PDA

View Full Version : Clippers fined 250k for violating anti-circumvention with DeAndre Jordan

Clippersfan86
08-25-2015, 01:49 PM
https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/636232225911087105

Biggest fine in a while.

NBA Fines Clippers $250 K for violating NBA rules. From the release:

The NBA announced today that it has fined the Los Angeles Clippers $250,000 for violating NBA rules prohibiting teams from offering players unauthorized business or investment opportunities.

The violation involved a presentation made by the Clippers to free agent DeAndre Jordan on July 2 that improperly included a potential third-party endorsement opportunity for the player. While the NBA’s investigation ultimately concluded that the presentation of this opportunity had no impact on Jordan’s decision to re-sign with the Clippers, the team’s conduct nevertheless violated the league’s anti-circumvention rules.

The NBA’s anti-circumvention rules prohibit teams from, among other things, providing or arranging for others to provide any form of compensation to a player unless such compensation is included in a player contract or otherwise expressly permitted under the CBA.

Edit: Interesting thing is this is for the July 2nd meeting that made him choose the Mavs, NOT from the second one where they "kidnapped" him.

kdspurman
08-25-2015, 02:15 PM
Same amt they fined the Spurs for resting guys. i guess the kidnapping was fair game at that point huh lol

ManRam
08-25-2015, 02:22 PM
Same amt they fined the Spurs for resting guys. i guess the kidnapping was fair game at that point huh lol

they weren't fined for anything they did on "kidnapping day". :shrug: what they did that day was 100% fine. he was still an unrestricted free agent and thus allowed to meet with anyone.

kdspurman
08-25-2015, 02:52 PM
they weren't fined for anything they did on "kidnapping day". :shrug: what they did that day was 100% fine. he was still an unrestricted free agent and thus allowed to meet with anyone.

Right, I guess just thinking about the whole situation, (i understand the rules and what not) it's just funny to me that they were fined for a presentation but that drama filled day in Jordan's house and keeping Cuban away was all good. Again, I know he was 100% unrestricted at that point, but just looking at it from that perspective is kinda funny.