compares to Lebron's game historically, it's not Magic and it's not Jordan IMO. It's Barkley. I think if Lebron didn't play in the zone defense era his game would look a lot more like Barkley's (and the converse is true, I think Barkley would take his man off the dribble like a slasher more in this era).